Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Skies

For the discussion of our next game, coming 2018.

Feedback Focus: Terror Messages in this topic - RSS

Lord Garuda
Lord Garuda

10/17/2017
I've been playing a few different games now with different save files, so I've had more experience with the Terror mechanic and I would like to share my thoughts before next week.

Like other people have said, it's really easy to gain Terror. There are two areas where I would say that this negatively impacts the game, and the first one is combat. I've got my locomotive pretty well equipped for space combat, but the time that it takes to kill a Marauder or Cantankerus (is "us" the singular for these things?) and pick up its remains is Terror ticking up all the while. I tend to be pretty thorough in planning my runs so that they snake through Port Avon, Magdalene's or Lustrum at some point for the Terror reduction, and while these ports help, I feel myself torn between fighting and getting one more Port Report. I think being a bit on edge is a good way to play Sunless Skies, but not at the expense of the other mechanics.

The other thing is that I have to be incredibly careful not to rack up over 65 Terror before heading from the ports in the outer circle back to New Winchester, and by "ports in the outer circle" I mostly mean Carillon. It's hard to make it there without at least 45 Terror due to the combat issue that I mentioned earlier, and it's hard to know when to stop doing Penance checks and head back to New Winchester. I like Carillon and I think that it's a cool port with lots of neat events, but at the same time it's no fun to head there, get nothing but Terror for my troubles and increase my Condition right before I hit New Winchester.

I do like Conditions though. The idea of Terror sticking to you in a much more difficult to remove form is great, especially since events get slowly worse as you get higher condition. And Wonders of both kinds just sound great in general. And really, I do like feeling a bit on edge as I travel through the High Wilderness, and the game has done a great job of making me feel that so far. I'm sure that things will be different when the next patch arrives, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you all work the mechanic.
+1 link
FailbetterFuzz
FailbetterFuzz
Administrator

28 days ago

Thanks for the continued feedback, please do keep contributing folks.

We'd like to get as many people involved on these focused feedback threads as possible, so please add your voice even if you think your point had already been made my someone else. It's important for us to see if there's a consensus or similar themes running through people's minds. you see.

Interesting thoughts about the combat and it's implications for Terror @Lord Garuda, thank you.
0 link
Nanako
Nanako

1 days ago
I'd like to see some emergency fallback options we could use in the field, to reduce terror a little and buy time to limp back home.

Things like using up tea/extra supplies in order to throw a little party for the crew and cheer them up a bit. Maybe burn excess fuel to have a little fireworks display. Calibrate the terror reduction so its a fairly expensive and inefficient way to clear terror

--
Looking forward to sunless skies!
0 link
Agatheis
Agatheis

12 hours ago
A quick couple of ideas on visual cues for Terror...

The Division had a survival mode where you have to (surprise!) survive in a blizzard. If you got too cold, frost and ice would appear around the periphery of the player's screen:

I've also seen an example of blood vessels appearing in the player's vision, something like this:

My suggestion would be to have these kinds of effect creep into the edges of the screen as Terror rises.

A.

+1 link
trajing
trajing

11 hours ago
Agatheis wrote:
A quick couple of ideas on visual cues for Terror...

The Division had a survival mode where you have to (surprise!) survive in a blizzard. If you got too cold, frost and ice would appear around the periphery of the player's screen:

[images snipped]

I don't mean to sound negative, but I really don't like it when notifications are part of the screen viewing the game instead of the HUD -- that sort of thing tends to obscure areas toward the edge of the screen, which makes combat significantly more difficult, and I also find it significantly distracting.
edited by trajing on 11/24/2017

--
Adam Sanzelwicky - http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Adam%20Sanzelwicky
0 link