A bouquet of fresh mushrooms! For your sweetheart!

…Goodness. I’d been seeing it as a rock as well and somehow never questioned, it either. In our defense, there’s stranger things in the Neath than love stories in the form of beribboned chunks of masonry.

I only recently realized the new-ish image for the Scandal menace is not a lady with curly dark hair against a light background, but a woman AND a man’s face to the right. It’s obvious on the enlarged image, but in the sidebar…

I’m sorry, I was unsure of this myself. I’m not a native speaker. It’s a horse’s mouth, then? Which animals have snouts?

Snouts go on pigs. Horses have muzzles.

Muzzles - what a sweet word! Thank you!

I’m sorry, I was unsure of this myself. I’m not a native speaker. It’s a horse’s mouth, then? Which animals have snouts?[/quote]

[li]
Don’t worry, &quotsnout&quot is close enough that your meaning was clear. I believe that was a joke about the thieves’ cache: '[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]&quotUnder the horse’s snout.&quot Do horses even have snouts? You’re not here to teach criminals zoology.'[/color]
http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Seek_a_thieves’_cache

…which is, in fact, when I realized what that xenomorph-ish thing in the picture was supposed to be…

This seems like a good time to mention that when I first saw the Vake’s picture, I thought it was a spider. It took me a few months to realise that it is actually a bat (or something that resembles a bat, at least)

Uh… so what does the Direful Reflection depict? It’s probably one of the creepier artwork here. It looks like an alien to me.

My interpretation is that it’s what someone possessed by a Fingerking looks like in the mirror, or at least the memory of that.

The last few lines of the rare success on A Masque in the Marsh seem to suggest this. And a lot of the other sources and the eventual use of 101 of them imply a strong connection to the snakes.

MY MIND IS BLOWN BY THIS THREAD! Mushrooms instead of masonry, a cat instead of an owl, Mrs Plenty actually has pupils in her eyes! And no menacing Alien snouts? I cannot. even.

But on the Shroud of Little Midnights/Merry Gentleman - how is it not a two factory chimneys with smoke coming out?!

Wait…the Midnight Matriarch ISN’T an owl?
Checks icon in Bazaar Oh…NOW it makes sense why it’s possible to get her from one of those Pass-the-cat packages!

Mischievious Urchin: Owright, 'ere’s the last one!

Put-Upon Urchin: ‘Ey, that ain’t a cat! Sumpin’ wrong with yer eyes, mate?

Mischievious Urchin: Well, I found it hangin’ around the Duchess’s wing lookin’ all high an’ mighty like cats do, and eatin’ a rat like cats do, so I just swept it inter the sack wiv the rest. Just wrap it up and put it in the post!

Put-Upon Urchin: But…But owls’re a completely different shape from cats! Me advanced wrapping technique…it won’t do at all! I’ll have to start over from the beginnin’! All the efficiency, gone!

Mischievious Urchin: You owright there mate? Yer sounding like Mister Pages when 'e gets stolen from.

I’m firmly in the Midnight Owltriarch camp. Intellectually, I know she’s a cat, but that little icon always makes my brain go “owl! that an owl. definite owl.”

Otherwise… I can’t think of any particularly perplexing pictures… certainly, some of the older silhouettes can be a bit baffling - especially when they appear to have been stretched out of proportion when implemented - but they’ve largely been discontinued. Now that I think about it, my mental image of the Merry Gentleman looks nothing like his icon… and what’s with his acquaintance with the giant beak?

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]I’m firmly in the Midnight Owltriarch camp. Intellectually, I know she’s a cat, but that little icon always makes my brain go &quotowl! that an owl. definite owl.&quot

Otherwise… I can’t think of any particularly perplexing pictures… certainly, some of the older silhouettes can be a bit baffling - especially when they appear to have been stretched out of proportion when implemented - but they’ve largely been discontinued. Now that I think about it, my mental image of the Merry Gentleman looks nothing like his icon… and what’s with his acquaintance with the giant beak?[/quote]

Wait… That’s a cat!?!

Yup. A fluffy black cat, its features in shadow, facing toward the viewer, so that its outline looks astonishingly like an owl.

We need to start a Midnight Owltriarch Support and Recovery Club!

Signs in

[quote=navchaa]MY MIND IS BLOWN BY THIS THREAD! Mushrooms instead of masonry, a cat instead of an owl, Mrs Plenty actually has pupils in her eyes! And no menacing Alien snouts? I cannot. even.

But on the Shroud of Little Midnights/Merry Gentleman - how is it not a two factory chimneys with smoke coming out?![/quote]
I really like your summary thus far. The thread to have fun trying to make sense of some of the art in this world. :)

[quote=Kukapetal]OMG, I totally see what you mean about Mrs. Plenty! That’s actually creepier looking than the Prim Baronet’s pic! Speaking of whom, I went to the wiki to see if they had a bigger picture of him so I could solve the mystery of where his pupils are, but nope. He still looks like he’s been possessed by aliens.

I guess now we know what was REALLY going on at the Marsh House :P

And yes, I thought the Midnight Matriarch was an owl at first too.[/quote]
The truth is out there, you just have to talk to a rubbery man first. ;)

I never saw the owl before, but now that it’s out there, it’s suddenly turned into a luck challenge, it could go either way. :D

Owlright?
;)

Honey Mazed: http://d39jqyxiuv7ej3.cloudfront.net/icons/honeymazed.png

Nightmares: http://d39jqyxiuv7ej3.cloudfront.net/icons/sidebarnightmares.png

I likewise had a problem with Matriarchs for a while. I feel like there’s other images I’ve mistook before…

[quote=Cecil ]Honey Mazed: http://d39jqyxiuv7ej3.cloudfront.net/icons/honeymazed.png

Nightmares: http://d39jqyxiuv7ej3.cloudfront.net/icons/sidebarnightmares.png

I likewise had a problem with Matriarchs for a while. I feel like there’s other images I’ve mistook before…[/quote]
Right, Nightmares! I knew there was something I couldn’t understand at the beginning—and then I realised what it was, and felt like a complete idiot.

EDIT: I didn’t have any problem identifying Honey Mazed as a crazy person, but I didn’t pay much attention to it, either. The man is actually dressed in (honey-stained) white tie and a top hat. His clothes are rather light in colour, probably to make his features stand out, but that way it’s harder to see that he’s ruining expensive evening wear (in addition to wielding what looks like a meat cleaver).
edited by The Duke of Waltham on 1/30/2016

I thought the Touching Love Story was an iceberg - something to do with the Lifebergs or Mount Nomad!