Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Baccarat - easy money? Messages in this topic - RSS

Lt. Tapper
Lt. Tapper

2/9/2019
What am I missing? Baccarat in the House of Chimes pays 3:1 on a 20 pence bet half the time, so it averages 40 pence per play. If I burn twenty actions I'd get an average of 8 echoes. I'm sure as I get further into the game that will be less attractive but in the early game isn't that pretty good?
0 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

2/9/2019
Lt. Tapper wrote:
What am I missing? Baccarat in the House of Chimes pays 3:1 on a 20 pence bet half the time, so it averages 40 pence per play. If I burn twenty actions I'd get an average of 8 echoes. I'm sure as I get further into the game that will be less attractive but in the early game isn't that pretty good?
Currently the "Draft a brief article" option under the "Celebrate the Feast" story pays out 50 pence on the action without any chance involved.
But your assumption is correct: the endgame goal has recently jumped above 210 pence per action, and even with stats at 100 you'll want to get around 100 pence per action. Early in the game, levelling up your stats and playing through the "Making Your Name" stories will be much more valuable in the long-run.

--
—Elderfleur
+6 link
Tyrconnell
Tyrconnell

2/9/2019
It's only in the very, very early game that you can't regularly outdo 40 pence per action. And even then, it's usually better to do something that raises your stats so you get closer to being able to do better than 40 pence per action.

--
Tyrconnell, a gentleman and doctor of diverse interests and multifarious proclivities
+3 link
Mr Coltrane
Mr Coltrane

2/10/2019
You may also check out "Celebrate the Feast" -> "Visit the Perfumed Pleasure Garden!" -> "The Wheel of Affection"
Luck challenge, (1E * 80%) + (0.2E * 20%) = 0.84 EPA at the price of 1 Carnival Ticket. An easy way to grind Romantic Notions, as well.
edited by Mr Coltrane on 2/10/2019

--
Mr Coltrane
0 link
dov
dov

2/10/2019
Of course, during the Feast you can simply Watch passers-by to get 0.4 Echoes in Inklings of Identity (or 0.8 Echoes in case of a rare success).

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
0 link
Tsar Koschei
Tsar Koschei

2/13/2019
elderfleur wrote:
the endgame goal has recently jumped above 210 pence per action

What are considered the best readily repeatable money grinds these days, anyway? Discounting all that business about optimizing your deck and minimizing the amount of discardable cards.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Tsar%20Koschei

No chess, loitering, friendly sparring, coffee at Caligula's or Affluent Photographer, please.

Lethal duels very welcome!
+1 link
Azothi
Azothi

2/13/2019
Tsar Koschei wrote:
elderfleur wrote:
the endgame goal has recently jumped above 210 pence per action

What are considered the best readily repeatable money grinds these days, anyway? Discounting all that business about optimizing your deck and minimizing the amount of discardable cards.
Expeditions to the Tomb of the Silken Thread funded with Strong-Backed Labour have a simulated EPA of ~2.27. This value can be significantly increased when complemented with Favours from the Docks for expedition supplies.

The orphan grind at the Court of the Wakeful Eye approaches 2.22 EPA as the number of orphans increases to minimize the cost of zailing. This entails investing in Winsome Dispossessed Orphans, which are then delivered to the Tiger Keeper for Tribute that is collected at the Court and sold to buy more children.

In my opinion, both are more properly reflective of the Victorian aesthetic than the Affair of the Box ever was. One makes a profit by selling the archaeological treasures of other cultures and the other makes money off of children.

--
Azoth I, the Amaranthine Wanderer - Midnighter - A Paramount Presence (not currently accepting new Proteges)
Away to where the Chain cannot bind us.
Are you seeking a taste of the Cider? Send me a request in-game. Read an_ocelot's guide to find out how.
+8 link
Tyrconnell
Tyrconnell

2/14/2019
Expeditions using Strong-Backed Labour also relies on exploiting the working class, so it's doubly Victorian theme.

--
Tyrconnell, a gentleman and doctor of diverse interests and multifarious proclivities
+6 link
Toran
Toran

2/14/2019
When you factor in the fact that you get to keep drawing cards and doing expeditions to the Nadir because you're in London, the Tomb of the Silken Thread is decidedly superior.

--
I have a Hepta-Goat. Do you have a Hepta-Goat?
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anthony~Toran
+2 link
Tystefy
Tystefy

2/15/2019
But... where specifically should one get Strong-Backed Labour? In terms of efficiency?

--
Will sometimes return to post absurdity. Very, very, awfully busy otherwise.
0 link
idyl
idyl

2/15/2019
Tystefy wrote:
But... where specifically should one get Strong-Backed Labour? In terms of efficiency?
Just purchasing them from the side-streets is the most efficient. Unless you have a surplus of supplies ahead of time, of course.

--
“Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est"
0 link
Azothi
Azothi

2/15/2019
idyl wrote:
Tystefy wrote:
Just purchasing them from the side-streets is the most efficient. Unless you have a surplus of supplies ahead of time, of course.
To elaborate on that, it's monetarily cheaper to purchase in the Clay Quarters, but it's not sustainable in the long term. Furthermore - and most importantly - it costs Rostygold, which is much better used in conjunction with Dock Favours, which is far and away the most efficient way to purchase expedition supplies.

--
Azoth I, the Amaranthine Wanderer - Midnighter - A Paramount Presence (not currently accepting new Proteges)
Away to where the Chain cannot bind us.
Are you seeking a taste of the Cider? Send me a request in-game. Read an_ocelot's guide to find out how.
+1 link