A Disgraceful Spectacle?

I just drew the Disgraceful Spectacle card, which gives a Headful of Picaresque Tales/Blue and Shining Stone again, the first time having been almost a year and a half ago.
I thought it was a one-time-only thing, but apparently it’s recurring?

It locks if you have any of the resulting items.

And unlocks if you sell the item - which is why you may have seen it again.

Ah, so it’s safe to sell my Headful of Picaresque Tales? I’d been afraid to do so as I thought I would not get it back.

Grazi.

It’s safe to sell them, but the card itself is rare- i.e. for every 10 times you’d get, say, the urchin faction card, or for every 5 times you’d get the wines->airag card, you’d get 1 copy of this card. so if you sell it, you’ll need to wait a while to get it back.

Being who I am, I’m obliged to point out that while the objects both sell for the same amount, the Snatch a stone option is slightly better because it doesn’t cost you 5 pennies or drop you off in Wolfstack the way that Ask why he is thus adorned does. Of course, it does mean you have to act like a bit of a jerk and you’ll miss out on the florid and confusing text you get from taking him out boozing.

Also, if you need Memories of Distant Shores, you can keep clicking that first storylet and it’ll give you one and then loop you back to the card. Just make sure not to perhaps-not out of the card after that but but before choosing one of the other options, or it’ll go away.

Has anyone tested this post-change? I mean, they said they made the night on the town thing only work once because it wouldn’t discard when you ran out of actions otherwise, so it might not discard any more. I know some of the card mechanics have changed.

[quote=Grenem]
Has anyone tested this post-change? I mean, they said they made the night on the town thing only work once because it wouldn’t discard when you ran out of actions otherwise, so it might not discard any more. I know some of the card mechanics have changed.[/quote]

Was not aware of this. Scratch that then! Guess Breakwater House is your place for slow but unlimited Memories of Distant Shores then.

I queried whether the unlimited access to the goodies at the house was a bug and got back the reply “enjoy!”.

[quote=aegisaglow][quote=Grenem]
Has anyone tested this post-change? I mean, they said they made the night on the town thing only work once because it wouldn’t discard when you ran out of actions otherwise, so it might not discard any more. I know some of the card mechanics have changed.[/quote]

Was not aware of this. Scratch that then! Guess Breakwater House is your place for slow but unlimited Memories of Distant Shores then.[/quote]
Or it might work the other way. ceaseless access to a .5 epa card isn’t exactly game-breaking unless it gives rare .5 echo items. Hence why i’m wondering if anyone tested this. I’ll do it next time I draw the card, I guess.

I used to make my echoes in the early game with this card. Oh, how many tinctures I’ve guzzled down thanks to it!

I’d expect it would still loop back to the card. The gambling den option was patched because among things there was no reason, story-wise, to keep partying over and over. Here the idea is you’re asking this guy what’s up and can then ask him something else or be a jerk.

The thing I’m wonder if it changed was because the auto-discard on leaving seemed to have stopped working. I was curious if you could now safely leave the card- and it seems like it could really go either way, so idk.

Not all the looping cards have lost their looping capabilities - I’ve used a single Amanuensis card to repeatedly spend my Society connections for Making Waves as recently as the election. The Gambling Den was just a bit too good, I think.

[quote=Grenem][quote=aegisaglow][quote=Grenem]

Was not aware of this. Scratch that then! Guess Breakwater House is your place for slow but unlimited Memories of Distant Shores then.[/quote]
Or it might work the other way. ceaseless access to a .5 epa card isn’t exactly game-breaking unless it gives rare .5 echo items. Hence why i’m wondering if anyone tested this. I’ll do it next time I draw the card, I guess.[/quote]

I used this post-change, and the loop worked (out of curiosity, I used it to get ~100 Memories), but that was months ago at this point, so it could have been altered again in theory. The only real useful result of that is to gain access to cross-conversions on a new character earlier than usual, though.

In the long run grinding 0.5 EPA for Memories is a bad deal - if you want Memories desperately, it is faster to grind for Incendiary Gossip by Labyrinth of Tigers / Talking to Miriam Plenty then side-converting these.

In the long run yes. I just hear people suggest it unironically, and i’m simply wondering if the discard-on-departure still works, or if loop cards just stay in your hand until you get rid of them now? I mean, i thought the discard-on-departure breaking was why you couldn’t loop town nights any more.

Iirc it still works, they just removed the looping from that card.

I had this card a couple of weeks ago and it was still looping. Didn’t try to &quotperhaps not&quot because i read the wiki.

For someone new this access to 0.5 item is great. Labyrinth of Tigers or Mahogany Hall, or any of those advanced grinds take at least weeks if not months to unlock, and this is accessible to everyone, even if rare. First time I got it was only a week or so after I started, and it was a veritable windfall. Not everyone has capped stats and grinds in third-tier locations, you know. :)

And for newer players Headful Of Picaresque Tales has an extra benefit - free visit to Wolfstack, which they might not have unlocked yet.

Well, and not being a jerk is nice too. :)