Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

December’s Exceptional Story: Daylight Messages in this topic - RSS

Absintheuse
Absintheuse
Administrator

12 days ago
December's Exceptional Story has arrived, delicious friends!

Join forces with a zailor and young rat to uncover the secrets of an abandoned model village. Journey to an island in the middle of the unterzee to uncover the painful legacy of an inventor's folly and confront the horror that lingers there still.

Daylight is the first story in the Season of Hobbies, and was written by Ash McAllan. This season will give you the opportunity to spend time with Londoners at their leisure. You can begin each from the Season of Hobbies card.

Editing, design and QA: James Chew and Olivia Wood.

Art by Paul Arendt.

EXCEPTIONAL FRIENDSHIP

In addition to a new, substantial, stand-alone story every month, Exceptional Friends enjoy:
  • Access to the House of Chimes: an exclusive private members’ club on the Stolen River, packed with content
  • An expanded opportunity deck: of ten cards instead of six!
  • A second candle: Twice the actions! 40 at once!

Finishing all three stories in the Season of Hobbies will make you eligible for an additional opportunity, to follow.

If you want to keep an Exceptional Story beyond the month it’s for, you must complete the related storylet in the current Season’s card throughout London. This will save it for you to return to another time.

edited by Absintheuse on 11/29/2018
+2 link
The Ambivalent Dynamo
The Ambivalent Dynamo

12 days ago
Oh geez, I'm getting nightmare in christmas/venom vibes all over that art. Looking forward to finishing this tale in its entirety xD.
edited by The Ambivalent Dynamo on 11/29/2018

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Ambivalent%20Dynamo Happy to take most social actions except plant-related ones. Don't hesitate to send one.
+1 link
dov
dov

12 days ago
So, is the story officially called "Daylight" (as is written here), or "Visiting Daylight" (as is written in the game)?

--
Christmas note: I'll try to respond in kind to received Christmas cards, but there's no way I'll be able to send a card to all who have sent one to me.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+1 link
Monara
Monara

12 days ago
When one of the rats first notices the picture, he says "it's the architect from on Daylight". This sounds weird to me, maybe a typo?
Also when you get to the island, there is a missing icon /icons_small/island3.png

Really curious what this is building up to. Concept art is great!

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Miranah
+2 link
silurica
silurica

12 days ago
Not exactly about the new ES, but can we have the Unsettling Toymaker's creations as home comfort items, please? I'm in love.

--
Meika Osborne, the Reckless Researcher
Leonard West, the Scarlet Informant
+3 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

12 days ago
I love it already, but I stopped halfway because I'm not sure whether to take the ratling with me or not! I don't want to come back to London to a grieving rat mother. Can anyone PM me with info on how tragic this is going to get?

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+5 link
Monara
Monara

12 days ago
Jolanda Swan wrote:
I love it already, but I stopped halfway because I'm not sure whether to take the ratling with me or not! I don't want to come back to London to a grieving rat mother. Can anyone PM me with info on how tragic this is going to get?

Taking the ratling (small spoiler)

[spoiler]offers a little more context on some of the locations later on. Nothing terrible will happen to it.[/spoiler]

Just finished the story. I would have liked a little more background information. It feels like a followup about the place in Veilgarden is missing here. It feels wrong to just go home at the end and leave this unresolved.
edited by Monara on 11/29/2018

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Miranah
+6 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

12 days ago
Thank you!

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
0 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

12 days ago
Rats, zailors and zee?!

Think I'll just jump into it and skip the 18+4 stories that I have not yet finished!

silurica wrote:
Not exactly about the new ES, but can we have the Unsettling Toymaker's creations as home comfort items, please? I'm in love.
EDIT: Never mind, I miss read/miss understood, but it does sound amazing!
edited by Skinnyman on 11/29/2018

--
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
+1 link
loredeluxe
loredeluxe

12 days ago
The toy maker sure has a variety of...interesting toys.

"There is a huge doll's house taking up much of the upper floor window. The name on the tag reads 'the Bishop's Barn'. There are a number of dolls that can be placed within, and a handle that must be turned."

Oh dear...
+6 link

12 days ago
Huh...

Y'know, it's more than a little odd to me that in game lore clearly states that women are very much still on the margins of society, and yet homosexuality and the ambiguously gendered are accepted... in the 1890s.

(Somehow I have a hard time imagining a Victorian barkeep unironically using the word "themself" when referring to a patron.)
-9 link
halogenlamp
halogenlamp

12 days ago
Isaac Gates wrote:
Huh...

Y'know, it's more than a little odd to me that in game lore clearly states that women are very much still on the margins of society, and yet homosexuality and the ambiguously gendered are accepted... in the 1890s.

Yeah honestly I found that a little annoying this being a period game and all.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Franklin~Bancroft
0 link
ClearFavourite
ClearFavourite

12 days ago
halogenlamp wrote:
Isaac Gates wrote:
Huh...

Yeah honestly I found that a little annoying this being a period game and all.

Most of the stuff about women being on the margins of society is legacy content by this point. Bare in mind this is the 1890s in a city that has been trapped underground for decades.

To quote the game itself, "there are individuals roaming the streets of Fallen London at this very moment with the faces of squid! Squid! Do you ask them their gender? And yet you waste our time asking me trifling and impertinent questions about mine? It is my own business, sir, and I bid you good day." It's a world with Clay Men; Rubberies; cats and tigers; snakes and mirrors; bats; Masters; immortality in stone; dead gods in the ceiling; urchins; and, of all things, talkative hats.

This is not a period game. This is a game set in a past- a past where Queen Victoria sold London to otherworldy beings.

--
The Boisterous Bounty-Hunter
+16 link

12 days ago
I love that Rubbery Men quote because *murdering a rubbery man is considered socially acceptable and openly associating with them immediately gets you exiled to the tomb colonies*.

It's an alternate history period game, but it's still very much a period game. You can't really milk stuffy Victorian attitudes for laughs then make the same society arbitrarily open & accepting- the two angles kinda cancel each other out.
edited by Isaac Gates on 11/29/2018
-3 link
ClearFavourite
ClearFavourite

12 days ago
I mean- half the point of Society interactions is about how arbitrary their rules are. Besides, FB have already changed aspects of the game fit more modern social standards- nobody uses the word "oriental" any more, for example.

--
The Boisterous Bounty-Hunter
+9 link
Ixc
Ixc

12 days ago
I thought last month’s art was creepy (I was expecting a slasher theme going into Bonfire Night), but this one took the cake. And sweet Christ, I just realized we’re dealing with this madman for three months (a whole season dedicated to this guy).

--
Pleased to meet you. Ixc, spy and detective. Inventor of the Correspondence Cannon.
Are you a Paramount Presence? Record your name here. For posterity, of course.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
+4 link
Loulou
Loulou

12 days ago
Isaac Gates wrote:
Huh...

(Somehow I have a hard time imagining a Victorian barkeep unironically using the word "themself" when referring to a patron.)

Honestly, no offense, but I like how we have a giant sentient space-crab shopping mall, devils and Hell itself right next door, and an entire city stolen beneath the earth by creepy giant alien bats, and this is the bit that bothers you.

--
Dr. Emmaline Anders, Open to most social actions, and accepting all calling cards.

Lieutenant Balzac Thibault, seldom seen in public and rarely (if ever) available for social actions.

Rest in love, Lady Ellia Stoneham, gone NORTH at last.

Open to PMs if you're looking for help with affairs 'enigmatic'.
+10 link

12 days ago
ClearFavourite wrote:
I mean- half the point of Society interactions is about how arbitrary their rules are. Besides, FB have already changed aspects of the game fit more modern social standards- nobody uses the word "oriental" any more, for example.

The fact is that they're still very much there. It's why the "addressed as" quality for the ambiguously gendered is: 'si- er, mad- er, yes', which is pretty good estimation of what a polite reaction in setting would be- IE: awkward and tentative at best.

And that oriental thing was just as jarring and out of place. It's like reading Lovecraft but every once in a while there's a big red marker omitting something... I grant it'll tickle the knee-jerk oversensitive crowd pink but it doesn't exactly improve the quality of the writing.
-5 link

12 days ago
Loulou wrote:
Isaac Gates wrote:
Huh...

Honestly, no offense, but I like how we have a giant sentient space-crab shopping mall, devils and Hell itself right next door, and an entire city stolen beneath the earth by creepy giant alien bats, and this is the bit that bothers you.

None taken, but *bare ankles* and *holding hands in public* are still considered scandalous, so it still strikes me as weird.

(You can take the Victorians out of pre-suffrage Europe but you can't take pre-suffrage Europe outta the Victorians.)
-3 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

12 days ago
One of the nice things about fictional settings is that one need not background elements that hurt readers. Unless the narrative is specifically about some form of bigotry relevant to today, leaving it out of the setting does not harm the writing. Fiction is a method of escapism; why remind people of realities they're trying to avoid if it has no narrative purpose?

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

For the holiday season, send me Christmas Cards for sips of Cider! Fogscapes with Tentacles strongly preferred. (Only one per character, sorry!)

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+15 link