Advancing the Liberation of Night

I just came across this new snippet, when converting a batch of Mourning Candles into Patent Scrutinisers.[li]

&quotYou have minutely advanced the Liberation of Night.&quot

The rollover text is:

Knowingly or not, you have contributed to the Great Work

Anyone else had this, or things seemingly related, pop up via certain actions? (I’d assume it would be actions related to the revolutionaries, or other ‘Luminosity’ conversions)[/li][li]
edited by Kravan on 12/8/2013

yep, i got it on memories light to mourning candles too[li]

Yeah, I got it from converting beetles to memories. D: Unhappy about this. Seriously, screw those guys. Hopefully I’ll be able to reduce this quality by screwing them over in the future.

I had it when converting eyeless skulls into cinders.

I can’t say I’m overly surprised by that.

This seems like a reasonable place to ask: has anyone encountered the legendary Skulls-to-Cinders rare success? Its existence is much rumoured but nowhere, so far as I can see, confirmed.

I’m fine with this quality being in; so long as there’s a way to reduce it as well. I want to stop the Liberation, not contribute to it!

I guess I’m not converting Luminosity on my main anymore! At least I’m not in any need of doing so.

Edit: Whoa, two rare successes in a row on an alt to see this quality. Anyways, it seems as if the lower tiers don’t give the quality (or at least not the Wax → Scarab didn’t). It’s also a circumstance, so it’s just a new Adrift in a Sea of Misery thing as far as I can tell…not sure if we’ll be able to reduce it. Be careful~ I could see it one day being used to determine how tough a challenge is while trying to stop the Liberation of Night.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 12/8/2013

[li]
Had no idea there was a rare success…
Just checked the wiki and it’s not there. Can’t imagine a huge amount of people have transferred 5 eyeless skulls, let alone more than once - at least to have another attempts for a ‘rare’ success.

What’s the rumoured item supposed to be?

Huh. I wonder what happens if it increases. And how much it increases by siding with the revolutionaries by selling the nadir location.

It wasn’t there when I foolishly sold them the location before Hallowmas. After I found out what the Liberation of Night MEANT, though, so much regret.

[li]

It’s not like the other Destiny alternatives were much better, though. Without the liberation it appears that everyone in FL basically gets consumed by the Bazaar. The Liberation of Night may not be great, but it’s better than a lot of the alternatives. The only really wholly hopeful Destiny seemed to be &quotRevelation&quot, and it was ambiguous.

[li]

It’s not like the other Destiny alternatives were much better, though. Without the liberation it appears that everyone in FL basically gets consumed by the Bazaar. The Liberation of Night may not be great, but it’s better than a lot of the alternatives. The only really wholly hopeful Destiny seemed to be &quotRevelation&quot, and it was ambiguous.[/quote]
Speak for yourself. Some of us are gonna survive in Parabola thanks to our wits.[/li][li]

[li]

It’s not like the other Destiny alternatives were much better, though. Without the liberation it appears that everyone in FL basically gets consumed by the Bazaar. The Liberation of Night may not be great, but it’s better than a lot of the alternatives. The only really wholly hopeful Destiny seemed to be &quotRevelation&quot, and it was ambiguous.[/quote]
Speak for yourself. Some of us are gonna survive in Parabola thanks to our wits.[/li][li][/quote]
Well, I’d say we still have quite a while before the Bazaar takes another city. So &quotnormal&quot citizens are going to be long dead at this point (as dying in the Neath is hard but not impossible), and I much prefer dying as an old person under benevolent rule of the Masters to getting violently murdered in the darkness. Of course we - the players probably don’t need to worry (except for the Seekers, but their life expectancy isn’t great anyway), as we are all &quotSpecial Snowflakes&quot and have our tickets to Parabola/Hell/farawayfromhere ready.
[/li]

Then again, the work of the Bazaar appears to be leading to the destruction of the Earth. Perhaps sacrificing London a bit early is worth preventing that. Of course, the Calendar Council have their eyes set on the &quotliberation&quot of the entire cosmos. What might have to be sacrificed to prevent that, I wonder?

Not us with Gleam destinies, alas. We’ve renounced our tickets.
edited by Ember on 12/9/2013

[quote=Ember]Then again, the work of the Bazaar appears to be leading to the destruction of the Earth. Perhaps sacrificing London a bit early is worth preventing that. Of course, the Calendar Council have their eyes set on the &quotliberation&quot of the entire cosmos. What might have to be sacrificed to prevent that, I wonder?

Not us with Gleam destinies, alas. We’ve renounced our tickets.
edited by Ember on 12/9/2013[/quote]

Actually the Liberation of Night Gleam destiny seems less of a costraint and more of a free choice - not that you couldn’t go, you just chose to stay down. The Parabola Gleam destiny, that I chose myself, is slightly more… Enigmatic. It does seem to imply that there will be further developments, but as time seems to have become a wibbly wobbly thing, it’s hard to tell for sure. But sure it does seem to imply a trip to Parabola, either as a prisoner or an honored guest. Parabola destinies (apart from the Fate-Locked one) aren’t entirely clear on this matter, and the Gleam one is the most cryptic of all.

That was what I meant by &quotrenouncing&quot, yes. It’s my choice, I made it, I may very well make it again. But that doesn’t exactly mean it’s pleasant.

I don’t think the Liberation of Night is &quotbetter&quot than really any of the alternatives, as the Revolutionaries imply that

the model of the Machine used to eliminate light from the ENTIRE NEATH was basically a test model, and that eventually they basically plan to make one that can do the same pretty much for the entire UNIVERSE.

Can’t really see how that’s better. And the destiny I took does not imply Earth destruction, just that it’s &quotscarred&quot, which is rather ambiguous.

[quote=Ember]That was what I meant by &quotrenouncing&quot, yes. It’s my choice, I made it, I may very well make it again. But that doesn’t exactly mean it’s pleasant.
edited by Ember on 12/9/2013[/quote]

Well, the main worry of the original poster was a possible end of the world - of which the Liberation of Night in the Neath was but a sort of prototype - and the Liberation of Night Gleam destiny seems to imply that the player character and a good part of the Neath denizens will be able to survive relatively well, though nothing is said of what happens on the Surface. The Parabola Gleam destiny is even more &quotoptimist&quot, with the player character ending up in Parabola… The ultimate fate isn’t clear, all we have is that cryptic &quotIt’s his turn to be there when I need him most&quot that seems to imply some kind of undisclosed plan. So basically, Gleam destinies seem to imply some degree of altruism and maybe some self-sacrifice, but that doesn’t mean they have it much worse than the others in term of survival and avoiding Armageddon ^^

[quote=Dr. Hieronymous Alloy]It’s not like the other Destiny alternatives were much better, though. Without the liberation it appears that everyone in FL basically gets consumed by the Bazaar. The Liberation of Night may not be great, but it’s better than a lot of the alternatives. The only really wholly hopeful Destiny seemed to be &quotRevelation&quot, and it was ambiguous.[/quote] Meh. I don’t know what people are so upset about. Isn’t it just light going away forever? Down where the Lorn-Flukes are it’s already dark. We’ll be just fine, I’m sure. Yes, them and I. Can’t speak for the rest of you. :cool:

All shall be well in the end.