Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London

Deep. Dark. Marvellous. Our biggest and best-loved game.

Feedback Messages in this topic - RSS

Loiathal
Loiathal

22 days ago
Unrelated to Hallowmas, but pressing Enter when saving something to your journal should confirm saving it to the journal, but instead it presses the "onward" button, preventing you from saving the text and (possibly) preventing you from finishing reading it.
+3 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

22 days ago
Loiathal wrote:
Optimatum wrote:

Last year's Notability grind for confessions was painful and ridiculous, but it was there.

I'm an end game player who's completed most of the grinds in the game (minus Cider), so grinding Notability wasn't a big deal to me-- in fact, it was kind of interesting last year, as a way to spend some of the resources I collect all year in services of getting those time limited items. I realize there are two competing design goals here: give end game players a way to spend lots of resources so they can do a lot more, and also don't let newer players feel locked out of the event. But that's my two cents on it.

And here's FBGs conclusion after last year's jump from Nota 5 to Nota 8.
In the first year I was so close to getting all companions even if I was ~7 months old, but last year was a criminal! Even with this, I got the taste of "you can't have them all" which was more than fine!
In preparations, I went North, I pilled 6k+ visions, 4k+ romantic notions and a whooping scheme level of 42 + 5 CP. Was ready for a requirement of 6 or 7!

But it seems the requirements for confessions is only Fate!

--
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
+3 link
Tuxi
Tuxi

22 days ago
I've got to agree with Optimatum here. I had just been playing for 2 months last Hallowmas and didn't do a huge amount of collecting, but I've heard stories about how difficult it was. However, I find it odd that the solution to "it's too difficult to do everything" is apparently to make it actually impossible to do everything you want – unless you pay a very large amount of fate. Even notability is better than absolutely nothing.

In addition to that, if you're a collector: Unless you value impressing Mr Huffam at somewhere up to around 190 fate (a guess that the collective cost of the companions will be about 170 fate, going by the cost of previous years' companions, compared to the 360 fate for getting 24 confessions) you're better off ignoring companions this year, and picking them up later (as Optimatum said). That just doesn't seem right.

I want to support my beloved Princess (and thank you so much for having her return – I absolutely love it), but right now I'm afraid almost all I will be able to do is get debate lessons from the Contrarian.
edited by Tuxi on 10/24/2018
+4 link
NotaWalrus
NotaWalrus

22 days ago
Okay, so since there is no way to get extra confessions all the storylets related to Hallowmass are mostly useless. Why are they taking up the first 4 slots in my storylets? 6 if you count the also useless Season of Celebrations cards and Visitors at Hallowmass. I have to scroll down past 2 screens to get to the storylets I can actually use.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/NotaWalrus
Ignacious, the Licentious Scholar, he will accept most social invitations, including boxed cats and affluent photographers (but only betrayals), though he is absent-minded and might take more time than entirely necessary. He apologizes.

Good evening from Ignacious
Ignacious's Backtory
+2 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

22 days ago
Skinnyman wrote:

Absintheuse wrote:
Thank you for your feedback on the Notability grind, it was intended to allow hardcore players to get a few more confessions than other players, but seems to function more of a burden than a kindness! We'll take this into consideration for the festival for next year.

Oof. I think we read that message very differently at the time than was intended. The burden we disliked was the difficulty of the Notability grind, not the existence of the grind itself...

This new system just feels very different than Failbetter's normal Fate usage. Throughout the rest of the game, anything obtainable with Fate is either entirely impossible for free, or difficult but entirely doable. This new confession design is neither—each individual reward is doable for free, but the hard limit on free confessions prevents doing everything. It feels wrong, and compared to past years, rather exploitative.

(It's also very strange, because a lack of grind means there's no way to actively participate in Hallowmas this year. We just get to wait around for free confessions.)
edited by Optimatum on 10/24/2018

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+6 link
NotaWalrus
NotaWalrus

22 days ago
There is definitely something wrong when I'm essentially done with one of the major events of the year in the span of less than 20 clicks.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/NotaWalrus
Ignacious, the Licentious Scholar, he will accept most social invitations, including boxed cats and affluent photographers (but only betrayals), though he is absent-minded and might take more time than entirely necessary. He apologizes.

Good evening from Ignacious
Ignacious's Backtory
+4 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

22 days ago
Optimatum wrote:
Skinnyman wrote:

Absintheuse wrote:
Thank you for your feedback on the Notability grind, it was intended to allow hardcore players to get a few more confessions than other players, but seems to function more of a burden than a kindness! We'll take this into consideration for the festival for next year.

Oof. I think we read that message very differently at the time than was intended. The burden we disliked was the difficulty of the Notability grind, not the existence of the grind itself...
People were complaining about the amount of Notability required, not that Notability was the requirement.
In that context, we can assume that people wanted a lower level of requirement, probably even a MW requirement instead, NOT disable the option to get any of them without Fate!

--
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
+4 link
Gillsing
Gillsing

22 days ago
Loiathal wrote:
Unrelated to Hallowmas, but pressing Enter when saving something to your journal should confirm saving it to the journal, but instead it presses the "onward" button, preventing you from saving the text and (possibly) preventing you from finishing reading it.

Ah, so that's why pressing Enter got me out of a constantly idling button animation because I had put in too much text (I think). The old interface had an obvious hard limit on the number of characters, but this time I can write a lot more... but then if I write too much the limit shows by not actually putting the entry in my journal, and not doing anything else.
0 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

22 days ago
Thinking about the last years requirements I started thinking!
What if we get the confession grind back, but add a new quality which will measure how many the player bought? First one/s will cost, for example, 5 Notability, while the later ones a lot more (9-12?).

This will not leave the newcommers out of this grind (unless too newsmile ), but also give the end players a challenge! If we need a total of X confessions to get everything, make the last two cost something like 9 Notability. Doing so will enable people to sacrifice all their Notability as a final push; even if it will require the Amanuensis card.

If someone will wish to see what Mr Huffam has to offer for any extra confession will either have to grind a lot more (!) or give up on some of the items.

--
+2 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

21 days ago
I'm glad that we're getting a few more confessions for free, but even if we aren't meant to collect everything, this Hallowmas still feels off. There's just nothing to do.

During FotER, we can trade gifts to increase Passion. During FotZ, we can party on Mutton Island and grind Strange Catches. During Election, we can increase our career and learn more about the candidates. During past Hallowmases, we could collect confessions, whether from other players or through Notability. During Sacksmas, we can stock up on pails of snow and Taste of Lacre to get rewards.

This Hallowmas, we sit around and wait. That's it. We wait for the daily trickle of seasonal currency, but there's no way to earn more. There's no way to participate. Not only can we not do everything for free, we can't do anything in the first place. And when there's nothing to accomplish, there's no sense of accomplishment, so why bother spending Fate?

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+6 link
Isaac Gates
Isaac Gates

21 days ago
Getting off the subject of Hallowmas for a moment (think the general concensus is in: great lore, *terrible* implementation)- when exactly am I going to be able to modify & delete journal entries again? There's a typo in there that's going to nag at me until I'm given a means to either fix or dispose of it.
edited by Isaac Gates on 10/25/2018

--
"What claim has your piety on my deference?"

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Isaac%20Gates
+1 link
phryne
phryne

19 days ago
I really like this new Hallowmas so far! It's a lot more fun already than last year's, which was a bit boring iirc. Also, as a casual player, I don't feel overwhelmed - seems like I can get everything done even when I'm logging in only once or twice a day, which is a good thing. smile

--
"Expect little, and little will disappoint you. But day after day, I expect as little as I can, as little as I can bring myself to, and still I find myself disappointed."
+3 link
Jermaine Vendredi
Jermaine Vendredi

19 days ago
@ phryne
That applies to me, too. Like last year, I decided to make a choice among the new companions on offer and aim for that. It takes all the frantic out of it, and you can just enjoy the story -- plus, this year, there is actually a story! All good.

--
No plant battles, please.
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Jermion
+2 link
Monara
Monara

18 days ago
I'm a relatively new player (active since less than 1 year ago) and I am also disappointed with the lack of anything to do this Hallowmas. It's my first time seeing the event and I was looking forward to doing something else than the usual grind for a week. Seeing how the festival worked in previous years, I am really confused with the choices made by FBG here. It seems absolutely noone had a problem with the notability 5 grind, but that was for seemingly no reason increased to 8. This resulted in a lot of protest from players because of the difficulty of obtaining all the rewards. As a response to that the bizarre choice was made to... make it impossible to obtain all the rewards? And participation in the event itself now consists of... doing nothing until the 31st.
Even the fate option to obtain more rewards seems pointless because it's most likely much more expensive (both in fate and echoes) than it will be to simply buy the companions next year. This just feels totally backwards to me. The option to buy previous rewards for fate should be a way for completionists to get things they failed to obtain by playing normally. Instead it is the optimal way to play the event with no alternative offered for non-fate players.
edited by Monara on 10/28/2018

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Miranah
+5 link
Nikita Nopants
Nikita Nopants

18 days ago
I've been trying to figure out how/where to collect confessions. It says you can get a new one every day, but I can't seem to locate the option to get confessions. I did visit every location on the map, but didn't see it anywhere. Is there something I need to do before I can see it again? I saw it once, and then the game sent me five free confessions, but I've been looking for them since then. Are they on cards? What am I missing?
0 link
dov
dov

18 days ago
Nikita Nopants wrote:
I've been trying to figure out how/where to collect confessions. It says you can get a new one every day..

Every *weekday*. i.e not on weekends.

--
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+1 link
Aubergion
Aubergion

9 days ago
Off the topic of Hallowmas: it would be nice if being London's [Nerves/Sinew/etc] or even being a paramount presence would permanently raise a player's stat cap. I'm so nervous about using the 15 notability stat raise because I'm terrified I'll misclick and ruin months of work...

--
Aubergion - Author-turned-Midnighter, perspicacious and flirtatious. Life is the only game that matters. Always available for friendly interactions - chess welcomed, loitering discouraged.

Lord Castameer - perpetually searching for answers, a name, acknowledgement, truth, recompense, retribution ------- a reckoning. Loitering and cats welcomed.
+2 link
Monara
Monara

6 days ago
it would be nice if being London's [Nerves/Sinew/etc] or even being a paramount presence would permanently raise a player's stat cap

This has been requested over and over ever since the option appeared. I wouldn't hold my breath.
I decided to just raise each stat once to gain the associated paramount quality/courier's footprint/poet laureate etc. and just stop caring about it otherwise.
As long as there are still unlabeled stat losses in the game I don't treat this as a serious option for permanent stat increase, but just a one time thing to help with especially difficult challenges.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Miranah
+2 link
Isaac Gates
Isaac Gates

6 days ago
You'd think the *least* they could do is make all stat losses labled. Otherwise it just comes across as a colossal & pointless f--k you.

--
"What claim has your piety on my deference?"

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Isaac%20Gates
0 link
xKiv
xKiv

4 days ago
Isaac Gates wrote:
You'd think the *least* they could do is make all stat losses labled. Otherwise it just comes across as a colossal & pointless f--k you.

In the previous ex.story, there's a point where [spoiler]the fingerkings[/spoiler] demonstrate their power to your character, by taking complete control of that character.
It is also a forced "choose which quirk you will lose" point for people like me. I take this as a demonstration of power from failbetter (we can ruin your character any time we choose ... and look, we do!).

--
https://www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/xKiv - a witchful, percussive, dangermous and shadowry scholar of coexplodence, hopsidirean, and walker of fallen kitties.
+1 link