A Wonderful Lot of Suggestions!

Why yes, I am that kind of customer.

Given the nature of this thread, and knowing you developers have no time to waste, I filtered my suggestions in two sensible categories: conveniences and additions.
I know it’s early, very much so, and I understand this might appear like I’m pretending to know the draft better than its writer. Yet, I myself find others’ brainstorms quite useful at times; therefore, have mine!

[color=#FFFFFF]Conveniences[/color]

1. Hotkeys for the Gazetteer.
1 for the first option, 2 for the second one and so on. RPG style. Hotkeys for everything would eventually be nice (cards, fuel boosting and docking are just some examples), but the Gazetteer can prove to be quite grindy-sh. This is a problem FL also has but, with limited actions, it isn’t as big as an hassle there. For example, take carousing the Docks when your terror scratched the Neath’s roof. Or the Scholar when you just returned from an unbelievably lucky expedition. Or the Admiral when you’ve got reports from half the Zee. Or an Official when you just had a supposedly &quotskilled&quot game of chess.

2. Minor collisions shouldn’t stop your ship, only slow it down.
It doesn’t feel right at all. If steaming at full throttle I scratch the side of my hull on a reef, I don’t expect my engines to die and my momentum to get instantly lost. I did hear you say your boats are supposed to handle as boats as much as cars in GTA handle as cars: then let us stroke the coast in an attempt to dodge out of the way of those pesky Khanate Warships! These sons of rats have blades (I say: blades!) protruding from their decks!

3. Defeated ships could be stripped down to repair yours.
We have zailors cannibalizing each others, you can even [color=#1F1F1F]turn tomb colonists into supplies[/color], but why can’t ships cannibalize each other? I can see that being the most convenient and cheap (yet risky) way to get some nifty repairs. Maybe a certain level in Iron or a skilled enough engineer should be required.

4. There could be an option to automatically dock whenever possible.
I don’t know about you zailors out there but, when I enter port, it’s always to dock. It’s not exactly a waste of time, although getting an option to have that button pressed for you would no doubt be quite nice. Maybe it could trigger only once the boat hits the quayside: whatever works for you.

5. You could have an affair with one of your own officers.
Some of them look rather fascinating. I don’t see why not.

6. Different deaths could mean different things.
If you die ashore (happened to me twice), you could be given the option to start as the same captain, losing only what your ship had - most echoes included. Or, if you are killed by Dreadnaughts, you could restart having your old bandaged self as an Officer, whose bonuses could depend on your previous past or your begone abilities.

7. You could adjust the amount of prize crew you send back port.
There could be three amounts: bare (1 in the case of the pirate steamship), decent (hence the standard 3) and worthy (5, the maximum). More crew would mean higher chances of making it to port, and bigger boats will of course mean even higher chances. The bigger the stake, the higher the chance of winning it.

[color=#FFFFFF]Additions[/color]

8. Some flavor events could have minor in-game effects.
For example, approaching the Tomb Colonies or the Iron Republic could give you 1 terror while approaching London could remove some of it (of course, the latter should only work once a trip, and be reset only once you actually undock from London again)

9. Neutral ships and monsters could also be a thing.
Imperial frigates. Giant turtles. Mind-bogglingly slow cruisers. A crew of pirates stranded on an algae raft. They could all lead to interesting choices (with uncertain outcomes!) and shape a reputation, if that’s something you’re planning to implement.

10. AIs could have specific habits.
Packs of megalops could migrate further in the Zee. Pirates could, lights turned off, patiently prepare ambushes in strategic passages. Ships could be travelling from docks to docks (maybe taking some fancy paths), resting in one from time to time. Monsters of all kinds could occasionally hunt each other, given the natural and human instinct of showing the Neath who the boss really is down here.

11. Relevant cards could be drawn during combat.
Maybe your enemy is so battered he wants to surrender. Maybe you see your opportunity to do so. Maybe you realize that the monster is pregnant (a weak point!) or that it may have a baby following it (a live specimen!). Maybe it’s something so risky and spooky that only FB’s perverted Victorian Minds could ever conceive it.

12. Officers could also improve their own skills.
For example: an officer that would normally give you a +6 +3 bonus straight away would instead give only a +5 +2 bonus at first; once you provide them with certain increasingly exotic objects (the Genial Magician comes to mind) that bonus would rise, maybe up to +7 +4 or even more.

13. You could swap your ship for a defeated yet afloat one.
That would also mean that you could savage or send back as a prize your previous ship. And, it could also change your faction… if that kind of liberty is ever given. Anyway, this is something I personally really look forward to. Other than determining the storage, there isn’t much to do per se before allowing the player to take over a carefully won vessel… I almost wish I could code that in myself.

…And that is that! For now.
[color=#1F1F1F]_
I’ve been experimenting with formatting …and stuff. You shouldn’t be reading this.
edited by Xaphedo on 5/5/2014

[quote=Xaphedo]5. You could have an affair with one of your own officers.
Some of them look rather fascinating. I don’t see why not.[/quote]

<straight face>The Cladery Heir is indeed a delectable looking creature. Not easily impressed, I’d imagine. You’d have to work hard.</straight face> <smirk></smirk>

Ah! I forgot that some of the officers were actual… I mean! Fictional. Obviously imaginary.
All similarities ought to be coincidental.

How absurd. The very thought!

[color=#1F1F1F]Nice hat, I must say. You got me really jealous of that.[/color]

Ah! I forgot that some of the officers were actual… I mean! Fictional. Obviously imaginary.
All similarities ought to be coincidental.

How absurd. The very thought!

[color=#1F1F1F]Nice hat, I must say. You got me really jealous of that.[/color][/quote]

It’s a good hat in person too. Were the hat to be a real person, that is. Um.

;-) (I’m looking forward to the Heir’s gruesome death. Would be nice if she got a bit of wooing first, but I have no idea what the overlords of story have in mind.)

I wouldn’t be that skeptical.

[quote=Xaphedo]1. Hotkeys for the Gazetteer.
1 for the first option, 2 for the second one and so on. RPG style.Hotkeys for everythingwould eventually be nice (cards, fuel boosting and docking are just some examples), … [/quote]

Docking hotkey: +1!
I’d really really like that! It’s a little inconvenient to steer my craft by keys and then having to grab my mouse again (&quotWhere did ye go? Oh! Oh, no, aaaah! Weeee … phew, that’s been a close one!&quot) to find that smallish button before crashing my fragile hull straight (or angled) into the quay wall … :D

I approve of 100% of these suggestions

A good batch of suggestions, my friend. Thought I’d weigh in with my thoughts as well.

[quote=Xaphedo][i][color=#FFFFFF]Conveniences[/color]

1. Hotkeys for the Gazetteer.
1 for the first option, 2 for the second one and so on. RPG style. Hotkeys for everything would eventually be nice (cards, fuel boosting and docking are just some examples), but the Gazetteer can prove to be quite grindy-sh. This is a problem FL also has but, with limited actions, it isn’t as big as an hassle there. For example, take carousing the Docks when your terror scratched the Neath’s roof. Or the Scholar when you just returned from an unbelievably lucky expedition. Or the Admiral when you’ve got reports from half the Zee. Or an Official when you just had a supposedly &amp;amp;quotskilled&amp;amp;quot game of chess.[/i][/quote]

I wouldn’t mind hot keys, but I don’t think they’re super necessary. I feel like hot keys for the gazetteer would make it really easy to rush through choices without reading them, which given the quality of the writing is a crime. A docking hot key would be lovely though!

[quote=Xaphedo]
2. Minor collisions shouldn’t stop your ship, only slow it down.
It doesn’t feel right at all. If steaming at full throttle I scratch the side of my hull on a reef, I don’t expect my engines to die and my momentum to get instantly lost. I did hear you say your boats are supposed to handle as boats as much as cars in GTA handle as cars: then let us stroke the coast in an attempt to dodge out of the way of those pesky Khanate Warships! These sons of rats have blades (I say: blades!) protruding from their decks!
[/quote]

I like collision mechanics as they stand right now. And I imagine if they allowed the throttle to remain during a collision, you’d eat through your hull as soon as you hear the grating noise.

[quote=Xaphedo]3. Defeated ships could be stripped down to repair yours.
We have zailors cannibalizing each others, you can even [color=#1F1F1F]turn tomb colonists into supplies[/color], but why can’t ships cannibalize each other? I can see that being the most convenient and cheap (yet risky) way to get some nifty repairs. Maybe a certain level in Iron or a skilled enough engineer should be required.
[/quote]

Yes please. This would be awesome. Though Ian there an option to scrap it, which gives supplies, which allows at sea repairs?

[quote=Xaphedo]4. There could be an option to automatically dock whenever possible.
I don’t know about you zailors out there but, when I enter port, it’s always to dock. It’s not exactly a waste of time, although getting an option to have that button pressed for you would no doubt be quite nice. Maybe it could trigger only once the boat hits the quayside: whatever works for you.
[/quote]

I feel like a Hotkey to Dock would be fine. I’d rather efforts were put elsewhere.

[quote=Xaphedo]5. You could have an affair with one of your own officers.
Some of them look rather fascinating. I don’t see why not.
[/quote]

The officers all have stories to play through (though the stories are currently locked.) Knowing FB, romance is almost a given.

[quote=Xaphedo]6. Different deaths could mean different things.
If you die ashore (happened to me twice), you could be given the option to start as the same captain, losing only what your ship had - most echoes included. Or, if you are killed by Dreadnaughts, you could restart having your old bandaged self as an Officer, whose bonuses could depend on your previous past or your begone abilities.
[/quote]

Hmm. Interesting idea. More legacy options would be cool. What I would really enjoy attached to the legacy is an achievement system similar to FTL where new starting options become available upon completing certain large stories (for example playing through the whole of the Hunter’s Keep story could unlock a different starting ship or officer) I’m not sure if FB wants that sort of &amp;quotpermanent&amp;quot unlock rather than the softer carrying over from the previous game, but I feel like it’d be cool.

[quote=Xaphedo]7. You could adjust the amount of prize crew you send back port.
There could be three amounts: bare (1 in the case of the pirate steamship), decent (hence the standard 3) and worthy (5, the maximum). More crew would mean higher chances of making it to port, and bigger boats will of course mean even higher chances. The bigger the stake, the higher the chance of winning it.
[/quote]

Brilliant idea. Doesn’t seem like it would be difficult to implement either.

[quote=Xaphedo][i]Additions[/color]

8. Some flavor events could have minor in-game effects.
For example, approaching the Tomb Colonies or the Iron Republic could give you 1 terror while approaching London could remove some of it (of course, the latter should only work once a trip, and be reset only once you actually undock from London again)[/i][/quote]

Not a terrible idea, but as you say, minor. I’d much rather see a temporary reprieve from terror events when a ship is in lighted waters.

[quote=Xaphedo]
9. Neutral ships and monsters could also be a thing.
Imperial frigates. Giant turtles. Mind-bogglingly slow cruisers. A crew of pirates stranded on an algae raft. They could all lead to interesting choices (with uncertain outcomes!) and shape a reputation, if that’s something you’re planning to implement.
[/quote]

Yes, please! If everything encountered on the seas is hostile, then there is no fear of uncertainty. See a foe, kill a foe, sail on. But if you give us hope that this might be a fellow merchant or a benevolent crew of freed souls, then we never know what to expect. Adds such an element of &amp;quotI need supplies and I see a light… Maybe they blow me out of the water, but they might just trade some food for these trade goods I’ve got in my hold…&amp;quot Neutral seafarers = good.

[quote=Xaphedo]
10. AIs could have specific habits.
Packs of megalops could migrate further in the Zee. Pirates could, lights turned off, patiently prepare ambushes in strategic passages. Ships could be travelling from docks to docks (maybe taking some fancy paths), resting in one from time to time. Monsters of all kinds could occasionally hunt each other, given the natural and human instinct of showing the Neath who the boss really is down here.
[/quote]

I know there still working through AI behavior, and imagine these are all things they plan to implement.

[quote=Xaphedo]
11. Relevant cards could be drawn during combat.
Maybe your enemy is so battered he wants to surrender. Maybe you see your opportunity to do so. Maybe you realize that the monster is pregnant (a weak point!) or that it may have a baby following it (a live specimen!). Maybe it’s something so risky and spooky that only FB’s perverted Victorian Minds could ever conceive it.
[/quote]

Love it. Combat has a fair amount of work yet to do, but more variety would be grand.

[quote=Xaphedo]
12. Officers could also improve their own skills.
For example: an officer that would normally give you a +6 +3 bonus straight away would instead give only a +5 +2 bonus at first; once you provide them with certain increasingly exotic objects (the Genial Magician comes to mind) that bonus would rise, maybe up to +7 +4 or even more.
[/quote]

I suggested the same thing myself in a different thread.

[quote=Xaphedo]
13. You could swap your ship for a defeated yet afloat one.
That would also mean that you could savage or send back as a prize your previous ship. And, it could also change your faction… if that kind of liberty is ever given. Anyway, this is something I personally really look forward to. Other than determining the storage, there isn’t much to do per se before allowing the player to take over a carefully won vessel… I almost wish I could code that in myself.
[/quote]

Fun! I like it.

Thank you for your suggestions!
edited by StormKoala on 5/7/2014
edited by StormKoala on 5/7/2014

Thanks for the great feedback! And don’t be afraid to give any harsh ones! [color=#1F1F1F] It would be a pleasure to prove wrong those who think I may closely resemble a hothead (;[/color]

Now, allow me to say something myself:

If one is that easily disinterested in the game’s writing, well, there probably wasn’t much hope in the first place. Though I’d like to note that, on the contrary, this one is a feature that is most appreciated in RPGs because it solves the distraction of having to grab, slide and click the mouse. Instead, your other hand just goes tap so you can keep sinking in your character’s shoes with little interruption.

But if you were to bounce off a little, keeping your momentum only and only when bumping your hull’s side (it happened to me countless times), that wouldn’t worsen your condition at all. Assuming you weren’t carelessly steaming towards a red-eyed menace, that is.

[color=#111111]Anyway, my apologies for responding so late: it’s been quite the busy week![/color]

In terms of hotkeys, I’m not too fussed with ones for the Gazetteer (I’d use them if they were there but I don’t mind that they’re not. The exception, as it is with most others is a docking hotkey. Not only do I have to scrabble a bit to move my mouse to dock but because of the shape of the docking button, I always want to hit spacebar when it appears (which means I get the creepy pause lighting instead).

I also totally second (or is it third, or fourth) the suggestion of neutral ships/creatures. I sail at every ship I see just on the off chance that they’ve been implemented and I just haven’t found them yet.

In other feedback I actually don’t mind the Terror balance too much right now. I believe they’ve introduced a few new cards that start spawning at 50 Terror so you don’t immediately get the rash of teakettle-assisted suicides you used to.
And now that I’ve started exploring a bit further into the Principalities of Coral and such, it does feel like that there are a number of options to help mitigate Terror from voyages.
The one that springs immediately to mind is Demeaux Island and having tea with the Factor which can lower your Terror by 10 for the round trip Port Cecil run on its own (I believe playing chess also lowers Terror but I never choose it because I want Scintillack).
Sunless Sea is a rogue-like sort of game and I think the slow inevitable creep of Terror very much fits the flavour and feel of the game. The intrinsic unsettlingness of the Zee can be mitigated by stops ashore but it will inexorably creep up if you don’t actively spend resources to reduce it.
One thing I would like to see is some visual tie to increasing Terror.
Perhaps as Terror increases, the lighting level could lower and get creepier. It’d really get across the creep factor of your crew (and yourself) slowly losing their minds.

A really minor thing that I wouldn’t mind seeing changed is the zee-bat (chiropteroscope?). The fact that the bat doesn’t return to your ship but instead to the spot where you launched it has always irked me a little. It’s such a minor thing, but I would love to see the bat actually fly back to your boat.

Another thing which I would find really cool to see would be one off, &quotpointless&quot writing. By this, I mean the sort of background detail which doesn’t advance story or anything but simply adds to the background verisimillitude of the world. Perhaps like an actual newspaper which you can pick up. And I would love to see more stuff which you only do get the option to see once (such as the Hunter’s Keep stories. Currently, a lot of the writing we get access to is quite grindy and we do the same actions over and over. For me, this means I can tend to stop paying attention to the writing sometimes (and the writing is one of the strengths of the game). Having plenty of one off would keep players paying attention and savouring the writing.

There’s also suggestions I’ve mentioned before but I’ll mention again anyway, namely an actual writeable journal and perhaps some sort of dynamic market system.

Finally, I want to actually know what the locale page in the gazetteer is for because currently I’m really not sure. It seems to just be a picture of your current location. But there’s a whole empty page next to it.
Anyone know?

Regarding the hot-key for docking. I haven’t missed one because I always cut my throttle back as I’m coming into port. Drop to speed 1 as I get close then as soon as the dock button appears I kill the engine. As the ship slowly drifts in I have plenty of time to hit the button. It’s not like it’s a race to the dock.

Yeah, count me amongst the manual dockers. Hot keys for trading, and perhaps an easier way to access tabs in the gazetter, but docking is fine as it is. I like to cut the engine and drift in, with the smoke slowly dying from my funnel…

There was a recent comment that I lost track of, to the effect that upgrading to a dreadnaught loses the sense of ship motion when turning: I second that. Maybe it’s the absence of a prominent funnel, maybe the ship is intended to represent not pitching to much, but whatever the reason it is not as enjoyable a motion to watch.

Suggestion: a warning when an option will give you items, but your hold is too full to contain them.
I just killed one of these giant crabs off Fallen London (forgot their name), and not realizing my hold was full, I picked the supplies option. So I got one more supply, immediately followed by the window to throw things overboard, and had to get rid of said supply again. I would have loved some kind of warning, I would have picked the knowledge instead.