Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Mapping Fallen London - Spoilers of a Sort Messages in this topic - RSS

Vexpont
Vexpont

2/23/2017
a shadowy spider wrote:
I don't want to post any spoilers, but my basis for the location of Lacewhisper Street can be found by Googling it.

I assume from the text I've mentioned that it's in or near Spite. If we assume that Spite is Spitalfields, my first thought was Fashion Street.

The way I interpret it is that it's past Spite, however, and in that case my best guess is Curtain Road. It's about a 10-15 min. walk away from Spitalfields Market.

Given its slightly coy name, Lacewhisper Street could also be Petticoat Lane, which is nearer to Spitalfields. By the start of Victoria’s reign this had been renamed Middlesex Street, but people kept on using the old name, and the street market there still bears it.

--
Dangerous to my enemies; loyal to my friends. Not too handy at telling the difference.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Vexpont
+2 link
TheThirdPolice
TheThirdPolice

5/24/2017
Fallen London wrote:
at a public house called the Mitre, an assembly of bandaged gentlemen welcome the baronet into their fraternity

They gave us an easy one: Ye Olde Mitre was around then and still stands today.

Fallen London wrote:
an old tunnel beneath the Fourth Footman (a pub in Watchmaker's Hill/Greenwich)

No idea. The I Am The Only Running Footman pub in Mayfair and the Biblical Parable of the Three Servants both seem unlikely leads.

a cheese shop of ill repute

I admit I do not think this has a real equivalent, and just wanted to share this astoundingly delicious phrase.

(in Veilgarden/Covent Garden) the Valkyrie standing high on the (roof of the Coloratura opera house). She stares at the glass ceiling of the opposing market

Definitely the Royal Opera House, which overlooks the glass-roofed Covent Garden marketplace. (Thank you Azothi.) It first performed the Ring cycle in 1892, which contributed to the decision to shorten the full name, the "Royal Italian Opera House". The word colatura is Italian of course, but I cannot find a deeper connection to the building. It means "elaborate ornamentation of a vocal melody, especially in operatic singing" or a soprano skilled in such.

Located just across the river from the Forgotten Quarter, the Eclipse Tavern is a place for shy devils, treasure-hunters, and those who remember false histories.

Based on the travel map this might be near Ladybones (Marylebone) or the University. I haven't found any likely old pubs in Marylebone, but I only did a cursory search.
edited by TheThirdPolice on 5/28/2017

--
Formerly dead, but I got better.

The Eternal Zailor, or The Loon who Zails in Zirkles
+1 link
Von Darken
Von Darken

7/17/2017
Don't know if someone has already said this, but I think Elderwick could easily be Bloomsbury. One of the sidebars claims it's famous for its booksellers, as is Bloomsbury. Then there is the fact that Bloomsbury was, of course, home to the Bloomsbury Group, who were all writers, artists, philosophers and so on, which fits in rather nicely with the Bohemian nature of the place.

--
Mannfred von Darken - Accidentally aiding the forces of Evil since 1893
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Mannfred%20Von%20Darken
+1 link
Vexpont
Vexpont

7/18/2017
Von Darken wrote:
Don't know if someone has already said this, but I think Elderwick could easily be Bloomsbury. One of the sidebars claims it's famous for its booksellers, as is Bloomsbury. Then there is the fact that Bloomsbury was, of course, home to the Bloomsbury Group, who were all writers, artists, philosophers and so on, which fits in rather nicely with the Bohemian nature of the place.

I am as certain as I can be that Elderwick isn't Bloomsbury, and that the (ahem) 'booksellers' to be found thereabouts sling more lurid stuff than the Bloomsbury set would ever own up to writing. But because of a certain questionnaire that couldn't possibly be a lightly-garnished ploy to locate anyone who still deals in London Street Signs, I won't just come out with the name.

Like a certain eccentric Mr. Muybridge, the people who gave London's districts their first Anglo-Saxon names were highly partial to dipthongs. But they were not nearly so keen on the letter k.

These adjustments, plus a consultation with the Persona Engine or other algorithmic cross-referencer of your choice, should lead in the approximate direction of the answer.
edited by Vexpont on 7/21/2017

--
Dangerous to my enemies; loyal to my friends. Not too handy at telling the difference.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Vexpont
+3 link
Meradine Heidenreich
Meradine Heidenreich

9/20/2017
Has anyone mentioned Sorrywell? (No further info given, except it's a place where you might find a "dilapidated rooming-house".

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Meradine%20Heidenreich

The Starveling kit
Gobbled up the bit
of cheese on my tray ..
"O Weh!"

No plant battles, please.
0 link
Sir Frederick
Sir Frederick
Administrator

9/28/2017
Some new placenames to contend with - the Polyoptic, a prestigious theatre, and Carthorse Circus - presumably a road junction - just to its south. The Polyoptic reminds me of "panopticon" - I think we've had a Panopticon Theatre mentioned somewhere before, but anyhow, I'm wondering if, in this case, it might be the Alhambra Theatre, which replaced the Royal Panopticon? But that wasn't north of a circus...

Edit: Carthorse Circus is joined to Printer Circus by the lengthy Magisterial Street, and I do believe Failbetter are doing this just because they know it teases.
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 9/28/2017

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

9/28/2017
The Panopticon is where you meet Lilac during the FotER to watch The Seventh Letter, iirc.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles or Affluent Photographer requests; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+1 link
Sir Frederick
Sir Frederick
Administrator

9/28/2017
Well, the presence of a statue of Anteros confirms that one of the circuses is Picadilly. That suggests that the other might be Oxford Circus or Cambridge Circus (and I'm sure they're eager to compete as to which it might be). If Cambridge is Carthorse Circus, the Polyoptic might be the Palace Theatre (sister theatre to the Antimacassar, then?), and Magisterial Street is Shaftesbury Avenue. Or, Oxford Circus is Carthorse, Regent Street is Magisterial Street... or, Picadilly is Carthorse, one of the others is Printer Circus, and I don't know where the theatre is.
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 9/28/2017

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
+1 link
genesis
genesis

9/28/2017
"Magisterial" suggests legal to me. A long street that runs through the legal heartland of London passing through circuses - Holborn (starting at Holborn Circus) that then continues to New Oxford Street and the Oxford Street passing through Oxford Circus. But then no Anteros...

ETA: Holborn circus is also near Fleet street - a printers' heartland in Victorian London
edited by genesis on 9/28/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/mikey_thinkin

Keeping track of incomplete content and loose ends in Fallen London
0 link
Jermaine Vendredi
Jermaine Vendredi

9/29/2017
May I throw Haymarket into the mix? Which has an association with horses, and runs from Piccadilly...
Oh, and has the Theatre Royal.
edited by Jermaine Vendredi on 9/29/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Jermion
0 link
genesis
genesis

9/29/2017
Ooh, I possibly have some of it. Just north of Oxford Circus is the Regent Street Cinema, Britain's first cinema opened in 1848. It is housed in what then was the Royal *Polytechnic* Institution.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/mikey_thinkin

Keeping track of incomplete content and loose ends in Fallen London
+1 link
Gregarias64
Gregarias64

10/2/2017
Brass Embassy is either the U.S Embassy or the Brass Rail, or both.
0 link
Gangvann
Gangvann

2 days ago
Vexpont wrote:

I am as certain as I can be that Elderwick isn't Bloomsbury, and that the (ahem) 'booksellers' to be found thereabouts sling more lurid stuff than the Bloomsbury set would ever own up to writing. But because of a certain questionnaire that couldn't possibly be a lightly-garnished ploy to locate anyone who still deals in London Street Signs, I won't just come out with the name.

I would argue that it is. Bloomsbury contains Brunswick, named for Bruno, the elder son of Liudolf of Saxony.
Not an impossible match.

--
Betwixt the form and the content, there lies the utter murk
0 link
Tadgh de Danann
Tadgh de Danann

1 days ago
I am not from Great Britain and never visited London personally, so forgive me if there is some huge flaw in my assumption that i am just not able to see, but wouldn't it be possible for Elderwick to be Portugal Road aka Picadilly?

The Street was known as a famous location for bookshops in the late 18th and 19th century, including Hatchards, Londons oldest still existing bookstore. In this cause the unnamed church in Elderwick could be St. James Church, where the marriage of Phillip Hardwick took place. He lived around the time of the Fall (1972-1870) and was the descendant of a long lineage of masons and architects that had a huge impact on Britains and especially Londons architecture. So Elderwick could be a play-on-words with a family name instead of the old street name. The location would also be next to Covent Garden.
0 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

1 days ago
I think the reason it can't be Picadilly is because the hypothesis is that Lusitania Row was Picadilly.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles or Affluent Photographer requests; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
0 link
Siankan
Siankan

22 hours ago
Optimatum wrote:
I think the reason it can't be Picadilly is because the hypothesis is that Lusitania Row was Picadilly.

Precisely so. Elderwick is (as this thread shows) a name open to numerous interpretations and identifications. Lusitania Row, not so much: Lusitania is the western seaboard of Iberia, and little else. Finding another address (as it were) for Lusitania Row would be much more difficult than finding an alternative location for Elderwick.

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
0 link
Meradine Heidenreich
Meradine Heidenreich

2 hours ago
I only recently realised that Visions of the Surface mentions two places, Slough and Chorleywood, both of which are famous for all the wrong reasons.

Chorleywood gave its name to the process that produces the ghastly more-air-than-crumb white loaf, and Slough features in a Betjeman poem:

Come, gentle bombs, and fall on Slough!
It isn't fit for humans now.

Very sneaky tongue in cheek detail.
edited by Meradine Heidenreich on 11/18/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Meradine%20Heidenreich

The Starveling kit
Gobbled up the bit
of cheese on my tray ..
"O Weh!"

No plant battles, please.
+1 link