A Trader in Birthrights

&quotResearch…&quot There’s an odd tone to Mathieu’s voice, which only another father could understand. Heartbreak at seeing her on the other side of a conflict that he is on, surprise at seeing her at all, incredulity at her stated reasons, and a small bit of pride at the fact that he’s taught her well in keeping cool in a conflict. &quotWhat could you possibly be researching?&quot

&quotHm, Turkish Clocks, and their effects upon dreams.&quot Irene’s tone is much more inscrutable, but then, she is always rather hard to judge. &quotI must say, this is all very fascinating. More Salty than Sweet, I should say, which rather goes against the popular hypothesis.&quot Her overall attitude is detached from the situation, though whether that’s from Fingerking control, or a genuine scientific approach is hard to tell.

Mathieu, for his part, sighs, anticipating a difficult conversation, and turns on the interloping Trader the full barb of his wit. &quotIf you’re going to talk politics, then you must know that I am not only a believer in Protection, but Home Rule. And your lot are as welcome in my Home as the English in County Cork!&quot

&quotThat’s a bit rich, considering I don’t live in your home any more than the Empress lives in Dublin.&quot Irene retorts, seeming to inspect her reflection in the blade of a knife.

Any chance of a rejoinder is cut off by the sudden flash of sunlight, which the Bard takes as an opportunity to rush up to his daughter, taking her by the wrist. &quotWhat are you doing here, seriously?&quot He asks in a hoarse whisper. &quotDo you even know what’s going on?&quot

&quotDo you? After all, you’ve only heard one side of the story…&quot

[quote=Vavakx Nonexus][OOC: Sorry if I don’t answer quickly. I often end up sitting on an answer for several hours, feeling that it just isn’t good enough to post as it is, before posting with minimal edits.][/quote]Hey, we don’t have a time limit here! Take as long as you need! ;)

Phryne is disappointed, but not too surprised, with the effects of the light blast. She’s not very alarmed about the speed with which the Trader follows Passion, her Ocelot, since she’s quite sure he can outrun any snake, even one with wings, vanes, or whatever. Also, Passion is leading the Trader directly back to the open doorway to Bugsby’s Marshes, with two Serpent-Cutters at this side of the opening, and a lot more at the other. Let’s see how good they really are!

So she leaves the Psmiths to their family matters (best never to intrude upon these) and turns directly at her friend, or the thing trying to pass for her friend, Vavakx Nonexus.

&quotI’ve had about enough of this! Would you care to tell me - in as few words as possible because I’m not feeling very patient here - what you could possibly hope to gain by all this?&quot

Vavakx cannot help but notice Phryne’s fingers playing impatiently on the hilt of her sword, and the fact that she appears to be splattered in snake-blood from the tip of her hat to toes of her boots.

The Fingerkings’ Huntsman shields her eyes against the shimmering glow creeping up at them from - oh, from whatever direction! Parabola, remember?

&quotIt’s the Radiant Warmonger,&quot she says, her face inscrutable behind her Leopard mask. &quotWhat a surprise! A distant relative of mine - or ancestor, I should say - they were possessed about two centuries ago. They’re completely helpless when not constantly pointed in the right direction by those Glass-Carriers following them around with mirrors. I would suggest,&quot she turns to the tiger-masked leader of the Serpent-Cutters, &quotyou hide yourselves while I talk to my great-great-great-grand-uncle. If I place my left hand on my sword,&quot her right-hand-sword now being with Phryne, &quotyou turn on the mirror-bearers. Try to smash as many as possible.&quot

The tiger-masked man nods sharply, then he and his lion-masked companion each draw both their scimitars - remarkably similar in appearance to those carried by the Radiant Warmonger’s minions - and set out toward the group in a wide half-circle, one closing from the left and one from the right.

Apsalar steps clearly into view. &quotHalt!&quot she calls out. &quotWhy do you approach the Huntsman in this hostile manner? The Huntsman, who is your superior. The Huntsman, who has taken her oaths in the Castle of Forests. The Huntsman, who has travelled to Irem and gazed upon What Lies Beyond. State your name and business!&quot

She figures that, the Warmonger being so much older than she, he’ll probably prefer this grandish manner of speech. She still has to shield her eyes against the reflected glow of his uniform.

pruning, always pruning…
edited by phryne on 6/25/2016

The Euphemian Game-Carver would look in the direction of the two animals in what might be disappoint, as the Trader in Birthrights would fail to hit Passion with the array of sharp implements at it’s disposal.
&quotWell, you drive a hard bargain, as my tale is not a short one. The Fingerking’s Creation did not occur with my support. Well, it did, but not from the current version of myself. It already had access to my body, and instead of being devoured, I decided to instead strike a deal. Now, it takes up duty in my body for most of the time, and I remain here. This is not that bad a place, and definitely better than my other options.&quot

The Radiant Warmonger approaches the masked Huntsman, answering her demands to stop with &quotYour feats are recognized, Huntsman, but why do you don a feline mask? Is this an admission of betrayal, fair daughter? Do you seek to be put to the blade!?&quot After making a quick sign to the Glass-Carriers with it, he puts his other hand on the scimitar’s handle for a better swing in preparation for battle.

[Edit: Just mistakes and misreadings getting corrected with more text, as usual.
Edit 2: Just fixes and rereadings getting removed for later use, as usual.]
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 6/24/2016

The Captain would have called for his tiger, still hidden in the jungles, but with the Trader pursuing the ocelot Vavakx and the Great Snake are no longer together, and any blast must encompass both – that is now clear.

War requires sacrifice. No army, no matter how well formed, is made for display. No ship, no matter how well trained, is made for anything other than to steam at flank speed into Harm’s Way. The Captain would have even sacrificed themselves and their friends to stop the Trader in Birthrights, but separated from Vavakx that is not a choice that is available to them.

Spinning in place Absimiliard turns and races to pursue the ancient Fingerking and Passion, Phryne’s companion.

&quotWe need them together Phryne. I will try to draw the Trader back.&quot

In the greenery Dawon creeps around the Temple, finally gaining a position from which to pounce on Vavakx, but holding, waiting, motionless but for the tip of his tail – twitching madly. His eyes are narrowed, his ears pinned back against his head, but he does not growl – for now is still a time to wait in reserve.

Dawon often pretends to stupidity, that he is nothing more than a magnificent body attached to a very handsome face – for a tiger – but he understands battle well. He knows that now almost all forces are committed.

Soon it will be time, to deploy the Reserves, to decide the battle.

He readies for that moment.
edited by absimiliard on 6/24/2016

Phryne shakes her head at the Game-Carver’s statement. &quotThe Trader hasn’t Claimed you yet. I would know. Apsalar would know! I’m tempted to just club you over the head and drag you back to London to see what happens. Snakes lie, Vavakx! How do you know you can’t leave here? Have you actually tried? Or do you like it here so much?&quot

&quotWhat is it to you what masks I wear for my pleasure?&quot Apsalar retorts boldly. &quotWhat would you know about my plans? And how dare you threaten me!&quot Her left hand hovers above her sword-hilt, but doesn’t touch it yet. She still hopes to resolve this particular confrontation without violence…

Flinging aside their spectacles Absimiliard’s eyes would blaze with a cosmogone light deep within – cosmogone, the color of forgotten Sunlight, the color no Snake can resist. They would race after the Trader, which is in hot pursuit of the ocelot ‘Passion’. As they race farther from the Temple they would soon see the glow of the Radiant Warmonger, and see his companions, the mirror-carriers.

Knowing that the loss of Apsalar would result in disaster near as complete as if the Trader were to become the Huntsman Absimiliard would change course and charge the enemy.

Their mouth would open, and words unspeakable by human throats outside of a dream would erupt outwards. Flames limn Absimiliard’s figure as they scream Correspondence in Dreams, invoking the PROPERTIES OF NUMBERS. One by one the mirrors held by the mirror-carriers begin to vanish, for in dreams one plus one can very well equal one, and if that is so then one minus none can equal none as well – &quotnone&quot, the number of mirrors now carried by the Radiant Warmonger’s allies.

With that Absimiliard crashes into the line of the mirror-carriers, sword flicking outwards, striking and retreating. Overwhelmed by numbers the Captain is forced back, soon they begin to take damage as the enemy’s numbers overwhelms any defense a single blade can erect. Soon, they drip blood from many cuts to the jungle floor.

edited by absimiliard on 6/25/2016

In the midst of all the chaos, a father and a daughter are having, for the circumstances, a surprisingly prosaic conversation.

&quotI mean, besides Vavakx and Absimiliard, do you really know anyone here?&quot Irene gestures to the scattering group of Glasspersons and Snakes, which seems for the moment to have left them both alone with Vavakx. &quotI don’t. I think it best, all things considered, not to pick sides to irrevocably or too hastily.&quot

Mathieu, for his part, is restraining a great deal of frustration. Of course, Irene is younger, and has not had the experiences with Parabola that he has. &quotMy own decision was not made hastily, Irene. But having enlisted, I follow the flag, even if I am sometimes assigned to new regiments, as it were.&quot

&quotYou’re growning conservative in your old age, da.&quot She smirks, twirling her dagger. &quotIt’s kind of sad to see, given your history.&quot

&quotOh, don’t you start on politics, young lady!&quot The impatience slips free for just a second, a second more that Mathieu is occupied, away from the fight. In the back of his mind, he begins to see why the Trader may have brought Irene here. Perhaps it is no malign influence, but her own stubborn independence that is meant to neutralize the captain’s last-minute ally…

Drawn by the glow of forgotten sunlight in the Curious Captain’s eyes the Trader in Birthrights banks and turns away from the ocelot. On Atramentous Wings it flies back towards the light it craves. &quot[b]Oh mon soleil , je vais vous dévorer ![/b]&quot

Physically guided by the now mirror-less carriers the Radiant Warmonger turns towards Absimiliard. The light blinds the Captain, and they fall to a knee – stabbed through by a cruel scimitar.

From above the Trader in Birthrights descends and seizes the Captain in it’s coils, it bellows to the Rosers, &quot[b]Pour Trône ![/b]&quot and rises again into the air – it’s prey wrapped in it’s coils. Their sword drops from Absimiliard’s sole free hand as they scream as more ribs crack and a shoulder dislocates.

Then, flying fast, the Trader in Birthrights would once again approach it’s Chromium Throne, and Vavakx. It would drop down, from the sky to land besides its Changeling. Absimiliard’s body would drop as it’s coils release, and from their kit bag a box falls to the ground. Absimiliard tries to reach for the mirror-catch box they know is filled not with sunlight cut with moonlight but instead with pure moonlight intended to be mixed with sunlight later. The Trader in Birthrights drops atop the Captain, pinioning them to the ground.

Then it would bend over the Captain’s glowing eyes and stretch it’s jaws wide …

edited by absimiliard on 6/25/2016

Open-mouthed, Apsalar watches the Captain’s reckless charge into the Glass-Carriers. Never has she seen anything more stupidly heroic… or heroically stupid! Anyway, when the now Glass-less Glass-Carriers turn upon the Captain, she touches her sword - upon that signal the two Serpent-Cutters burst from hiding to make short work of them. Most surrender immediately: they’re no fighters, that’s the Warmonger’s job…

But all this has gone far too quickly for the Radiant Warmonger to react, and here he stands, glowing brightly in all directions, completely without orientation.

Now Apsalar takes off her mask, figuring it wasn’t much use anyway, and steps closer towards her ancestor, shielding her eyes from his Radiance. &quotUncle,&quot she says, surprising everyone with real tenderness in her voice. &quotNow might be a good time to finally take off that armour…? Let us speak as the kinspeople we are,&quot she says, emphasizing people. &quotYou do still remember being human once, do you?&quot

(ooc: Come on, someone go open that box! Bonus points if it’s V, of course.)

[OOC: I might even do that, but not in this post. Also, it’s coming soon.
P.S. Why do I have to do updates just to say that it’s coming? I’m not some game dev talking 'bout bugfixes.
P.P.S. Good question, me, not a wise one.]

Two figures would stand near the Chromium Throne, one of them covered in Snake guts, the other weaponless. &quotDo you assume that the Guardian came here for some sort of special occasion? That it’s a friend, coming to congratulate us with the birthday, or somesuch? I call it the Guardian for a reason, Pursuivant of Truth, and it would carve my mind apart were I to leave. If I was lied to, I do not wish to test the boundaries of their daring. Not at this price.&quot

The Radiant Warmonger refuses, reasons uncertain, but sheathes his blade to talk &quotForgive me, fair daughter, for doubting you. You are not along with them.&quot he says, gazing in the direction of the scarred Captain, mostly thanks to his own blade. &quotOur powers are the perfect gift, immeasurable in their wonders, and I am sure you understand that. What we give up is a meager price for them, but it has to be paid in servitude. We are led to do… terrible things. My oath is strong, daughter, but it cannot hold.&quot He takes of the sheath from his side, scimitar still hidden within. &quotI was sent to kill you, and I do not know for what reason. I hoped that you were a traitor, that I would do right, but you are innocent. I cannot murder you.&quot the Radiant Warmonger stretches out his hand to give the sheathed blade to the Huntsman &quotEnd me, so I do not have to end you.&quot
The Glass-Carriers, now without their armaments stand and watch their leader in silent respect. They know the pain of loss, and none of them will not be the arbiter of another’s fate in such a situation.

The Atramentous Serpent would loom over the Scarred Captain &quotOh Rose, oh Rose. Your eyes will make for wonderful illumination here. Delightful… I am sure the others will make due with only one of them, and the other eye….&quot The Trader would lick its sharp teeth and menacing incisors with its forked tongue, &quotDelightful…&quot before spreading its maw to reveal a deep, dark void. The Trader would exhale with blazing word. THE PROPERTY OF NUMBERS, in it’s many forms, would echo through Parabola, reverberating into THE PROPERTY OF PROPERTIES at the Captain’s location. Glass begins to slowly crawl up their fingers, replacing the almost snow-white texture with glimmering transparency. A painless, but terrifying process.

[OOC: I may or may not have made a subtle reference to Gunnerkrigg Court here. Also, the meta of PROPERTY OF PROPERTIES is fairly hilarious.]

The whole operation, now, was descending from planned excursion to desperate improvisation. It had done so, in fact, from the moment that Mathieu was involved. In order to neutralize him at the last minute, Irene had been called in, but with little prior brainwashing. The upshot of which is that both broke off their discussion when they saw their mutual friend fall broken and entangled right next to them!

While Irene was stunned, Mathieu was thinking hard. All his invocations and Dream-shiftings were not the sort that could be deployed immediately, at least none that he had been given time to grab. Thus, he had to make do with whatever situation was presented to him. And right now, that situation was the PROPERTY OF PROPERTIES.

Properties… the Property of a man growing conservative in his old age… INSPIRATION!

Reaching into his pocket, the Glassman pulled out a pistol. &quotGET. OFF. MY. LAWN!&quot With a bang, he sent the cosmogone-laced lead bullet straight for the latch of the mirror-catch box, blowing it wide open…

Couldn’t pass up the opportunity to go for the pun!

Tears glisten in Apsalar’s eyes. From the Warmonger’s gleaming radiance? Or does she see a reflection of her own fate in his?

&quotNot like this,&quot she whispers. Thus, when she accepts the sheathed scimitar offered by her ancestor, she takes him by the arm with her other hand - and they both disappear from sight!

&quotThere goes our shortcut,&quot Passion the Ocelot says to the perplexed Serpent-Cutters. &quotGuess we’ll have to travel home the long way round now.&quot

In the end, Phryne never did get a chance to finish her conversation with Vavakx. When she saw quick-thinking Mr Psmith draw his pistol, she realized what he was trying to do… but she also saw that it would not be enough: while the Trader - and Absimiliard! - would be more-or-less directly in the line of moonlight, the Changeling would not. With no time for further deliberation, she grabbed her surprised friend by the shoulders and hurled them directly onto the prone Captain.

Mr Psmith fired his pistol unerringly, the box sprang open - and pure undiluted Moonlight streamed out of it, this time fully entangling both the Serpent and its Changeling!

[OOC: Vavakx, since the Trader is your invention, the honour of describing its demise is also yours… ;)]

The Trader of Birthrights would not notice the outburst of Moonlight, distracted by the Curious Captain’s cosmogone radiance. The lunar beams furiously outpouring from the box would hit the Atramentous Serpent, and be absorbed into it’s dark scales, if not for the stray light illuminating the sigil upon it’s forehead. The word of Xanadu would melt under the radiation, and would, with it’s absence, cause the Fingerking, surprisingly light in terms of weight, to turn into a husk and fall down upon the poor Captain beneath it.
The Game-Carver, flung into the shining fray, would remain mostly unaffected. Their gown, though, would now reflect sights of Surface London, filled with men in red and moonlit arches. The same landscape would now occupy the plains, as if a tattoo on the earth.
Absimiliard’s vitreous condition would not dissipate, and the transparent transfigurations would continue, replacing thumb and toe, and the occasional patch of hair with reflective glass.

[OOC: I’ll be leaving the Warmonger’s fate up to Phryne. I have already done my part with him.]

[OOC: So, I think that’s actually the interesting bits. Anyone think telling the story of how we get back compares? If not, I think we now know how it went down. Thanks.]

[OOC: Well, I’m neutral on the matter. It’s a chance to explore the resulting character relationships, but it’s not really that interesting, and probably would be better as a more private matter for people to solve on their own by, well, interacting with us.]
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 6/27/2016

[OOC: Then I think we got an answer as to what happened. Thanks Phryne, Rackenhammer, V. I was hoping taking it here where we could all participate would be better than trying to resolve this as a flurry of in-game confusion.

So, let’s grant that we all make it back. Abs is wounded, but will heal – because FL. I don’t really wanna have glass fingers or hair though, do you mind if I heal those and just leave their fingernails as mirrored claws? It’s gonna sound odd but I try to keep my character physically human – I did say it would sound odd."]

[OOC: Oh, of course you can work around it. I am not here to bring changes, only the options for such. Also, I have grown surprisingly fond of the Radiant Warmonger (guess that’s what happens when you introduce a semi-honest and morally lighter-gray character for your control, even if only for a moment) and wouldn’t mind hearing of what happens to him. Thanks for making this all happen, guys.]

[OOC: Great! Because mirror-fingernails is pretty cool indeed. It’s a nice add, without being too much.]