Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Mr Pages’ Fabularities

“An archive of things that never happened”. An in-character forum for fanfiction and roleplaying. Beware - spoilers abound!

Ivory Door 2018 -- A Hallowmas Confession Messages in this topic - RSS

Vega
Vega

11/20/2018
Oh my, I missed this thread when it was open and would _love_ to have joined. How delightful to read these and see the creativity and variety that FL inspires in everyone!

--
The Jaunty Mystic roams the streets of London, interviewing fellow citizens. Accepting all Acquaintances, social interactions and opportunities for casual in-game roleplay.

The Shifty Spectre has departed on the final voyage.
+4 link
Kylestien
Kylestien

11/21/2018
A confession about a confession: number 20 was mine. I figured since there are no real vampiric entities in London thus far, and it was halloween, it would be fun to create one albeit briefly. There were some clues too that seemed to be lost: I was briefly at the start of Drake Dainymo's argo rp before I regretfully stopped updating, and figured it would be a fun reference to tie into the story of how he got the elixir in the first place. It seems it went unnoticed by everyone. Perhaps I should become a criminal mastermind.

--
I will accept all actions, though I hold the right to refuse for my own reasons. However, if you explain WHY you send me a harmful action like Loitering or Dantes,And I feel the reason good, I will consider it more. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kylestien

Persuasive patron. You want a lesson, send me a message asking for one.
+2 link
Lady Karnstein
Lady Karnstein

11/22/2018
Kylestien wrote:
A confession about a confession: number 20 was mine. I figured since there are no real vampiric entities in London thus far, and it was halloween, it would be fun to create one albeit briefly. There were some clues too that seemed to be lost: I was briefly at the start of Drake Dainymo's argo rp before I regretfully stopped updating, and figured it would be a fun reference to tie into the story of how he got the elixir in the first place. It seems it went unnoticed by everyone. Perhaps I should become a criminal mastermind.

Yeah, good thing there is nothing...like...that...there...
<__<
>__>

--
Lady Caroline Karnstein, infamous writer, artist, and courtesan. Unrepentant Invert.
Legendary Charisma, Correspondent, Nocturnal. Poet Laureate of the Neath
Ambassador to Arbor
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Caroline%20Karnstein
+5 link
Six Handed Merchant
Six Handed Merchant

11/22/2018
Loulou wrote:
To be honest I had intended to post and ghost, as it were, just to get some things off my chest in a semi-autobiographical fashion. I'm not very active in the forums and as a full-time writer I rarely have the energy to roleplay properly, but I've loved kind of observing from afar and thought participating in Ivory Door this year might be fun. But your responses made me feel really good. Unfortunately, unlike Balzac, I haven't a Neath to escape to; I live in one of the most homophobic/transphobic countries in the world and it does tend to wear on me after a while. But it's nice to know I have your support, delicious friends. Believe me, it really does make a difference.

Balzac is largely an inactive character, but please feel free to connect with Dr. Emmaline Anders instead. I'm happy to respond in roleplay, provided you don't mind a couple of days in between responses. Oh, and Emmaline was #5.

Thank you all, and especially Lady Sapho Byron, for this thread!

Alas, there is no Neath to escape to in real life, but I do hope we have made virtual home for you that can act as the Neath you need, that we all need. Please do reach out, we're here for you. And while my replies are frequently delayed, you can always DM me and I will respond.

And if you ever want to correspond with one of the odder probably-human detectives in the city, feel free to send a calling card to the Six Handed Merchant. smile

--
The Six Handed Merchant: Private detective, good samaritan, scandalous social progressive, Soul Shepherd with the CVR, orphanage patron/matron, Correspondent, Nocturnal Bohemian, labor union backer, rumored Communist, radical academic, truth seeker, free thinker, spider whisperer, honey-dreaming hedonist, sensual lover, Extraordinary Mind. If it's truth you seek, The Six Handed Merchant is the gentlemen-, er, lady-, er, detective you need! Just pay no mind to that Eradication Officer tailing Six: that poor fellow is simply out of his mind!

Six's Mantlepiece (I am available for roleplaying and SAs. My schedule is pretty full, so please PM me first to work out the details.)
+3 link
Siankan
Siankan

11/22/2018
1896: The Ivories

So I wanted to give a shout-out to some favorite confessions, and am in the mood for excessive silliness. Therefore, I present you with this year’s Ivory Awards.

N.B. These are entirely, subjectively my own opinion. I make no (okay, few) claims to their objective merit. In particular, that means
- Nothing of mine, obviously. First, that’s no fun. Second, if I’m the best writer here, it is a sad and depressing world.
- Few if any tragic/twisted/desperate love stories. I realize these are London’ stock-in-trade, but, well, they’re London’s stock-in-trade. I’m on the lookout for something more inventive.
- For similar reasons, short and vague stories don’t get in unless they’re particularly evocative.
- Extra points for descriptions that show, rather than tell (especially when it comes to handwriting).

Preliminaries out of the way, if you can get the envelope back from that ape, we’ll begin.

Most Humorous: Maria Konstantinopolska, #10
This story was delightful. Maria’s voice was believable and charming, which kept things just this side of farce. I think this was the confession that I’ve come back to the most.

Most Evocative: Tanith Wyrmwood, #32
There is an art to implication; it takes work and talent to create something which pulls you beyond yourself and makes you want to know more. Tanith’s confession did that very effectively, teasing you with a story that not even she seems to know, daring you to fill in the blanks and smilingly denying you the opportunity. The flirt.

Best Handwriting: The Six-Handed Merchant, #19
Handwriting descriptions range from sparse to florid, but none were so clearly stamped with the character’s identity than the Six-Handed Merchant’s. As with Tanith’s confession, this description packs a great deal into a small number of words—and that is the definition of eloquence.

Most Neathy: Vexpoint (OOC), #25
The thing I love about this confession is that it could not have happened anywhere but the Neath. Maria’s confession could, conceivably, have occurred anywhere with a church. Most of the confessions (including many of the best ones) could flatly have occurred anywhere; they reflect Fallen London’s atmosphere but not necessarily its setting. This one, not so much. There isn’t even a conceivable analog outside London to the false heads of the Baptist. Not only does it capture the spirit of the game, but it does so with a particularly Neathy vehicle. Magnifico.

Most Whimsical: Lady Sapho Byron, #13
Maria’s confession makes me laugh; the Lady’s causes the sort of silly grin that has my wife asking what I’m reading. To quote my esteemed colleague, “Playfully scandalous but classy. Just a touch of silliness, enough to be charming, but not enough to be taken seriously.” In other words, the right balance to be delightful rather than ridiculous.

Best in Door: Vexpoint (OOC), #25
Far and away my favorite, and I think the reason comes down to attention to detail. From the “collection plate” nod in the opening sentence to the scarf-aversion at the end, the whole thing is thoughtfully and carefully tied together. So bravo! and I’d dearly love to know who wrote this one. Also, could I get permission to use as an example in future writing classes? [Edit: Thank you, and thank you.]

Everyone, thanks for a fun year and thirty-two delightful reads. Winners, please collect your Ivory Doors on the way out, and don’t open them where a Special Constable can see you.
edited by Siankan on 11/29/2018

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+3 link
Vivienne Thursday
Vivienne Thursday

11/23/2018
We still have 16 un-claimed/-guessed confessions! Anyone else care to come forward or drop a hint? In lieu of any facts, we guessers will be happy to begin to speculate wildly!

--
Vivienne Thursday:
Artist • Author • F̶l̶i̶r̶t̶ Wife
+2 link
Lord Gazter
Lord Gazter

11/23/2018
I've quite enjoyed watching the search and speculation for who's confession is who's. So I will say that a certain Lord's confession might have been hidden in with the rest of them.

--
Lord Gazter: a genial and charming gentleman of noble birth.

Victoria Crow: a spirited la.. young woman and an expert troublemaker.

Get a copy of the Phlegethonian Gazette for pertinent and trustworthy news! Only five pence!
+2 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond

11/24/2018
So now folk are looking for hints? Here's a hint as to which one is mine. It's the confession of one who came to Fallen London when most of the latest and most arcane content of the game had yet to be published.

--
Cathy Raymond
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/cathyr19355

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
0 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

11/24/2018
I think I will keep mine a secret, but I'm happy for the guesswork and the stories!

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
0 link
Vexpont
Vexpont

11/29/2018
The wordy #25 was written by me (and anyone is welcome to use it however they like) though it's not at all in character. It's just that 1. The Loquacious Vicar is an eccentric gadfly who needs more love, and 2. even taking into account the existence of both Gaoler's Honey, and a nameless facility on Venderbight, St. John's Lily is surely the nastiest potential interrogation tool in all the Neath.

My favourite handwriting and confession are consecutive:

#8. An aged parchment, words scribbled across in swaying lines both parts sloppy and eccentric. It is scented, three parts roses, two parts lacre, and one part coffee stains.

Bottle this, and get Tom Ford to sell it.

#9. Oh how it pains me, the shame, every night. The Young Master doesn't know. Their heirs shall never know. It was all for the good of the family, though. The contracts, the lies. Yet Old Master beckoned, and so I answer.

They're at the zee now. When they return, I will be ready.

Servant characters and their conflicted loyalties are underused in FL. This is a really nice short hook.

Lady Sapho Byron wrote:
Also, you should send the author of "my mother's signature" a link to FL.
Seconded.
edited by Vexpont on 11/29/2018

--
Dangerous to my enemies; loyal to my friends. Not too handy at telling the difference.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Vexpont
+2 link
Siankan
Siankan

11/29/2018
Vexpont wrote:
The wordy #25 was written by me (and anyone is welcome to use it however they like) though it's not at all in character.

Excellent! Now I get to give my congratulations in person.

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
0 link