A fledgling hedonist has lost her way...

Greeting fellow Fallen Londoners, I’ve been gallivanting about Veilgarden for a few days now, which has been quite fun. However now that I’ve set my sights on entering high society I’m having a spot of trouble deciding what to do with myself at any given moment. My initial explorations into the process have been causing scandal to build around me at an alarming rate, and my attempts to curry favor with the Melancholy Curate has mostly just left me with giant piles of candles that I’m not sure if I want or need.

My current idea is to perhaps just start taking trips to Ladybones Road, to see more of London and branch out my talents a bit while my scandal dies down. Though I’ve also been considering working towards just collecting echoes. I’m not sure which would be best, or even what I’d buy with them if I went the second route, or if either’s the best way to spend my time, I definitely feel as though there is not much entertainment to be had with my current endeavors.

Also I had some miscellaneous questions, such as is fate obtainable through any gameplay actions? If I do get some fate, what are some recommendations for how to use it? The long lost daughter story sounded interesting to me as it sounded like it likes to pop up throughout the game, as well as a Peculiar Personal Enhancement (what self-respecting hedonist wouldn’t appreciate a second tongue?), I’m more interested in extra fun and stories than any sort of mechanical advantage. What is the best way for me to make echoes at this point? (My persuade is 50, my other skills are around 10ish) I’ve been using my spare energy when I’m too busy to play much to offer my condolences to the abiding wife, which has given me 430 romantic notions, which I’ve valued at half a echo per energy (the best I’ve found). Though I’m thinking I’ll just use them to buy the townhouse instead of sell them at this point.

Have you gained entry to the palace yet? That’s where your persuasive career will ultimately lead. It’s a profitable place, at least at lower levels.

As for fate, no, it’s not really obtainable for free. You get a few free points here are there, but that’s mostly just one time events, and you get too little to do much beyond play one or two of the cheap 3 fate storylines. To really use fate, you’ll have to spend money.

Fate is best spent buying fan-favorite stories, which are usually built out adventures filled with interesting lore, or picking up a few mechanically useful things that are otherwise locked off, like breeding beasts in the Labyrinth of Tigers. Some stories are particularly worth it, and come with both good plots/built out gameplay and lasting mechanical advantages.

One of my favorite stories so far is The Gift, which I recommend playing after you’ve drawn cards to explore the palace cellars a few times, and want to learn more about what’s going on down there.

If you’re having difficulties in one area, definitely consider visiting other places and following the stories there. You will eventually need all of your stats around 100 to become a Person of Some Importance.

I haven’t opened up the route to the palace yet, I have 1,000 of the cheap wine for it but not the 400 of the more expensive stuff, I haven’t found a good place to collect it yet. I didn’t put too much effort into it though, I assumed my skills were too low for such a place considering I’m still struggling in Veilgarden.

Don’t worry about opening up routes–with the exception of Mahogany Hall, you gain access to everywhere for free in the process of pursuing the &quotmaking your name&quot storylines.

I actually just got the opportunity card to get a free trip to the palace but when I got there to look around I couldn’t really do anything. =(

If you continue progressing A Name Signed with a Flourish, you’ll gain access and unlock much of the content there. Plus of course it will give you a hefty boost to Persuasive.

THERE IS BUT ONE WAY

You can take the time and explore more of London. There’s plenty of text in the other locations as well, plenty of cool things to do. Each of the four stats has a “Making Your Name…” sequence associated with it, which takes you through a few areas if you follow it.

Don’t worry about opening up routes–with the exception of Mahogany Hall, you gain access to everywhere for free in the process of pursuing the &quotmaking your name&quot storylines.[/quote]
Really? I thought you unlocked Mahogany Hall through the Bats and Cats storyline in the Flit.

Don’t worry about opening up routes–with the exception of Mahogany Hall, you gain access to everywhere for free in the process of pursuing the &quotmaking your name&quot storylines.[/quote]
Really? I thought you unlocked Mahogany Hall through the Bats and Cats storyline in the Flit.[/quote]

That one is an exception, you need to unlock mahogany hall through your lodging.

Really? I thought you unlocked Mahogany Hall through the Bats and Cats storyline in the Flit.[/quote]
You unlock the possibility to do stuff there once unlocked, but you still need to buy all that stuff to actually get the Route.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I just completed my first investigation in Ladybones Road, and have purchased a handsome townhouse, so things feel like they’re progressing again.