A question of Profession..

I find myself reaching the point where I think deciding upon a higher profession would be a good choice for me. I have narrowed it down to two choices; The Trickster-Conjurer-Crooked Cross path, and the Campaigner-Mystic-Glassman path. Does anyone have any recommendations, advice, or information to offer? Thanks!

Roleplaying-wise anything goes. Find the profession that you feel best for your character
Echo-wise, they have almost the same value in weekly payments
Item-wise, the Midnighter and the Glassman have powerful items for their respective slots
MW and social action wise: Crooked-Cross, Midnighter, and Correspondents have some good MW gains from the &quotThe Tower of Eyes&quot card.

[quote=Pyrodinium]Roleplaying-wise anything goes. Find the profession that you feel best for your character
Echo-wise, they have almost the same value in weekly payments
Item-wise, the Midnighter and the Glassman have powerful items for their respective slots
MW and social action wise: Crooked-Cross, Midnighter, and Correspondents have some good MW gains from the &quotThe Tower of Eyes&quot card.[/quote]
Yeah, that is the thing, I could see my character doing either role. I think a major question for me is what the higher tier professions in each path actually -do-. For example, the Crooked-Cross seems rather tied to Hell, to some degree. Seems to bounce between being an extremely esoteric speaker sort, and a Hell-priest. The Glassman is involved in Parabola, but I don’t know what they do there.

These snippets may elucidate their roles a little further:

“The Crooked-Cross is a tempter. He invites the ignorant to knowledge, and opposes any monopoly on morality. He tests the boundaries between right and wrong. He has parted a priest and his faith, convincing the priest to deface the sign of his God.”

“Once a week you receive an impeccably wrapped parcel, sharply folded and with a precise knot in the string. Inside are materials to add a little bite to your missionary work, and a little tipple, because there’s no good reason religion has to be done sober.”

Glassman:

“The Glassman changes course of events with truth and lies, practices art which the Gallery of Serpents was made, ventured into the Marches beyond the sight of all glass, and uncovered the source of the Writhing River. She brings treasures back through the mirror.”

“The lands behind the glass have been explored - unknowingly - by poets, fools and visionaries for centuries. Each week another bundle of their texts arrives, stamped with the seal of the Ministry for Public Decency. Accompanying them are black candles, good for seeing without being seen. Your rooms are dark, the hour late, but the mirror is full of glorious sunlight.”

Now myself, I think I had, briefly, a dangerous profession, but I can’t remember…

Now I’ve worked myself up to Midnighter, but as I spent fate and got a very nice home comfort I’m thinking I want to change TOO.

Thing is, I think I want to be a tier 5 beyond the midnighter before going somewhere else…

But if I was going to change now, I’d change to glassman.

Lets face it, you want the item from it to be at least slightly useful… and we’ve already seen that there’s something the glassmen will be able to do that nobody else can.

@Lady Tami: They’ll have to change that text for the Glassman, methinks, since it appears they have retired those candles.

– Mal

What is that?

What is that?[/quote]

Parabolan Basecamp

What is that?[/quote]

Parabolan Basecamp[/quote]

Dat dream quality… Will require 2-3 years to build up, if not more

[quote=malthaussen]@Lady Tami: They’ll have to change that text for the Glassman, methinks, since it appears they have retired those candles.

– Mal[/quote]

Different candles - Glassmen get Mourning Candles not Anti-candles.

I have decided to go for the Trickster path. Thanks for the advice, people!

For me, the choice of Watcher over Trickster had to do with the choice of Watchfulness over Persuasiveness as a “secondary” stat, as well as a falling-out with Hell. The Embassy is still an occasional client, but St. Joshua does not demand fealty.

All of the professions are abstract enough that you have a bit of wiggle room. A Crooked-Cross might be someone working on behalf of the Brass Embassy, but they might also simply be an agent of chaos and change challenging accepted moral structures. A Glassman could be working for either of the factions in Parabola, or a good old-fashioned imperialist or demagogue looking to establish a colony. About the only one that seems to suggest a specific allegiance is the Licentiate; someone is updating the list, after all, and they pay you in Bazaar Permits…
edited by Kaigen on 12/8/2015