Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.
Snowskeeper
Snowskeeper

7/29/2014
I don't really think there's any serious doubt about whether the You've Been Chosen thing is FBG-related, at this point, and Aximillo is right--the fact that they're bringing it up at all supports that theory further.
0 link
Pnakotic
Pnakotic

7/29/2014
It's an interesting question - when I first saw this in my inbox my thought was it was another teaser back to The Secret World. Then I remembered that was Funcom, not Bioware. I'm intrigued by the possibility of the intersection, though I received the "Chosen" video link on the webmail account I don't use for Fallen London/Echo Bazaar, but have used in the past with Bioware as a customer and beta tester. So there might be no link at all. Or not.

--
J. Ward Dunn, a midnight, sinister, terrifying and lethal gentleman
0 link
Zodapop
Zodapop

7/29/2014
My current theory is this is set in the FL world, and Cologne is the Sixth City. We have reason to believe there will be seven, and this certainly appears Fallen London-y, what with the man made of smoke(a modern devil?), dark alleys, and focus on nightmares.

Well, it is only a theory in the loosest sense, in that it is born entirely of want and not of belief or any actual evidence.
edited by Zodapop on 7/29/2014
-1 link
WormApotheote
WormApotheote

7/29/2014
Aximillio wrote:
Enthusiastic Urchin: the Postman's Pleasure
Suppose we could send you small and surprising somethings through the real-world mail every two-three months - physical Fallen London newspaper clippings, coins, or tiny trinkets, for instance. Would you be interested?
(This is not related to any rumours about possible Failbetter projects which may have been in the news lately.)

Count that as confirmation?

I don't think that confirms anything, beyond that they are aware of people making the connection (I mean, this thread is right on their forum) and any kind of implied project like that is going to get linked to it in people's minds.

--
No, I don't pull the Eater of Names.
+1 link
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook
Administrator

7/30/2014
Feelies like newspaper clippings have been popularly demanded in every discussion of merch - I'm not the least bit surprised that they're being considered now, given the coming Sunless Sea release and all!

--
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook, the Libertarian Esotericist. Reginald Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Ms Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
+1 link
Zodapop
Zodapop

7/30/2014
A Bioware employee stated that it was a brand new IP, so it is definitively not in the Fallen London world.

And the Woods-Watson institute pretty clearly involves sentient works of art and writing characters to life, which certainly sounds Failbetteran. Though it seems everybody has already reached the consensus that this is the super secret project, I think that's still an interesting concept to bring up.
edited by Zodapop on 7/30/2014
+2 link
babelfishwars
babelfishwars
Administrator

7/30/2014
Mordaine Barimen wrote:
I just wish that the Urchin had been more precise in what sort of thing it had considered as qualifying as "Impressive," for example.

I'd be fairly impressed were I sent rats.

--
Note: Not as grumpy as sounds. Loves arguing. Doesn't actually hate you.
"Ever-Spockean"
Mars, God of Fish; Leaning Tower of Fish
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Moomin
+1 link
Guy Dudeman
Guy Dudeman

7/30/2014
There was an ARG started on http://www.seekinghenna.com/ a website registered by EA at about the same time as the You've been chosen website, also considering how they both focus on the supernatural and on dreams, it is likely an ARG for the game.
Here is a snippet from a recent post (emphasis and Note added by me)
wrote:
Myth and legend surrounded Colonel Fawcett for most of his career. Many members of his family, including his wife Nina, were caught up in the popular occult movements of the early 20th century. The Fawcetts were avid believers in the Theosophy Movement founded by a Russian woman known as Madame Blavatsky. Members of Theosophical Societies were convinced that hidden cities existed all over the world where “enlightened” men and women foretold prophecies that would benefit all humankind.
Don’t judge them too harshly. You’ve spent time on the Internet. People still believe crazy ideas. Hollow Earth”, anyone? (Note: this is italicized in the original quote)

The Fawcetts may have taken their beliefs a little farther than most. Percy and Nina believed their son Jack was actually one of these enlightened savior people and belonged in one of the hidden cities. That is why Jack was on the Amazon expedition. Colonel Fawcett was searching for the ancient lost city of “Z”, which he thought was one of Madame Blavatsky’s fabled utopias. The expedition and its eventual disappearance were widely followed by the news media in Britain and North America. Many rescue teams and other explorers have since tried to uncover what happened without success.

Additionally, the first clue in the ARG seems to involve a fictional university, among the classes are several Failbetter-y course names.

• Edit: Now that I am home from my own university, I can actually post some of these courses.

Language Symbiosis: Linguistic Traditions of Sumerian and Akkadian
    Which "will examine the relationship of these malleable languages and their newer applications." New applications? Only new application I've ever seen was a cypher in the Great Game, especially considering potential links between some other cities and Mesopotamia.

Traversing the Past: A Look at History through Memories
    "This course looks at the broad timeline of history through the minds of the people who lived it."
    Not directly related, but thematically very similar to some concepts in Fallen London

Diplomatic Protocols of Ancient Civilizations
    "To achieve harmony, all parties in a cultural exchange must show proper respect and foreknowledge of each other’s nuances. An effective diplomat is aware of all traditions behind a negotiation, which is especially challenging when compromising with multi-millennial political entities. This class is a requirement for students applying to act as liaison with the Radiant Empires."
    It appears to deal with the Radiant Empires rather than the Baazar, but the concept of a "multi-millennial political entity" has been brought up as similar before.

Translating Hieroglyphics of the Late Awakening Era
    EGYPT

And 2 classes that I don't know to have anything matching in Fallen London, but sound pretty Failbetter-y
    Martial Tactics versus Incorporeal Entities
    The Biological Implications of Mythical Creatures.

edited by Guy Dudeman on 7/30/2014

--
    Guy I, the Father, who went up to the North
    Guy II, the Son, looking for his Father
  • +2 link
    Zodapop
    Zodapop

8/2/2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbpG0uRJ5N0

New teaser for those interested.
    0 link
    hyperion122
    hyperion122

8/8/2014
    http://youtu.be/tUoqlvQ9SM8

New teaser out i think they are periodically posting them every week or so but anyway doesn't reveal much but is still interesting and creepy.
    At least we know that the game has something to do with supernatural abilities

• edited by hyperion122 on 8/8/2014

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/hyperion122
  • 0 link
    Loon
    Loon

8/8/2014
    Barbara Newhall Follett shows up as a disappeared person here, and then as a professor at the Woods-Watson - Institute, for the elective teaching her own literature. There are other disappeared people showing up at that college: there is a course on the explorer Percival Fawcett, who according to the missing persons website disappeared in 1925 - and the course focuses on his explorations from 1927 to 1956. And the last webpage Henna visited before her disappearance was that of the woods-watson institute.

--
    My main character Krawald can be found at http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Krawald and welcomes all social actions bar photographers.

My alt Loogan Cuthoat can be found at http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Loogan~Cuthoat and welcomes all social actions bar cats and photographers.

My alt Ally Mooney can be found at http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Ally~Mooney and welcomes all social actions including patronage, though they are a bit confused by cats in boxes.
    0 link
    merusdraconis
    merusdraconis

8/13/2014
    So this game's been announced; it's an online multiplayer game called Shadow Realms. Failbetter don't seem to be involved at all.
    0 link
    Snowskeeper
    Snowskeeper

8/13/2014
    merusdraconis wrote:
    So this game's been announced; it's an online multiplayer game called Shadow Realms. Failbetter don't seem to be involved at all.

• It'd make more sense for this to be the Failbetter collab than not, at this point, but I can't find any indication that they're working on it either. Drat.
  • 0 link
    Gillsing
    Gillsing

8/13/2014
    Snowskeeper wrote:
    It'd make more sense for this to be the Failbetter collab than not, at this point, but I can't find any indication that they're working on it either. Drat.
    Maybe Failbetter Games was only hired to do the Alternate Reality Game marketing for the game? With the Mr Eaten content and Ambition: Enigma I'd say that would be an area where they could provide a certain expertise.

It also seems unlikely that Bioware would make a game based on the ideas of another developer, as they're sure to have plenty of their own ideas for what to make. And if they just needed a few more people to execute those ideas, why not simply hire people instead of collaboration with another developer?
    +2 link
    EmilyAriel
    EmilyAriel

8/13/2014
    Gillsing wrote:
    Snowskeeper wrote:
    It'd make more sense for this to be the Failbetter collab than not, at this point, but I can't find any indication that they're working on it either. Drat.
    Maybe Failbetter Games was only hired to do the Alternate Reality Game marketing for the game? With the Mr Eaten content and Ambition: Enigma I'd say that would be an area where they could provide a certain expertise.

It also seems unlikely that Bioware would make a game based on the ideas of another developer, as they're sure to have plenty of their own ideas for what to make. And if they just needed a few more people to execute those ideas, why not simply hire people instead of collaboration with another developer?

• I'm guessing that it would be because someone at Bioware (whose name is in Sunless Sea, I am pretty sure!) is a fan.
  • 0 link
    hyperion122
    hyperion122

8/13/2014
    It says that it is very heavily story based so maybe their is a hope that this is a Failbetter collab

UPDATE: never mind failbetter games have said that their collab with browser is still unannounced so now we wait I guess ( but shadow realms still looks really good)
    edited by hyperion122 on 8/13/2014

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/hyperion122
    0 link
    Alexis Kennedy
    Alexis Kennedy

8/14/2014
    Sorry for the long silence, folks! We were specifically requested not to comment on this at all.

We can now tell you, though, that the project we're working on has not yet been announced.
    +7 link
    Administrator

8/14/2014
    BioWare still keen to provide lots of speculation for everyone, eh? Well, we eagerly await yet-unannounced secret project!

--
    Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook, the Libertarian Esotericist. Reginald Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
    Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Ms Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
    FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
    0 link
    Playersideblog
    Playersideblog

8/14/2014
    Alexis Kennedy wrote:
    Sorry for the long silence, folks! We were specifically requested not to comment on this at all.

We can now tell you, though, that the project we're working on has not yet been announced.

Crumulent news! I'm actually quite happy about this, because I was a tad iffy on this one myself. It didn't seem to fit the FB mold hugely well, especially not when they announced the action RPG element. (Not much story stuff at all.)

--
    My profile

I am now a Correspondent, and no longer able to accept invitations as an Author. (Or so I believe.)
    0 link
    sir_sheepish
    sir_sheepish

8/14/2014
    Not sure if people are still following this ARG but I couldn't help but be interested by the two math courses; they offer a pair of equations for circles. Those circles can be overlaid as follows :

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x%5E2+%2B+y%5E2+%3D+49+AND+x%5E2+%2B+%28y%2B7%29%5E2%3D4

Found that interesting, I mean they have to be there for a reason right?

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sir_Sheepish
    0 link