Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Weekly Fallen London Questions, 12/03/2018 Messages in this topic - RSS

Skinnyman
Skinnyman

3/15/2018
dov wrote:
When Notability = 9, MW = 15, you get:

• "Notability has not changed from 9 because it's lower than 16"
  • "Your 'Making Waves' Quality is now 8"

(I'm guessing about the rounding rule, but it seems to fit).

Do keep consistency specially that you contradict yourself a few posts above. MW gets rounded down so MW 15 will be reduced to 7, not 8.

I'll check on the next TtH visits to confirm that the message is MW + 1 is MW = Nota.

--
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
0 link
dov
dov

3/15/2018
Skinnyman wrote:
Do keep consistency specially that you contradict yourself a few posts above. MW gets rounded down so MW 15 will be reduced to 7, not 8.

I'll check on the next TtH visits to confirm that the message is MW + 1 is MW = Nota.

As I said, I'm guessing about the rounding rule (when the old MW is odd). I thought it was rounding down, but based on your new data, rounding to the nearest even number fits better.

It definitely halves MW, and the message about Notability behaves exactly as I've described.

--
Christmas note: I'll try to respond in kind to received Christmas cards, but there's no way I'll be able to send a card to all who have sent one to me.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
0 link
Waterpls
Waterpls

3/16/2018
Is there a point in Rob a drunk or better wait for Gift card to spend Someone is Coming?
In my situation
Rob a Drunk: 4.02E for 6 CP = 0.67 E/SiC (w/o rare success)
Gift card: 13E for 21 CP = 0.61 E/SiC (souls converted with Spirifage)

So in terms of E/SiC Rob a drunk better but i cant figure out is it better in terms of EpA and/or opportunity cost?
My basic grind is Spirifage ~1.75 EpA
edited by Waterpls on 3/16/2018

--
Long grinds: Cider 120/160; Correspondence 21/21; Paramount 4/4.
0 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

3/16/2018
Waterpls wrote:
Is there a point in Rob a drunk or better wait for Gift card to spend Someone is Coming?
In my situation

Relicker card requires level 4 of SiC (10CP), but consumes 20 CP. Best is to keep track of your SiC when above 4; if card pops at 4+2/3 use it otherwise keep in it hand until 5+1, rob a rat and use the card.
It depends on your favour amount, possibility of keeping the Relicker card and probably other factors.

My approach is to always have rubbery favours above 5 as it offers the best constable cashin, but also a solution to revolutionary favours (if too many). If rubbery vs tomb card pops I save the former. Even if tomb vs soc is a nice card you can always gather 6-7 soc favours and cash in those in the court (3 for 5 signs) which is a decent EPA.

--
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

3/16/2018
Speaking of Persuasive, did anyone who has maximum possible level (mood included) got a better result on the Bohemian card using the Blemmi option?
At 250+ the reward is better, but wondered if that changes at 300.

Cheers!

--
+1 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

3/16/2018
Well having overcapped my Persuasive, and with max gear on, the reward was better than before the overcap. So I am guessing it scales accordingly!

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

3/16/2018
Jolanda Swan wrote:
Well having overcapped my Persuasive, and with max gear on, the reward was better than before the overcap. So I am guessing it scales accordingly!

Talking about Memories. You somehow got 4?

--
+1 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

3/16/2018
Waterpls wrote:
In my situation

So in terms of E/SiC Rob a drunk better but i cant figure out is it better in terms of EpA and/or opportunity cost?
My basic grind is Spirifage ~1.75 EpA
edited by Waterpls on 3/16/2018

I've ran the numbers before, including the action costs of acquiring & turning in SiC. I don't have the full numbers on hand, but the short version is... Robbing a Rat is most profitable, only because of rare successes. I don't know the exact drop rate, but even if it's as low as 2%, that more-than-doubles your expected earnings.

The following is a rough reconstruction of how I came to this conclusion, using numbers from your post or from memory rather than checking everything. From what I remember, the differences are big enough that estimated values are good enough.

If you are a Spirifer than your "Replacement-level Action" is worth 1.74 EPA (I think?). One way of thinking of things is that any time you spend an action, that "costs" you 1.74 Echoes, since that's what you could have used that action for instead. So an action that nets 4.02 Echoes really nets you a 'profit' of 2.28 Echoes, after you discount the Echo value of the Action you spend. So, ignoring the rare success, robbing a rat converts a point of SiC into a profit of 38 pence.

Meanwhile the Capering Relicker gives you 13ish echoes for a single action, for a net profit of 11.25 or so. Even if you play things suboptimally and spend 21 points of SiC instead of the minimum of 10, you convert at 58 pence per point of SiC. The fact that it takes fewer actions is a big differentiator.

But, as noted previously, the Rare Success from the rat is actually a big freaking deal. The Wiki seems to think it's a 1% drop rate, but that one drop is worth 230 Echoes. This increases the expected value of your earnings by a whopping 2.3 echoes per robbery (minus 4 pence). At an average return of 6.3 Echoes per Robbery, minus 1.74 echoes for the action, you get a net profit of 4.56 echoes, which is 76 pence per point of SiC.

In summary... the optimal choice depends on your personal, subjective relationship with the RNG. The rat is technically more profitable, but literally half of your profit depends on how often you hit a 1% rare success. Personally I think of it as like the Fidgeting Writer but more humane: I'm staking profit on the mercy of the RNG, but on a bad day instead of walking away with nothing, I get a consolation prize that's actually good. Technically suboptimal, but still better than even spirifage. Still, if you're averse to banking on rare successes for money, accept the gift from the Capering Relicker instead.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/PSGarak
+2 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

3/16/2018
RNG can be a curse or a blessing. On that SiC run I got my first rare success after 102 attempts, the second after a whopping 226, but 3rd was after only 19.

Most certain the rare success is 1% as it stands up after 598 attempts so, long term, each point of SiC is worth ~1.02E while robbing a rat. Taking the rough E value of the card, you can safely use it while on SiC 4+2 if you can't hold it for too long.

Not sure, but I think 300 Souls are worth around 9E for a Spirifer so you can go for the card at 4+3 easily if you manage to "lose" your soul! Big Grin

--
+1 link
xKiv
xKiv

3/16/2018
Optimatum wrote:
Subscribing gives you 31 days of subscription. Some months, if you subscribe the day before the story changes, you can unlock that story, unlock the next one when it changes, and you'll still have a day or two left when the story changes again.

Nitpick: I watched the counter roll over a few times (give or take some minutes/hours around the exact rollover time), and I am now convinced it actually gives as many days of subscription as there is in the (next? this?) month. I have definitely seen it go both to 31 and 30. I din't check around february.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/xKiv - a witchful, percussive, dangermous and shadowry scholar of coexplodence, hopsidirean, and walker of fallen kitties.
0 link
Holden
Holden

3/17/2018
I have two separate accounts, which I flip cards on compulsively, and on neither of them have I seen a single Chess dreams card once this year. Hell: the newer of the two is a PoSI with all stats naturally higher than 130, and it still has Chess Dreams 0. Am I just getting the most utterly bizarre RNG in the world, or is there something wrong with the chess dreams?

--
Ophelia Caldecott is probably burgling something from your lodgings as you read this.
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

3/17/2018
There's very few Chess dreams cards, and iirc they're all rather rare. It was the last dream I maxed by quite a ways.

Skinnyman wrote:
Jolanda Swan wrote:

Talking about Memories. You somehow got 4?

I thought that the Memories just gave a set range, and it was the RN where the upper bound scaled with stats? That's the impression I had with the equivalent option on the Constables card. Of course, I never tried either option with low stats.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

For the holiday season, send me Christmas Cards for sips of Cider! Fogscapes with Tentacles strongly preferred. (Only one per character, sorry!)

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+1 link
Meradine Heidenreich
Meradine Heidenreich

3/17/2018
@ Holden
The RNG hates you. I have chess dreams at the same level as all the others (16) except Burial of the Dead (way ahead at 22) and What the Thunder Said (low due to visiting divine mind).

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Meradine%20Heidenreich

The Starveling kit
Gobbled up the bit
of cheese on my tray ..
"O Weh!"

No plant battles, please.
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

3/17/2018
Optimatum wrote:
I thought that the Memories just gave a set range, and it was the RN where the upper bound scaled with stats? That's the impression I had with the equivalent option on the Constables card. Of course, I never tried either option with low stats.

At 250+ Persuasive I had 3 Memories plus 4 and 14 RN on the first uses of the card. Few observations later I saw that RNs are completely random, but this got me thinking now. I'll start gathering data!

--
0 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

3/17/2018
Ι got 3 memories and 30 RN. Never 4 memories, though.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
0 link
Dudebro Pyro
Dudebro Pyro

3/17/2018
So I stopped playing for a bit around two weeks ago, and lo and behold my TtH came two days early.
...And then once more, on time.

Was this some universal hiccup, or was I the only one to be blessed with double time that week? (Which I squandered anyway due to not playing at all.)

--
Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
0 link
Anchovies
Anchovies

3/18/2018
Has there been any answer/update anywhere from Failbetter regarding the need to pay Fate twice and switch sides in MotFO twice to exchange the Photographs for the Teeth spouse?
Iona Dre'emt wrote:
Ok, if so then you know the sidebar snippet about the brisk songbird trade and the Foreign Office? Am I allowed to know why that is without Fate?
The full answer to that mystery is very deep in the Mysteries of the Foreign Office fate-locked content. Hojotoho is a very good Exceptional Story which ties into the larger background of the sidebar snippet, and I very strongly recommend playing Hojotoho first. That's how I experienced them, and the revelation of what those birds are for is without question my most memorable FL experience.
edited by Anchovies on 3/18/2018

--
Perhaps our role on this planet is not to worship God — but to create Him.
—Sir Arthur C Clarke

Lionel Anchovies. Most social actions welcome. Always open to some delicious roleplaying. Please no betrayals, photographer, or lethal sparring. My Time, the Healer arrives on Saturdays at 14:30 GMT
0 link
Slyblue
Slyblue

3/18/2018
So if I, say, accidentally deleted the twitter account linked to one of my characters...Is there any way I can log in said character's account, or is this character lost forever to the void?

--
The Smiling Violinist The Curt Licentiate The Dreamless Truth-Seeker

"For hearts of truest mettle, absence doth join and Time doth settle."
0 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

3/18/2018
Sounds like a question for support.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

For the holiday season, send me Christmas Cards for sips of Cider! Fogscapes with Tentacles strongly preferred. (Only one per character, sorry!)

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+1 link
Aniline
Aniline

3/18/2018
Holden wrote:
I have two separate accounts, which I flip cards on compulsively, and on neither of them have I seen a single Chess dreams card once this year. Hell: the newer of the two is a PoSI with all stats naturally higher than 130, and it still has Chess Dreams 0. Am I just getting the most utterly bizarre RNG in the world, or is there something wrong with the chess dreams?

I have the same problem with chess dreams on my alt. She's a POSI now and still Recalling the Surface because I want to see the chess option that requires it. No chess cards whatsoever.

--
Melantha Prescott, the Suspicious Statistician. "3% failure chances crop up nine times out of ten."
Francesca Ayers-Kernighan, bat-hunter, cat-whisperer
+1 link