Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeDragon Age: The Last Court

Wild Words: A Speculation Thread. Messages in this topic - RSS

Snowskeeper
Snowskeeper

2/25/2014
If you are reading this thread, then you are now Closest To: The Great Game.

• We feel that a thread is needed for individuals to use to make guesses about the nature of the Bioware/Failbetter collaboration. As time goes on, and we receive more information (read: we receive information), this thread will likely become a place for enlightened individuals to make educated guesses regarding the details of the plot or the

For now, it's a place for everyone to fanboy/fangirl like crazy while dreaming grand dreams of What Might Be.

More seriously (I'd like to spoiler this next bit, but I still haven't figured out how to get those to work):
    For legal purposes, I'd like to clarify a two things. (See, I said "I" instead of "we," I'm totally serious, look at how serious I am).
    First: at this point in time, we (meaning the fanbase at large) have received no information from any parties regarding the nature of this game, except a single statement confirming that it does, in fact, exist, that they've been working on it on and off for the last year, and that it's "a Failbettery [project], down to its bones." I'll remove this bit as soon as that changes.
    Also, um, I know this sounds really, stupidly obvious, and I really doubt that anyone will actually try this, but I was thinking about the whole thing with the idiot who threatened legal action as a result of the whole Winking Isle thing, so: by posting an idea intended as speculation about the FB/BW collab in this forum thread, you sacrifice the right to sue them over it if it turns out you were right.
  • edited by Snowskeeper on 2/25/2014

• edited by Snowskeeper on 2/25/2014

--
    S.F., a midnight midnighter and invisible eminence. Impossible to locate them, personally, but there are dead drops and agents.
  • +1 link
    Spacemarine9
    Spacemarine9

2/25/2014
    Rat Sending Simulator 2k14: Ultra HD Ratloaded.

--
    my rats will blot out the sun
    Ratgames
    FL lore/mechanics questions and answers
    #FallenLondon IRC (irc.synirc.net) Channel! Click to join via Mibbit.
    #SunlessSea IRC channel! Like the above, but zee-ier.
    +11 link
    babelfishwars
    babelfishwars
    Administrator

2/25/2014
    :-) I think the only risk of suing is if we guess correctly and Bioware think FB have broken a NDA and spoiled a big launch or something.

We do have some geniuseses in our bunch, but they should be thrown off track by the loons, so guesses likely to be wild and frenzied and utterly safe.

Edit: If it's not that, SpaceMarine9, I'd kickstart that.
    edited by babelfishwars on 2/25/2014

--
    Note: Not as grumpy as sounds. Loves arguing. Doesn't actually hate you.
    "Ever-Spockean"
    Mars, God of Fish; Leaning Tower of Fish
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Moomin
    +3 link
    Plymouth
    Plymouth

2/25/2014
    I feel compelled to make a bet on Mass Effect Next francise. You may delete this message to confirm that I'm right and at the same time conceal the real project you're working on. Or you can simply keep the intrigue up wink
    +3 link
    Snowskeeper
    Snowskeeper

2/25/2014
    My dream is that it'll be a fully-animated, first-person Fallen London RPG. I think/hope/pray that the majority of gamers today are mature enough to accept an RPG based around more than stabbing things, etc.

• That said, I'm fine with pretty much anything Failbetter makes with Bioware. A Mass Effect game sounds awesome as well.

--
    S.F., a midnight midnighter and invisible eminence. Impossible to locate them, personally, but there are dead drops and agents.
  • +5 link
    Playersideblog
    Playersideblog

2/25/2014
    Snowskeeper wrote:
    First: at this point in time, we (meaning the fanbase at large) have received no information from any parties regarding the nature of this game, except a single statement confirming that it does, in fact, exist. I'll remove this bit as soon as that changes.
    Technically...here's what we know for sure. (In color to stand out; none of the mods use that color, right?)

• "But for the last year, on and off, we’ve been working in absolute secrecy on a project for a much larger company."

"I can’t tell you anything at all about the project – not for a little while yet – except to say that it’s a Failbettery one, down to its bones. But I can tell you the name of the company:
    BioWare."
    I feel that those are the most pertinent bits. It's "a project" being done "for Bioware". At the same time, it's characterized as "Failbettery...down to its bones".
    My current guess is "a highly-polished prologue to Dragon Age: Inquisition, using the StoryNexus engine", based on the work done with Black Crown. However, I could be wrong and we might be getting Fallen London: the Bioware RPG instead. wink

--
    My profile

I am now a Correspondent, and no longer able to accept invitations as an Author. (Or so I believe.)
  • +1 link
    Snowskeeper
    Snowskeeper

2/25/2014
    Adjusted; thanks for that, Playerside. =)

--
    +1 link
    Quixoticcat
    Quixoticcat

2/25/2014
    As brought up by a friend of mine on IM: Fallen Planescape: The True Story of the Nameless One.

Nameless One == Mr. Eaten. You saw it here first.

--
    Character name: Sardonyx. Please feel free to send me social invitations of all sorts.
    +4 link
    Sir Frederick
    Sir Frederick
    Administrator

2/26/2014
    I'm Lieutenant Commander H. August Shepard of Her Majesty's Navy, and this is my favourite gunsmithy at the Bazaar.

...no, I have no idea.

--
    Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
    Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
    FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
    +4 link
    Elene
    Elene

2/26/2014
    You play as a space vampire-bat, traveling between the stars to create links between the judgements, and battling lorn flukes in deep space. I dunno, best I got.

--
    Elene: Generally open for invitations. No cats or Photographers though.
    May or may not actually be Mr Wines.

Associates: Grey Colors, Elene2
    +4 link
    friendshipranger
    friendshipranger

2/26/2014
    Maybe this is just me, but given some of the crazy inventive stuff on Storynexus like FL, Cabinet Noi, Black Crown, and other projects, my bet would be Bioware is working with FBG to test little projects-ones that break out of the Fantasy/Space Opera mold. Big companies are ironically more creatively hamstrung, because of the limiting factor of shareholders (and the subsequent need to bring them significant returns on investment) as opposed to limited by simply resources. FBG represents a good fit in terms of narrative competence and overall imagination.

That said, in terms of wold speculation:
    Cyberpunk. Please? Please? *Please*? Preferably post-cyberpunk. But honestly realistic fiction is something games and interactive fiction seem to lack for. Like, I've never read or played an interactive equivalent to a Judy Bloom novel.
    edited by friendshipranger on 2/26/2014

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/J.L.%20Moriarty
    +4 link
    Pyrodinium
    Pyrodinium

2/26/2014
    I think the project would be a story-rich 19th century RPG adventure. I think we already have the Thief and the Warrior classes covered. Perhaps the Correspondence Scholars could be the Mage class? They're good at setting stuff on fire, especially themselves.

--
    My profiles: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Pyrodinium
    (A Monster hunter on the hunt of his twin brother's killer. Overprotective dad of his twin's daughter)
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Rudolph~of~Taured
    (an indeterminate person of potentially rubbery lineage)
    * All social actions except photographers and loitering welcome!
    +1 link
    Flipz
    Flipz

2/26/2014
    friendshipranger wrote:
    Like, I've never read or played an interactive equivalent to a Judy Bloom novel.

If this is not, in fact, what they're working on with Bioware, FBG should approach Judy Bloom (if she's alive--I regret to admit I do not know if she is or not) and make this a thing.

(Oh, and I hope we see cyberpunk as well.)

--
    Profile Link

Happy to accept all Second Chance, Menace reduction, and Affluent Photographer requests. No boxed cats or SMEN, please.

0/50 Bazaar Permit (New counters coming soon!)
    +1 link
    Aspeon
    Aspeon

2/26/2014
    Flipz wrote:
    friendshipranger wrote:
    Like, I've never read or played an interactive equivalent to a Judy Bloom novel.

If this is not, in fact, what they're working on with Bioware, FBG should approach Judy Bloom (if she's alive--I regret to admit I do not know if she is or not) and make this a thing.

(Oh, and I hope we see cyberpunk as well.)

• Have you played Machine Cares? It may be in that ballpark.

--
    A raccooning will not be postponed indefinitely.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Aspeon
  • +1 link
    Playersideblog
    Playersideblog

2/26/2014
    Machine Cares was certainly one of the things which came to mind as well. smile

--
    My profile

I am now a Correspondent, and no longer able to accept invitations as an Author. (Or so I believe.)
    +1 link
    Quixoticcat
    Quixoticcat

2/26/2014
    friendshipranger wrote:

• May I recommend "Gone Home" by the Fullbright Company? It is the only example I can think of but it is lovely and fits this descriptor quite well.

--
    Character name: Sardonyx. Please feel free to send me social invitations of all sorts.
  • +3 link
    friendshipranger
    friendshipranger

2/26/2014
    I actually have. I loved it, but the voyeuristic aspect sort of differentiated it for me. Like, I was viewing a story from a pinhole as opposed to shaping it.
    Also, being alone in the house scared the poop outta me a few times.

That said, I DO need to play Machine Cares. I somehow forgot about it.

Quixoticcat wrote:
    friendshipranger wrote:

• May I recommend "Gone Home" by the Fullbright Company? It is the only example I can think of but it is lovely and fits this descriptor quite well.

• --
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/J.L.%20Moriarty
    +1 link
    OPG
    OPG

2/28/2014
    All I'm saying is that if this isn't related to Jade Empire, I'm going to cry a little.

--
    overpoweredginger, an irresistible, magnificent, midnight and sagacious gentleman.

A Fallen London Roleplay Community exists. Contrary to popular belief, Richard Nixon is not involved.
    +1 link
    Playersideblog
    Playersideblog

2/28/2014
    OPG wrote:
    All I'm saying is that if this isn't related to Jade Empire, I'm going to cry a little.

Gosh, that would be glorious. (I just got past the throne room scene.)

• --
    My profile

• +1 link
    Sir Jason Splendor the Third
    Sir Jason Splendor the Third

3/10/2014
    Something fabulous.

--
    A sad man: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/JasonSplendorTheThird
    I welcome second chances and menace reductions.
    I do not accept any sort of cats in boxes, or anything that has to do with that photographer.
    I also welcome calling cards.
    0 link