A Question About Ships

I become a PoSI today, and I have immediately begun the process of buying a ship. However, once I reached the part for picking ships, a small question arose in my mind: Are all ships suited for travelling in the Zee? I know this is quite a stupid question, but it seemed weird to me that a ship such as a yacht could travel to Polythreme. I’m sorry if the answer is painfully obvious.

Thanks in advance.

You can go everywhere with all the ships! All ships have special cards and special options on normal zee cards, but they don’t affect where you can and cannot go. :)

Thank you! :D

That said, as all ships can travel anywhere, as a new POSI you may prefer to first buy the Tramp Steamer before venturing into one of the more expensive ships. The grinds for the zubmarine and yacht are quite lengthy.

It’s worth nothing that, when we’re talking about a yacht, we’re not talking about a small sailing vessel to fit a couple of people. We’re talking very large motor-yachts, with full crews, of the kind that - though built for private pleasure-sailing - were often sold on for commercial or even military use during their lifetimes. See this interesting record, including scans of an original catalogue.

That makes my pleasure yacht even more awesome.

I’ve already made it to the final step, though. I had all the things needed + Connected: Masters 3 so I got past the previous parts pretty quickly. As for the final part, I can find most of the requirements easily within a month, however getting Comprehensive Bribes will be a problem. My only fear is that I’ll fail the challenge, since this would be a terrible setback. I will most probably fail on my first attempt, but I think I’ll just go for the Tramp Steamer if I fail another time.

Woah, that puts a new perspective on things. The catalogue is quite interesting.

It does, doesn’t it?

Amusingly enough, one of the best sources for Romantic Notions for Comprehensive Bribes is over the Zee. Here’s a bit more on it from when I was in this spot:
Http://community.failbettergames.com/topic21091-non-persuasive-honey-or-romantic-notions.aspx

[quote=Parelle]Amusingly enough, one of the best sources for Romantic Notions for Comprehensive Bribes is over the Zee. Here’s a bit more on it from when I was in this spot:
Http://community.failbettergames.com/topic21091-non-persuasive-honey-or-romantic-notions.aspx[/quote]

Oh. Oh dear. You can also get some from the Tale of the Fidgeting Writer, it seems.

I usually get my bribes from the fidgeting writer, yeah. I don’t think it’s remotely close to the fastest way, but it’s certainly profitable.

I think you should just get whatever ship you like the most. The way I see it, the most awesome one by far is the Zubmarine.

There is a mechanical difference between the ships, just so you are aware. If you are interested in increasing your Notability, the Majestic Pleasure Yacht will increase your BDR (combined Bizarre - Dreaded - Respectable) score by +2 adverse to +1 for the Zub. This will make it easier for you to increase your Notability each time because you don’t need as many levels of Making Waves.

The ships also have different cards and options at zee. The tramp steamer has none, the swift clipper has several good for fast travel, the zub has a couple which reduce troubled waters alongside progressing, and the yacht has a few non-noteworthy things.

Also on average it’ll take five attempts of the challenge to get the yacht.

Go near Polythreme and there’s a card where another ship tries to hit on your yacht. So clearly the yacht is the most sexy of the ships.

“on average it’ll take five attempts of the challenge to get the yacht”

“on average”

“five attempts”

kill me.

It is less painful if you gamble several times in a row instead.

Gamble?

unless you want to spend fate, the yacht costs a small fortune to try to get, and you have to pass a luck check, too. i mean, you lose less on failure than on success, but you lose quite a bit on failure as well.

unless you want to spend fate, the yacht costs a small fortune to try to get, and you have to pass a luck check, too. i mean, you lose less on failure than on success, but you lose quite a bit on failure as well.[/quote]

Oh, I already know about that. I was confused because he spoke of it like it was a different option.

unless you want to spend fate, the yacht costs a small fortune to try to get, and you have to pass a luck check, too. i mean, you lose less on failure than on success, but you lose quite a bit on failure as well.[/quote]

Oh, I already know about that. I was confused because he spoke of it like it was a different option.[/quote]
He meant stockpile enough for, say, five bets. if you win, good, if you lose… it’s all the more frustrating.

I disagree with his suggestion, but that’s what he meant.