A few questions about etiquette from a newcomer

Greetings, delicious friends.

I began playing Sunless Sea a few months after it came out; I began playing Fallen London last spring.

I ground my way to PoSI status and am now enjoying saving up for various special items; a vehicle, club membership, etc. However, I’m finding myself more and more interested in experiencing the social aspects of the game. I sent some social invitations with notes to people who happened to be logged on when I badly needed help with menace reduction, but I’m not sure how you go about forming a relationship where you collaborate about mutual needs and exploit beneficial activities together. I’m also interested in conducting such business in-character.

I read all of the policies I could find, and it appears that spoilers, particularly of a Fate-locked nature, are of course off limits. However, I’m interested in expressing some of my theories about the game as theories of my character. For example, Gerald has never been killed in the Neath - he’s not a coward, but he’s obsessively cautious and solitary. He has heard rumors that a boat ride will mean never returning to the Surface, but he strongly suspects that he already can’t go back, that nobody can.

Nobody but his Aunt ever contacted him down here, and he doesn’t know what his daughter looks like anymore. He had friends up there who would’ve given anything for what he has now - why no letters seeking help? And people pay more for sunlight than gold in the Neath. That doesn’t make sense, if any of us have access to the real thing. He doesn’t urgently want to return - he had a terrible life on the Surface, but is doing much better in the Neath - but in between the revels, the salons and the prayers to St Joshua, he wonders if &quotPrisoner’s Honey&quot in fact refers to everybody down here, including him. He doesn’t talk about these concerns often - he mentioned them to a few people who were invariably confused, alarmed or offended. For now, he thinks he’s everything he wanted to be on the Surface - self-reliant, upwardly mobile and a slave to no one. Or is he?

Ideally, I’d like to befriend people above, below and around my own level and spend some portions of my actions engaging in mutually beneficial actions - whether each side wants advantages, waves, CPs or just good old profit. If I could conduct such business in character, that would be ideal.

I’ve found that active players rarely return a message, but are reasonably likely to accept a solitary invitation. Is there a straightforward way to meet likeminded players?

As a curious newbie of no particular importance, I’d love to expand my in-character acquaintances, and 23 is always up for stimulating conversation on the nature of life in the Neath. (13 is not so good for conversation, but he’s been to the Slow Boat and could probably be induced to provide some insight.)

If you like roleplay, consider snubbing players with the description &quotAnother new face in Fallen London! How intriguing!&quot and focus on those with an description.

If their journal includes personal feelings attached to regular entries (even something as simple as &quotOh Crap&quot as a title to meeting a Spider-Council for example), they are very probably willing to roleplay.

There are no rules, really. Just keep doing what you think will work. If you want more Acquaintances, start with an invitation to something terribly intellectual or potentially dangerous or to Caligula’s. Add a short role-playing message. If they respond, send your calling card. Keep doing that, but remember that there are players behind the characters, and often enough in front. Some just don’t want to associate with low-&quotpower&quot folks, others don’t know roleplay from Fungal Crackers, still others are too busy or distracted or don’t have a lot of opportunities to play Fallen London so they’d rather not spend Actions on social. But keep knocking on doors and a few will open eventually. You probably don’t need numerous contacts because the game, regrettably, has few or no social actions for several people to participate at once, it’s all tête-à-tête, and you would have to spend an inordinate number of Actions on social with a crowd.

Obviously choose addressees with more or less normal names, like mine or Estelle’s here. They will probably be more inclined to roleplay than those whose characters are called after their e-mails. But exceptions are possible. Once you have a few Acquaintances, keep being nice to them - nurse their wounds, invite them, treat them to dinners… If you really want to roleplay, you should not hesitate to excuse yourself from Acquaintances who respond to your invitations, invite you back but don’t speak in character. You might have to go through quite a lot of people before you form the company you desire. Of course, search the forums for role-players.

[quote=Gerald Edgerton]Greetings, delicious friends.

I began playing Sunless Sea a few months after it came out; I began playing Fallen London last spring.

I ground my way to PoSI status and am now enjoying saving up for various special items; a vehicle, club membership, etc. However, I’m finding myself more and more interested in experiencing the social aspects of the game. I sent some social invitations with notes to people who happened to be logged on when I badly needed help with menace reduction, but I’m not sure how you go about forming a relationship where you collaborate about mutual needs and exploit beneficial activities together. I’m also interested in conducting such business in-character.

I read all of the policies I could find, and it appears that spoilers, particularly of a Fate-locked nature, are of course off limits. However, I’m interested in expressing some of my theories about the game as theories of my character. For example, Gerald has never been killed in the Neath - he’s not a coward, but he’s obsessively cautious and solitary. He has heard rumors that a boat ride will mean never returning to the Surface, but he strongly suspects that he already can’t go back, that nobody can.

Nobody but his Aunt ever contacted him down here, and he doesn’t know what his daughter looks like anymore. He had friends up there who would’ve given anything for what he has now - why no letters seeking help? And people pay more for sunlight than gold in the Neath. That doesn’t make sense, if any of us have access to the real thing. He doesn’t urgently want to return - he had a terrible life on the Surface, but is doing much better in the Neath - but in between the revels, the salons and the prayers to St Joshua, he wonders if &quotPrisoner’s Honey&quot in fact refers to everybody down here, including him. He doesn’t talk about these concerns often - he mentioned them to a few people who were invariably confused, alarmed or offended. For now, he thinks he’s everything he wanted to be on the Surface - self-reliant, upwardly mobile and a slave to no one. Or is he?

Ideally, I’d like to befriend people above, below and around my own level and spend some portions of my actions engaging in mutually beneficial actions - whether each side wants advantages, waves, CPs or just good old profit. If I could conduct such business in character, that would be ideal.

I’ve found that active players rarely return a message, but are reasonably likely to accept a solitary invitation. Is there a straightforward way to meet likeminded players?[/quote]

Hello, Gerald. How about a chess battle or two over the conversation on the Neath’s neathes? Feel free to drop by. My profile is below.

P.S.

And &quotPrisoner’s Honey&quot does refer almost to everbody down here. In a philosophical sort of referring.

P.P.S.

And even more so in its practical and a very delightful sort of referring:) Ask any Veilgarden honey-addict:)
edited by mmk on 7/19/2015

Lawrence adores conversation of a certain literary tone, as well as regular chatting, he supposes.

If you would like to fall down the gyre of references, particularly of modernist poetry, especially Eliot within such messages, he would be your firmest of friends.

That goes for anyone looking to roleplay, as well!

[quote=Von Prabik]There are no rules, really. Just keep doing what you think will work. If you want more Acquaintances, start with an invitation to something terribly intellectual or potentially dangerous or to Caligula’s. Add a short role-playing message. If they respond, send your calling card. Keep doing that, but remember that there are players behind the characters, and often enough in front. Some just don’t want to associate with low-&quotpower&quot folks, others don’t know roleplay from Fungal Crackers, still others are too busy or distracted or don’t have a lot of opportunities to play Fallen London so they’d rather not spend Actions on social. But keep knocking on doors and a few will open eventually. You probably don’t need numerous contacts because the game, regrettably, has few or no social actions for several people to participate at once, it’s all tête-à-tête, and you would have to spend an inordinate number of Actions on social with a crowd.

Obviously choose addressees with more or less normal names, like mine or Estelle’s here. They will probably be more inclined to roleplay than those whose characters are called after their e-mails. But exceptions are possible. Once you have a few Acquaintances, keep being nice to them - nurse their wounds, invite them, treat them to dinners… If you really want to roleplay, you should not hesitate to excuse yourself from Acquaintances who respond to your invitations, invite you back but don’t speak in character. You might have to go through quite a lot of people before you form the company you desire. Of course, search the forums for role-players.[/quote]

I agree with most of what you say, M. Von Prabik. I do have one exception. Fallen London was originally accessible only through Twitter, and some characters still retain their Twitter handles as a character name as a result; my character, cathyr19355, is one of those.

Frankly, I like making acquaintances with newer players. They’re more likely to engage in social actions. A lot of end game players have goals they’re trying to achieve and don’t ant to waste an action on little old me.
Plus newer players are likely to keep playing for at least a month or so. Older players drop out at a moment’s notice and might never respond to your request.

Frankly, I like making acquaintances with newer players. They’re more likely to engage in social actions. A lot of end game players have goals they’re trying to achieve and don’t ant to waste an action on little old me.[/quote]
I agree, plus it lets me feel helpful if I can assist with queries & advice (as well as menace reduction.)
The way I see it, if they go their own way and we don’t talk for a while that’s all well and good - but if I’ve helped make this game more enjoyable for someone and they stick around, then so much the better. ^_^

Indeed, I too have enjoyed the company of many a soul here, and am all to willing to associate with others in an attempt to make things mroe enjoyable for all concerned.

[color=#009900]Here are some things you shouldn’t do. All of these things have happened (they’re absolutely the exception: our community is very polite and we’ve had less than half a dozen abuse complaints since FL went live).[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color]
[color=#009900]1. Ask someone for their credit card details, even if it’s just a joke about free gifts[/color]
[color=#009900]2. Make an ill-advised gag about ‘rumours about me and my mistreatment of the scullery maid’[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]3. Call your character ‘PussyDestroyer69’ or ‘pigdogfucker’[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]4. [/color][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]in mid-cyber, a[/color][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]ccidentally send a steamy IC message to a completely different person.[/color]

[color=#009900]Addendum:[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/pussycatdisliker[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/piganddogarehappyfriends[/color]

And I had to put that little so-and-so on the blasted Overgoat list!
I knew there was something shady about that fella!

And I had to put that little so-and-so on the blasted Overgoat list!
I knew there was something shady about that fella![/quote]

Yes. I remember Mr. Pig… . He was one of the people who was very involved in the original version of Knife & Candle–That’s where I encountered him.

Why would anybody want to destroy a pussy? seems rather counterproductive to me…

Enough of that nonsense for now, in response to the new fellow looking for chums, i can make myself available, time is limited however as i am constantly been stabbed, chased by assassins, escaping wanton harlots, enraged husbands etc. If im not playing dice with the Boatman, or stuck in Newgate, i’m generally in the madhouse.

I really must analyse why i have this terrible existence down here… Anyways, im rambling. Come over after midnight so you are not seen, better yet to meet in public, you may survive longer.

Me, as loud as possible: “I’M ALWAYS A HARLOT FOR ROLEPLAY”

Fixed it for you.

I only ever make friends, and seek those who live in the Neath as religiously as I. Currently my acquaintances are becomingly terrifyingly full, but there are some spots remaining. Come, leave a card, let me know what you offer…except for those of you who already have my eye, who I wait each day for that elusive Card, too reticent to send it myself. For now.

This lot is pretty fond of roleplaying, so, uh. There’s a thing.

I’m open for roleplaying as well, if you like, although my character’s gone to absurd lengths to preserve their anonymity. They’re still a criminal overlord, but, y’know. Most people don’t know that they’re in charge. Or that they exist.

So, um. It might be hard to contact them plausibly, is what I’m saying.

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]Here are some things you shouldn’t do. All of these things have happened (they’re absolutely the exception: our community is very polite and we’ve had less than half a dozen abuse complaints since FL went live).[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color]
[color=#009900]1. Ask someone for their credit card details, even if it’s just a joke about free gifts[/color]
[color=#009900]2. Make an ill-advised gag about ‘rumours about me and my mistreatment of the scullery maid’[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]3. Call your character ‘PussyDestroyer69’ or ‘pigdogfucker’[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]4. [/color][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]in mid-cyber, a[/color][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]ccidentally send a steamy IC message to a completely different person.[/color][/quote]

But would the Victorian equivalent of a credit card scam be permitted?

I hope whoever was involved in 4 had their scandal set to ridiculously high levels and had to spend a month in the tomb colonies.