Affair of the Box question (spoilers)

I’ve decided to out the whole damnable business, publish the whole torrid story. But I found that when I had gotten the presses up and running and collected the various copy, I couldn’t choose the option that allowed me to publish the story. Apparently because I didn’t have the right editor of a newspaper quality. Is it possible to change that quality and get the necessary truthiness?

I believe you can have all the qualities? Dave got all to 10, I think.

You can get those qualities by publishing an edition that has enough (120 I think?) of a single type of copy.

To expand on the above: one can simultaneously be a Defender of Truth, a Prophet of the Gutter, and a Cardinal of Conspiracy. In order to publish the weighty accusations you are considering, you must establish a reputation as a Defender of Truth, which I believe you can accomplish by assembling 104 pieces of Meritorous Copy (unless they have increased the requirements). To reach this, you will need to wait for appropriate opportunity cards to arise while in the midst of preparing an edition. After you have the title, run one more edition with any kind of copy to print the special edition.

104 is up to date unless it’s changed the last few days

I always found the newspaper to be the most annoying story-line in echo bazaar. The rate at which the cards drop is staggeringly high. I think Igot the cards for the name faster then I got the appropriate cards for that damnable newspaper.

I agree on this. While waiting for newspaper cards to drop I went off to grind Whirring Contraptions. I had 11 contraptions before getting the meritorious opportunity card to appear 2 times.

The interview cards are much more common. I typically go for one card that’s specific to the type of copy (usually I decide which I’ll go for by which card I wind up getting), then 2 interview cards. Or just straight up 4 interviews.

The interview cards could come in handy, but I only have so many friends on my list and I don’t want to pester them overmuch by sending them repeated interview requests.

That’s why we have this handy little directory: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic333-directory-newspaper-inviewers-and-interviewees.aspx

Got a question about the publishing and the Affair of the Box in general. I got to level 22, then I stopped because, not having a workin newspaper yet, I couldn’t access the obvious choice for a character who steadily followed the path of the Empire’s Kingmaker - basically, I always chose the Revolutionaries’ side in the Affair of the Box, both because the plans of the Masters for London seem to be fishy at the very least, and because I was pissed at Jasper and Frank’s (and, consequentially, Mr Stones’) behaviour. Now I’ve got a newspaper, so I could easily finish up the storyline. The problem is that, after pondering the alternatives on the wikis, I came to the conclusion that my character wouldn’t probably publish the whole story - it is too dangerous for the city itself, and a professional spy like him would rather secretly pit the Masters one against the other instead of declaring an all-out war on all of them.

So the question is: does siding with Mr. Fires against Mr. Stones, and so gaining the Fist of the Bazaar achievement, reduce or remove one’s Empire’s Kingmaker value? And does it cause to get Turncoat levels? In the wiki none of these are mentioned, but I want to be sure before settling the Affair of the Box once and for all.
edited by streetfelineblue on 11/29/2012

[quote=streetfelineblue]Got a question about the publishing and the Affair of the Box in general. I got to level 22, then I stopped because, not having a workin newspaper yet, I couldn’t access the obvious choice for a character who steadily followed the path of the Empire’s Kingmaker - basically, I always chose the Revolutionaries’ side in the Affair of the Box, both because the plans of the Masters for London seem to be fishy at the very least, and because I was pissed at Jasper and Frank’s (and, consequentially, Mr Stones’) behaviour. Now I’ve got a newspaper, so I could easily finish up the storyline. The problem is that, after pondering the alternatives on the wikis, I came to the conclusion that my character wouldn’t probably publish the whole story - it is too dangerous for the city itself, and a professional spy like him would rather secretly pit the Masters one against the other instead of declaring an all-out war on all of them.

So the question is: does siding with Mr. Fires against Mr. Stones, and so gaining the Fist of the Bazaar achievement, reduce or remove one’s Empire’s Kingmaker value? And does it cause to get Turncoat levels? In the wiki none of these are mentioned, but I want to be sure before settling the Affair of the Box once and for all.
edited by streetfelineblue on 11/29/2012[/quote]

I have both the Fist of the Bazaar achievement and Empire’s Kingmaker, which I have since increased (there will be storylets you can play in Spite after the main Affair is concluded) to 86.

[quote=Catherine Raymond][quote=streetfelineblue]Got a question about the publishing and the Affair of the Box in general. I got to level 22, then I stopped because, not having a workin newspaper yet, I couldn’t access the obvious choice for a character who steadily followed the path of the Empire’s Kingmaker - basically, I always chose the Revolutionaries’ side in the Affair of the Box, both because the plans of the Masters for London seem to be fishy at the very least, and because I was pissed at Jasper and Frank’s (and, consequentially, Mr Stones’) behaviour. Now I’ve got a newspaper, so I could easily finish up the storyline. The problem is that, after pondering the alternatives on the wikis, I came to the conclusion that my character wouldn’t probably publish the whole story - it is too dangerous for the city itself, and a professional spy like him would rather secretly pit the Masters one against the other instead of declaring an all-out war on all of them.

edited by streetfelineblue on 11/29/2012[/quote]

I have both the Fist of the Bazaar achievement and Empire’s Kingmaker, which I have since increased (there will be storylets you can play in Spite after the main Affair is concluded) to 86.[/quote]

Very good! Then I’ll guess that I’ll finish up the storyline in between breeding some beasts (my Bifurcated Owl is sweet, but I can’t wait to get the Stallion).