Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London

Deep. Dark. Marvellous. Our biggest and best-loved game.

Feedback Messages in this topic - RSS

slickriptide
slickriptide
Posts: 96

23 days ago
Why does the web client let you record practically everything in your journal while the mobile client only lets you record events, but not results of the events? I'm thinking I should just ditch the mobile app because of this limitation.

***EDIT***

Just to punctuate this feedback - I just now received four long paragraphs from the Numismatrix about coins, fallen cities, Masters, etc... and now it's totally lost because I couldn't journal it.

It's unfair that a web site user can save these important bits but a mobile client user isn't allowed to. Yes, "allowed" is the proper word, considering that there seems to be no impediment to saving the events that lead to the results. The silly thing is that the results are, by and large, the bits that are worth recording in a journal.
edited by slickriptide on 7/25/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Slickriptide
+5 link
aegisaglow
aegisaglow
Posts: 172

13 days ago
For the new chess matches, it should be possible to call off a chess match when the other player is "somewhere else". I've been stuck in one match for about a week because the other party has been out of London the whole time, and it's to the point where I'd rather drop it and accept another invitation, but I can't.

Of course, being able to play multiple matches simultaneously would be greatly preferable, unless there's some server-side reason that's infeasible.
edited by aegisaglow on 8/3/2017
0 link
Pumpkinhead
Pumpkinhead
Posts: 454

13 days ago
aegisaglow wrote:


Of course, being able to play multiple matches simultaneously would be greatly preferable, unless there's some server-side reason that's infeasible.

I think that the way the trackers work currently, it would be nigh on impossible to do play more than one person

--
McGunn/Bsymstad is open to social actions. Will usually respond because he has nothing better to do at the moment, except when zailing.
Amanda Albright is a *spoiler* now, like she always wanted.
0 link
Harlocke
Harlocke
Posts: 466

13 days ago
aegisaglow wrote:
For the new chess matches, it should be possible to call off a chess match when the other player is &quotsomewhere else&quot. I've been stuck in one match for about a week because the other party has been out of London the whole time, and it's to the point where I'd rather drop it and accept another invitation, but I can't.

Of course, being able to play multiple matches simultaneously would be greatly preferable, unless there's some server-side reason that's infeasible.
edited by aegisaglow on 8/3/2017


You can cancel chess matches. It's in the same area where you send invites.

--
I welcome social actions, and can visit your salon as an author.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Harlocke
0 link
Robin Alexander
Robin Alexander
Posts: 492

10 days ago
Can "Duelling the Black Ribbon" be fixed?

My new alt has to go "onward" on almost every result, causing me to have to click to get back onto the storylet, click to go to the right bit, and then click the option I want . . . when - if it just acted as a 'try again' or automatically went back to that section - I'd save so much time and it'd be far less frustrating. The preparation is extremely irritating, made more so by having to unlock high levels to get to the next "Making Your Name", and making it very repetitive and taking way longer than it should for the multiple unnecessary clicks.

--
Robin Alexander - Main
Benjamin Parker - Seeker (Alt)
Lucius Parker - Son of Benjamin Parker (Alt)

Open to all social actions.
+1 link
A Dimness
A Dimness
Posts: 587

10 days ago
Minor suggestion but one I feel the game would benefit from either way:

Allow for the use of apostrophes when renaming pets. I want to name my Extravagantly-Titled Tigress "The Tiger-Keeper's Wife" but I can't (upset), and "The Wife of the Tiger-Keeper" doesn't have quite the nice ring to it.

--
A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence
+2 link
colinsapherson
colinsapherson
Posts: 183

10 days ago
Infinity Simulacrum wrote:
Minor suggestion but one I feel the game would benefit from either way:

Allow for the use of apostrophes when renaming pets. I want to name my Extravagantly-Titled Tigress "The Tiger-Keeper's Wife" but I can't (upset), and "The Wife of the Tiger-Keeper" doesn't have quite the nice ring to it.


While I agree it would be nice, you can sort-of get round it by inserting an acute accent (unicode 0180), which just looks like a more severe apostrophe.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Colin%20Sapherson%2c%20Lord%20President%20of%20the%20Council
Available for Knife & Candle Moon League matches, Tournaments of lilies and other social actions (including boxed cats and photographers).
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Strangewheys~Wandering
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/RUSKIN~WARE
+3 link
Lorelai
Lorelai
Posts: 31

6 days ago
I've said this before and I'll say it again:

The conversion from connected to renown should not change the difficulty level of the storylets that required a certain amount of connection to do them. The fact that people who had the required amount of connected for a storylet before the conversion but do not have the required renown for it AFTER the conversion is infuriating. If you had just enough connected for storylets that used to cost ~20 connected and now cost ~10 renown, there is no faction at ALL that would leave you enough renown to still access the storylet without a long grind.

I am incredibly, incandescently upset to be currently locked out of MULTIPLE storylets that I had already done the grind for, especially as the new grind I am stuck doing is harder and guaranteed to take longer both action-wise and timewise because of the luck requirement to gain favors. Adding in the fact that all of the items needed to increase renown cost at LEAST 30 echos, and up to 62 echos? This doesn't feel like a conversion, it feels like a punishment for not going above and far beyond the requirements needed to access basic parts of the game.
+4 link
IHNIWTR
IHNIWTR
Posts: 316

5 days ago
this is very nitpicky, but I think is weird that the calendar council doesn't know of you even though you can potentially interact with them in several storylines, fate locked and otherwise

you have potentially extensive engagement with February, for instance. should the 25-49 renown: revolutionaries maybe be changed to reflect that somehow?

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Daniel%20Vaise
0 link
Màiread
Màiread
Posts: 323

5 days ago
So last night I lost my hard-earned 15 hedonist...by being nice to some clay men. There was no indication that this would happen, and no logical reason why being a decent human being would somehow represent a change in my personality sufficient to overturn a lifetime of carefully cultivated choices. My understanding all that time ago when quirks were changed and capped was that the new system was supposed to reflect meaningful player choices, but many of these quirk-damaging options are both poorly signalled and narratively illogical. This problem has become even more obvious with the new renown system. I have three small points.

1) Quirk-eating options should be clearly labelled, if not mechanically ('this will lower your hedonist') at least narratively. I shouldn't have to check every blasted opportunity card on the wiki.

2) High level quirks (say 10 or 12+) should be protected from these sort of 'minor' alterations. It is one thing to lose your reputation for magnanimity after an extended bout of piracy; it is quite another to have a lifetime of indulgence overturned because you are nice to your employees (not least as the liberty of hedonism and care for the plight of the oppressed are hardly mutually exclusive).

3) We really need alternative ways of raising renown that don't mess up quirks with no regard to player choice, or at least have options within the renown items that offer a bit more flexibility (surely I could improve my reputation among society folks without going against every one of my morals). Màiread has spent her entire career in the Neath avoiding heartless actions and pursuing magnanimous ones. Before the latest conversion I had a close relationship with Society. Now that close relationship has been transformed into little more than a passing acquaintance, merely because I was unable and unwilling to win the connection grinding arms race. In order to restore my previous relationship, I have no choice but to gain heartless (something I've desperately avoided) and lose magnanimous. This is daft.

--
Màiread - Correspondent, composer, lover of cats. Can probably bake you a d__n fine cake.

Useful Links: Traveller's Friend (Progress Tracker & Notability Calculator) | phryne's Guide to Favours & Renown |

Peggy the Nowoman lived to see the Feast. Thank you for the memories, Snow Lady.

I'm happy to accept most social actions except for lethal sparring and loitering suspiciously. Please challenge my plant! Currently seeking calling cards and watchful protégés.
+2 link
Siankan
Siankan
Posts: 297

5 days ago
I'm not sure that I agree with everything here, but

Màiread wrote:
2) High level quirks (say 10 or 12+) should be protected from these sort of 'minor' alterations. It is one thing to lose your reputation for magnanimity after an extended bout of piracy; it is quite another to have a lifetime of indulgence overturned because you are nice to your employees.

I concur. The non-mechanical rationale behind caps on certain actions raising your quirks is once you're pronouncedly Magnanimous or what have you, these things are no longer signs of developing character; they're just what you do. Refusing to aid a person in distressed might be a sign that a normal person is becoming more Heartless, but it's small business to someone who betrays people as a professional pursuit. This logic works the other way, too. A churchman with commanding self-control might find his Austere manner eroding if he starts running around with the Young Stags every Tuesday, but sharing a bottle with a few third-rate poets should not threaten his hard-won discipline. Things that only lower a quirk by 1-2 CP should probably not affect high quirks, especially when the complementary quirk is not raised because of a cap.

(Moreover, and unlike many suggestions, I think this is reasonably doable from a programming perspective. The same mechanism that controls gain caps probably can be used to cap penalties.)
Màiread wrote:
3) We really need alternative ways of raising renown that don't mess up quirks with no regard to player choice, or at least have options within the renown items that offer a bit more flexibility (surely I could improve my reputation among society folks without going against every one of my morals). Màiread has spent her entire career in the Neath avoiding heartless actions and pursuing magnanimous ones. Before the latest conversion I had a close relationship with Society. Now that close relationship has been transformed into little more than a passing acquaintance, merely because I was unable and unwilling to win the connection grinding arms race. In order to restore my previous relationship, I have no choice but to gain heartless (something I've desperately avoided) and lose magnanimous. This is daft.

There's some delicate balancing here, because improving renown is a key way to get quirks up to 15, and it's important that there be avenues for many different quirks. If you're raising everything more or less together, you can probably repair the quirk damage from one faction by raising another, but for those of us who were grandfathered into the system (which currently means everyone with an account older than 72 hours) it's probable that we have some factions of interest which are far ahead of others. Once I've reached the effective max renown for everything that grants Subtle, how will I repair damage from Forceful factions that damage it? There are ways, I know, but considering how many times you would have to repair it, that's a considerable annoyance.

Now, I'm not saying that a quirk at 15 should be entirely sacrosanct; sometimes players want to change their characters, and they should have avenues to do so. However, I do think that an action which can damage a level 15 quirk should be an optional act that is labeled as such, not something that people feel obligated to do in order to pursue some unrelated goal. Where factions are closely related to a certain quirk (e.g. the Church and Austere), then I can entirely see that quirk being affected as a necessary consequence of becoming closer to them. (Don't get me started on the Bohemians.) However, when there is no clear association (as with Society), then I think Màiread's suggestion is quite fair. After all, one of the ways to become closest to Society is to rehabilitate a dynasty in disrepute, which both is and requires Magnanimous. It seems strange that becoming more renown to Society makes it harder to become closest to them.

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+3 link
xKiv
xKiv
Posts: 710

5 days ago
Màiread wrote:

2) High level quirks (say 10 or 12+) should be protected from these sort of 'minor' alterations.


I am pretty sure FBG's idea of protecting high quirks is ... quirk polishers.
Yes, when the game destroys your hard-won qualities, you are supposed to let it destroy some other hard-win qualities even more.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/xKiv - a witchful, percussive, dangermous and shadowry scholar of coexplodence, hopsidirean, and walker of fallen kitties.
0 link
Meradine Heidenreich
Meradine Heidenreich
Posts: 235

4 days ago
I still have no idea what quirk polishers are. Could someone be so kind and explain?

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Meradine%20Heidenreich

The Starveling kit
Gobbled up the bit
of cheese on my tray ..
"O Weh!"

No plant battles, please.
0 link
Màiread
Màiread
Posts: 323

4 days ago
@Meradine: Whoops, lost my original reply to you! Quirk polishers are options on the renown items (tiny jewelled reliquary etc) that let you boost a quirk you already have at 12 or above by 15CP in exchange for losing 15CP from an opposing quirk. The problem is usually getting your quirk from 10 to 12 so you can use it.

@Siankan: Thank you for your contribution. Exactly as you say, I'm not of the opinion that high level quirks should be completely sacrosanct either - behaviour changes, ruthless people sometimes show great kindness, morally upstanding characters may be tempted into cruelty, and quirks should reflect that. Your explanation of the 'one off instance of charity' versus a 'habit' makes a lot of sense to me! It does seem like the mechanics are already partially in place. I'm also perfectly happy to have renown items affect quirks - it's a good, logical system by and large - but I do think there's an issue with the way a fundamentally narrative system (quirks) has been entangled with a fundamentally mechanical system (renown) and at the moment it makes an uncomfortable marriage. Right now of the 12 items 3 raise subtle, 3 raise steadfast and the others raise one of Hedonist, Magnanimous, Ruthless, Melancholy, Daring or Heartless. It seems to me there's room for alternative paths there (on a personal note, I'm super sad I can't get from daring 10 to 12 because I got 50 renown with the Urchins, but I digress). I wouldn't mind if the option to raise renown without ruining my quirks was a bit more expensive (well, I would *mind*, but I'd understand it as a design decision), but it does seem odd that the *only* way to currently restore my relationship with Society is to be a complete git.

  • edited by Màiread on 8/12/2017

    --
    Màiread - Correspondent, composer, lover of cats. Can probably bake you a d__n fine cake.

    Useful Links: Traveller's Friend (Progress Tracker & Notability Calculator) | phryne's Guide to Favours & Renown |

    Peggy the Nowoman lived to see the Feast. Thank you for the memories, Snow Lady.

    I'm happy to accept most social actions except for lethal sparring and loitering suspiciously. Please challenge my plant! Currently seeking calling cards and watchful protégés.
  • 0 link
    Optimatum
    Optimatum
    Posts: 2544

    4 days ago
    Now that all the relevant factions are converted, can we please have Call in Favours in the Flit made into a storylet again? The whole point of favours is that they're fluid resources, not something you can hoard effectively. For that to actually work as intended, we need accessible ways to spend our favours! Since almost every cash-in is card-based, most factions have a Call in Favours storylet somewhere. Urchins, Revolutionaries, and Criminals have nothing.

    I get that Call in Favours in the Flit was originally changed to a card to balance how unusually profitable it was. But we're using favours now. The resource is inherently card-based; why should the cash-in be as well?

    --
    Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman

    PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
    +4 link
    Meradine Heidenreich
    Meradine Heidenreich
    Posts: 235

    3 days ago
    @ Màiread -- Many thanks!

    --
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Meradine%20Heidenreich

    The Starveling kit
    Gobbled up the bit
    of cheese on my tray ..
    "O Weh!"

    No plant battles, please.
    0 link




    Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.0.2.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software