Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London

Deep. Dark. Marvellous. Our biggest and best-loved game.

Updated Guidance for Fan Works Messages in this topic - RSS

Hannah Flynn
Hannah Flynn
Administrator

11/12/2014
We've just updated our guidance for fan works. They still referenced LiveJournal; while we still love LiveJournal, we thought a platform agnostic approach might be better.

Trusted friends, would you have a look at them for us?

Are they clear? Is there anything else we should cover?

Thank you!

--
Wields the news canon, aboard the hype train.
+1 link
narcissus_echo
narcissus_echo

11/12/2014
Updated guidelines, yay! I've added to the header of both my fandom blogs: “Fallen London is © 2014 and ™ Failbetter Games Limited: www.fallenlondon.com. This is an unofficial fan work.” Due to the format, the disclaimer will appear at the top of every post. Will that suffice? I'll also see to clearly marking my fanworks on ao3.

EDIT: I know how to make forum links, surely.
edited by narcissus_echo on 11/12/2014

--
a Shiny Pleasant Person who's not often covered in blood
and the Second-Most Hedonistic Individual in London.
DeepDarkMarvellous.
0 link
Theus
Theus

11/12/2014
Wikidot is updated.

I've wondered if there is an official stance on how to use static content (art assets). Using local copies doesn't hit whatever CDN or cloud solution is in place with traffic that isn't part of the core business, and ensures that fan works are protected from API/network changes. Linking to the published assets on the third party service, on the other hand, allows fan works to operate without worrying about local copy storage (making it more friendly for very small platforms), allows for automatic updates to new assets as they are deemed canonical and ready for the public, and maintains the proper look and feel of the brand when and if it changes.

Is there an official stance as to which is the preferred method?

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hefty~Harrison
0 link
Hannah Flynn
Hannah Flynn
Administrator

11/12/2014
For fan projects like wikis, it makes sense to link to artwork so it's updated when we update in-game. For everything else it really depends on the fan-creator's preference. We don't have strong feelings either way.

Edited because I forgot to blue. smile
edited by h4nchan on 11/12/2014

--
+1 link
Rupho Schartenhauer
Rupho Schartenhauer

11/13/2014
Hannah Flynn wrote:
For fan projects like wikis, it makes sense to link to artwork so it's updated when we update in-game. For everything else it really depends on the fan-creator's preference. We don't have strong feelings either way.

Edited because I forgot to blue. smile
edited by h4nchan on 11/12/2014

Just a small note, Hannah: the lighter blue you used in your first postings was much better readable wink

--
Lost in the Nadir - for now.
+1 link
Hannah Flynn
Hannah Flynn
Administrator

11/13/2014
I can't seem to tell one from the other myself - thanks!

--
0 link
Sir Frederick
Sir Frederick
Administrator

11/13/2014
It's slight, but it does show up a bit better against the grey background. And, regarding the issue at hand, well, I'm no lawyer, but as a fan, the guidelines seem reasonable, and I'll make sure to use the updated ownership statement from now on.

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
0 link

6/11/2018
Dear delicious, delicious people,
A slightly oddly-shaped line of inquiry. Have been working on some terrible science fantasy for some time, and one of the principal personalities is a fellow whose... several-hundred-times-great-grandfather was in fact a Fallen Londoner. Now, this manifests in largely subtle ways; the story itself is not placed in London (Fallen or otherwise). However, the aforementioned character possesses - as much as one can possess - a taxonomically questionable descendant of the Common Bifurcated Owl. He has something of a very faint hereditary calling to SEEK (though it is a call to SEEK out truth, and he has only a foggy notion of what the Name is). He is given to occasion with the Correspondence, more as a field of academic study than practical application, as he is a fellow with sundry experience in spooky action at a distance.
In essence, I am more than happy to credit the beautiful and delicious and tentacled folk of the day with inspiration for the appropriate bits and pieces. However, as I am unsure as to whether financial gain* might ever result from the publication of the assorted tales above-mentioned, what terms might Failbetter be interested in seeing observed by this little personal endeavor?

*None, with a confidence of ALMOST unity
+1 link
Akninirith Rhaagmini
Akninirith Rhaagmini

6/11/2018
For reasons unbeknownst to myself, login has abruptly gone south for the Winter, and have logged in once again. Personally happy to respond more directly if preferable.
The essence is thus: while emphatically NOT set in London, before the Fall or after the Rise, there are not-insignificant elements of the beautiful Neathy and Wild world present in the universe. What state occupies this particular work, in Failbetter's eyes?
edited by Akninirith Rhaagmini on 6/11/2018

--
Search that you might find.
Hope that you might understand.
Sleep that you might dream.
+1 link
Greg M
Greg M

6/18/2018
@Akninirith Rhaagmini: I can't speak for the powers that be of Fallen London, but in terms of American copyright law, what you're describing--no direct quotes, simply using pieces for inspiration--almost certainly falls under public domain, especially if you're not profiting off of it (standard disclaimer: I am a paralegal, but I am not a lawyer). Based on what I've seen of FL interactions, I expect Fallen London and the admins would be happy with a message at the front of your work thanking the game, especially if you encourage your fans with something like, "if you enjoyed this, sign up for a one-month Exceptional Friend of Fallen London." That way, you're giving FL free publicity and potentially sending money their way. (Admins, I will delete or revise if this is in any way inaccurate.)

Good luck with your story!

Akninirith Rhaagmini wrote:
For reasons unbeknownst to myself, login has abruptly gone south for the Winter, and have logged in once again. Personally happy to respond more directly if preferable.
The essence is thus: while emphatically NOT set in London, before the Fall or after the Rise, there are not-insignificant elements of the beautiful Neathy and Wild world present in the universe. What state occupies this particular work, in Failbetter's eyes?

--
Profile: GregM.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/GregM

Available for any non-harmful social interactions. NOT the next Mayor of London. Fraud, I say, FRAUD!
0 link