Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Returning to Court- Laureate Among Poets: A Guide Messages in this topic - RSS

Tay1or
Tay1or

11 days ago
Actually, I have +53 of Persuasive equipment, etc. So actually, if I overcap to 215 to work toward Prominence, all I need is a mood card on top of that, right? 207 would do it--but I'd go all the way to 215. 290 Persuasive doesn't seem quite as far away as 300 Watchful did. That last 5 or 10 of Watchful was a bear.
0 link
Alice Lutwidge
Alice Lutwidge

11 days ago
Tay1or wrote:
Actually, I have +53 of Persuasive equipment, etc. So actually, if I overcap to 215 to work toward Prominence, all I need is a mood card on top of that, right? 207 would do it--but I'd go all the way to 215. 290 Persuasive doesn't seem quite as far away as 300 Watchful did. That last 5 or 10 of Watchful was a bear.

In this case, 207 unfortunately wouldn't be quite enough. I looked at your profile (to get a breakdown of your setup and give a better explanation based off of it, not to creep! :P) and your total bonuses before using a Mood will actually be +45--since Moods take up the hat slot, to get a more accurate total you should exclude your current hat.

However! Since you said your plan is to overcap all the way to Persuasive 215, +45 actually will be enough. After using a Mood, you'll then get +75 from your gear, plus 215 will equal 290 exactly smile

--
Professor Alice Lutwidge
Poet-Laureate, Correspondent, Legendary Charisma
+1 link
Tay1or
Tay1or

11 days ago
Ah--yes, thanks! I keep forgetting about the mood taking the hat slot! I did Courier's Footprint before going for PP, in fact I only went for 215 because I had CF. This time around, I'll wait until I have 215, anyway. Thanks so much for the reply!
0 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

11 days ago
Estelle Knoht wrote:
Optimatum wrote:
We had the weird giving-items-qualities thing for that with Enthralling, back in the day. (Not sure if that was removed or just made invisible though.)

A separate inventory category for literary works would be nice though.

Item tags are most likely removed. That goes for both Intoxicated and Enthralling.

Then again, Enthralling was a bit all over the places (it seemed a bit odd for the newspaper ingredients to have it, for example) and the only time it was helpful was trading in Short Stories during Election.

Intoxicated got used a couple times in Flint and other places. I wonder how those options have changed...

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles or Affluent Photographer requests; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
0 link
genesis
genesis

11 days ago
Optimatum wrote:

Intoxicated got used a couple times in Flint and other places. I wonder how those options have changed...

They now simply require cheap wine.
edited by genesis on 11/13/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/mikey_thinkin

Keeping track of incomplete content and loose ends in Fallen London
0 link
Reinol von Lorica
Reinol von Lorica

10 days ago
So getting Persuasive to 290 is only possible with a Mood Card? Or is there still a way?

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Reinol%20von%20Lorica
0 link
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu

10 days ago
With a Persuasive destiny and overcapping as legendary charisma it's possible without a mood. I wouldn't switch a destiny or specialization for that though, since mood cards are easy enough to come by (I get 3-4 every month).
0 link
dov
dov

10 days ago
Kaijyuu wrote:
mood cards are easy enough to come by (I get 3-4 every month).

I get 2-3 of them a year :-(

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+3 link
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu

10 days ago
I discard them all since I have no use for them :V
0 link
Tay1or
Tay1or

10 days ago
A number of the new options (fictional film and documentary, Nocturnal and Elder Continent poems) give you the chance to stock up on the first tier items that lead to the third tier making waves carousel. That'll make the notability grind much easier.
0 link
Reinol von Lorica
Reinol von Lorica

9 days ago
Kaijyuu wrote:
With a Persuasive destiny and overcapping as legendary charisma it's possible without a mood. I wouldn't switch a destiny or specialization for that though, since mood cards are easy enough to come by (I get 3-4 every month).

Alas, the destiny bereft upon me is a Watchful one. Though I hope you are right in that regard of moods. I've only drawn 3 in my few months playing.
0 link
dov
dov

9 days ago
Drake Dynamo wrote:
advancing the Poet-Laureate quality does not simply subtract the requisite points of a Fine Piece- it zeros it (I learned this the hard way, having 7 points when I needed 6).

An update:

This was a bug (the regular success/failure didn't actually remove the "A Fine Piece" quality, but it reduced one more than it should have).

According to FBG this should now be fixed - regular success/failure in advancing "A Poet-Laureate" should only cost you as many "A Fine Piece" as the option's requirements state (formula = (5 + current "A Poet-Laureate" level) ).

And there's still the rare success in which you might either lose *or* gain a few levels of "A Fine Piece" instead - full range/formula to be confirmed (observed values: loss of 0-4, gain of 0-5).

--
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+3 link
Dudebro Pyro
Dudebro Pyro

8 days ago
So that means you can stock up on, what is it, 310 fine piece before cashing it all in at once? Neat.

--
Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
0 link
dov
dov

8 days ago
Dudebro Pyro wrote:
So that means you can stock up on, what is it, 310 fine piece before cashing it all in at once? Neat.

Yes.

But because of the rare success, you might not need that many after all.

--
0 link
Tay1or
Tay1or

8 days ago
Ah--I'd been wondering about that because the last couple times I cashed in, it didn't take it all if I had extra! Hooray! Glad it was a bug--this makes a lot more sense.
0 link
idyl
idyl

8 days ago
dov wrote:
And there's still the rare success in which you might either lose *or* gain a few levels of "A Fine Piece" instead - full range/formula to be confirmed (observed values: loss of 0-4, gain of 0-5).
To update your observed values, I've gained 6 on a rare success: https://imgur.com/laoOuJ7
0 link
dov
dov

8 days ago
idyl wrote:
dov wrote:
To update your observed values, I've gained 6 on a rare success: https://imgur.com/laoOuJ7

I wonder if the possible range for the rare success is dependent on the current level of "A Poet-Laureate".

--
+1 link
genesis
genesis

8 days ago
dov wrote:

I wonder if the possible range for the rare success is dependent on the current level of "A Poet-Laureate".

From the screenshot above, the simplest formula matching those figures would be "Poet-Laureate - 5", which would also account for the rare success both increasing and decreasing A Fine Piece (since for PL < 5, the change would be negative)

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/mikey_thinkin

Keeping track of incomplete content and loose ends in Fallen London
+1 link
idyl
idyl

8 days ago
dov wrote:
I almost definitely think so. What genesis says about "Poet-Laureate - 5" makes sense too. I haven't had a rare success since that one, which was almost two weeks ago. If I get another, I'll check to see if the formula works.

edit: One of my old rare success matches this formula: https://i.imgur.com/io3y9NL.jpg

and the other example from that reddit thread matches as well: https://i.redditmedia.com/YCC39YJjj02CVH3yfcND-wZ2UqykOa0GT7Vx_jQDefc.png?w=431&s=02864a97f718e55ed69e5012266f1920

I'm certain now that genesis has the correct idea with this. Good eye.

The rare success results in your "A Fine Piece" level changing by [your new Poet-Laureate level - 5]

~~~~~
edited by idyl on 11/16/2017
0 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

8 days ago
That's definitely not it. Maybe the range scales with Poet-Laureate, but for my first level I got the rare success and lost 4 AFP rather than gaining any.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles or Affluent Photographer requests; all other social actions welcome.

PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
0 link