A reckonning will almost be postposed no longer.

I wonder if he remembers all those people that sent him gifts and cards last year. if so I may regret that. Or not.
edited by Kylestien on 6/7/2016

Be careful with your thread titles, it’s not released yet. The moment I saw this in my unread topics I practically jumped out of my seat thinking it might be an official announcement.

That said, I’m pretty damn excited. SMEN was put on hiatus shortly after I started playing but before I had the courage to start it, and its return is something I’ve been waiting on for a long time.

[quote=Zantumall]Be careful with your thread titles, it’s not released yet. The moment I saw this in my unread topics I practically jumped out of my seat thinking it might be an official announcement.

That said, I’m pretty damn excited. SMEN was put on hiatus shortly after I started playing but before I had the courage to start it, and its return is something I’ve been waiting on for a long time.[/quote]

You are right. Edited title.

If you want to get aboard the hype train, there’s a thread in Salon discussing Mr. Eaten’s glorious return.
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22295-mr-eaten-content.aspx For your convenience.

As for the more technical side of it, do people generally play this content with their main, or with an alt?

I’d be very excited to have something new to do with my main, but I’d hate truly permanent consequences, of the kind that forever prevent me from finishing my ambition, or otherwise lock me out of other interesting things to do in the future.

As Grenem said over in the other thread:

You can have wealth while seeking the name- the main costs are if you’ve sold the soul you stain, or otherwise ones you choose to pay. That said, some of them are surprising- losing all lodgings is not-only-cheap but beneficial, but you get cards added to your deck- actively hostile ones- you lose the ability to sell your soul or gain the ire of devils for ruining their property or other, equally dire things.

There are very few options where you lose equipment or all forms of money- but stats and similar can be lost.

From what i’ve read, it doesn’t permanantly cost you much- but it costs you a lot of temporary things, and keeps demanding them. Stats, connections, dreams, life, hope, survival…

It is a giant maw of a quest, forever devouring and consuming- but it doesn’t permanently penalize you that often. Just consumes faster than you can produce, should you continue, and, in time, demands the rarest of rarities from you.[/quote]

I play it with my main, since I only have a main. :’)

Main, otherwise the losses don’t sting properly.

edit: If/when you fine people from FB see this, please please PLEASE add a way to get rid of &quotFree of the Name&quot
edited by John Moose on 6/7/2016

[quote=Ian Hart]As for the more technical side of it, do people generally play this content with their main, or with an alt?

I’d be very excited to have something new to do with my main, but I’d hate truly permanent consequences, of the kind that forever prevent me from finishing my ambition, or otherwise lock me out of other interesting things to do in the future.[/quote]
If you want to experience it properly, it’s best done on a main. That feeling when you go &quotI should sell my soul to the… oh, right, i gave that up to seek the name&quot, or &quothell, i only have 4 cards in my hand, now.&quot, or &quotWait- doesn’t that mean any other seeker can take my prize tokens for a single searing enigma?&quot or even, &quotI sold my soul in the hallowmas event and now i don’t dare enter the quarter.&quot

However, most of the truly debilitating- rather than merely disadvantageous- required active effort or taking the cheap road:

The torment destiny is one of many ways to get saint destin’s candle- well, three- one which costs all your society connections, notability 7, and all your waves, one which costs huge amounts of stats for both you and whoever sent it to you (To be specific- one player went from 170ish to 100s.), and by choosing the torment destiny. Not that big of a deal, it only costs you a permanant- until you spend fate to change your destiny- 3 levels from each stat. Still, it is a persistent handicap, where the others can be easily mended.

The grand hunt on you steals all items, all money, zeroes connected hell, and the following items:

• souls[/li][li]nevercold brass sliver[/li][li]amanita sherry[/li][li]brilliant souls[/li][li]muscaria brandy[/li][li]coruscating soul[/li][li]bright brass skull[/li][li]reported location of a one-time prince of hell[/li][li]cantigaster venom [fate-locked][/li][li]ray drenched cinder[/li][li]dreadful surmise[/li][li]intriguer’s compendium

It also, on a more positive note, returns your soul, and gives you a generously reasonable nightmares and wounds level: only Lv. 15 of each

However, the only way to get this is to deliberately sell the devils a stained soul- and most of them can tell, and won’t take it. Last time, the only known way was to sell it at hallowmas- or at least that’s the theory. In short, any seeker of the name either can’t or shouldn’t sell their soul.

I can’t think of other major consequences that last and lock you out of content.

If I’m remembering right, changing your destiny away from Torment removes the candle. The Amanuensis option now also needs Notability 12 rather than 7.

If I’m remembering right, changing your destiny away from Torment removes the candle. The Amanuensis option now also needs Notability 12 rather than 7.[/quote]
Right- I’m running off of the old info, and i make no promises it’s acurate, just that it once was. I’m pretty sure this tag applies to all seekers of the name.

I want an option to “Eat the Amanuensis”. I’m just imagining my character opening his mouth super wide and devouring the guy in a single bite.

Well, he is described as scuttling away like a crab. Crabs are edible, why not Amanuenses? ;)

[quote=Grenem]The grand hunt on you steals all items, all money, zeroes connected hell, and the following items: […]

• coruscating soul[/li][li]reported location of a one-time prince of hell[/li][li]cantigaster venom [fate-locked]!!![/li][li]ray drenched cinder[/li][li]dreadful surmise[/li][li]intriguer’s compendium

That’s just insane!!

I expect the loss of Fate-bought items is one of the things that will be &quottoned down&quot (=removed) in the new version…

At the time, the other items were also basically impossible to acquire elsewhere, I believe. Flavorfully that’s the devils taking back what they paid you for your soul, since those are the only things you could have sold it for while stained in the first place.

Actually, I’m not sure the story was fate locked the first time around, either, so the flavor made sense at that.
edited by Grenem on 6/7/2016