Ambitions: Continue or no?

A week or two ago I decided that hey, I was bored with trying to grind Rostygold to sell and save up Favors: Docks to try and get the Unexploded Mine Rep item and blitzed through the &quotBag A Legend&quot Ambition. Zipped right through the Nuns and assassins bit and now I’m sitting here at Wolfstack Docks with the Chorister’s Bomb storylet thing. Except…the wiki informs me that there is nothing beyond this point for the Ambition, and the requirements for the Bomb are pretty steep (not impossible, just steep) at 4 Night-Whispers (have 1), 12 Storm-Threnodies (Have zero), 48 Aeolian Screams (have 13), 1000 Primordial Shrieks (have 71), and a Winsome Dispossessed Orphan (Throws money at the problem).

So since there is apparently nothing past this point content-wise, should I just hold off on this venture or should I try to knock it out?

And if so, any tips on getting the Night-Whispers and Storm-Threnodies? The Screams and Shrieks seem easy enough to get my hands on via the various Unfinished Business options out there and combining items.

Edit: The alternative goal-grind would be upgrading my Rusty Tramp Steamer to something a bit more respectable, either a Pleasure Yacht or a Zubmarine.
edited by Krieg on 4/4/2017

Night-Whispers: You can trade 160 Certifiable Scrap to the Shivering Relicker on her opportunity card in exchange for a Night-Whisper. You might also try grinding them from the Tale of the Fidgeting Writer, which you can start by click on a Tale of Terror!! in your inventory. You can sometimes find them from the more difficult expeditions in the Forgotten Quarter.

Storm-Threnodies: My favourite way to get these is from the Overgoat opportunity card, but if you don’t have an Overgoat or Ubergoat, you can simply upconvert these from Primordial Shrieks. You’ll need urchin favours, but with the opportunity card from your Winsome Dispossed Urchin you should have plenty of those.

As for the ambition, mine is different so I can’t speak for that, but you might as well progress as far as you can go. You never know when it might be updated.

[quote=James Sinclair]Night-Whispers: You can trade 160 Certifiable Scrap to the Shivering Relicker on her opportunity card in exchange for a Night-Whisper. You might also try grinding them from the Tale of the Fidgeting Writer, which you can start by click on a Tale of Terror!! in your inventory. You can sometimes find them from the more difficult expeditions in the Forgotten Quarter.

Storm-Threnodies: My favourite way to get these is from the Overgoat opportunity card, but if you don’t have an Overgoat or Ubergoat, you can simply upconvert these from Primordial Shrieks. You’ll need urchin favours, but with the opportunity card from your Winsome Dispossed Urchin you should have plenty of those.

As for the ambition, mine is different so I can’t speak for that, but you might as well progress as far as you can go. You never know when it might be updated.[/quote]

Speaking of the goat, should I look at trying to save up enough for one? The price seems…prohibitive, and not really easily obtainable. I mean a few weeks of turning in Rostygold or something, coupled with selling my Puzzling Maps from being a Monster Hunter each week could put a dent in the cost buuuuuut…

If you care about boosting your Watchful stat for any reason (maxing out Scholar of the Correspondence, trying to make an Impossible Theorem), a Goat is useful because when equipped, it greatly increases your Watchful stat. An Ubergoat is even more useful. Sadly, a Heptagoat is not useful at all in that regard.

• Re: Ambition, there’s nothing past the Bomb so it’s really up to you whether to do it now or later. If you do it now, then you can get right into things whenever the ending is eventually added, and it’s one more grind to vary your time. If you put it off, you don’t have to grind up a bunch of expensive items that will promptly be consumed to no effect. Which option sounds more appealing?[/li][li]Primordial Shrieks are easily obtained through Unfinished Business, as you note. Aeolian Screams and Storm-Threnodies are best obtained by upconverting other items, last I checked. Correspondence Plaques are your best bet.[/li][li]Correspondence Plaques are easily obtained through Thefts of a Particular Character in the Flit, by stealing Journals of Infamy and side-converting once. Hopefully you have a Gang of Hoodlums and can 100% the Shadowy check as that’s the fastest method to get Casing; the PoSI option is still alright though. There’s also a more complicated way of getting Plaques that I’m pretty sure is more efficient. Breeding Somnolent Hyaenas in the Labyrinth’s Fourth Coil with fungus and thwarting devils pays out in many Maniac’s Prayers, which can be efficiently upconverted to Plaques. You do need to get Hyaenas from the Second Coil, which needs honey from Veilgarden’s Unfinished Business too (or better sources).[/li][li]Night-Whispers can be obtained two at a time as a high-value reward to Shrine of the Blue Heaven expeditions. They can also be obtained from one of the last steps of the Fidgeting Writer storyline, the Last Hope of a Fidgeting Writer. That method can be unreliable without the law of large numbers though.[/li][li]Upgrading to a Yacht or Zubmarine is a worthwhile grind eventually either way. The Yacht has two Respectable to the Zub’s single Bizarre, but the options it unlocks at zee are less helpful and obtaining it involves lots of RNG.[/li][li]The Overgoat grind takes somewhere over two months even with the best grinds, and using every single action during your waking hours. (The Ubergoat grind takes exactly twice as long, since it costs two Overgoats plus 1 Fate.) It has some highly specific uses, like the ones Cathy mentioned, making that Overgoat card actually profitable, guaranteed success on the three-supply Expedition challenge, or just showing off. It takes so long to get though that I recommend putting it off until you’ve done all the shorter grinds you care about.[/li][li]The best grinds mentioned above: The Affair of the Box, siding with Revolutionaries for bonus Correspondence Plaques and cashing out for Mourning Candles, has ~1.64 EPA. Gaining Souls through Unfinished Business in Spite, selling them as a Spirifer (via the Soul Trade Fate-locked story), and cashing in the resulting C: Hell in the Forgotten Quarter has just under 1.80 EPA.

Wow that got much longer than I intended.

Haha, your posts are usually longer than indented, but always full of valuable information for less proficient players!
Because I finished my SiC grind I decided to advance my stories and I’m the second carousel part of the University, but I also decided to check the EPA of Investigation option.
Reaching level 5, cashing in the Flit and converting those CC to shinny diamonds via Bazaar yields an amazing ~1.835 EPA. I simulated 100 runs and the 30% failure up to 4th attempt (30, 21, 6.3, 2.7). This EPA can be increased depending on 3 other cards that can boost it: Your plant is singing (Attending to the Needs of a Singular Plant 16 - 18), Tea with the Inspector (Watchful 81–118, Connected: The Constables 1) and the best A new piece in the Game (Shadowy 81–118, Connected: The Great Game 1).
The last one (A new piece in the Game) can be used to gain Seeking and Investigating at the same time. Get one point of each and wait for the card to pop 3 times and cash in using this option for about 2 EPA.

EDIT: Not really sure about the Your plant is singing card as it only offers 5 CP of Investigating, but the material reward is lower. Probably worth only if there are multiple consecutive failures. But it is worth if you want to increase your plant level.
edited by Skinnyman on 4/4/2017

Interesting. That’s on the level of the old goat demon grind. Too bad I’m past that point in the university, heh.

There’s no real need to get kicked out so I might start suggesting to people to stay in for that grind.

You receive Storm-Threnodies periodically if you are a Trickster, of which my main account is. But that’s only if you’re willing to wait that long, and change your current profession.

Didn’t one of the festivals last year have something that gave out Storm-Threnodies? I think I got half of mine there, and the other half just doing expeditions in the FQ–I had watchful high enough to just grind through expeditions.

Yep, one of the repeatable results of the Wrecker’s Cove during the Fruits of the Zee festival gives a Storm-Threnody, among things. As you note the lowest Expedition reward gives a Storm-Threnody too. Those are both random rewards though, so upconverting items is a more consistent source.

[quote=Kaijyuu]There’s no real need to get kicked out so I might start suggesting to people to stay in for that grind.[/quote]I wish, I wish I knew about getting kicked out of the university before I finished that storyline. For the first 6 months I played the game I went in cold, without reading the forums or looking on the wiki or anything, and the end of university life blindsided me. It’s one of the only real complaints I have about the game - I feel like I was punished for playing the game as intended and NOT meta-gaming.

I went through that section of Bag a Legend with an Alt and I don’t remember it being all that interesting so do it or don’t. It’s up to you. Might be worth casually gathering the materials between other stuff in case the Ambition is ever completed or you feel the need to go through it at some point but it’s only a high priority if you make it one.

If you really want to do the goat grind thing, here is my advice. You can get really into the details of optimizing a grind like that and it can cut a significant chunk of time out of the grind if you do, but it can also make you completely miserable. I’ve done the Ubergoat thing and I just finished Cider recently (which took 2 years). At peak grind I could stretch my weekly average income up to about 280 echoes per day. But, if you run the math my average over the whole 2 year cider grind was closer to 190 echoes a day as a took breaks to do other things. So my advice would be to approach this more casually. At a minimum, you probably want your weekly income to average out to 150 echoes per day. That will get you a goat in just over 2.5 months. The money making guide on the wiki gives a good list of efficient money making techniques. Pick one that works for you and try to spend as many actions as you can on it while taking advantage of whatever more efficient things show up in your opportunity deck. If you can spend 100 actions a day on that you’ll hit the 150 echoes mark pretty easily. If you get bored, switch to a different grind or take a break or something. If you’re playing in the browser there’s a link to the Goat Farmer’s Browser Extension in my signature which you can use to track your progress. Truth is, if you just keep collecting resources you’ll get there eventually.

If you’re not in a rush, the Sardonic Music Hall Singer has a (not that) rare success that gives out Aeolian Screams. Choose the second option. It helps reduce the tedium of up-converting correspondence plaques.

[quote=Kaijyuu]Interesting. That’s on the level of the old goat demon grind. Too bad I’m past that point in the university, heh.

There’s no real need to get kicked out so I might start suggesting to people to stay in for that grind.[/quote]
I just hope FBG won’t change it now! :D

Expeditions which offer a better EPA than Shrine. If you finished Soul Trade (no matter which side) Shrine avg can be around 2.7 (including Air option and Zailing card) while Thieves can easily get past 3 EPA.

Expeditions which offer a better EPA than Shrine. If you finished Soul Trade (no matter which side) Shrine avg can be around 2.7 (including Air option and Zailing card) while Thieves can easily get past 3 EPA.[/quote]
Air option? Zailing card?

[quote=Optimatum]
Air option? Zailing card?[/quote]
Sorry for the late reply, mate, but I’m extremely busy! We have London Air 96+ option and Zailing card option.