advice for what to grind for when you are a POSI

Should I stockpile rats as a pre-posi and become a rat-catcher for the time being instead? I don’t have someone I want to marry, yet, but!

Stockpiling isn’t a bad idea if you’ve a mind for future matrimony, but I wouldn’t become a Rat-Catcher just to fund a future wedding. Still, if you’re undecided as to what higher level profession you want to pursue, there’s worse ways to go than Rat-Catcher, considering how useful a stockpile of Strong-Backed Labour will be when you become a PoSI. There are other tier 2 professions that give good components for PoSI crafting, though.

The best wedding requires Planning equivalent to 500,000 rats. Getting a head start on grinding couldn’t hurt, but I’m pretty sure that unfinished business in Spite’s PoSI option to steal rats is much faster.
edited by Optimatum on 11/15/2015

I now have an image of a cedar chest stuffed full of rat bodies.

– Mal

[quote=malthaussen]I now have an image of a cedar chest stuffed full of rat bodies.

– Mal[/quote]

I’m picturing an earnest young suitor calling on his beloved’s parents and assuring them of his professional abilities: &quotSir, in preparation for our upcoming nuptials, I have left my medical practice and am gainfully employed at the Department of Menace Eradication. The opportunity for promotion is high, and I will employ three cats by the end of next week, at the latest!&quot

Should I stockpile rats as a pre-posi and become a rat-catcher for the time being instead? I don’t have someone I want to marry, yet, but![/quote]

This is similar to what I did for Pyro’s wedding but in that case he was already a Rat Catcher for a few weeks when he and his partner started preparing for the wedding so he already have a handsome stockpile ready.

Like what the others said, I do suggest becoming a POSI first before preparing for a wedding since it open certain &quotunfinished business&quot which can help you gather more items.

ah grinding…somehow both deeply satisfying and endlessly taxing at the same time. With some serious morning/noon/night attention, i’ve now managed to acquire the room at the royal beth as well as lodgings in the bazaar (didn’t hurt that i was a good halfway to both of them without realizing it). I should be well set heading into sackmas, though i shall do my utmost to make sure i’m well positioned to take the fullest advantage of the season. next quest: work to maximize notability. i’m currently stalled at 4. i have gods editors, a clay sedan, a club, an orphanage and a landau, along with a ship and a spouse. I’m trying to keep my MW up, but what is the best way to get the next bump up in notability - i REALLY want to upgrade my career to corespondent, and that extra bloody point is all i need. Seriously, i’m holding the unsigned message card like a talisman promising better days ahead. suggestions or links to other threads (i’ve looked, i promise-i just think i’m not typing in the right words to unveil the answer) would be most welcome!! p.s. - grinding on an iPhone makes me yearn - yes, YEARN for the app! i cannot wait for early 2016 when my addiction to fallen london can be easily slaked on a regular basis!

Assuming you’ve already gotten as much BDR gear from the Bazaar as you can, the next steps would be obtaining an Unfinished Hat and an Iron Republic Journal. Both allow you to squeeze an extra BDR into the Companion and Weapon slots, respectively. Beyond that, you’d need to spend Fate or create an Ubergoat to obtain more BDR.

As far as generating MW goes, my preferred methods are Private Suppers, Item conversions, and Heists.

^ Ubergoats require fate too :y

Attending parties from a Polite Invitation gives lots of making waves and connected: society, as well as every so often giving you your choice of a Favor in High Places or a Personal Recommendation. The Hallowmas option on the One’s Public card gives MW based on your level of newspaper fame, the highest option giving 7-14 CP. There’s at least one profitable action in Court that gives MW as well if you’re still welcome there. Stealing Tales of Terror!! in the Flit and converting them all the way up to Enigmas gives a lot, though that requires being welcome at the University. Side-converting tier 3? items around is slightly profitable and many if not all conversions give MW. Building up your Scheme: An Orphanage from the Townhouse card lets you spend a bunch for large amounts of MW, though the Salon is slightly better for getting MW. (Having an Orphanage compensates with slightly better stats and a Fate option to buy the best Dangerous/Shadowy/Watchful companion, not counting Goats.) The Rooms Above a Gambling Den card has a good option to spend some wine and a night on the town for a bunch of MW and most other lodgings cards have similar but less efficient options.

If you ever happen to spend all your Notability, you will be unable to force-draw the Amanuensis card even with enough MW to increase Notability. Fortunately with high BDR it’s very easy to gain the first couple levels, so there’s a thread or two in the Salon section of the forums for sending Notability to players not currently Notable.
edited by Optimatum on 11/18/2015

After some dedicated grinding, I am now the proud owner of a room at the Royal Beth! I’m unsure what I should go for next, though - I already have a spouse (the Celebrated Artist’s Model), which may have been a mistake, and I’ve got a ship and a Clay Sedan Chair.

That’s pretty much all for BDR stuff, so I’m unsure which thing to go for first. I see the God’s Editors mentioned a lot - do I have to finish a particular type of novel for them to accept me? They turned their noses up at my Tale of the Future.

I also have no Notability - I had Making Waves pretty high, but then it reset somehow before I could draw the Slowcake’s Amanuensis card. How could I go about getting a lot of Making Waves for that first point of Notability? I need it to upgrade my Trickster profession to the next level.

Final question - what’s this people are saying about upgrading your 4-card Lodgings to a 5-card one during Sacksmas?

1. If memory serves, God’s Editors will take any novel except tale of the future, or a bunch of candles and a fair whack of church connections.

2. Your MW level is halved each week when TTH comes. There’s a forum thread where people will donate you your first point of notability, after which you can draw the amanuensis card on demand from your lodgings. MW can be generated in a lot of ways, and notability becomes exponentially easier to gain with each point of BDR. Stealing tales of terror en masse in the Flit & converting is a popular option, but unless your BDR is near maximum you’ll get a better rate per action by side converting t3 items - it’s an endless loop, so no resource gathering required. There’s also getting a salon or an orphanage, which are long term investments which pay out large bursts of MW & are useful for really high notability levels.

3. 4 card lodgings can be upgraded to 5 card ones throughout the year, generally at great expense. At Sackmas you can upgrade your lodgings (bazaar, brass embassy & Royal Beth) much more cheaply by spending taste and small amounts of notability at the Wicket. You need to manage your level of taste carefully, so have a look at the Sackmas guide thread for the full picture.

ETA: When wondering what to grind for, the right answer is always GOATS.
edited by Màiread on 11/20/2015

1. God’s Editors are an Affiliation with 4 BDR, same as an Orphanage but cheaper to obtain. They’ll take a few different novels or you can do the non-novel option.
  2. The first point of Notability is always finicky to get since the Amanuensis card isn’t very common. You can amass a bunch of Tales of Terror!! and, once you have the card, convert them all the way up to Incanabula as most of those conversion successes give MW. Alternatively you could just ask over in the Salon thread dedicated to giving people a first point of Notability. Once you have some, raising it is easy as the moment you have the requisite MW you can just summon the Amanuensis from your lodgings.
  3. One feature of Sacksmas is spending the Putting the Pieces Together: The Taste of Lacre quality at Penstock’s Wicket in January. The more costly options there are to upgrade the different four-card lodgings for 7-9 Taste, depending on which one, and 3 Notability. Aka it’s a WAY better deal than the year-round method. The Brass Embassy option does need you to be soulless though, but if you have yours the devils will happily purchase it during the season for a Night-Whisper and seven Storm Threnodies.

The other MW option if you don’t want to do a lot of resource grinding is doing Heists. Each successful heist gives you a good chunk of MW depending on how much Burglar’s Progress you got. It’s less effective on an action-per-action basis than side-conversions, but it’s much more profitable, and more interesting that converting the same stack of stuff over and over again.