Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Thank you SO MUCH for no Hallowmas grind this year Messages in this topic - RSS

Televangelist
Televangelist

8 days ago
The notability grinds of Hallowmases in the past made what was otherwise a fun and exciting event feel like a chore. I was more than happy to pay fate towards accomplishing what I wanted to this year, and knowing that it wasn't simply an option to waste all my time on a notability grind to get confessions actually... made the whole thing so much more relaxed and pleasant.
This is one of my favorite Hallowmases yet. Please keep the festivals grind-less!
+2 link
Kittenpox
Kittenpox

8 days ago
On the topic of this year's event,

As someone who came to Hallowmas a bit late, and then didn't know quite where to begin, and then had time run out - what were the things you could acquire from this years event; and does anyone know if they'll likely be available again? :-)

PS: @Navchaa , if you see this - there were a lot of sevens, but alas I had no time. Thankyou for the tip anyway though! ( https://66.media.tumblr.com/54b27a3608ea93ce2140e4e8b40a1231/tumblr_phudquxyES1tvox5po1_1280.png )
edited by Kittenpox on 11/7/2018

--
Kittenpox (TtH = Wednesday 4am UTC time.)
Current [Fabulous Diamond] count: 21 (of 50).
-
Currently: Returning to the Neath, with a long contacts list to sift through. :-)
NO PLANT BATTLES PLEASE.
0 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

8 days ago
Televangelist wrote:
This is one of my favorite Hallowmases yet. Please keep the festivals grind-less!

Definitions of grind may vary, but... having some form of grind is pretty important. Hallowmas this year was very frustrating mechanically, primarily because there was nothing to do besides wait. Combine that lack of possible involvement with not being able to get everything in one year via the free resources, and costs changing between years, and it's a big problem.

I absolutely agree that Notability grinding is a bad fit for Hallowmas! It's frustrating and tedious even without a time limit. But the solution isn't to remove grinding entirely.

Kittenpox wrote:
As someone who came to Hallowmas a bit late, and then didn't know quite where to begin, and then had time run out - what were the things you could acquire from this years event; and does anyone know if they'll likely be available again? :-)

In total: One new story, which will be continued sometime later; a new cheap companion (12.8 echoes, might be available again); 11 companion upgrades, none BiS; a Persuasive +20 weapon. The companion upgrades and weapon will probably be available for Fate next year.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+6 link
Jeremiah Oathes
Jeremiah Oathes

8 days ago
It was my first Hallomas and I found it annoying that there was nothing to do until you got enough confessions. I had the feeling that the whole festival took place exclusively on its first and last days.
It was nice to have some action in the final hours, but there was not much to do during the rest of the time.
edited by Jeremiah Oathes on 11/7/2018

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Jeremiah%20Oathes
+9 link
idyl
idyl

8 days ago
I feel like there was nothing to do for almost the entire event. Having some sort of grind would have at least given people something to do besides the last day or so. I like that there were new aspects/mechanics added this year, but I can't say I really enjoyed the event this year.

What I really don't get is that some people would rather just straight up pay Fate to get enough confessions, instead of rewarding anyone who had a higher BDR (Fate-based or not). It went from a semi-pay-to-win concept to complete pay-to-win, "win" being an exaggeration of course.

~~~
edited by idyl on 11/7/2018

--
“Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est"
+7 link
Tozh Taurog
Tozh Taurog

8 days ago
I don't know about the grind, but more cohesive explanation would have been nice. There's no way I could have figured it out without the forum.

It's fantastic that there were all the different things - the companions, the mayor, the envoy - but with the limited confessions it would have been really nice to know what's going on. Hallowmas Primer could use a lot more volume. I was one of the unfortunates hit by the bug on the first day, so I got even fewer confessions than most. smile I still managed most of what I'd have liked, but it was quite a challenge to sort out the directions, and I do have an alt to experiment on. (still sore that alt got more confessions than main!)

--
A Correspondent. Thrilled to advance science by educating the younger generation at your Orphanage. A Marvellous player. Willing to talk about it to the press. An amateur horticulturist.
Usually up for socializing, especially with text.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TozhTaurog
+3 link
Tyrconnell
Tyrconnell

8 days ago
Optimatum wrote:
In total: One new story, which will be continued sometime later; a new cheap companion (12.8 echoes, might be available again); 11 companion upgrades, none BiS; a Persuasive +20 weapon.

None singularly best in slot. Several of the companions join the multi-way tie for first at +10 in various stats. Goats still hold a substantial lead for Watchful.

--
Tyrconnell, a gentleman and doctor of diverse interests and multifarious proclivities
0 link
FeldonSmithe
FeldonSmithe

8 days ago
I really loved the Arbor story. I enjoyed the dilemma of choosing between the three princesses and the mayor. I also love the new companions. I think they are great concepts. FBG did a wonderful job in trying new mechanics. The willingness to experiment and listen to players is what makes the game so much fun.

Feldon Smithe: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/FeldonSmithe
+7 link
Ixc
Ixc

8 days ago
While I loved this year's Hallowmas, I think it is a bad idea to have to pay money to access all of its content. I agree that the Notability grind should be gone, but there are other grinds that fit in-universe, and could let people choose to put in as little or as much effort as they want. (For example, Expeditions, which dig into the Fourth City's past, or Flash Lays to access the confession depository).

--
Pleased to meet you. Ixc, spy and detective. Inventor of the Correspondence Cannon.
Are you a Paramount Presence? Record your name here. For posterity, of course.

Where dreams of the Fourth City lies upon ours; in its reverbations, you may confess. (Open till Nov. 21st)

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
+6 link
Kittenpox
Kittenpox

8 days ago
Tozh Taurog wrote:
I don't know about the grind, but more cohesive explanation would have been nice. There's no way I could have figured it out without the forum.

It's fantastic that there were all the different things - the companions, the mayor, the envoy - but with the limited confessions it would have been really nice to know what's going on.

That's pretty much the main reason I didn't get started - not wanting to spend finite resources until I knew what the options were. (In hindsight, I really should have checked the forums to figure out what to do, if I didn't have time to explore everything. Alas, it didn't occur to me at the time.)

--
Kittenpox (TtH = Wednesday 4am UTC time.)
Current [Fabulous Diamond] count: 21 (of 50).
-
Currently: Returning to the Neath, with a long contacts list to sift through. :-)
NO PLANT BATTLES PLEASE.
+1 link
Harlocke
Harlocke

7 days ago
Alternatively, it would be nice if there were grinds to unlock some of the story content instead of having to spend confessions. For example, if you could obtain progress with a faction by performing flash lays, so you can save your confessions to unlock more tangible prizes like companions and the ambassadorship. I understand FBG wanting to cap the supply of confessions, but it seems rough to make them necessary for narrative choices.

--
I welcome social actions, and can visit your salon as an author.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Harlocke
+4 link
Monara
Monara

7 days ago
You would really rather pay money instead of actually playing the game? I find it really hard to take this seriously. If you enjoy bypassing gameplay by spending money that much, why wouldn't you just quit the game? Same result, but it's completely free.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Miranah
+2 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

7 days ago
While the festival has to have some Fate options, (to financially support the game; to help players who can't grind etc.) they should not be the sole source of gameplay. Plus, what I like about spending Fate is that it unlocks more game. This time, it only bought items, so there was not much motive to spend.
Flash Lays and expeditions of varying difficulty are great ideas. Perhaps zailing, to give POSIs an extra edge? Confessions hidden in every island, for example. I also hate Notability grinding, and it is unfit for a two-week event, but there are so many options.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+3 link
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu

5 days ago
I actually liked this year, mechanically. The last two years I specifically requested that getting all the companion upgrades should be fate locked, much like the Feast of the Rose rewards are.

My one complaint is that there were a few "trap" options that got you nothing of note yet ate your confessions/favor. I made sure to check the wiki after it had updated with the new content, and it saved me from losing confessions.

--
Be of good cheer. Our contacts have assured us that your sins are forgiven.
+1 link
Siankan
Siankan

5 days ago
Kaijyuu wrote:
My one complaint is that there were a few "trap" options that got you nothing of note yet ate your confessions/favor.

I agree with you on this. Asking the Mayor was a particularly problematic trap, first because he is the only investigator who did not render an opinion for free, and second because the cost was not clear up front. I realize that you had to have 10 Favour in order to unlock the choice, but unlock requirements are not always costs. A This will cost you Favour warning would have been a helpful addition. Not costing Favour might have been a more helpful subtraction.

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+5 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

5 days ago
Kaijyuu wrote:
I actually liked this year, mechanically. The last two years I specifically requested that getting all the companion upgrades should be fate locked, much like the Feast of the Rose rewards are.

The issue is, Fallen London always makes content either entirely free or entirely Fate-locked. If you can get a unique item for free, playing other content will not make it cost Fate. The only exception to this is the free Election gift, but even there, choosing one item does not prevent getting the rest for free other years.

Some Feast companions are free, and others are Fate-locked from the start. Hallowmas companions all begin free, but with limited confessions, that changes halfway through. If the free companions were the same each year, this wouldn't be an issue! Compare to limited snowfalls at Sacksmas, so limited opportunities for Incarnadine Robe items, but those cost 30 Fate no matter how long you wait. At Hallowmas, not getting a companion for free one year means it costs Fate the next—and this year we're outright forced to skip some. Costs changing because you did play other content doesn't mesh with Failbetter's usual methods, and it's frustrating.
edited by Optimatum on 11/11/2018

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+4 link
Ed Rolison
Ed Rolison

4 days ago
Optimatum wrote:

Kittenpox wrote:

In total: One new story, which will be continued sometime later; a new cheap companion (12.8 echoes, might be available again); 11 companion upgrades, none BiS; a Persuasive +20 weapon. The companion upgrades and weapon will probably be available for Fate next year.

The scuttering upgrades have an edge case for being BiS - if you're doing sparring (lethal or otherwise) 3x +10s is quite useful.
+1 link
Ed Rolison
Ed Rolison

3 days ago
Ixc wrote:
While I loved this year's Hallowmas, I think it is a bad idea to have to pay money to access all of its content. I agree that the Notability grind should be gone, but there are other grinds that fit in-universe, and could let people choose to put in as little or as much effort as they want. (For example, Expeditions, which dig into the Fourth City's past, or Flash Lays to access the confession depository).

Notability is horribly uneven IMO - with a really good BDR it's really easy to get notability, and if you don't.... it's a huge faff.

But I too think lacking any ability to really "play" the story, that wasn't at a rate a little more than one action per day was a disappointment. Especially as you had a few 'landmine' options that would "waste" confessions. Like asking the Mayor what he's doing.

I had sort of thought that an Expedition (this year) would have fit somewhat, because one of the options is the Sanctuary of Crimson Petals. Seemed thematically fitting.
But an expedition, Flash lay, heist could have been a source of clues or confessions - a bit of a 'grind' but one that's not so hugely disparate between high and low BDR.
+1 link
annalibertas
annalibertas

3 days ago
Yeah I'm in the, 'okay I agree the notability grind was bad, but I would like to have /something/ to do during the event' club. Even just one of those options the season storylets always have (current one is "Read the Unctuous Official's notes") with a handful of rotating lore snippets would be nice, just to give the event more of a "something is happening" feeling

(Full disclosure, I do still miss the old social cooperation mechanic for Hallowmas. After a festival revolving around putting your trust in stangers, using confessions as currency will probably always feel a bit cheap)

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anna%20Libertas
Accepting all social actions & boxed cats
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Julliah%20Randolph
Alt, will accept all social actions whenever I log on
+3 link