Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

October's Exceptional Story: The Stone Guest Messages in this topic - RSS

Absintheuse
Absintheuse
Administrator

23 days ago
Delicious friends, the Exceptional Story for October is here!

Don Juan: de Molina created him in poetry, Moliere brought him to the stage, Mozart immortalised him in music. And now, if you can revive fallen spirits, broker a deal with devils, fend off rude cabbies, etc., you shall join a collection of the Neath's greatest artists to capture his life and after-life in moving pictures.

The Stone Guest is the second story in the Season of Sceptres, and was written by Cash DeCuir. This season, experience three stories that involve the use and abuse of power in an array of London professions. You can begin each from the Season of Sceptres card.

At the end of the season, players who have completed all three will go a step farther, unlocking bonus content involving the exiled Injurious Princess, and her plan to reclaim the throne of Vesture.

Editing and QA: Olivia Wood, Chris Gardner and Caolain Porter.

Art by Tobias Cook.

EXCEPTIONAL FRIENDSHIP

In addition to a new, substantial, stand-alone story every month, Exceptional Friends enjoy:
  • Access to the House of Chimes: an exclusive private member's club on the Stolen River, packed with content
  • An expanded opportunity deck: of ten cards instead of six!
  • A second candle: Twice the actions! 40 at once!

Finishing all three stories in the Season of Sceptres will make you eligible for an additional opportunity, to follow.

If you want to keep an Exceptional Story beyond the month it’s for, you must complete the related storylet in the current Season’s card throughout London. This will save it for you to return to another time.

edited by Absintheuse on 9/28/2017
+6 link
Robin Alexander
Robin Alexander

23 days ago
I'm curious how parts like "Mayor Feducci" will hold up over time; will they be changed to the new mayor's name, or will just the 'mayor' be removed to have Feducci as his own character, or will it be left in to thus date the story to a specific timeline in the game?

I absolutely love the writing in this one; it's so vivid and paints a beautiful image in one's mind, and it's an absolute delight to read so far. I'm a little less keen on the art; I love the promotional picture, but the film-maker hits the "uncanny valley" mark too strong for me, which is a little off-putting. The OP art, though? Perfection! I love the detail and style and sheer personality that shines though.

Also, I'm unable to record the entry for flirting with the cabbie. I think that's bugged. I've gone forward anyway, but a little irksome . . .

This is also feeling linear to a bit of an extreme. The "Grand Hunt" is extremely repetitive, too. I do appreciate the zero-action cost on parts of exploration or extra dialogue, as it feels like nothing is 'wasted' and yet enables me to see everything.

I've now found a bug. "Truth in Magic" just says "root" with no way to progress . . . (fixed now, though).

I'm also vastly disliking the sudden action cost on dialogue, as it's just a unnecessary way to make the story feel longer . . . the content isn't actually any longer, but an action-sink has been added to give that impression, and all it's causing me to do is skip two options to just go right to the end, instead of playing the last two actions, else then it's 30 minutes before I can even get to the ending of the story, and all for no real reason.

Edit: I'm also a little annoyed by the final decision; if my renown can go past the cap, why not my magnanimous quality? I gave up my reward, only to seemingly get half of what I should, because the cap on one wasn't removed (which is possibly, as other stories took me past the cap) . . . to be honest, I feel this story started very strong, but was filled with false choice, action sinks, and various bugs. It ended up very "meh" for me, if I'm honest. I am curious what happens if you say "I told you so" to him at the end about the composer; my character didn't have the heart to do so.
edited by Robin Alexander on 9/28/2017

--
Robin Alexander - Main
Benjamin Parker - Gone North
Lucius Parker - Son of Benjamin Parker (Alt)

Open to all social actions.
+1 link
suinicide
suinicide

23 days ago
I can't seem to echo anything from this story, anybody else having this trouble?

Edit: refreshing fixed the problem.
edited by suinicide on 9/28/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/sunnytime
A gentleman seeking the liberation of knowledge, with a penchant for violence.
RIP suinicide, stuck in a well. Still has it under control.
0 link
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook
Administrator

23 days ago
I wondered why my action pool seemed smaller - I'd forgotten to update my details and my subscription lapsed! I was about to come here and ask where in the Neath the new story was hiding.

--
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook, the Libertarian Esotericist. Reginald Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Ms Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
+1 link
Reused NPC
Reused NPC

23 days ago
So evidently I missed something... I'm currently filming in the Forgotten Quarter, and I currently have two options: reload the camera or fire. Why would I want to fire exactly? It seems like a bad idea in all its forms.

--
ReusedNPC, a d__ned lunatic. Send him a cat.

Edmund Viric, a rather dreamy sort.

Available for Enigma enquiries.
0 link
suinicide
suinicide

23 days ago
It pushes the devils away from you, which is a good thing.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/sunnytime
A gentleman seeking the liberation of knowledge, with a penchant for violence.
RIP suinicide, stuck in a well. Still has it under control.
0 link
Reused NPC
Reused NPC

23 days ago
Ah, yeah. I guess that's dependant on whether you're staging a fake Hunt or doing a real one.

(Personally, I'm far too nervous to go with a real hunt. Just think of all the risk! Even if death is only temporary, it's still a d__nable inconvenience to the staff.)

--

0 link
Passionario
Passionario

23 days ago
"Told You So" wins my personal award of the year for Best Quality Description and Best Quality Change Description.
edited by Passionario on 9/28/2017

--
This is my profile and this is my light.
These are my words to the merciful night.
+5 link
Von Darken
Von Darken

23 days ago
Noticed possibly my favorite typo since I started playing. When getting a demonstration from the Idealistic Magician I saw this:
"And with a well timed pull of this line," he says – and viola!

I simply love the image of him pulling his little string on a box and a small violin popping out. He sounds so proud as well.

--
Mannfred von Darken - Accidentally aiding the forces of Evil since 1893
+10 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond

23 days ago
Found a different typo, in the storylet where you're collecting payment. It's at the end of the first paragraph: "He cuts you off as you politely your name." There needs to be a verb between "politely" and "your". Possibly "spell"? "repeat"?

--
Cathy Raymond
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/cathyr19355

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
0 link
Reused NPC
Reused NPC

23 days ago
Thoughts on this ES:
I feel like some of the options other than watching the moving picture should be free during the final section. I missed some of the parts because I wanted to... well, to tell the person behind me to shut up, then ask him about the patrons five seconds later.
I'm thoroughly satisfied with the existence of the "I told you so" quality, even though actually using it was a little (suitably) disappointing.
And I'm also glad that you get to put your hard-earned Echoes towards a good cause. The composer's happiness (and those few points of Renown: Bohemians and Society) are worth infinitely more than three or four rounds of AotB's worth of echoes. ...Although the composer's happiness is ALSO worth more to me than the echoes AND the renown.

And a question: After the viewing, is Feducci always annoyed, and the Veteran Privy Counselor always satisfied? Or does that change based on things like whether you did a real or fake hunt, or how you dealt with the appearing act?

Edit: The description of the "I told you so" quality was a little spoiling, though...
edited by ReusedNPC on 9/28/2017

--

+5 link
loredeluxe
loredeluxe

23 days ago
I really haven't liked this season's stories so far because the story simply feels boring and mundane to me. There just hasn't been anything bizarre and otherworldly enough to get my interest, especially coming off the back of the excellent Season of Ruins and the Light Fingers update. Yeah, the last story had a reality bending device and this story had some minor Parabola fluff and a devil Grand Hunt, but the backdrop of these moments have felt so down to earth. Being a lawyer and helping with a movie just didn't excite me compared to other aspects of the Fallen London setting.
+3 link
Xue
Xue

23 days ago
I really enjoyed this story. It was really fun dealing with the many challenges of shooting a film in the Neath. It really makes me wonder how the film industry would function in Fallen London.

My favorite part was shooting the finale. I've always wanted to partake in one of those hunts. :3

My only critique was that the ending was a bit mellow. I was, however, expecting for some 'Don Juan' shenanigans with the Impresario the end. In a setting with devils, Hell, and other Neathy madness, that could reasonably happen. Ah well, c'est la vie. Watching the film was a blast at the end.

In the end, great job. Much better work than last month's lawyer story.
+1 link
Hotshot Blackburn
Hotshot Blackburn

23 days ago
Does anyone happen to have Echoes of watching the full film, particularly anyone who also happened to use the Rubbery option earlier on?

The rest of the story seemed fine, but I'm a little disgruntled that you miss the ability to see the movie if you choose other options during that time. Especially since there is no notification other than a small part of the title changing on one specific storylet. Damnit, I was hoping to see what picking the Rubbery option actually *did*

--
Hotshot Blackburn! Stalker of Beasts, Hunter of Thrills, and Mercenary for Equity - at your service!
+3 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond

23 days ago
Hotshot Blackburn wrote:
Does anyone happen to have Echoes of watching the full film, particularly anyone who also happened to use the Rubbery option earlier on?

The rest of the story seemed fine, but I'm a little disgruntled that you miss the ability to see the movie if you choose other options during that time. Especially since there is no notification other than a small part of the title changing on one specific storylet. Damnit, I was hoping to see what picking the Rubbery option actually *did*

I agree about watching the film. I chose to omit the elements I thought would be the least interesting, but I still would like to know what it's like.

--
Cathy Raymond

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
+2 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond

23 days ago
I've just finished doing the Story. I'm a bit disappointed. I'm sure that "The Stone Giant" was a great film, but I'm not all that interested in a story of filming in the Neath. It seemed a bit longer than "Trial and Error" but since I enjoyed it less, that's not an advantage. :-(

--
Cathy Raymond

+1 link
Thjazi
Thjazi

23 days ago
Reused NPC wrote:

And a question: After the viewing, is Feducci always annoyed, and the Veteran Privy Counselor always satisfied? Or does that change based on things like whether you did a real or fake hunt, or how you dealt with the appearing act?

edited by ReusedNPC on 9/28/2017

Oh. *interesting*. I had exactly the opposite result-- Feducci very satisfied with the movie, and the Privy Councilor unimpressed. I wonder which choices change that...

--
open to all friendly social actions except The Affluent Photographer and Loitering. Boxed cats (or are they), deceit, poisoning etc. only by arrangement.
+3 link
Rackenhammer
Rackenhammer

23 days ago
Honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I actually tend to like when London shows it's more 'domestic' as opposed to its more fantastical side. It really shows what life is like for NPC's, just trying to live like normal Englishmen and Women while at the edges of their lives, otherworldly things creep in.

My favorite part was just the subtle ways in which one's decisions affected the results, not in general, but in detail. Again, to go back to my point about preferring realism; we're not the star of the show, but our actions made a noticeable difference come the final result. Thematically appropriate for the movie-making plot.

Again, I'll echo that the main downside is that the conversations surrounding the movie felt... hm, the one I picked had an interesting tidbit, sure, but I ultimately regret not actually seeing the results of my work. It's a bit like Millicent's conversation, I suppose, only a limited number of things you can read. Still, there's a distinct assymetry in how satisfying each option is to take, as opposed to the dream in Lost in Reflections. While you can only see so many branches, you never feel as if you picked the worst option.

That's really my only complaint, though.

--
"DO NOT TRUST HAPPY ENDINGS. DO NOT FEAR SAD ENDINGS... NEITHER ARE ENDINGS."
~
Mathieu Psmith: The Bard of Lost Children, loving husband, and a fixture of the artistic set. Can never resist making a show of things...

Irene Psmith: Adopted Daughter of Mathieu. Specializes in Information, Acquisitions, and the Acquisition of Information.

Vaughan Montblanc: Once a frontiersman of Western Canada, he now practices medicine in London. His discretion may be absolutely trusted.
+6 link
Gul al-Ahlaam
Gul al-Ahlaam

22 days ago
I chose the Scandalous third option for the debauch, the True Hunt for the damnation, and Pleat's Method for the effect. Feducci adored it, the Councilor was unimpressed. Presumably more exciting and realistic choices strike Feducci's fancy, while more reserved ones interest the Councilor.

• Speaking of which, this was a wonderful story! I really enjoyed all the different little aspects of it. Stories about small things and all the intricate ways they work themselves out are always fun! It's important to have stories that emphasize fine detail and human life as well as wondrous events and strange creatures, and I think in the right hands they can be even more captivating. Cash definitely has the right hands, and he has yet to disappoint. A very strong story from beginning to end. ^_^

• edited by Gul al-Ahlaam on 9/28/2017

--
    Grow strong. Life runs hot. Forget the Judgements.
  • +1 link
    ExceptionallyDelicious
    ExceptionallyDelicious

22 days ago
    Could someone explain the "I Told You So" quality to me? Are there multiple opportunities to inject your opinion in the story, but you can only choose one?

--
    Any and all social actions are appreciated, and most will be reciprocated.

DavidJ: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/DavidJ
    0 link