Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Returning to Court- Laureate Among Poets: A Guide Messages in this topic - RSS

Drake Dynamo
Drake Dynamo

10/19/2017
So, it appears returning to the Empress's court has added a new option: become a Poet Laureate. Since, of the players I have spoken with, I appear to be the furthest along, I will endeavor to explain how this mechanic seems to work so far, making any necessary updates as I go along.

First, completing a work in the Empress's court now nets you a quality called "a Fine Piece." Projects that require 34 inspiration will give you 3 points of a Fine Piece, while projects that require 24 will only give you 2 points.

Second, to be able to "accept your due" as a laureate, you need to raise a separate quality (aptly titled "a Poet-Laureate") to 20 via the "submit your work for consideration" option in the Laureate Among Poets storylet. Raising the Poet-Laureate quality requires spending your Fine Piece quality. To go from 0 to 1 require 5 points of a Fine Piece.

On the surface, this doesn't seem so bad. 1 large project and 1 small project, 20 times. However, going from level 1 to 2 of a Poet-Laureate costs 6 points of a Fine Piece, and currently the requirement to go from 2 to 3 is 7 points of a Fine Piece. Furthermore, advancing the Poet-Laureate quality does not simply subtract the requisite points of a Fine Piece- it zeros it (I learned this the hard way, having 7 points when I needed 6).

If the Fine Piece requirement continues to rise at a rate of 1 per level, that means that going from Poet-Laureate 19 to 20 will cost a whopping 24 points of a Fine Piece ( the equivalent of eight 34 inspiration projects, or twelve 24 inspiration projects). Because this quality zeroes upon each advancement, you'll have to do the exact number of works required to avoid 'wasting' points of this quality.
To conclude, this looks like it's turning out to be quite a lengthy grind.

If your experience has been different than mine, or if it appears I've gotten anything wrong, please let me know and I'll do my best to amend this.

Edit: Thanks to user idyl, who did a lot of the math I was too lazy to do, and came up with this handy dandy chart. https://imgur.com/2b7VI2a
I will follow this path, and see how it goes.
Edit #2: Suinicide has informed me that there is a rare success going from one level of Poet Laureate to the next where your Fine Piece quality is only halved.
edited by Drake Dynamo on 10/20/2017
edited by Drake Dynamo on 10/21/2017

--
Oh no. Another post from that goon who goes on about statistics.

Drake Dynamo -Correspondent, Hesperidean Cider Drinker , Matchmaker, and Paramount Presence
The Antioch - The Coffee God (I do not check this account often)
Mr. Mauvais - A ghostly skullduggerous fellow, chopped up for the time being (Only active during seasonal events)

Guide to becoming a Poet-Laureate
If you need to discuss RP matters, I can typically be found on the IRC in #Argo.
+8 link
Dudebro Pyro
Dudebro Pyro

10/19/2017
The interesting thing is that Inspiration 24 is 300CP, and 34 is 595CP. So before being banished, the 34-inspiration works give double the rewards of 24-inspiration works. I find it very curious that this isn't the case here - and it also means that it's not actually wasteful to write two 24-inspiration works for 4 Fine Piece even if you only need 3 FP points, since you'd have expended the same amount of actions on the 34-inspiration work anyway.

Using this fact, we can calculate that 150 24-inspiration works are needed to reach PL20 (sum from 3 to 12, multiplied by 2). Assuming 10 inspiration per action (please correct me if this isn't accurate once you get unbanished - I still haven't been banished in the first place), and without taking into account rare successes, that's 4,500 actions. Using the 15-inspiration option that messes with your quirks (again, assuming that doesn't change after you get banished), it's 3,000 actions.

So overall, about a month's grind or so.

--
Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
+1 link
Aniline
Aniline

10/19/2017
Do the long works still give the items ("Copy of Your ...")?

--
Melantha Prescott. Extraordinary Mind, EF, A: Heart's Desire, Correspondent, tripping on purple.

"3% failure chances crop up nine times out of ten."
+1 link
Sara Hysaro
Sara Hysaro

10/19/2017
I tried out Films and didn't get anything for that, so it seems reasonable to assume that there aren't any new ones. I imagine the old options will still provide the item souvenirs.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sara%20Hysaro
Please do not send SMEN, cat boxes, or Affluent Reporter requests. All other social actions are welcome.

Are you a Scarlet Saint? Send a message my way to be added to the list.
0 link
Sir Frederick
Sir Frederick
Administrator

10/19/2017
Fashion didn't give a keepsake either. I'm working on a poem now - I'll report back if there are any new options there!

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
+1 link
Delta67
Delta67

10/20/2017
That sounds quite absurd, far worse than any other grinding (cider excluded). Well, it's for end-game so if I'm cleared with other goals I'd be after this one.

--
The reminiscence of a seeker. He was Delta67, He will not be again. Open for social activities, lethal sparring bouts preferred.

And who's this? Freshly arrived at Neath? Also feel free to send social activities to my alt.
0 link
Winthropx
Winthropx

10/20/2017
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook wrote:
Fashion didn't give a keepsake either. I'm working on a poem now - I'll report back if there are any new options there!

There are two new options for both poem and novel works.

--
Bishop Winthrop, a kind-hearted soul
A Former Extraordinary Mind, Current Invisible Eminence
I accept all social actions except Investigating the Affluent Photographer
+1 link
Waterpls
Waterpls

10/20/2017
Is it basically good old Symphony @ The lead? Just as SotC:10 grind but much longer.

I hope in the end there is option to spend 400 000+ moon pearls on something. Or just swim in them.
edited by Waterpls on 10/20/2017
0 link
Sir Frederick
Sir Frederick
Administrator

10/20/2017
Winthropx wrote:

Just finished my poem and there were actually three new options - a zailing poem, an Elder Continent poem, and a poem based on my artistic school (in this case, the Nocturnals). If all the schools are included, that's seven new poems!

--
FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
+3 link
suinicide
suinicide

10/20/2017
Same for novels!

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/sunnytime
A gentleman seeking the liberation of knowledge, with a penchant for violence.
RIP suinicide, stuck in a well. Still has it under control.
+1 link
Sara Hysaro
Sara Hysaro

10/20/2017
Not so for Symphonies, at least - the only school related option I saw there was to not be associated with any of them.

--
Please do not send SMEN, cat boxes, or Affluent Reporter requests. All other social actions are welcome.

0 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

10/20/2017
Winthropx wrote:

Just finished my poem and there were actually three new options - a zailing poem, an Elder Continent poem, and a poem based on my artistic school (in this case, the Nocturnals). If all the schools are included, that's seven new poems!

suinicide wrote:
Same for novels!

Omigawd, your artistic school seriously plays a role?! ^_^ That's fantastic!!

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair

Happy Hallowmas! Please share your Feducci interactions!

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic25298-share-your-feducci-interactions.aspx?MessageID=207908#post207908
+1 link
Sir Frederick
Sir Frederick
Administrator

10/20/2017
Pretty damn cool! I have put my Nocturnal Rhapsody on my mantel - it's rather sweet!

--
+2 link
Winthropx
Winthropx

10/20/2017
Winthropx wrote:

Oh, I forgot about the school options. The poem a Nocturals option, the novel had the bazaar associated school for an option. The other schools don't have an option in these works.

--
Bishop Winthrop, a kind-hearted soul
A Former Extraordinary Mind, Current Invisible Eminence
I accept all social actions except Investigating the Affluent Photographer
+1 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

10/20/2017
Winthropx wrote:
Winthropx wrote:

Oh, I forgot about the school options. The poem a Nocturals option, the novel had the bazaar associated school for an option. The other schools don't have an option in these works.

Do the Celestials or Mycologenes show up in any other works?

--

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic25298-share-your-feducci-interactions.aspx?MessageID=207908#post207908
0 link
The Soft-Hearted Revolutionary

10/20/2017
Although I don't remember in which category, I have seen both an option for the Mycologenes and for having no School, so Celestials should be somewhere
+1 link
Sara Hysaro
Sara Hysaro

10/20/2017
Mycologenes have a ballet! Sure to be exciting.

--

+1 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

10/20/2017
The Soft-Hearted Revolutionary wrote:
Although I don't remember in which category, I have seen both an option for the Mycologenes and for having no School, so Celestials should be somewhere

What was the No School one?

--

0 link
Sara Hysaro
Sara Hysaro

10/20/2017
That's the Symphony option I mentioned above. smile

--

0 link

10/20/2017
Anne Auclair wrote:
The Soft-Hearted Revolutionary wrote:

What was the No School one?

It's a Symphony as well
EDIT:Found the Celestial option as well, it's a Play
edited by The Soft-Hearted Revolutionary on 10/20/2017
+1 link
1234 ..10