Adrift on a Sea of Misery.

[color=#ffffff]Nothing seems to have changed. But perhaps one day it will.

i got this along with my usual rewards for donating to the widow. Is this a new status and if so does anyone know what it does? It is listed under [/color][color=#ffffff]Circumstance[/color]
edited by Cubethulhu on 11/18/2012

I’ll have to donate and find out. Did it leave anything on your profile?

Me too. I’m intrigued. (And it’s rare I’m generous, so I v. lucky to have picked this up ;-)

I’ve done the same, and I can say indeed it did. It appears under a new tab inbetween Ambition and Contacts, called Circumstance. It’s my scrapbook entry in my profile.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Saharan

Edit: It seems after donating a second fortune in Glim, the number on my profile went up by 5, leaving me at 10. Presumably, it happens each time.
edited by Saharan on 11/19/2012

[quote=Saharan]It seems after donating a second fortune in Glim, the number on my profile went up by 5, leaving me at 10. Presumably, it happens each time.
edited by Saharan on 11/19/2012[/quote]

I’ve donated at least a dozen times since the “Adrift on a Sea of Misery” circumstance appeared on this card, and it’s never changed for me. I thought it was a placeholder for content that’s yet to be added, but if you got increases maybe it’s related to something else. Has anyone figured out what?

[quote=Blast_Fantastic][quote=Saharan]It seems after donating a second fortune in Glim, the number on my profile went up by 5, leaving me at 10. Presumably, it happens each time.
edited by Saharan on 11/19/2012[/quote]

I’ve donated at least a dozen times since the “Adrift on a Sea of Misery” circumstance appeared on this card, and it’s never changed for me. I thought it was a placeholder for content that’s yet to be added, but if you got increases maybe it’s related to something else. Has anyone figured out what?[/quote]

It appears that Circumstances are much like Accomplishments - they have their exact value hidden on your sheet. However, you can still see them if you make them your “Scrapbook Status” and then view your profile.

I’m hoping that having it will do something later, such as unlocking more ways to help out the unfortunate. It’d be a bit of a shame to have a quality that doesn’t unlock anything.

Thank you. That did the trick. I was afraid I was missing out on something.

Now that this has been around for a while, how high have people gotten it? Does anything, in fact, change?

Not AFAIK. I’m personally only on 126, since I don’t find the card to be particularly useful…

This status seems to be necessary to get the profession of Campaigner from the church connections card.

I find the semantics of Adrift on a Sea of Misery difficult to understand. I expected a charitable/magnanimous action to reduce it, since the amount of misery in the world should have fallen slightly, but apparently the opposite happens.

Even more confusingly, looking after your orphanage (via the handsome townhouse card) decreases Adrift… by 1 CP, whereas giving a significant donation to charity for the homeless (via the soft-hearted widow card) increases it by 5 CP.

Do we take it that running an orphanage, even in an ethical manner, actually makes things worse?

PS I’m reopening this old thread because it’s relevant to the question I’m raising.

I’ve always interpreted this quality as a measure of how ‘adrift’ the player is on the ‘sea of misery’, not how it affects the misery. Therefore it seems strange that anything involving an orphanage would lower the quality. Maybe the player feels less ‘adrift’ when taking care of their orphanage, but the game assumes that they must feel quite adrift indeed if they’re willing to donate 500 Glim to charity?

Adrift on a Sea of Misery basically means you’re putting something into the world that’s good, but it may feel futile (such as donating to a starving person when many are starving). It seems to be a purely cosmetic quality, much like the quality for having slightly advanced the liberation of the night (can’t remember the name).

That’s an interesting approach. You’re using the word &quotadrift&quot very differently to the way I would, but I can definitely see your logic.

The thing is though, looking after the orphanage costs 57 Echoes (total of cash plus goods) - which is far more expensive than 500 Glim. That’s one of the reasons I find it so confusing.

I think I understand your point about the seeming futility of charitable actions, but it doesn’t explain why one charitable action reduces the quality, whereas another increases it.

The other quality you’re thinking of is Advancing the Liberation of Night Slowly &quotKnowingly or not, you have contributed to the Great Work.&quot (It’s classified as a circumstance.) I think it’s a good comparison, since both qualities represent a lofty goal requiring a vast collective effort.
edited by Edmund Winterset on 12/30/2014

[quote=Edmund Winterset][quote=Zeek]

The other quality you’re thinking of is Advancing the Liberation of Night Slowly &quotKnowingly or not, you have contributed to the Great Work.&quot (It’s classified as a circumstance.) I think it’s a good comparison, since both qualities represent a lofty goal requiring a vast collective effort.
edited by Edmund Winterset on 12/30/2014[/quote]

[color=FFFFFF]Looking at my Circumstances, I just realized I’ve now got &quotAdvancing the Liberation of Night Less slowly,&quot which I don’t exactly approve of! I keep my Connected: Revolutionaries as low as possible, and only use them to get rid of unwanted Eyeless Skulls, but it that trade that’s increasing my Liberation circumstance. Hmph.[/color]
edited by ruen on 12/31/2014

You can always sell Eyeless Skulls to the Bazaar if you don’t want to increase the Liberation of Night quality. They’re worth significantly less, but that’s the trade off.

[quote=Edmund Winterset]I find the semantics of Adrift on a Sea of Misery difficult to understand. I expected a charitable/magnanimous action to reduce it, since the amount of misery in the world should have fallen slightly, but apparently the opposite happens.

Even more confusingly, looking after your orphanage (via the handsome townhouse card) decreases Adrift… by 1 CP, whereas giving a significant donation to charity for the homeless (via the soft-hearted widow card) increases it by 5 CP.

Do we take it that running an orphanage, even in an ethical manner, actually makes things worse?

PS I’m reopening this old thread because it’s relevant to the question I’m raising.[/quote]

As far as I know, only &quotLook after your Orphanage&quot option lowers your Adrift on a Sea of Misery. And that is the only one which actually makes you feel bad somehow: the things aren’t improving much, the orphans are pretty ungrateful and so on. Other options definitely make you feel better for the thing you do, this one has a mixed feeling.