A... professional question.

@Grenem: but a Notary has the same salary, and think of the chaos you could create with a few liberties taken in legal documents.

– Mal

Well, given I first create the character here, see where it takes me and create a backstory on the run, Maria became an enforcer because 5 favors are easy to come by in an early stage. Then I came up she might have run due to both stealing and revolting against the Tsar in Warsaw.[li]

Rysiek was more or less intended as an detective. He likely won’t progress past Watcher, since it doesn’t fit to a cop character. Maybe a stalker when I get the Dock conections, since it can be still interpretet as a cop (and earns better than a watcher, I hope). A notary would be a funny choice though. The most boring route… just how do I become a notary?[/li][li]
edited by Rysiek on 12/13/2015

I am a Midnighter. In my mentally created though unused backstory, that’s in part because I’m not from London proper but from one of the colonies. So I have a great interest in the Great Game (also, because I immensely approve of a Shrine to St Joshua as a concept). I also dislike relations with Devils, which as somewhat limits those option.

To some extent I’ve been on the path all game - I’ve only gone straight up this profession path, and never intended any other.
Mechanically, it’s a great choice: a point of BDR in a slot otherwise just unavailable, freeing up other slots for other excellent options. Favors in High Places are one the easiest of the professional rewards to use, particularly for making waves. The only other profession I see tempting me is Correspondent, but I’ll be a long while before that.

@Rysieck: Notary is a Tier 4 profession, but only takes 3 MW. It unlocks at 150 Persuasive and pays 70 Echoes cash each week. As with doctor, it has no professional object. Essentially, it is the Lawyer, as opposed to the Doctor.

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 12/13/2015

I am a Glassman, but I was not always so. Started as a Pickpocket in a world of Neathy crime, and quickly advanced to Enforcer, but that profession didn’t quite fit my ambitions. I wanted a position that would grant me cannon fodder, and allow me to advance the glorious plans of my anti-celestial patron. Imagine my joy when I became a Campaigner (officially under the Church’s wing, unofficially… well…) and received some Feckless Supporters! Advancement into a Mystic seemed like the logical choice, since that allowed my minions to become a Circle of Acolytes. It saddened me when it finally came to shedding my old skin. But alas, it seems the path to greatness is a lonely one. I lost my Acolytes when I saw through the mirrors and became a Glassman - but I don’t mourn. Greater and far more terrible things await.

And what now? I sure hope we get even more Profession tiers in the future. Or a career path that will allow my character to become even more nefarious…

[quote=malthaussen]@Rysieck: Notary is a Tier 4 profession, but only takes 3 MW. It unlocks at 150 Persuasive and pays 70 Echoes cash each week. As with doctor, it has no professional object. Essentially, it is the Lawyer, as opposed to the Doctor.

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 12/13/2015[/quote]
Looks like I found my job for the FAR future. Or I am going to create Leviathan Smith (since Phoenix Wright would be too obvious)

[li]

Lord Hoot began as a writer of various sorts - journalist, author. But his fascination with the world behind mirrors led him to renounce this professional line and become a Glassman. It’s a profession he practices only in the privacy of his own home, mind.

[quote=malthaussen]@Rysieck: Notary is a Tier 4 profession, but only takes 3 MW. It unlocks at 150 Persuasive and pays 70 Echoes cash each week. As with doctor, it has no professional object. Essentially, it is the Lawyer, as opposed to the Doctor.

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 12/13/2015[/quote]
3 notability, not MW.

I would consider being a notary, but I don’t want to have to deal with the level of paperwork. I’ve had people jump into the zee, because that’s the only method of suicide that the masters will actually consider valid for sick days, save cantigaster venom, which is… really expensive.

Plus, any errors come out of my paycheck.

Edith is an Author, which really suits her. She’s a social climber who really wants to be in good graces with society, which she will achieve with her penetrating and erudite prose. Also, she likes to hang with the wrong crowd in Veilgarden, but she keeps that on the quiet when she’s at the Palace. Though there was that unfortunate business with the symphony… (I may advance her to Correspondent, but we’ll see.)

Jack has just finished all the training professions. He’s a dangerous young man, and is hunting the Vake, so he will become a rat-catcher, and progress up to monster hunter. He was mostly created for this career path/ambition.

Myrto, my main, is much more complicated. They came to the Neath as a spy from the surface, spent some time as a Watcher, and spent a long time as a Murderer. They’re back to working as a Watcher again, though, while I think of what will work best for their character for the long term. I think that while Myrto came to the Neath as a spy, they’ve become at home here, and are now obsessed with the mysteries of the Neath (having recently achieved Scholar of the Correspondence 10). So, perhaps Glassman is in Myrto’s future.

I’m with Sir Fred on this one. I identify very hard with writing and writers, so it was a natural for me to go from Journalist to Author to Correspondent: that’s what I did with my main character. I was planning to do much the same with my alt, but then I realized that the rewards of being a Correspondent were not quite as tempting as I’d hoped, and that Authors get useful rewards AND can help others Make Waves. :-)

Saevitia started with the Watchful profession, but when it came time to choose a &quotjob&quot, she went exactly where you’d expect for someone who was romancing the deviless from the get-go: Trickster. Got all the way up to Crooked-Cross and then… got a bit bored with it, honestly. She wasn’t corrupting salons, she was already living in the Brass Embassy, and her real work involved pushing the bounds of science; the occasional trading in souls and/or sowing chaos as opportunity rose was a casual hobby. She’d do that stuff anyway – to include messing with the church and corrupting the faith of others – so why not have her profession reflect her research?

A few lucky draws later, she was a Glassman. As far as I’m concerned – and her RP backstory, etc., agrees – she’s still sufficiently connected with the Embassy to be a Crooked-Cross in good standing. (Her current thread in the RP forum actually has some not-so-subtle hints of that, although the vast majority of the sequence is written pseudonymously.) She is researching the intersection of mirrors and reality, trying to determine what can cause the former to warp the latter, or become a door to another reality entirely. It’s rough work, but she’s dedicated. Especially since she’s rarely sufficiently sober to think her choice of research is a bad idea.