1000 penny gift box?

So i just sent one of those 10 echo gif boxes o my friend

he recieved 1x proscribed material :|

We’ve done this a few times, and every result has kind of sucked, but this one was the worst of all ;-; whats the point in always sending something so horrible and valueless. why cant he get a storm threnody or something

any good experiences with them?

[quote=Nanako]So i just sent one of those 10 echo gif boxes o my friend

he recieved 1x proscribed material :|

We’ve done this a few times, and every result has kind of sucked, but this one was the worst of all ;-; whats the point in always sending something so horrible and valueless. why cant he get a storm threnody or something

any good experiences with them?[/quote]

It is very random. The main draw of the the package is the Blemmigan Pedant (unique pet) or your soul. You can also get around 16 Echoes worth if you are lucky. It’s never intended to be profitable though.

You mean the Blemmigan Secretary. The Blemmigan Pedant is the Feast of the Exceptional Rose gift. Aside from that it’s just a nice little thing you can send to your friends (or receive from an Unsigned Message once you’re notable enough). No real promise that they’ll get your money’s worth, but gifts are nice.

If you’re looking for a profitable social action I would recommend drawing cards in your Lodgings to get the Neath’s Mysteries. A strange sort of prank gives 200 Cryptic Clues, so that’s 4 echoes for only 1 action for both of you.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 4/13/2015

I’m pretty sure it’s extremely unlikely to get 10 echoes worth of stuff from it.
edited by WormApotheote on 4/13/2015

That gift-option is basically for people who are already far enough along in the game that 10 echoes is a pittance. So if the card happens to come up, and you have a friend you want to give a treat (particularly one who isn’t quite so far in the game), you send 'em a gift-box. After all, while it might not be terribly VALUABLE, the contents can still be quite useful.

Plus, if you are so inclined, it can be fun to roleplay about why your friend might have decided to send you this or that… and how you’d respond to such a present. ;)

Yes, this. There’s the Blemmigan-hunting aspect of it of course - I would estimate I’ve opened somewhere between 200 and 250 boxes in my search for one!

There are a couple of options that give 10 Echoes of items - you can for example get 4+ Collated Research or 4+ Street Signs. And some of the other items, like Violet Amber, Dubious Testimony, Devilbone Dice and Baptised Rattus Faber Corpses are not that easy to find elsewhere. Not to mention that you can also reacquire your Soul if you happen to have lost it…

…anyway, the point is that they are not money-makers, and if you treat them as a bit of fun for when you have 10 Echoes to spare, they’re fine.