Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.
the topic is closed | show rated messages only

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Polygamy in London Messages in this topic - RSS

Honeyaddict
Honeyaddict

11 days ago
Dear fellow Londoners,

As one might notice, one can be seen with as many other people as up to ninety. Quite Scandalous, I'm aware, none the less it intrigues me that it can also happen while one is espoused to someone else. So why can one, if no-one is bothered by being Seen With many people at once, marry multiple people as well?

After all, the Church has little to say about Monogamy anymore since the Fall. One can even have a certain intercourse with many people on the Throne of our Empress, with no repercussions. So I ask you dear fellow Londoners why is it that one cannot be Polygamous in our Fallen City?

--
Honeyaddict, Glassman, Scarlet Saint, Paramount Presence, Übergoat owner
pleasure to meet you.

Has some strange ideas the Masters probably won't approve of like some items and establishing a Colony in Parabola.

Please send me a calling card first, I will accept most social interactions. I do enjoy role playing as well, cheers!
+2 link
xKiv
xKiv

11 days ago
Because you probably have only so many correct fingers to put the wedding ring on.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/xKiv - a witchful, percussive, dangermous and shadowry scholar of coexplodence, hopsidirean, and walker of fallen kitties.
+2 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

11 days ago
In-game explanation: while people have changed their mores quite drastically, polygamy will probably be one of the last things we accept. London changes constantly, but not that fast.
Game design explanation: so that players would treat the wedding grind as a momentous event, and divorce as another.
After all, the Bazaar collects love stories and monogamy is the cause of many tragic romances.
Having said that, this might change as our own mores change.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+2 link

11 days ago
Hahahaaa...

The action grind explanation? Sure, that makes absolute sense. But the argument that Londoners wouldn't accept such a drastic change from the established social norm is kind of priceless because it's coming from someone who's argued in precisely the opposite direction *every time* I've ever made that point on any other issue.

Anyways, if you really want polygamy in game, my suggestion to you would be to write indignant e-mails to Failbetter on the issue- it's how every other anachronistic lore change happened.

(Using the words "polyamory" and "problematic" liberally probably wouldn't hurt.)
-21 link
Lady Sapho Byron
Lady Sapho Byron

11 days ago
Jolanda Swan wrote:

After all, the Bazaar collects love stories and monogamy is the cause of many tragic romances.

To get married you do need a marriage license from the Bazaar and "The Masters take marriage seriously. Obtaining a licence is a complicated process." I believe there's also becoming-a-POSI text in which the Ambitious Barrister explains that Bazaar regulations limit people to one spouse at a time.

It does seem like monogamy is tied to the Bazaar's love story pursuit.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
Fighting the Menace of Corsetry Since 1892.
+1 link

11 days ago
"It does seem like monogamy is tied to the Bazaar's love story pursuit."

That's never explicitly been said. It wants love stories period, the more of them it gets & the more varied they are the better. You don't go through 7 cities because you're looking for vanilla romances.
+1 link
Μαρσ
Μαρσ

11 days ago
Honeyaddict wrote:
After all, the Church has little to say about Monogamy anymore since the Fall. One can even have a certain intercourse with many people on the Throne of our Empress, with no repercussions. So I ask you dear fellow Londoners why is it that one cannot be Polygamous in our Fallen City?

The church may have lost some influence after the Fall, but is still regarded a Respectable faction within Fallen London, at the top part of the social hierarchy. Part of 'the establishment', so to speak. There are enough people/players attending church services, giving small donations and helping out God's Editors to keep the churches running. So they may have some say about Polygamous Marriage. And while there is no lore to confirm this, I don't believe they have changed their views on it since the Fall.

And no repercussions, you say? You are being exiled to the Tomb-Colonies right away. I must admit that that is rather mild for a player character, both mechanically and in-lore (seeing how you lose no society favour/renown, and slip back into London quite easily). However, it is exile, and points out that the Court does not approve.

--
🦇🐀🐈🎩
Feel free to invite me for any kind of social action.

Profile:
Μαρσ
0 link

11 days ago
The Church is practically a running joke in the neath. Actual devils are a part of polite society, about 1/10 people have sold their souls, death is temporary at best, and the bible has to be constantly rewritten just to stay halfway relevant. What's left of the church is just a glorified existential safety blanket people cling to to remind them of the bygone days on the surface.

Also the church apparently doesn't care about gay marriage, so why make a fuss about polygamy? Strictly speaking marrying multiple men to a single woman or vice versa is less of a violation of scripture.
-5 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

11 days ago
Some things are left forgotten, but a Google search can do magic with few double quotes and adding site: to it.

--
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
+5 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

11 days ago
Skinnyman wrote:
Some things are left forgotten, but a Google search can do magic with few double quotes and adding site: to it.

How on earth did they pull that off? Though this does give evidence to my theory that polygamy would be really easy to implement, mechanically. C'mon Failbetter, think of all the money you would get from Fate spouses!

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

For the holiday season, send me Christmas Cards for sips of Cider! Fogscapes with Tentacles strongly preferred. (Only one per character, sorry!)

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+2 link

11 days ago
Yeah! Bilk me out of even more money- you know you want to.

And *I* in turn want to have a four way with Gossamer (my Rubbery wife), the Cultured Attache & the Secular Missionary.
-6 link
Vexpont
Vexpont

11 days ago
My best in-game guess is that official monogamy is strictly enforced to fend off that notorious 19th-Century nuisance: Mormons.

Honeyaddict wrote:
After all, the Church has little to say about Monogamy anymore since the Fall. One can even have a certain intercourse with many people on the Throne of our Empress, with no repercussions.
Yeah. About that:

--
Dangerous to my enemies; loyal to my friends. Not too handy at telling the difference.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Vexpont
0 link
 Saklad
Saklad

11 days ago
I like the idea that the Masters have a “one ship, one spouse” rule.

It doesn’t have to be reasonable. I mean, seriously, there’s a tax on speckled eggs.
edited by Saklad5 on 12/1/2018

--
Saklad5, a man of many talents
+10 link
Kukapetal
Kukapetal

11 days ago
Fleshy has as many love interests as he has fingers and toes, so the ring issue isn't a problem until he gets one.....er......actually TWO more :P

Let him marry them all, FBG. The celebration would be amazing :P
+1 link
Jason5237
Jason5237

11 days ago
Are complaints about a portion of the material being an upcharge legitimate?
0 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

11 days ago
Saklad wrote:

It doesn’t have to be reasonable. I mean, seriously, there’s a tax on speckled eggs.

Exactly. Nobody is calling you out for having numerous paramours, or a number of other unusual behaviors. But the laws are the Masters' to enforce, and they have their own ideas. Love stories are a particular interest of theirs, so this is where they will be at their most inexplicable.

Hope than answers Isaac's jabs too.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
0 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

11 days ago
Saklad wrote:

Otherwise the players choice wouldn't matter at all!
But this game is about choices and their importance!

--
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
0 link
Honeyaddict
Honeyaddict

10 days ago
Skinnyman wrote:

That's... interesting and I'd love to know how they did that.

A fun "solving" for the Monogamy would be that you can pay Fate to have multiple spouses (eg 50 Fate for the second, 100 for the Third etc) and that each following wedding would cost more and more preparations.

None the less; I agree with Saklad that the "One ship, One Spouse" rule sounds like the most reasonable Lore answer. (And of course the fact that one would have to live in the Tomb Colonies lol)

I do think a Polygamous amorous story would pique the Master's interests for Love Stories, but the Masters are very peculiar in their tastes so, who knows?

--
Honeyaddict, Glassman, Scarlet Saint, Paramount Presence, Übergoat owner
pleasure to meet you.

Has some strange ideas the Masters probably won't approve of like some items and establishing a Colony in Parabola.

Please send me a calling card first, I will accept most social interactions. I do enjoy role playing as well, cheers!
0 link

10 days ago
Jolanda Swan wrote:

Exactly. Nobody is calling you out for having numerous paramours, or a number of other unusual behaviors. But the laws are the Masters' to enforce, and they have their own ideas. Love stories are a particular interest of theirs, so this is where they will be at their most inexplicable.

Hope than answers Isaac's jabs too.

But don't you see? A story-writing decision like that marginalizes the decision to have multiple romantic partners by making their romance seem somehow illegitimate and lesser to a monogamous one! Thereby making them feel unwanted and excluded from the narrative. Why should their romantic choices be barred from the game?

I mean sure nothing *explicitly* says anything to that effect and there may not be a whole lot of polygamists (like how 0.3% of the general population is legitimately transgender or intersex)- but that's irrelevant! Any story-writing choice that makes *anyone* feel even *slightly* upset or excluded (directly or indirectly) must be overturned.

And I know this because it's what I've been told well over a dozen times now.
edited by Isaac Gates on 12/1/2018
-16 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

10 days ago
Seriously, this is getting out of hand.

--
+3 link