A song repeated, as the election approaches

As the election draws closer, this particular shanty is getting sung with more frequency in the poorer parts of town.

Leader: One night a woman, kind but poor, an echo saved and nothing more,
Chorus: Was robbed and beaten sore, on the road outside a store.
Leader: For help she’s crying! And who comes trying?
Chorus: Three see that she is near to dying!

Leader: One thing the bishop wants to know. “If it were devils left you so?”
Chorus: “No, sir. No no. ‘Twas men who laid me low.”
Leader: “Your soul is well, my war’s with hell.”
Chorus: And he leaves her there where she had fell!

Leader: The contrary man rolls past her. “You’d get home faster, as your own master.”
Chorus: “Please sir just lend a hand. I just don’t understand.”
Leader: “I don’t give a shit, 'less you play my games of wit.”
Chorus: And he leaves her there where she’d been hit!

Leader: Then comes the lady in stockings red. Who sees the woman left for dead.
Chorus: And gives her a hand, to help her stand.
Leader: For she helps many. And helps them plenty.
Chorus: She dares to care – our Sinning Jenny!

Wherever Eli is right now, he can’t get this song out of his head.

(( Excellent work by the way, I know great lyrics when I can picture music and the way to sing it in my head just by the beats. You never disappoint, App! Always an inspiration. ))

The Dockers love the song; it’s got a clear message they like, the form is call and response with a leader they can sing with, it’s simple enough to remember and repeat – and best of all it’s set to an new and very popular zee-shanty’s tune and everyone knows it.

Can’t pass three working crews down on Wolfstack docks without one of them singing it.

And with the zailors, dockers, and Unions all riled, the Neddies are starting to avoid Wolfstack again.

[OOC: Great lyrics, though I doubt Debate Wheelchair would descend to using ‘shit’ in regular correspondence.]

Does it matter? This is a song made by Jenny’s followers for Jenny’s followers. That it’s all lies isn’t important.

Appolonia, I love you! This is amazing! :)

Absolutely AND completely splendid! The shades of Biblical parable are an extra poke in the Bishop’s eye!

Well of course he wouldn’t. That is why it is fun for them to sing!

Small people mocking big people… ;)

It’s hard not to go into the Docks without hearing the song. Though clear supporters against Jenny twist their lips at it’s verses, tons of zailors and union workers alike chant out it’s verses jovially. It’s hard to pass through without stopping, passing around a tankard of ale, and joining in. This problem becomes a consistent one for Amelia. Despite her original intent to come here, she leaves the docks plastered and humming the verses down the street. A damnable song but leagues better than the plague at Mahogany Hall.

[ A+ work. Writing lyrics for a song is hard but to leave such a visual impression is amazing. ]

It’s a nice song. It should be sung while voting.

The Voting booths are neutral ground. No candidate propaganda should be allowed to play during that important moment.

When reprinting the ditty, newspapers give the Contrarian a substitute rhyme - usually “care a bit.”

When the shanty is re-printed in the newspapers, it also reaches those who do not ever visit the poor parts of town…

the phrase landslide victory comes to mind. Well written lyrics. Truth be told I’d prefer to be saved by a woman in red stockings as well.

Not just a monster-hunting ninja Robin-hood nun, a monster-hunting ninja Robin-hood nun in Scarlet Stockings!

(we all wanna be saved by Jenny, really)

Even though the Contrarian tried helping the woman by getting her to help herself, affirming control over her own life and becoming someone who can not only provide herself, but also others. Self-mastery is what matters. London’s not a jewel, she’s a lump of coal, coarse and dark (and she’ll burn well).

[li]Appolonia’s fellow Campaigner has taken on seven of Appolonia’s Urchin friends, refugees of the Chimney-Pot Wars. Pressed for time, the Distrait American has not bothered to compose a song of her own, but instead, often leads her group of Agate House Orphans in a rowdy, fast-paced &quotAmerican Classic,&quot the third verse of which is frequently bellowed at members of the Clematis League: &quotOh, the preacher, he’s a dodger!&quot (This is a pro-Cleveland, anti-Blaine 1884 campaign song. Here’s the lyrics. Here’s a vintage recording) Out of the mouths of babes! Well, surely Urchins would know, being Dodgers?

Sometimes, campaigners harass crowds of dockers with hymns and warnings about the danger of Iron Republic corsairs. But hymns are not for dockers, and it is always the song in the end. Not all zailosr go to the Republic, but all zailors return to London. A better London.

;)

And in the better-groomed parts of the town, another song—part hymn, part patriotic march—resounds in very particular salons and gatherings, especially when the conversations become a bit too lively.

Many are called but few are chosen
He who fought and she who rows in Hell;
Have you a thought for those who weren’t bought,
Should they not be forgotten?

Though your sins be as scarlet,
They will be as white as snow.
What lies in the smallest heartlet,
Only the Lord God knows.

Every rose has its thorns,
Viper’s poison carries dread.
Woe to those who hand out stones,
Which they reckon loaves of bread!

They who sold us to our foes in Hell;

Those who live in a dark land,
The light will shine on them.
Do you believe and take your stand,
Or do you act at random?

Best of the worst is neither,
Choose wisely, choose it right.
Will tomorrow first be brighter,
When it’s likely to be night?

London’s harboring the bartering adversaries in its arteries and
Someone has to start it and go farther than the martyrs in
Eighteen-Sixty-Nine!

If we are far too weak,

If blessed shan’t be the meek,

Then the first step to reverse our fortunes so far,

IS TO RALLY WITH THE G_______D BISHOP OF SOUTHWARK!

They who sold us to our foes in Hell;

Usually, only a part of the entire tune is sung at a time, depending on how much port the singers have imbibed… much like how the anonymous writers of the song progressed through their work themselves.