A new Machine has Dawned IRL

It seems that the researchers in Germany have developed a means of producing and also controlling Helium plasma. The controlling part is actually the innovation since the longer one can control or contain the plasma, the longer time you can harvest energy off of it.

Soon we might be able to harness power that is equal to THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN!

I wonder what kind of weapons can be made with it.

– Mal

[quote=malthaussen]I wonder what kind of weapons can be made with it.

– Mal[/quote]

It might provide enough juice to power up even stronger railguns. The railgun tech can be used as weapons that may outclass explosive ones or be used to improve space travel.

The only problem is this: The plasma appears to be blue and not reddish orange like The Dawn Machine. Maybe it generates artificial moonlight? THE MOON THE MOON THE MOON THE MOON THE MOON!

– Mal[/quote]

Aha! Almost no one I know realizes that unlimited power means more powerful weaponry… which is why I support a limited use of power IRL

– Mal[/quote]

Mal!! That is awful!

I would really hope potentially unlimited green energy would help to stop to conflict, not create more!

But seeing as you mentioned it -I vote Plasma Cannons! Frickin’ huge Plasma Cannons! Yay for Science! :D
edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 12/14/2015

Awful, yeah. Cynical, undoubtably. Realistic? Indubitably.
I have a low opinion of my fellow man, especially when organized into governments, and we know munitions companies are always looking for more loot.

– Mal

Well the article’s headline said that it was a Revolutionary nuclear fusion machine.

LoTN confirmed!

[quote=Pyrodinium][quote=malthaussen]I wonder what kind of weapons can be made with it.

– Mal[/quote]

It might provide enough juice to power up even stronger railguns. The railgun tech can be used as weapons that may outclass explosive ones or be used to improve space travel.[/quote]

all i can think of is hot burning plasma guns like in DOOM and sci-fi games. though i seriously hope they don’t weaponise it. nuclear fission is already destructive(and very dirty compared to fusion ) enough.
edited by rebelanarch-82 on 12/25/2015

Can’t be done, as far as I know. I asked a fusion scientist about this recently, for a short story I’m working on, whether you could use magnetically-contained fusion to make the equivalent of a nuclear weapon. He said you might be able to use inertial fusion systems in a weapon, but that there are fundamental physical limits on the power density of magnetic fusion that make it impossible to weaponize.

Moonlight is just weak sunlight!!!

Can’t be done, as far as I know. I asked a fusion scientist about this recently, for a short story I’m working on, whether you could use magnetically-contained fusion to make the equivalent of a nuclear weapon. He said you might be able to use inertial fusion systems in a weapon, but that there are fundamental physical limits on the power density of magnetic fusion that make it impossible to weaponize.[/quote]
Pretty sure you can, at the very least, make a better object to slam your enemies heads into than a wall. sure, there’s no really potent uses, but i’m sure there’s something- even if it is completely missing not only the point, but the entire rosebush!
edited by Grenem on 12/26/2015