Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Hallowmas 1896: The Mystery of the Rosers Messages in this topic - RSS

hwoosh
hwoosh

22 days ago
I've also been noticing TONS of typos in the new Hallowmas content. All minor so far--misplaced commas, missing periods, improperly punctuated dialogue--but disappointing nonetheless. All of FBG's new content has been getting slowly but steadily worse in that regard for the past several years, but I haven't seen this density of typos so far.

--
Persona: hwoosh
R Fellow Oswho. Don't ask what the "R." stands for. The poor fellow is sensitive about it. And violent.
Most social requests gladly and promptly answered.
+4 link
Deathjack999
Deathjack999

22 days ago
Me: *When the option to acquire Confessions disappares completely.* "Well this is garbage."

Seriously, why does this Hallowmas punish you for having hight MW?
+2 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

22 days ago
Perhaps we will have the chance to acquire extra confessions next week? Via Flash Lays, Heists, Cases or any other mechanic?

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+3 link
Winthropx
Winthropx

22 days ago
Were we supposed to get confessions today? I have no option to get any. I also have The aftermath of an Audacious Theft 13. Is that leftover from last year? I also never saw the starting story. I just had all the other stories right away. Contacted Support. Hopefully it's an easy fix.
edited by Winthropx on 10/24/2018

--
Bishop Winthrop, a kind-hearted soul
A Paramount Presence
I accept all social actions except Investigating the Affluent Photographer
0 link
Μαρσ
Μαρσ

22 days ago
Winthropx wrote:
Were we supposed to get confessions today? I have no option to get any. I also have The aftermath of an Audacious Theft 13. Is that leftover from last year? I also never saw the starting story. I just had all the other stories right away.

Same here.

--
🦇🐀🐈🎩
Feel free to invite me for any kind of social action.

Profile:
Μαρσ
0 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

22 days ago
What's the difference between spending confessions with the Princess, Widow, and Duchess to gain Clues (which uses 2 confessions) and spending confessions on them to increase Progress (which uses 1)? I know the Envoy is looking for Clues, but what exactly does increasing Progress do?

--
James Sinclair

Curator of the Sanguine Ribbon Society 🗡

A fully-fledged rêveur of The Night Circus.

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+2 link
NotaWalrus
NotaWalrus

22 days ago
Can we get confirmation on whether there will be a way to get extra confessions without fate?

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/NotaWalrus
Ignacious, the Licentious Scholar, he will accept most social invitations, including boxed cats and affluent photographers (but only betrayals), though he is absent-minded and might take more time than entirely necessary. He apologizes.

Good evening from Ignacious
Ignacious's Backtory
+2 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

22 days ago
Winthropx wrote:
Were we supposed to get confessions today? I have no option to get any. I also have The aftermath of an Audacious Theft 13. Is that leftover from last year? I also never saw the starting story. I just had all the other stories right away.

Anyone who still has Aftermath of an Audacious Theft 13 should definitely contact support with their character name.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+5 link
Siankan
Siankan

22 days ago
Excited as always for Hallowmas. Particularly excited for many of the possible companions. Most extraordinarily excited about the Rosers. (Prof. Kan isn't the only one intrigued by Neathy mysteries.) Okay, possibly extremely excited to delve into the Rosers.

Not, however, very excited about the number of decisions that one has to make in the dark. Confessions are a limited quantity, as they always have been, but I don't recall so much uncertainty in the past about the effect of using those confessions. Is it better to get Clues for the Envoy, or to further the investigation of one's preferred Woman of Mysterious Background (TM)? How should I prioritize these things against picking up the companions I may be interested in? I have no idea, because the effects of all of these clues and progresses are hidden.

If it were possible, with work, to Do All The Things, or at least enough of The Things that you could correct for one or two missteps, then this mysterious investigating might be exciting. As is, however, Hallowmas is more like trying to plan a family vacation on too small a budget, where you need discipline and tight planning to make sure that you get the results you want--or at least enough of them that it's not a disappointment. In that context, the Clue/Progress uncertainty is like being asked to spend that tight budget on a mystery box. It could be a free week in Venice during Carnival. It could be mucking your uncle's stables. Which is it? You may not know until it's too late to change tacks.

I am worried that a lot of people are going to screw themselves over this Hallowmas.

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+10 link
Honeyaddict
Honeyaddict

22 days ago
I do wonder if the upgraded Scuttering Squad would be worth it... There are two possibilities and while I would under normal circumstances buy 2 squads just to have both outcomes, I now cannot afford that as I'm saving up for an Übergoat. ~
Does anyone have any Echoes on the upgraded Companions and their respective upgrades? Cheers!

--
Honeyaddict, Scarlet Saint, Canon
Planning on becoming a Paramount Presence and establishing a Colony in Parabola for him and his friends.
Has some strange ideas the Masters probably won't approve of Like some items or some beasts

Please send me a calling card (or letter) first in Fallen London, I will accept most social interactions. (Photographer only if it's a dupe, else not.) I do enjoy RPing ingame, cheers!
0 link
Great Pigmeat
Great Pigmeat

22 days ago
Currently trading 2 Confessions of Whimsey for 2 Confessions of Violence, anyone up for it?
0 link
Suhe Gul
Suhe Gul

22 days ago
and I was so prepared for another notability grind upset I was also holding back from getting cider just in case we needed something else at hallowmas and there is no way to acquire extra confessions this year upset

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/suhe%20gul
I am open to social actions except affluent photographer and loitering.
Correspondent and willing to make orphanage calls.
Want a sip of cider? http://community.failbettergames.com/topic20425-want-a-sip-of-hesperidean-cider-heres-how.aspx
+1 link
Deathjack999
Deathjack999

22 days ago
My problems with the current set up are that we will most likely only get three goes at grabbing Confessions a day...and the fact that they are dictated through something similar to the Airs and Openings.

Also I talked to the Mayor before I grabbed any Confessions and apparently that counted towards my three.

Also it's mildly annoying that grabbing a Confession sends you back to the Main Story tab.
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

22 days ago
Official word is that after today's three free confessions, it's one free confession every weekday through the 6th. If you don't get the confessions you want, you can always trade with other players though.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+2 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

22 days ago
Noticed these errors myself and they make me cringe, because this is a world of words.

Here's a comical error that may be terrifyingly revealing. It comes after selecting the Mog from the Envoy:

"
A visitor
An attendant hands you the writhing Mog. The Envoy herself seems much relieved. This business being concluded, she introduces herself properly: she is an embassy for her queen, who is seeking an answer that only London can provide. "

Emphasis is my own. The Envoy is an embassy? How exactly does she.. house the queen? Inside her mind? Inside her body? Geiger-like visions ensue.

hwoosh wrote:
I've also been noticing TONS of typos in the new Hallowmas content. All minor so far--misplaced commas, missing periods, improperly punctuated dialogue--but disappointing nonetheless. All of FBG's new content has been getting slowly but steadily worse in that regard for the past several years, but I haven't seen this density of typos so far.

edited by Shalinoth on 10/24/2018

--
Profiles: Shally, Chimes & Jack~of~Smiles . . . Current Goal:
0 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

22 days ago
Shalinoth wrote:
Noticed these errors myself and they make me cringe, because this is a world of words.

Here's a comical error that may be terrifyingly revealing. It comes after selecting the Mog from the Envoy:

"
A visitor
An attendant hands you the writhing Mog. The Envoy herself seems much relieved. This business being concluded, she introduces herself properly: she is an embassy for her queen, who is seeking an answer that only London can provide. "

Emphasis is my own. The Envoy is an embassy? How exactly does she.. house the queen? Inside her mind? Inside her body? Geiger-like visions ensue.
An embassy can also refer to the people (or, in this case, person) in an ambassadorial delegation, not just the physical building where their diplomatic office is.

--
James Sinclair

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+4 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

22 days ago
I stand corrected! But continue to be amused by its plural implications.
edited by Shalinoth on 10/24/2018

--
Profiles: Shally, Chimes & Jack~of~Smiles . . . Current Goal:
+1 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

22 days ago
Shalinoth wrote:
I stand corrected! But continue to be amused by its plural implications.
Honestly, I prefer your unsettling interpretation.

--
James Sinclair

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+1 link
elderfleur
elderfleur

22 days ago
My favourite Hallowmas experience so far has been discovering that the tooltip on the Contrarian's Favour icon is blank so it just pulls up the icon again. It feels like asking the game, "Can you tell me more about the Mayor?" and having the Mayor reply, "No."

--
—Elderfleur
+8 link
Vega
Vega

22 days ago
Siankan wrote:
Not, however, very excited about the number of decisions that one has to make in the dark. Confessions are a limited quantity, as they always have been, but I don't recall so much uncertainty in the past about the effect of using those confessions. [...] As is, however, Hallowmas is more like trying to plan a family vacation on too small a budget, where you need discipline and tight planning to make sure that you get the results you want--or at least enough of them that it's not a disappointment.

I completely agree with Siankan. There's a multitude of things I can do with Confessions: make progress on three opposing factions (with presumably the end goal of helping the Envoy), upgrade companions, trade them with other players, earn favour with the Contrarian... and I only have three Confessions right now that I can do this with, with no apparent way of replenishing them except for waiting for a daily grab-bag refresh. And while the Confession cost of upgrading pets is clear, it's not clear to me how many Confessions I need to spend to earn enough Progress on each faction to gain the qualities needed to help the Envoy. Right now it appears that I have to choose one option or the other, eg. if I want to learn more about the Rosers' story, I may lock myself out of upgrading any pets or earning the Contrarian's favour.

Because resources are scarce with little margin for error, I'm finding myself in a bit of choice paralysis as to what path to pursue next. Furthermore, I've received two trading offers from players, but I'm leaning towards rejecting both because if I trade my single type of Confession away for a short-term gain, when can I expect to receive another one again for my longer-term plans? The scarcity of resources is driving me to risk aversion: hoarding Confessions and discouraging me from social actions, which is a real shame.

Nevertheless, this is my first Hallowmas, which is still exciting. I just have to hold onto my Confessions, decide carefully what to do next, and take careful steps based on limited information.
edited by Vega on 10/24/2018

--
The Shifty Spectre and The Jaunty Mystic.
Accepting all Acquaintances, social interactions and opportunities for casual in-game roleplay.
+5 link
1234 ..22