Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London

Deep. Dark. Marvellous. Our biggest and best-loved game.

Mysteries Closure Messages in this topic - RSS

Flyte
Flyte
Administrator

1/31/2014
The mysteries tab will close at last at around 12pm GMT today. Someone will be awarding a small quantity of Fate for correct answers. If you haven't filled them in -- or perhaps, devised an ingenious explanation of the absence of foxes from the Fifth City -- a short time yet remains.
edited by Flyte on 1/31/2014
+2 link
Sir Frederick
Sir Frederick
Administrator

1/31/2014
Finally, my theory that they died off through limited food supplies and pressure from predators is gonna pay off!

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
+17 link
Lady Red
Lady Red

1/31/2014
Oooh, exciting! Looking forward to the answers!

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lady~Red
+2 link
Blackleaf
Blackleaf

1/31/2014
The mysteries seems to have closed now and a new graphic for the tabs have been updated. Also, Good luck everyone!

• edited by Blackleaf on 1/31/2014

--
    No cats or investigations of photographers please.
    Same goes for Sparring,Loitering,Suppers and Games of chess! Sure I'll accept them occasionaly but I wont help you grind them most of the time.
    But calling cards are highly welcome! (Got too much influence for cards at the moment. Sorry!)
    Character profile can be found here: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Blackleaf
    Ware serpents and know spires.
  • 0 link
    Alexis Kennedy
    Alexis Kennedy

1/31/2014
    Mr Flyte is now assessing your responses. There are 402,428 answers, and unfortunately we do have to allow him time to eat and sleep, but we should be finished by the summer of 2031.

• +25 link
    Pyrodinium
    Pyrodinium

1/31/2014
    Alexis Kennedy wrote:
    Mr Flyte is now assessing your responses. There are 402,428 answers, and unfortunately we do have to allow him time to eat and sleep, but we should be finished by the summer of 2031.

• Well I hope you got cellars full of Darkdrop Coffee back there.

• --
    My profiles: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Pyrodinium
    (A Monster hunter on the hunt of his twin brother's killer. Overprotective dad of his twin's daughter)
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Rudolph~of~Taured
    (an indeterminate person of potentially rubbery lineage)
    * All social actions except photographers and loitering welcome!
  • +7 link
    Snowskeeper
    Snowskeeper

1/31/2014
    Alexis Kennedy wrote:

• Technically you do have to allow him time to sleep, but there's no rules against promising to unleash a sorrow-spider into the room if he tries it.

• --
    S.F., a midnight midnighter and invisible eminence. Impossible to locate them, personally, but there are dead drops and agents.
  • +3 link
    Sir Frederick
    Sir Frederick
    Administrator

1/31/2014
    I hope that the best incorrect answers will be shared here, looking like the manifesto of London's wildest conspiracy theorist.

--
    Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
    Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
    FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
    +22 link
    NiteBrite
    NiteBrite

1/31/2014
    I will be very surprised if any of my answers are, such as "ratcolocation" or "the continent of rat america" turn out to be correct haha.

--
    I AM currently accepting calling cards.
    Stats loss counter: reset, irrigo equivalent: none
    [00:34] <@ortab> NiteBrite's laugh is that of a condemned soul gazing into the abyss.
    Merciless Modiste avatar by Paul Arendt (based on an original image by Joe England)
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TheBriteModiste
    +9 link
    ladymadsci
    ladymadsci

2/1/2014
    Alexis Kennedy wrote:

• You do mean the summer of 2013, yes? There must be some great secret to having them in by yesterday. ; )

--
    {quiet smile} behind you
    +2 link
    Inky Petrel
    Inky Petrel

2/1/2014
    Oh dear, poor Flyte. I hope they are at least entertained by some of the conspiracies while being force-fed darkdrop coffee and menaced by spiders :p

--
    Re: Fallen London, please don't invite me to things or send me things, I'm only on occasionally, so you will waste your candle smile Thank you.
    +2 link
    lady ciel
    lady ciel

2/1/2014
    Alexis Kennedy wrote:

Oh my - that is a lot of answers. Poor Flyte. To be honest I wonder how may of those are active players or people who have left Fallen London for one reason or another.
    Well good luck and I hope at least some of them provide amusement wink

--
    ciel

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome though loitering might be inconvenient at times. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

storynexus name - reveurciel
    0 link
    RandomWalker
    RandomWalker

2/1/2014
    It shouldn't be THAT bad. I seem to recall that about eight questions have pretty easy-to-parse answers - convert the answers to the Ladybones Road question into a .csv, open in Excel, sort/filter around Marylebone (and the related misspellings if you're feeling generous), flag the winners, scan the rest for amusing mistakes and unusual misspellings and then move on. Say half an hour per, if you're feeling generous with the various possible typos.

The trickier ones should still be handleable via keywords and the like, or at least the major errors can be eliminated - if the foxes didn't all die due to being eaten by bats, it should be fairly easy to find all cases of the word 'bats' and flag them as wrong. Word cloud software can give hints on the keywords to search for. You should be able to eliminate a significant number of wrong answers that way, leaving the tedious maybe-right/maybe-wrong questions for the poor Mr Flyte.

Not having seen the dataset, it might be more ghastly then I'm imagining, but I suspect the data to have relatively low entropy. The 'what did other people say' option will likely mean that most people will seize upon the most popular answer, encouraging large blocks of almost word-for-word identical text, which should be relatively easy to handle.
    edited by RandomWalker on 2/1/2014
    +1 link
    Pyrodinium
    Pyrodinium

2/1/2014
    Inky Petrel wrote:
    Oh dear, poor Flyte. I hope they are at least entertained by some of the conspiracies while being force-fed darkdrop coffee and menaced by spiders :p

• Well he get to have "Time in bed" once he had too much coffee in his system. However, I do suggest that he keep an eye out for those spiders while he rests. smile

--
    My profiles: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Pyrodinium
    (A Monster hunter on the hunt of his twin brother's killer. Overprotective dad of his twin's daughter)
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Rudolph~of~Taured
    (an indeterminate person of potentially rubbery lineage)
    * All social actions except photographers and loitering welcome!
  • 0 link
    Erik Vimes
    Erik Vimes

2/2/2014
    He (or someone else on the team) could make a simple program to search the spectrum of answers for certain answers (and slight variants, like "rats," "Rats," or "RATS!!!"). It would sort out a good portion of the responses as correct, and given the number 402,428, would save a LOT of time.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Eric~Vimes
    +1 link
    dragonridingsorceress
    dragonridingsorceress

2/3/2014
    I do hope the answers will be shared. I know I gave up on being "correct" with my alt, and went for (what I thought were) funny answers.

--
    DragonRidingSorceress is an Author of good standing. Mostly good standing. She's happy to accept any social action except Photographer and Loitering, but requests warnings before duping/poisoning/etc.

Seeker of Names is a... being with an obsession. They're willing to accept all invitations.
    One who seeks to know all that is and may be. One who dances in the silence of the void. One whose fantasies make the reality come alive.
    +1 link
    streetfelineblue
    streetfelineblue

2/3/2014
    I can hardly wait *_*

--
    Twitter: @streetfelineblu
    Blue's LiveJournal
    Blue's Echo Bazaar profile
    Blue's Night Circus diary
    Link to Ocelot's Enigma Ambition hint page; PM for clarification. No direct solutions provided.
    0 link
    Rupho Schartenhauer
    Rupho Schartenhauer

2/5/2014
    On the Messages tab, you can now see how many of your answers were correct!
    I got 16 right! But how many mysteries were there in the first place?
    edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 2/5/2014

--
    my accounts: Prof. Schartenhauer, Advocate Deepdelver, Captain Cortez and one who went NORTH
    0 link
    circe
    circe

2/5/2014
    I just got a message and I managed to get 12 correct - I can't even remember what I answered for all the questions or even how many questions there were.

--
    Lady Circe in Fallen London - http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lady~Circe
    Adding no Suppers without prior arrangement, with only 5 Free Evenings a week and being a Patron I can't accept them all.
    No Affluent Photographer, Sharing Research with Another Scholar or Boxed Cats accepted. I will send Boxed Cats though. All other social actions welcome. Will help menaces, please be reasonable.
    +1 link
    Spacemarine9
    Spacemarine9

2/5/2014
    I got 14; which means I passed the Fallen London Exam with a 78% grade.
    Although I think I had at least one joke answer and two or three I was flipping back and forth on, so that's pretty good all considered.

--
    my rats will blot out the sun
    Ratgames
    FL lore/mechanics questions and answers
    #FallenLondon IRC (irc.synirc.net) Channel! Click to join via Mibbit.
    #SunlessSea IRC channel! Like the above, but zee-ier.
    +1 link