Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Advent Calendar Messages in this topic - RSS

13 days ago
Before December starts I really oughtta ask:

I know you have to be in London to capitalize on the Twelve Days of Mr Sacks, but can I claim advent calendar rewards overzees? Would probably be a good idea to get in a few more rounds of orphan trading before the batty nomen show up.
+1 mark as "accepted answer" link
elderfleur
elderfleur

13 days ago
Isaac Gates wrote:
Before December starts I really oughtta ask:

I know you have to be in London to capitalize on the Twelve Days of Mr Sacks, but can I claim advent calendar rewards overzees? Would probably be a good idea to get in a few more rounds of orphan trading before the batty nomen show up.
If they're implemented like in previous year(s), each daily gift gets into your account as an access code. These have been applied in very strange places (I've just successfully applied one at Zee to test it out), so the Elder Continent should still be acceptable.

But, given a new site with new capabilities, it's possible things might be handled differently this year. As the warning goes, make assumptions based on previous years at your own risk.

--
—Elderfleur
+3 mark as "accepted answer" link
Jermaine Vendredi
Jermaine Vendredi

13 days ago
Weren't they presented at sign-in? In that case, it doesn't matter where you are in the game.

--
No plant battles, please.
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Jermion
dov
dov

13 days ago
Yes, access codes usually work even for characters who are permanently NORTH.

--
Christmas note: I'll try to respond in kind to received Christmas cards, but there's no way I'll be able to send a card to all who have sent one to me.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+5 mark as "accepted answer" link
LadyGrayRose
LadyGrayRose

12 days ago
The postmen in the Neath take their jobs VERY seriously.

--
Kalitha Duskenmoore — Accepting most social interactions.
Miza de Leon — Seeker | Accepting all social interactions, dupes included.
+16 mark as "accepted answer" link
Frenjamin Banklin
Frenjamin Banklin

12 days ago
I've had the advent calendar page open since December last year, and recently it seems to have gone down. Perhaps they are changing something, but it could just be routine
0 mark as "accepted answer" link

12 days ago
LadyGrayRose wrote:
The postmen in the Neath take their jobs VERY seriously.

Anyone who's been to Nuncio can confirm.

(God I miss my Captain... but he's in a better place now- specifically the Elder Continent, ruling with an iron fist.)
rahv7
rahv7

11 days ago
Frenjamin Banklin wrote:
I've had the advent calendar page open since December last year, and recently it seems to have gone down. Perhaps they are changing something, but it could just be routine

The old advent calendar page was on the StoryNexus-page, so it has most likely been removed when everything else located at fallenlondon.storynexus.com was removed as well. The new page is (probably) not online yet ... at least there is nothing at www.fallenlondon.com/advent (but it might very well be located at a different URL).

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/rahv7
phryne
phryne

11 days ago
Frenjamin Banklin wrote:
I've had the advent calendar page open since December last year
I have one question:

Why?

--
"Expect little, and little will disappoint you. But day after day, I expect as little as I can, as little as I can bring myself to, and still I find myself disappointed."

11 days ago
Some people really *really* like Christmas. :P
Jason5237
Jason5237

11 days ago
Best time of year, hands down.

11 days ago
Incorrect, that's Halloween by far.

The Christmas season lasts *three straight months*. Three consecutive months of tacky decorations, obnoxious ad campaigns, awful movies, paint by numbers TV specials, lame songs & saccharine sentimentality.

(Anything that lasts *a quarter of a year* can barely even be called an occasion. :P)
edited by Isaac Gates on 12/1/2018
-2 mark as "accepted answer" link
Tom Davidson
Tom Davidson

11 days ago
In our family, we start the "Christmas season" promptly on December 1st; our family's advent calendar contains not trinkets or candies but suggested activities, ranging from the big and expensive -- like going to a musical or a local festival -- to small and simple, like making popcorn chains or hot cocoa. We spend some time in November looking at various event calendars in December to figure out what we'll try to schedule, and then surprise the kids with things based on how busy we're likely to be and what the budget allows.

--
http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Black%20Tom
+7 mark as "accepted answer" link
Siankan
Siankan

11 days ago
Isaac Gates wrote:
The Christmas season lasts *three straight months*.

If you're counting store advertisers, maybe. But why are you doing that? Anyone who puts up Halloween displays in August, red hearts on 2 January, and Easter eggs before Lent clearly has no right to assert calendrical authority.

However, the Christmas season (as distinct from the midwinter shopping seasons) has clearly delimited boundaries. Advent begins four Sundays before Christmas Day (usually the Sunday after Thanksgiving here in the U.S., but not always) and lasts until Christmas Eve. Christmas itself begins the next morning and ends on Twelfth Night (which, back in the day, was when all the fun parties happened). That's a total of 5-6 weeks, variable by the weekday on which Christmas Day falls. For those without religious interest it's even shorter, since first thing on Boxing Day their minds are on gift returns, champagne flutes, and ridiculous glasses in the shape of 2019.

Isaac Gates wrote:
Three consecutive months of tacky decorations, obnoxious ad campaigns, awful movies, paint by numbers TV specials, lame songs & saccharine sentimentality.

If all you're getting out of Christmas are Hallmark movies, twinkle lights, and Irving Berlin, I perhaps can understand the hyperbolic disparagement. It does, however, rather give the impression of cynicism for cynicism's sake.

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+7 mark as "accepted answer" link

11 days ago
It's not just store advertisers, it's literally all advertisers- which by extension means literally all media.

End result: the holiday wears out its welcome months before it even starts, then drags on long after that.

Oh, and nobody's cynical for it's own sake. People become cynical because they've had idealism and optimism beaten out of them by experience.
edited by Isaac Gates on 12/1/2018
-4 mark as "accepted answer" link
Jason5237
Jason5237

11 days ago
I thought we were talking about Fallen London.

11 days ago
I'd still say Hallowmas wins out in comparison, but the Twelve Days of Mr Sacks are pretty great. About the only way to reliably farm connection points with The Masters without spending absurd amounts of resources.
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

11 days ago
Tom Davidson wrote:
In our family, we start the "Christmas season" promptly on December 1st; our family's advent calendar contains not trinkets or candies but suggested activities, ranging from the big and expensive -- like going to a musical or a local festival -- to small and simple, like making popcorn chains or hot cocoa. We spend some time in November looking at various event calendars in December to figure out what we'll try to schedule, and then surprise the kids with things based on how busy we're likely to be and what the budget allows.

Adopt me.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+8 mark as "accepted answer" link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

11 days ago
Tom Davidson wrote:
My delicious, this sounds oh so dreamy! Big Grin

--
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
Jason5237
Jason5237

10 days ago
The Sackmas “taketh vs. giveth away” philosophy is priceless, and a great 12 days of content. Over and above 25 days of Advent freebies, pails of snow, blocked Lodgings doors, incarnadine robes, a plethora of home comforts, Penstock’s Wicket, exclusive items, nomen, great lore, a holiday story, oh my! Where does it end? It’s nearly two months of content without the tacky decorations, obnoxious ad campaigns, awful movies, paint by numbers TV specials, lame songs, and saccharine sentimentality.