Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Fate-Locked Content Messages in this topic - RSS

Optimatum
Optimatum

5/4/2017
rahv7 wrote:
Optimatum wrote:
The Persona Engine was a good story with interesting mechanics, and one ending gave a unique Home Comfort...

I was of the impression that I knew all the possible rewards.
What home comfort do you mean? Is it possible that you are referring to the Semi-Autonomous Scrutinising Machine available from Mr Hearts during Christmas? Because that is not dependent on having played the Persona Engine.

Whoops, I do believe you're right. I seem to have been confused from the similar release dates, with a good helping of wishful thinking that it might not be limited to snowbound. Thanks for saving me from spending 45 Fate trying to get it.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles or Affluent Photographer requests; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
0 link
Gallmarch
Gallmarch

5/5/2017
Optimatum wrote:
rahv7 wrote:
Optimatum wrote:
The Persona Engine was a good story with interesting mechanics, and one ending gave a unique Home Comfort...

I was of the impression that I knew all the possible rewards.
What home comfort do you mean? Is it possible that you are referring to the Semi-Autonomous Scrutinising Machine available from Mr Hearts during Christmas? Because that is not dependent on having played the Persona Engine.

Whoops, I do believe you're right. I seem to have been confused from the similar release dates, with a good helping of wishful thinking that it might not be limited to snowbound. Thanks for saving me from spending 45 Fate trying to get it.

To add to the confusion, the story and the home comfort have almost identical artwork: the story just has a figure in the foreground while the scrutinising machine doesn't. (I'm therefore choosing to believe that I'm keeping an incognito persona machine in my guest room.)

--
My profile: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Gallmarch
0 link
Kharsirr Lynx
Kharsirr Lynx

5/6/2017
Is there any opportunity card associated with Green-Eyed Devil, as for example there is one for Rubbery Consort?

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kharsirr%20Lynx
0 link
Ivica
Ivica

5/14/2017
Kharsirr Lynx wrote:
Is there any opportunity card associated with Green-Eyed Devil, as for example there is one for Rubbery Consort?

Yes. There is a card "Ask the Green-Eyed Devil"

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sincityster
0 link
dov
dov

5/14/2017
Ivica wrote:
Kharsirr Lynx wrote:

Yes. There is a card "Ask the Green-Eyed Devil"

That's not an opportunity card associated with the Green-Eyed Devil.

That's an option on a specific (and non-repeatable) storylet which is unlocked by having him as a companion.

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
0 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

5/16/2017
I got The Gift story and, of course, I couldn't help myself from turning around!
Problem is I wasn't expecting this, didn't buy the Honeyed laudanum (was willing to do so for Ambition) and the issue with this is that I'm a dream hoarder and seeing 5CP from each is a big hit for my progress!

So, any way to skip the dream drain? upset

Oh, and I read that this story has some connection with cellars beneath the Palace, but I failed to find anything. Was it at the beginning or I'm yet to find it?

EDIT: As I'm using the ambition to get to Nightmares 3 for the Interpreter card I don't really intend to go to A state of some confusion yet.
edited by Skinnyman on 5/16/2017

--
Skinnyman is accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats (hunger!) and boxed cats. *Sorry, Duchess!*
No Dante, no suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
Other actions are welcomed only if they are accompanied by some RP text!
Updated achievement list if you're feeling bored!
0 link
Azothi
Azothi

5/16/2017
Skinnyman wrote:

So, any way to skip the dream drain? upset

Oh, and I read that this story has some connection with cellars beneath the Palace, but I failed to find anything. Was it at the beginning or I'm yet to find it?
The closest non-Fate way I know is to have a Memory of Light and go to the Mirror-Marches instead, which takes out a bigger piece of Is Someone There? but doesn't affect the rest of your dreams.

For the connection to the cellars, you go beneath the palace into the cellars to get to the dining hall, if I recall correctly, and you can return there to finish the story after you've recovered.

--
Azoth I - Midnighter - Available Watchful Patron - Long History - Appearance

A Fading Memory

Celebrating one year in Fallen London, September 1895.
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

5/16/2017
Azothi wrote:
The closest non-Fate way I know is to have a Memory of Light and go to the Mirror-Marches instead, which takes out a bigger piece of Is Someone There? but doesn't affect the rest of your dreams.

For the connection to the cellars, you go beneath the palace into the cellars to get to the dining hall, if I recall correctly, and you can return there to finish the story after you've recovered.

I am in The Mirror-Marches, but the issue is that I don't want to lose any Dream qualities; I knew I should have bought that honey just as an assurance, damn!
I won't mind spending fate, while being mad, just to keep my Dreams intact!

--
Skinnyman is accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats (hunger!) and boxed cats. *Sorry, Duchess!*
0 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

5/17/2017
Skinnyman wrote:

Iirc there's one option later in the story unlocked by having a high enough level of the A Nocturnal Visitor to the Palace Cellars quality, but nothing important.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles or Affluent Photographer requests; all other social actions welcome.

+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

5/17/2017
Well, it's over!
Just adding a note about A Nocturnal Visitor to the Palace Cellars: just before finishing the long trip there's an option regarding this quality. If you miss it just retrace your steps to drop the quality.

I used this option as many times as it was required to get the text from all the possible options. AP and Fate well spent! The story was incredible and offered a lot of lore about the royals.

EDIT: To be honest I'll probably replay this story after buying all the rest! Only for that unwise action and the visit to the Mirror Marches is more than worth it! Big Grin
edited by Skinnyman on 5/17/2017

--
0 link
Srebro
Srebro

5/20/2017
What is the highest possible reward for the Gallery of Serpents?

Yesterday, I was extremely lucky to get two Elemental Secrets. It is like providence guided me as I have seen four signs during the journey.

Is there fate-locked content which uses rare items as an Elemental Secret or a Dreadful Surmise?
0 link
Constance Harrow
Constance Harrow

5/23/2017
In case any devs read this thread, I really enjoyed HOJOTOHO. It was a very touching story and also appreciate what I save in weasels from now on.
0 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

5/24/2017
Srebro wrote:
What is the highest possible reward for the Gallery of Serpents?

Yesterday, I was extremely lucky to get two Elemental Secrets. It is like providence guided me as I have seen four signs during the journey.

Is there fate-locked content which uses rare items as an Elemental Secret or a Dreadful Surmise?

The double Elemental Secrets is the highest reward. There's three possible Fate-only treasures iirc: two Eyeless Skulls, Tears of the Bazaar, and two Elemental Secrets.

For your second question, I don't think there's any use in the game for Elemental Secrets outside of money. Dreadful Surmises are needed at Christmas to get Taste of Lacre really high, and can be used in SMEN, but no Fate-locked uses I know of.
edited by Optimatum on 5/24/2017

--

0 link
SeveredJoke
SeveredJoke

5/31/2017
I've bought my first fate locked content (Flute Street and Empyrean Redolence) and am a little confused about the latter. Does it have a specific storylet or is it more a case of hunting beasties around FL? I've already found a [spoiler]rubbery hound [/spoiler] but the storylet in the Labyrinth that I thought would give me more information just seemed to be a placeholder reminder.

Any non-spoilery advice?

--
Annabelle McAllister - Nemesis

Marlon JD - Bag a Legend

Suzi Bapsthwaite - Light Fingers

Delilah Moreo - Heart's Desire

Alexei Totkinder - Nemesis
0 link
Yeah
Yeah

5/31/2017
SeveredJoke wrote:
I've bought my first fate locked content (Flute Street and Empyrean Redolence) and am a little confused about the latter. Does it have a specific storylet or is it more a case of hunting beasties around FL? I've already found a [spoiler]rubbery hound [/spoiler] but the storylet in the Labyrinth that I thought would give me more information just seemed to be a placeholder reminder.

Any non-spoilery advice?

There's four different beasts you can find in Fallen London, rubbery hound included. When you get all of the labyrinth stats to max (Thwarting Beastly Devils, The Hunt is On!, and Taming the beast), the Pulling Out The Stops storylet gains an additional option to feed the beasts Empyrean Redolence, in addition to the normal non-fate options. That's the main mechanical brunt of the labyrinth continuation, though there's also a brief storyline that plays throughout opportunity cards, which will let you get special destinies if you've yet to acquire one. Hope that wasn't too spoilery.

--
Yeah Man - A Bleeding-heart hoarder of curiosities.
+1 link
SeveredJoke
SeveredJoke

5/31/2017
Yeah wrote:
SeveredJoke wrote:

Any non-spoilery advice?

There's four different beasts you can find in Fallen London, rubbery hound included. When you get all of the labyrinth stats to max (Thwarting Beastly Devils, The Hunt is On!, and Taming the beast), the Pulling Out The Stops storylet gains an additional option to feed the beasts Empyrean Redolence, in addition to the normal non-fate options. That's the main mechanical brunt of the labyrinth continuation, though there's also a brief storyline that plays throughout opportunity cards, which will let you get special destinies if you've yet to acquire one. Hope that wasn't too spoilery.

Thanks! I haven't encountered a destiny yet. Is that distinct from ambitions? Good to know about the story being played out in opportunity cards. I've been hoarding so that will explain why I haven't encountered them yet. I was hoping that it would be more story heavy given the promise!

--
Annabelle McAllister - Nemesis

Marlon JD - Bag a Legend

Suzi Bapsthwaite - Light Fingers

Delilah Moreo - Heart's Desire

Alexei Totkinder - Nemesis
0 link
Yeah
Yeah

5/31/2017
SeveredJoke wrote:
Yeah wrote:
SeveredJoke wrote:

Any non-spoilery advice?

Thanks! I haven't encountered a destiny yet. Is that distinct from ambitions? Good to know about the story being played out in opportunity cards. I've been hoarding so that will explain why I haven't encountered them yet. I was hoping that it would be more story heavy given the promise!

Destinies are little bonuses you can get during Halloween or Christmas, depending on which option you pick on the specific "Destiny" you've been given. Most of these are neat little story pieces regarding the different ways that life in London as we know it can end, like the Liberation of Night. The vast majority of them are free, and give +5 to a specific stat, there are a few fate-only destinies that give +5 to one stat and +3 to another, and, of course, there's a seeking destiny which imposes -3 to all stats. Permanently. You can only ever get a single destiny, and switching them costs like 30 fate, so even if you'd dislike spoilers you might want to look into which one you'll pick next time an opportunity comes around.

As a side-note, neither of the Labyrinth continuation destinies are the special +5 +3 destinies, so you're not losing any possible fate value by missing them.

--
Yeah Man - A Bleeding-heart hoarder of curiosities.
+1 link
dov
dov

5/31/2017
Yeah wrote:
Destinies are little bonuses you can get during Halloween or Christmas

Also during the Fruits of the Zee festival at late August

--
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
0 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

5/31/2017
One of the labyrinth continuation grant a destiny not otherwise available, despite having regular stats.

That said, in terms of difficulty of acquiring destiny, I'd say Christmas is the easiest (just need a bucket of snow), while Fruits of the Zee and Hallowmas take a bit more work.

--
Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
I currently do not accept any catbox, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
0 link
Anchovies
Anchovies

5/31/2017
First, a question about the expanded Fourth Coil: if I've pulled out all the stops on the Tomb-Lion and gotten a certain dark horse, is there any point to picking up another Tomb-Lion? Or will I need to find the other eleven (?) base creatures somewhere else?

Now on to a different matter.

I paid 8 Fate to find out why the Veteran Privy-Counselor wanted an opera, because I'd succeeded in the Watchful challenge available in the same storylet and that had really piqued my curiosity. So what do I get, for two dollars' worth of fate?

One paragraph. Seven sentences about how the Counselor has overseen stage productions with ulterior motives at least once before (in one past case, marrying a son of the Empress to a playwright). Barely any information that couldn't already be inferred (it's super obvious that there are ulterior motives simply because the option to investigate exists at all). The free Watchful challenge gave a result which was much more interesting and rewarding. I am sorely disappointed with what I got for having paid 8 Fate. Seventy-one words of text probably wouldn't be worth that price even if they contained anything memorable. There are other 8-Fate options which probably don't have much story to them, but those are things which have some sort of gameplay effect, like removing all of a particular menace. But this? Nothing, really. It felt more like a button that wasted 8 Fate than anything else. I don't regret giving Failbetter some of my money, but I definitely regret thinking this was a good place to spend it.

Speaking of good places to spend Fate, there's another thing I'm dissatisfied with. Why does "Heart's Desire: the Price of Desire" not have a Fate-payable option to simply advance the ambition by a step? I don't want to sacrifice weeks worth of dreams progress, and that means using the Stone-Tentacle Key, which in turn shuts me out of progressing the Ambition until I get a ship and get to Hunter's Keep.
edited by Anchovies on 5/31/2017

--
Perhaps our role on this planet is not to worship God — but to create Him.
—Sir Arthur C Clarke

Lionel Anchovies. Most social actions welcome. Always open to some delicious roleplaying. Please no betrayals, photographer, or lethal sparring. My Time, the Healer arrives on Saturdays at 14:30 GMT
0 link