Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London

Deep. Dark. Marvellous. Our biggest and best-loved game.

Feedback Messages in this topic - RSS

EscapistEscapade
EscapistEscapade

7/5/2018
Jermaine Vendredi wrote:
You can upgrade the raven and once you have your little raven collection, get rid of it.
Or think of it as money with feathers and sell it for the echoes.

It'd be nice to have something in your weekly reward that isn't just useless other than for money. It might aswell just be money, then. And the uselessness comes from the profession item itself making it obsolete, which seems poorly planned, and was not always the case when the Raven was still a game referral item. That use of it has been removed, with no replacement, making it a rather poor professional reward for someone already receiving a Companion from their profession. You also get a Lucky Weasel, but those at least still retain other uses, and don't require investments to upgrade them to something still inferior to the tier 2 professional item.

I'm also not really looking to be personally consoled about the quality of my professional reward, but rather looking for an improvement. Simply: the Raven Advisor is an INTERESTING item, but it's proliferation is abysmal simply because its most accessible source is the Trickster professional rewards (barring straight out purchase), where they remain stuck to that person, generally of little use to them even after upgrading, and every week another one is uselessly added to the pile, with no way to share them with London at large to get people that would be interested in experiencing them or could benefit from their use (for either stats or at the very least, their card's non-upgrade related option.)
It's essentially a waste of the items experience in both oversupplying Tricksters with endless, useless copies and undersupplying the rest of players with coming across them in a curious manner similar to cats or panther kittens that involves social interaction.
edited by EscapistEscapade on 7/5/2018

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Escapist%20Escapade Crooked Cross available for speaking engagements for your Salon
0 link
CogDiss
CogDiss

7/17/2018
There's a major continuity error if you complete the Last Constable storyline in certain ways before the Nemesis storyline.

[spoiler]I encountered and conversed with the Cheery Man again after he died.[/spoiler]

--
Joss Marr - Writer, investigator, scholar, lover of truth and justice, enemy of ignorance and corruption, cynic and idealist
+4 link
Gul al-Ahlaam
Gul al-Ahlaam

7/27/2018
I love love love the Season of Adorations, but would it be possible to change the main tracker qualities for those stories from hidden to visible? It's really nice to get a permanent memento of the story and the ending you chose that you can show off on your mantlepiece. Thanks so much! ^_^

• --
    The Uncanny Hierophant.
  • +2 link
    phryne
    phryne

8/24/2018
    The Fruits of the Zee festival needs some love! At this point it seems like the unwanted stepchild among Fallen London's festivals. I know FBG have their hands full with a multitude of things. I also know they've had to cut staff at the beginning of the year. What I'm saying is, even though I'm disappointed I kind of understand their reasons. But I really do hope they'll give next year's FotZ a chunk of new content and/or equipment (I'd choose content over equipment, just saying). Because this festival is actually really cool, when you've got something to go for! smile

--
    "Expect little, and little will disappoint you. But day after day, I expect as little as I can, as little as I can bring myself to, and still I find myself disappointed."
    +5 link
    Skinnyman
    Skinnyman

8/24/2018
    phryne wrote:
    The Fruits of the Zee *snop* this festival is actually really cool, when you've got something to go for! smile

Must agree here! It was my first festival in FL and I was really pleased with the fishing mechanics, RNG hunting, but all balanced. Even if I was a newcomer I managed to get all items in ~7 days.

Yes, throw more love here, FBG! smile I'll buy the armoured rat next year. Or probably this one, I don't know! But he needs a companion.

--
    I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
    No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
    Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
    +3 link
    Ragnar Degenhand
    Ragnar Degenhand

8/25/2018
    I've been; it's my favourite festival!

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Ragnar%20Degenhand
    +2 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

8/25/2018
    I will also cast a vote towards the festival. Even if it was meant to promote Sunless Sea, it is now a part of Fallen London, and I would love it if we could do more with it - even if by 'more' we only mean fishing goals.

--
    Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
    http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
    +2 link
    IHNIWTR
    IHNIWTR

9/9/2018
    so, I have an issue with the new Forgotten Quarter expeditions. Specifically, the one that nets you a Judgement's Egg.

I feel like it... cheapens the Temple of Uttermost Wind expedition? That whole thing is about wanting to find an Egg and failing, and it turns out you can just have one but be unable to give it to the monk. I mean, even if the Fate locked story were to address this somehow it'd still feel bad - I paid money to fail to find something, or to be being able to supersede the whole thing abd just tell the monk "sure here's what you're looking for?" and the expedition get canceled? it leaves a bad taste.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Daniel%20Vaise
    +3 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond

9/9/2018
    Skinnyman wrote:
    phryne wrote:
    The Fruits of the Zee *snop* this festival is actually really cool, when you've got something to go for! smile

Must agree here! It was my first festival in FL and I was really pleased with the fishing mechanics, RNG hunting, but all balanced. Even if I was a newcomer I managed to get all items in ~7 days.

Yes, throw more love here, FBG! smile I'll buy the armoured rat next year. Or probably this one, I don't know! But he needs a companion.

I love the FotZ fishing mechanic, and the snarky text about your catches (a fish with pedipalps! Imagine!), but it's not as much fun when there is nothing new, rare or unexpected that might be obtainable with your catches. Fortunately, the "Empty Chair" allowed me to bank more Extraordinary Implications, and get more Incunabula, than usual this year.

--
    Cathy Raymond
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/cathyr19355

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
    +1 link
    Optimatum
    Optimatum

9/9/2018
    IHNIWTR wrote:
    so, I have an issue with the new Forgotten Quarter expeditions. Specifically, the one that nets you a Judgement's Egg.

I feel like it... cheapens the Temple of Uttermost Wind expedition? That whole thing is about wanting to find an Egg and failing, and it turns out you can just have one but be unable to give it to the monk. I mean, even if the Fate locked story were to address this somehow it'd still feel bad - I paid money to fail to find something, or to be being able to supersede the whole thing abd just tell the monk "sure here's what you're looking for?" and the expedition get canceled? it leaves a bad taste.

So this one's a bit weird, because the Judgement's Egg item was added to the game after the expedition—it's actually irrelevant here.

[spoiler]
    The priest isn't disappointed because he failed to find what he's looking for. He's disappointed because he did find what he wanted, but he was expecting some incredible sacred object, from which gods are born. Instead it's just... a soul. Sure, it's a fancier soul than normal; but this is Fallen London and souls are everywhere. So the priest was expecting something less mundane.[/spoiler]

--
    Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
    +3 link
    Ragged Andrew
    Ragged Andrew

10/9/2018
    Not sure if I'm doing this correctly or not, haven't used a forum in a while.
    Anyway, I cannot seem to buy Fate.
    I punch in the information, everything is green and good to go, but when I hit the purchase button, it'll spin for a couple of seconds and then nothing will happen.
    I'm...slightly worried that if I keep pressing my luck, I'll end up with a large bill and a mountain of Fate. (And I need fate because out of a 90% chance to succeed, I manage to fail and now a devil have procured my soul. I want it back. But that's a story for another time...)
    Anyone else having this issue?

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Ragged%20Andrew
    Ragged Andrew! A gentleman and a scholar with a penchant of making horrible decisions.
    0 link
    babelfishwars
    babelfishwars
    Administrator

10/9/2018
    Ragged Andrew wrote:
    Not sure if I'm doing this correctly or not, haven't used a forum in a while.
    Anyway, I cannot seem to buy Fate.
    I punch in the information, everything is green and good to go, but when I hit the purchase button, it'll spin for a couple of seconds and then nothing will happen.
    I'm...slightly worried that if I keep pressing my luck, I'll end up with a large bill and a mountain of Fate. (And I need fate because out of a 90% chance to succeed, I manage to fail and now a devil have procured my soul. I want it back. But that's a story for another time...)
    Anyone else having this issue?

For issues like this (and any bugs), please contact support: support@failbettergames.com
    We do check here, but only erratically, and try not to comment as we don't want to shape the dialogue.

edited by babelfishwars on 10/9/2018

--
    Mars, God of Fish; Leaning Tower of Fish
    +1 link
    GuesssWho
    GuesssWho

10/12/2018
    I've figured out why I hate the new version.

It's a mobile site. You couldn't make an app, so you forced an app on us.

--
    DO you recall how the Hunger began?
    I'm sorry, my darling, I don't think I can!
    FROM past the High Wilderness and beyond
    I think I'll go Seeking, for of Him I'm fond.
    --The Elfin Cannibal

Bohemian. Revolutionary. Fond of Rubbery Men. Carefully friendly towards He In The Well.
    +3 link
    Mr Sables
    Mr Sables

10/12/2018
    GuesssWho wrote:

I don't why people are voting you down.

I agree with you.

The desktop version is pretty much the same as the mobile version, from what I can tell, so it very much has an "app" feel. It's bulky, with huge gaps between options, and the colour contrast is rather weak and makes differentiating options from opening text and so forth difficult . . . I stopped logging on, even to collect my TtH, as it's just so difficult to have to scroll up/down and try to focus on what's what with dodgy eyesight.

I just logged on, to be certain of what I'm saying.

The banner alone takes up 3/4 of my screen.

I scroll down and the options for each storylet are an off-grey colour, but on a grey background, and the fonts are small without any boldness, so the text is difficult to separate from the background, so I'm straining to read and struggling to tell where things start or begin.

Along with complaints for the visually impaired, it's proven that people with astigmatism struggle with white-on-black text, and - lo and behold - I cannot read the quality names . . . I can read them okay with glasses, but it's still a strain, in regards to "Watchful" and "Dangerous" etc.

The options are each so large and bulky, some locations take forever to scroll to the bottom.

The font, size, colour, and background for echoes makes it hard/impossible to read, too.

There are no longer social actions insofar as the "Who's Here" section that used to be there, which means making friends is a lot harder unless you're a hardcore or long-term player than has access to the social media (forums, chats, etc.)

My messages are a lot smaller and a thinner font, with less contrast - again, harder to read.

"Myself" looks cluttered.

It takes time to switch between tabs, there's a lag.

The "possessions" tab wastes a lot of space; leading to a lot of scrolling, again, to create an outfit.

Some buttons, like "sell" are blue on blue . . . I'd have completely colour-blind friends that I doubt would read that or see that.

The "Fate" page is one HUGE list, which makes it harder to find specific content and also requires huge scrolling.

I feel that these change have zero thought for desktop users, as it's so bulky and wasteful of space, but - worst - I feel that there is zero consideration to people with visual impairments . . . I have trouble with this forum at times, although it's not as bad and I think might be able to be tweaked, but at least when I log onto some webpages - only to see stark white on pure black - I can highlight to see better or change modes, but on the new website design there is nothing to help me see better or read better or to cut back on the wasted space on desktop.

On a mobile phone, it might be fine, as I'd have a loooong and narrow screen, so I'd scroll less and see more, but I would like to see the statistics of who uses what, because I don't think the majority of people would use the mobile site more often than desktop . . . even if they do, why alienate and punish dekstop users by not providing a desktop and mobile site. This forum -? Two versions. Tumblr -? Two versions. On every site I use, there is a mobile and desktop version, with you able to flit between the two if you wished, but here I'm forced to use the mobile version on the desktop, for which it is not designed. And it does alienate me as a consumer and makes me less inclined to play as a player.
    +7 link
    Optimatum
    Optimatum

10/12/2018
    Hopefully Failbetter adds accessibility options soon, but in the meantime, I could try my hand at making a more accessible user style. What changes would you suggest I include?

Also, I very much agree that the banner is inconveniently large, so I'm already using this code in Stylus to make it a more manageable size:

[spoiler]
    .banner {
    background-size: contain;
    height: 170px;
    }
    [/spoiler]

Mr Sables wrote:
    GuesssWho wrote:

I agree with you.

Probably because this is a feedback thread, and complaints without detail aren't helpful feedback. While you share the same opinion, your post is highly informative and goes into details on what the issues are. Failbetter is still trying to polish the site, and "the new version sucks" doesn't leave any room for improvement.

--
    Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
    +2 link
    GuesssWho
    GuesssWho

10/12/2018
    Optimatum wrote:

Mr Sables wrote:
    GuesssWho wrote:

I agree with you.

Probably because this is a feedback thread, and complaints without detail aren't helpful feedback. While you share the same opinion, your post is highly informative and goes into details on what the issues are. Failbetter is still trying to polish the site, and "the new version sucks" doesn't leave any room for improvement.

That was as much detail as I could reasonably provide since this seems to be a qualia issue, or at least it was a summation of everything wrong with it. But if you want details . . .

The style is deeply incompatible with the setting of the game. This is Victorian London, little rounded icons and hover text should be anathema.

The splitting of the self and possessions into two tabs has made them each inexplicably longer than both were together.

Everything still loads like spilled molasses, but now I have to look at slightly uglier and/or less fitting pictures while I wait.
    edited by GuesssWho on 10/12/2018

--
    DO you recall how the Hunger began?
    I'm sorry, my darling, I don't think I can!
    FROM past the High Wilderness and beyond
    I think I'll go Seeking, for of Him I'm fond.
    --The Elfin Cannibal

Bohemian. Revolutionary. Fond of Rubbery Men. Carefully friendly towards He In The Well.
    +1 link
    Gillsing
    Gillsing

10/12/2018
    GuesssWho wrote:
    This is Victorian London, little rounded icons and hover text should be anathema.
    But hover text was already there in the old version, wasn't it? And what would you replace it with? No text at all? An attempt to fit all that text into the page, with the rest of everything that's already there? A link to a page where an urchin recites the former hover text in a charming Victorian accent?

So far I'm still getting used to the new site. It is slightly more convenient to immediately be able to click "Contacts" in the "Myself" tab instead of having to first scroll down to reach that option. The search options are very handy as well, but mostly in the Bazaar, because in my 1280x960 resolution I have to scroll down to reach that option in the "Myself" tab.

It would be awfully convenient to have storylets that contain planned options (check-marked) float up to the top at each location.
    +7 link
    Isaac Gates
    Isaac Gates

23 days ago
    There *really* needs to be a fifth equipment preset in the possessions tab.

I assume everyone else has it set up the same way I do- one for each primary stat. The thing is, there's another stat that becomes vitally important in the late game: BDR. And having to swap out one of your equipment sets to either made BDR checks or pull off a very difficult skill check is supremely irritating.

Either give me a fifth slot for "formal wear" or just give me a non descript "custom" slot *please*.
    edited by Isaac Gates on 10/23/2018

--
    "What claim has your piety on my deference?"

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Isaac%20Gates
    +4 link
    Optimatum
    Optimatum

23 days ago
    So. About the Hallowmas changes.

On the one hand, we have the Plot side of the event. Lore, interacting with characters, getting items, etc in exchange for confessions. The last couple years felt like we were following the mechanics without much reason. Collect these confessions and upgrade your companions Just Because. Feducci wants confessions for a cool item Just Because. The confessions gave lore, but it wasn't relevant to what we were doing.

This year is so much better. We have a cohesive theme for the event! We have characters with motivations tied to what we're doing! We're collecting confessions so we can solve a Mystery, and maybe help out these factions as well! We're not mysteriously upgrading companions, we're helping characters in return for their influence! It's really interesting and much more mechanically engaging. Failbetter said we'd love the changes, and in that they were spot on.

On the other hand, we have the Grinding side. Following the Plot requires spending confessions, so we need to acquire them. Except... this year, there's no way to grind them. We get 12 free confessions as time passes. We can get a couple more for betraying factions, although doing so first requires spending confessions, and may lock some of the Plot. Aside from that? We have to spend money.

Last year's Notability grind for confessions was painful and ridiculous, but it was there. This year, we need at least 46 Confessions to do everything, and the only way to grind them is Fate. Even with betrayals, that's 30 Confessions at 15 Fate each! That's 450 Fate total! I'm very seriously considering just buying the Private Debating Lessons and not participating in the rest of the festival. If we're forced to pay Fate to get all the companions, why bother getting them now? They'll be cheaper next year.
    edited by Optimatum on 10/24/2018

--

+12 link
    Loiathal
    Loiathal

23 days ago
    Optimatum wrote:

Last year's Notability grind for confessions was painful and ridiculous, but it was there.

My account is currently a bit buggy from last year's Hallowmas so I'm unable to get confessions so far (support ticket already filed, no worries there), but I have to agree. I've spent Fate on holiday events before when I couldn't quite grind out the things I wanted, but anytime it's "spend money, or skip it", I usually skip it.

I'm an end game player who's completed most of the grinds in the game (minus Cider), so grinding Notability wasn't a big deal to me-- in fact, it was kind of interesting last year, as a way to spend some of the resources I collect all year in services of getting those time limited items. I realize there are two competing design goals here: give end game players a way to spend lots of resources so they can do a lot more, and also don't let newer players feel locked out of the event. But that's my two cents on it.
    +2 link