Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Sea

A game of survival, trade and exploration in the universe of Fallen London

On the Priest Background Messages in this topic - RSS

Scienceandponies
Scienceandponies

8/30/2017
So before tackling Sunless Skies, I'm working through all the Sunless Sea ambitions and background I never got around to playing before, which includes find father's bones for each background.

When picking the priest background something caught my attention.

"You fell from grace. There is nothing left ashore for you. An anonymous benefactor has found this way out for you. Perhaps, at zee, you can overcome your appetites."

Err, is that last sentence supposed to make me think of what it is most definitely making me think of?
+2 link
gronostaj
gronostaj

8/30/2017
Oh my god (sic) Probably not intended, but that....... is a very unfortunate phrasing for a priest background indeed

--
Gronostaj (pl. Ermine), an irresistible and lethal individual of mysterious and indistinct gender. Seeker. Willing to die- but not of boredom. Open to all social actions, including mutual murder.
0 link
Scienceandponies
Scienceandponies

8/30/2017
gronostaj wrote:
Oh my god (sic) Probably not intended, but that....... is a very unfortunate phrasing for a priest background indeed

I know, right? I was thinking "Damn, Failbetter. I was expecting dark, but not quite in that way. And it's a hell of an establishing character trait I don't get a choice in."

Most of all, I was surprised how a subsequent search online pulled up nobody ever commenting on it. I can't have been the only person to think this, right?
+2 link
Teaspoon
Teaspoon

8/30/2017
I assume everyone just thought "great! I'm playing a charater who's canonically a cannibal!" and got on with their game.

--
Truth lies at the bottom of a well.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/Alt%20Ern
+2 link
gronostaj
gronostaj

8/30/2017
Teaspoon wrote:
I assume everyone just thought "great! I'm playing a charater who's canonically a cannibal!" and got on with their game.

oh, cannibalism is definitely not an appetite one "overcomes at zee", quite the opposite. At zee, much like in soviet russia, the cannibalism overcomes you, but we're not talking about that particular hm, appetite

--
Gronostaj (pl. Ermine), an irresistible and lethal individual of mysterious and indistinct gender. Seeker. Willing to die- but not of boredom. Open to all social actions, including mutual murder.
+2 link
Vincent Asmund
Vincent Asmund

8/30/2017
Most interesting. I don't think they meant that though.

--

Vincent Åsmund, the inescapable, sagacious, irresistible and compelling Author [Main, PoSI]

Ramses Gamil, The Menacing and Watchful Stranger

Ozymandias, the Newcomer
+2 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

8/30/2017
Isn't the priest background the one where Your Father's Bones is about your father's relation to the Chapel of Lights? That would make it pretty clearly about the more literal appetites.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles or Affluent Photographer requests; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+3 link
slickriptide
slickriptide

8/31/2017
I think it's a mistake to read too literally into something so vague.

"Appetite" could be anything at all, ranging from sexual fetishes to addiction to various "unnatural" predelictions like cannibalism or demon worship. Think Lovecraft.

Since it never affects the story in any way, it's up to you to decide if it means anything at all.
edited by slickriptide on 8/31/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Slickriptide
+3 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

8/31/2017
I assumed it was just a general hedonism thing. You like wine and sordid company a little more than a good priest should.

That being said... I think it's up to you to really imagine your character's background.

--
Isaac Zienfried, 'The Vacillating Belligerent.'
A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
But really, it's hard to keep things simple down here!
+4 link