ABFoI Doing the Rounds and accidental Turncoating

As someone who is simultaneously farming Plaques and Strangling Willow for SoTC and M_____s Blood, I get an absolute ton of use from the Boxful of Intrigue Storyline. However, I also get an annoying amount of A Turncoat from being tired and misclicking on this darn storylet. It is the only option on the whole Carousal (Other than A Salon of a Sort) where the A Guardian of the Realm option is on top of The Conscious of the Empire. A fact that my damned muscle memory never lets me forget.

This is annoying but really easily fixable. So I’d love to see those options swapped, however I figured one person complaining won’t do a whole lot. Maybe if enough people share my pain in having to stop and spend connections to get back into the carousal we might move some blessed bazarian coder to swap which option is on top.

Or maybe I’ll discover that I am the only one misclicking on this option and to make sure I concentrate while gathering both my wine and my lead.

I have, after grinding somewhere around 500 moruning candles (plus all the times I did it without grind purposes) FINALLY gotten used to it. but I would love to get them swapped, even if it will mean I will get A Turncoat a lot before I get used to them again.
edited by ochrasy on 6/24/2016
edited by ochrasy on 6/24/2016

I have over 1000 Empires Kingmaker from doing that loop and I made that exact mistake ALL THE TIME. It drove me nuts. Of course, I also just plain misclicked the bottom options occasionally too, but swapping the two options would mean there’s one less mine to step on.

As a Guardian of the Realm I’ve also made this mistake, and it would be very nice to have a consistent pattern in the ordering of the options.

[quote=ShroudedInLight]As someone who is simultaneously farming Plaques and Strangling Willow for SoTC and M_____s Blood, I get an absolute ton of use from the Boxful of Intrigue Storyline. However, I also get an annoying amount of A Turncoat from being tired and misclicking on this darn storylet. It is the only option on the whole Carousal (Other than A Salon of a Sort) where the A Guardian of the Realm option is on top of The Conscious of the Empire. A fact that my damned muscle memory never lets me forget.

This is annoying but really easily fixable. So I’d love to see those options swapped, however I figured one person complaining won’t do a whole lot. Maybe if enough people share my pain in having to stop and spend connections to get back into the carousal we might move some blessed bazarian coder to swap which option is on top.

Or maybe I’ll discover that I am the only one misclicking on this option and to make sure I concentrate while gathering both my wine and my lead.[/quote]

Have you checked out Alistair Cray’s Playing Favourites extension? Using that, you can change the order in which options appear!

(Though I do agree with you that the ordering should be consistent)
edited by fallingkitten on 6/24/2016

If we’re changing this, I’d honestly rather the different sides be given different storylets entirely. For most the tiers there’s two storylets with an option for both sides; I’d rather there be two storylets and both have the same side’s options.

While drastic measures like whole new storylets for both sides would be nice, tiny measures are easier to accomplish.

Baby steps are the best way to change.

Anyway, thank you Falling Kitten. I will give that extension a look, but I’m not always on a FL friendly computer. Sometimes I sneak a few minutes from work, school, or my phone. And given what I’m grinding…well its gonna be months before I’m done, so I would love to see a more permanent, if small change.

Not to diminish the helpfulness of your comment, however, just wanted to clarify that while helpful it doesn’t solve my complaint completely.

In conclusion, Falling Kitten, I have four words to say to you. Welcome to Night Vale.
edited by ShroudedInLight on 6/25/2016

I always thought that it was intentional. In matters of intrigue, someone is always trying to trip one up.

Personally, I find the box carousel annoying for more reasons that just that one button. It’s a useful grind, but it involves so many clicks through so much text I’ve read many times, with so many chances to misclick and screw yourself over by becoming a turncoat.

What I would really love is something that functions like the Gang of Hoodlums does for casing. Something that unlocks an multiple AP action that lets you earn intrigue in big chunks, for your current faction, with no risk of a misclick ruining your day.

You can mark the incorrect option as a Plan so it always has the red ribbon in the corner to warn you. I agree that it would be much nicer if we could just do it in multi-action chunks instead of clicking dozens of times for each batch of rewards.

It’s not so much the clicking as the scrolling and switching storylets that gets me. I got annoyed with the grind a while ago and switched to the fidgeting writer. Same number of clicks but when your working in bulk &quottry again&quot let’s you burn through what you need to do pretty quickly. Where as the box loop requires you to keep switching storylets and scrolling. If it was all packed onto one storylet and the options changed with your progress it would be a lot less annoying (not that I think this will/should happen).

All that being said, I’ll admit to just farming Thefts of Particular Character for a while there. Its got a low EPA compared to other grinds, but if you don’t have a lot of time it’s fast and it gets you useful resources you can use for other things later if so inclined. Just remember to trade in your casing before setting sail. I’ve made that mistake and wasted chunks of 30 casing before.