Advice and Suggestions for a Returning Player?

I’ve been playing Fallen London on-and-off since 2010, but only have recently started to play everyday again. What are some goals to have/storylines I’ve missed? I’m attempting to get safe-conduct to the Iron Republic, but this appears to take a while since raising Counting the Days takes so long. I’m thinking of attempting to save for an Overgoat, although I’m not quite sure what the best way to do this is (most cost-efficient in terms of echo/action?).I sold off all low-level items I have that were in excess of 100 echoes’ worth, and still only came up with about 1200 echoes. I’m working on raising my notability enough to get a new profession; I kind of wish that getting a single point of Notability hadn’t used up my 24 Making Waves. I’m thinking of getting the items for the Salon, once it’s available; I have most of them but still need a few things like Cellars of Wine.

I’ve just finished the Cave of the Nadir. I noticed my stats were no longer at the maximum boundary, so I’ll probably try to raise those again. I’m not actually sure what other content boundary… er, content are. I’m quite happy with my lodgings (have all but the rooms at the bazaar, which I’m not interested in). I’ve eyed pieces of new equipment but they’re not really all that interesting to me, since with the exception of that incredibly disappointing Persuasive card with the ridiculous difficulty at the Cave of the Nadir, my stats are generally sufficient.

I think my problem here is with the exception of the Overgoat, I’m not all that keen on doing any of these, and the Overgoat sounds like so much grinding that it’s discouraging.
[li]

The Iron Republic is pretty love-or-hate. Unfortunately, you got in after the Acquaintances were downgraded to a card, which makes raising Counting the Days a lot slower. (That’s A Visit- check the Wiki when you get it to see which Acquaintance is effective for your current value of CtD) And the Salon’s already available! I’ve got one, but I haven’t drawn the card again to see if any of the followup content is in yet.[li]

Overgoat’s a massive grind, yes. In addition to cash grinding actions, the Cave of the Nadir and your Profession provide decent money on a weekly basis, if you’re willing to wait in real time. (and lose stats, in the Nadir’s case.)

Some other semi-recent additions that might be interesting:

• The Jack-of-Smiles Case, and finishing the Affair of the Box. (These are a little older, so you may have seen them, but they’re very meaty storylines that reveal a lot of secrets.)[/li][li]Writing Short Stories in Veilgarden. (The way to get a top-tier profession without Notability.)[/li][li]Knife-And-Candle.[/li][li]Heists in the Flit, and the Pickpocket’s Promenade in Spite. (The Promenade’s nothing cash-wise, but it’s cute. Might be too similar to the Nadir now that you’ve seen that. The Heist has decent returns for high-level characters.)[/li][li]Some new Seeking content, if that’s your thing.

Oh, I haven’t seen the Pickpocket’s Promenade! You’re right, it is cute. I think I’ll probably play through it a few times, and then go for the Salon. Thank you for telling me it’s available! I haven’t drawn the card for it in a while, nor the A Visit one; sometimes I think I never draw the cards I could actually use when I’m looking for them. (Although I do like some of the cards that give you new pets, like the one that dealt with the Dazed Raven Advisor and the Salt Weasel one.)

I think I must have missed Shadowy additions; I don’t remember doing any Heists in the Flit either, so I’ll take a look at those. I usually favor Watchful/Persuasive content, especially of the scandalous or nightmarish sort, so I don’t spend that much time in Spite or the Flit.

I was a Seeker, but a little stuck since I’ve long since lost my soul to the Quiet Deviless.

Are there good ways to grind for cash? Off the top of my head the one that I remember that I used to do was Educating a Louche Devil one, since it paid more than an echo/action and it dealt with Devils – or a Devil, anyway. I’m making a spreadsheet to track the amount of echoes raised per day towards the Overgoat; hopefully this will keep me motivated to actually grind for it. I figured if I can make 50 echoes/day, I’ll be satisfied.
[li]

[quote]Are there good ways to grind for cash? Off the top of my head the one that I remember that I used to do was Educating a Louche Devil one, since it paid more than an echo/action and it dealt with Devils – or a Devil, anyway. I’m making a spreadsheet to track the amount of echoes raised per day towards the Overgoat; hopefully this will keep me motivated to actually grind for it. I figured if I can make 50 echoes/day, I’ll be satisfied.[/quote]The three best grinds are:

[ul][li]The Affair of the Box in Spite: around 1.5 Echoes per action if you take the Mourning Candles, or a little over 1.6 if you steal the Correspondence Plaques each time.[/li][li]Hunter’s Keep: one go-around is decently profitable on its own, but there’s a good chance of a bonus Searing Enigma at the end. It’s probably better than the Affair of the Box, but you have to leave London, of course.[/li][li]The Fidgeting Writer: this may be the most profitable of all, but it’s all-or-nothing and entirely luck-based, so can be frustrating.[/li][/ul]I did some intensive grinding to get my top-tier gear, but I found it very dull; my goal was to eliminate temptations to grindiness from my FL experience so far as seemed possible. In so far as I actively aim for items, I prefer collecting small amounts of sixth and seventh tier items that may be useful in future content, like Airag and Parabola Linen.
It’s less repetitive, gets you cool shiny stuff more often, and, besides, wealth accumulation happens more or less automatically. In the end, the Overgoat comes to us all.

[quote=Flyte]The three best grinds are:

• The Affair of the Box in Spite: around 1.5 Echoes per action if you take the Mourning Candles, or a little over 1.6 if you steal the Correspondence Plaques each time. [/quote]

Thank you for suggesting this! I’ll probably go for this, since it’s a significant improvement over the Louche Devil (or currently, the Re-education of an Elegant Lady). I also don’t have very Mourning Candles, and I’d prefer to stay in London since I’m trying to raise my Counting the Days. Much agreed on the frustration of the Fidgeting Writer; It took me many times before I managed to get a Coruscating Soul. This should work out well all around.

[quote=Flyte]I did some intensive grinding to get my top-tier gear, but I found it very dull; my goal was to eliminate temptations to grindiness from my FL experience so far as seemed possible. In so far as I actively aim for items, I prefer collecting small amounts of sixth and seventh tier items that may be useful in future content, like Airag and Parabola Linen.
It’s less repetitive, gets you cool shiny stuff more often, and, besides, wealth accumulation happens more or less automatically. In the end, the Overgoat comes to us all.[/quote]I have a number of sixth/seventh tier items, just from playing the game. How did you manage to collect Parabola Linen? I don’t believe I have one.

I’m taking the strategy of flipping cards + grinding. The flipping makes the grinding less boring, and the grinding makes the flipping less frustrating.
[li]

[quote=drakemontfort]
How did you manage to collect Parabola Linen? I don’t believe I have one.[/quote]
Actions categorised as ^ are retired.

[quote=Aximillio][quote=drakemontfort]
How did you manage to collect Parabola Linen? I don’t believe I have one.[/quote]
Actions categorised as ^ are retired.[/quote]
Thank you. I hadn’t realized it was possible to find item sources this way.[li]

[quote=drakemontfort][quote=Aximillio][quote=drakemontfort]
Actions categorised as ^ are retired.[/quote]
Thank you. I hadn’t realized it was possible to find item sources this way.[/quote]
Some items (like this) are so long it’s a pain to look through, though… Still it’s very nice for rare (non-fate) items.