Acquiring Devilbone Dice

Has anyone attempted to collect these, and if so – what’s your preferred method?

• enter the Nadir with the Airs of London at exactly 24 and try to draw &quota card game,&quot then get your Irrigo to 8 before using it[/li][li]try to draw &quotSartorial squeamishness&quot and sell off a Ratskin Suit each time[/li][li]sell your soul repeatedly to the gentleman devil friend (…quite time-consuming to get it back)[/li][li]look for it in bundles of oddities with values close to 100 or 200, through fishing with the Fisher-Kings, &quotone’s public&quot card or piracy on the high seas, etc.)[/li][li]a combination of the above, since all of them have quite a bit of downtime, for card-drawing or time the healer

I’d include manufacturing Searing Engimas but that just seems improbably difficult and rare!

I don’t think you can sell your soul to the Intimate Devils more than once.

I think what Optimatum means is that the outcome where you get 3 Devilbone Die for your soul also sets Intimate of Devils to 20. Once it’s at 20, the cards that let you reduce it stop appearing – there’s no way to get it lower again, I don’t think. The letter that sets it to 0 won’t appear either – well, that last part I’m unsure of. The wiki says that card will appear if you have Intimate of Devils 1 and your own Infernal Contract, but that doesn’t quite make sense; we’ll have to check if it has a max Intimate of Devils limit.

I’m pretty sure it locks out at 20 because otherwise you could end up selling your soul to the Intimate Devils and then get a random letter from them saying &quotHow DARE you sell it to THAT devil&quot while you’re just living your soulless life. That would be rather odd. Still, we can definitely check to see an upper limit now, so can’t hurt to check whether the mechanics back up the story logic.

Incorrect - the quality remains at 20 even after you recover your soul, as I stated before. I’ve sold Gloria’s soul several times, the first time being with the Intimate Devils, and she now has both her Soul and her Intimate Devil quality intact.

How did you recover your soul, truthseeker?

Neither method erases your Intimate of Devils quality. Delmar was an Intimate of Devils because I wanted to see what happens if you show one of the two a stained soul, and recovering it through the heap of souls didn’t reset the Intimate of Devils quality. Checking the wiki (which has the information because you could play through it for free using Seeking Mr Eaten’s Name) shows that the two Intimate Devils paths don’t lower the quality either.

If the quality can drop after it reaches 20 it’d be through this, and I think that one locks when you hit 20 because someone has remained soulless after selling their soul to the Intimate Devils and said they never got that card. It’d be something to check now that we can, but recovering your soul doesn’t reset the Intimate of Devils quality.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 12/22/2015

I first sold my soul to one of the Intimate Devils and later regained it through the fate path (then promptly sold it off again). Around a year and a half later, I’ve never once seen that card and my Intimate of Devils is still solidly at 20.

That supports my suspicion, yes. Still, it’d be easy enough to check for sure since card requirements are now wholly transparent. I’ll try it next year if nobody else has checked by then - I’m thinking it’s a 1-19 Intimate of Devils window.

Same here. It’s different iff you sell it to a non-intimate devil, but otherwise it cannot be sold to them repeatedly. They will bother you again if you don’t sell it to them when you sell it the first time, but after you sell it to them once, they’ll leave you be.

Sara,

Do you mean that Delmar had a stained soul and sold it via the ‘What Profit?’ card? And then could recover their (stained) soul again?

If so, do you mind sharing how that went? Did this trigger the Forgotten Quarter trap (‘Evade Them!’) until the soul was recovered?

Oh no, this was way back when Seeking was still around and before Evade Them was implemented. He simply stained his soul, avoided that letter, and showed them the ruined soul after he recovered it.

I would assume the soul was stained but lost in the process of staining. Specifically the order would be becoming an Intimate of Devils, staining and losing the soul, recovering said soul through the fate-locked-besides-SMEN small storyline, and then showing it to the devils.

Yeah, that makes sense. I was just wondering, since I also have a stained soul, and once in a while I get the ‘What Profit?’ card, which still has available the option for selling a stained soul.

I was wondering if this will actually sell my soul (and trigger Evade Them! in the FQ) or just have the devils recoil from it with no real consequence. (obviously, I don’t dare to try myself)

Ah, that option. I recall that one being pretty funny, but it’s been a while. It’s safe, I’m sure. I believe it just lowers your Hell connection.

[quote=dov]Yeah, that makes sense. I was just wondering, since I also have a stained soul, and once in a while I get the ‘What Profit?’ card, which still has available the option for selling a stained soul.

I was wondering if this will actually sell my soul (and trigger Evade Them! in the FQ) or just have the devils recoil from it with no real consequence. (obviously, I don’t dare to try myself)[/quote]
I believe this is what happens.

Confirmed: “a letter arrives” that can reset your Intimates quality if you sell your soul requires Intimates 1-17. So yeah, if your Intimates goes to 20 there’s no way to lower it, through the fate path or otherwise.

[quote=Passionario]I believe this is what happens.[/quote]Thanks! Just what I was after.

[quote=metasynthie]Confirmed: &quota letter arrives&quot that can reset your Intimates quality if you sell your soul requires Intimates 1-17. So yeah, if your Intimates goes to 20 there’s no way to lower it, through the fate path or otherwise.[/quote]Thanks for the confirmation. Wiki updated.
If you can also confirm the card’s frequency, then the wiki entry would be complete :-)

The glorious RNG has heard this thread.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/a/69538advaleatoria