Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

The Ultimate Guide to Favours and Renown Messages in this topic - RSS

Anchovies
Anchovies

8/12/2017
Wiwo wrote:
One of the endings to The Gift gives a new opportunity card which has an option to pay 50 whispered secrets for a docks favour.
The other ending of the Gift unlocks an opportunity card with an option to pay 1 Incendiary Gossip for a Society favor.

--
Perhaps our role on this planet is not to worship God — but to create Him.
—Sir Arthur C Clarke

Lionel Anchovies. Most social actions welcome. Ready and willing to engage in delicious roleplaying. Please no betrayals, photographer, or lethal sparring. My Time, the Healer arrives on Saturdays at 14:30 GMT
+1 link
Parelle
Parelle

8/13/2017
Um. I'm not too particular usually, but I and some other players put quite a bit of effort in to researching the first three factions when they came out. Since those have separate threads, I would recommend linking to those for those factions as well as the plain text.

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic23818-useful-guides-and-explanations.aspx#post181819

There are also posts via Reddit which may be handy.

And Grenem's work on grinding favours without cards should absolutely be linked to in its own right:
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22266-storylet-favors-grinding.aspx
edited by Parelle on 8/13/2017

--
Parelle, Lady Joseph Marlen. The Singular Librarian. A lowly Watcher, a Player of the Marvelous.
pages from a dusty bookshop: a badly updated FL changelog | Useful Guidance and Explanations
0 link
dov
dov

8/13/2017
Excellent guide. Well done.

From a quick scan, I'll just add that you can also get 1 x Favours: The Docks from the Chandleress at the Department of Menace Eradication, when the Air of London is 96+. (note that it costs 2 actions just to enter the department).

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+1 link
BlabberingMat
BlabberingMat

8/13/2017
Just wanted to say that option with Broken Giant on Brass Ambassador card at party gives 2, not one Favour.

--
Alt-Lana Loter
Main-Always Drunk Slav

"To see a world in a grain of sand, and Heaven in wild flowers.
To hold an infinity in palm of hand and Eternity in an hour”

Finally, I am Crooked Cross! Feel free to send invitations for Salon!
As of June 5th, 1895, I am London's newest Legendary Charisma!

The current progress in Mega Soul Grind: 53727/1 639 121 Souls
+2 link
Vavakx Nonexus
Vavakx Nonexus

8/13/2017
Note on Revolutionary favours:

Agreeing to start Plotting Against the Masters gives at least 1 favour (Doing it for the Cause may give 2, haven't confirmed yet), and you can refuse to continue with the plan and reset your Plotting Against the Masters back to zero + removing all Rev favours you had at the time (you'll have 0 after cashing them in for renown or items). This allows you to do the first step for 1-2 favours again.

It's a bit of a niche grind that requires good timing and/or keeping the 2nd step's card in your hand for a long amount of time, but it's useful for those who don't want to actually support the cause beyond nodding to some revolutionaries every once in a while for RP reasons.

You should also be able to draw Bringing The Revolution, which trades 1 Compromising Document for a Rev favour. There's a possibility it was changed to require 2 levels of Plotting instead of 1, as I haven't managed to draw it yet using my method.

--
Vavakx Nonexus, the Deranged Solicitor: Black-and-Gold. and a Particularly Fancy Dress.

Blabbing, the Hobo Everyone Knows: The One Who Pulls The Strings. Someday.

Hear the Deranged Solicitor's story along with several others at The Tower of Mind and Law: Tales from 'Euphemia'
+1 link
lady ciel
lady ciel

8/13/2017
It's Fate-locked and a matter of luck but the Obdurate Stallion can give a Society Favour and a small suspicion reduction or it increases suspicion.

--
ciel

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome though loitering might be inconvenient at times. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

storynexus name - reveurciel
+1 link
phryne
phryne

8/13/2017
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will add them soon!

Parelle: Don't worry, I have not forgotten about those threads! smile I'll probably link to them in the OP, or in the relevant faction posts. I just wanted to check back on them before I did so to make sure the info there is still accurate.

Edit After having had a look at the old threads, I must say I don't see any use in linking to them. Sorry! I'm sure they were very useful at the time.

A few questions about Fate-locked stories:
[spoiler]
  • What Favours can be gained from Jenny's School? I'm guessing Revolutionaries, Bohemians, Urchins, Great Game and Docks since that would match some of the pupils.
  • Is there an option for TC Favours in Tanah-Chook?
  • Any Favours in Apis Meet?
  • Any Favours from The Face Tailor options on opportunity cards?[/spoiler]
Thanks!
edited by phryne on 8/13/2017

--
a Scarlet Sainta Monster-Huntera Memorya Raven?
Exceptional Stories poll results: 20162017
List of useful thingsFavours & Renown Guide
0 link
Wiwo
Wiwo

8/13/2017
I can speak to the Face Tailor option on the Curt Relicker card, which gives no favours but reduces suspicion and gives scraps.

--
Wiwo. Almost certainly not a squid in a cunningly tailored suit. Surely.

Care for some cider? Here's how to ask me for some. Strange pranks strongly preferred.

I'm a Correspondent and would be delighted to lecture at your orphanage.
0 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

8/13/2017
phryne wrote:
What Favours can be gained from Jenny's School?

[spoiler]
The ones you said plus Church and Tomb-Colonies. And Society, if you have completed The Frequently Deceased.

You can also earn 3 Hell favors in the Labyrinth of Tigers by betraying the Bishop. Requires using fungal treats and a stick, and all 4 beasts which are consumed. Also gives material rewards worth around 50 echoes, wipes Church favors.

[/spoiler]

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/PSGarak
+2 link
Anchovies
Anchovies

8/13/2017
Some favor sources have caps lower than 7. One such case is Rubbery Entrepreneur's card (in PoSI parties); the "heading hopefully in your direction" option has sometimes given me the result of "favors: rubbery men remains unchanged, at 4". I think I recall a docks favor source with a similar below-7 cap, but couldn't say where.

The last chapter of the Empress's Court story starts with the Veteran Privy Counselor asking the player to produce an opera which would get them exiled from court. After accepting the commission, the player gets a chance to decide their motive for carrying out the request. Selecting "For queen and country" gives one or more Great Game favors. I do not know how many it would have given, because I already had 7 favors when I chose that option.

I don't know if any other non-repeatable moments in the Empress's Court story provide favors for recently-converted factions. I have a friend who isn't on the forum but will be entering the court in the near future, so hopefully I can get some first-hand information from their play.

--
Perhaps our role on this planet is not to worship God — but to create Him.
—Sir Arthur C Clarke

Lionel Anchovies. Most social actions welcome. Ready and willing to engage in delicious roleplaying. Please no betrayals, photographer, or lethal sparring. My Time, the Healer arrives on Saturdays at 14:30 GMT
0 link
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu

8/13/2017
Those aren't caps; those are random favors. They can't award half a favor, so sometimes they award a random number between 0 and 1. Unfortunately, the 0 result will give a very misleading message that's similar to hitting the cap.
edited by Kaijyuu on 8/13/2017
0 link
Vavakx Nonexus
Vavakx Nonexus

8/13/2017
Vavakx Nonexus wrote:
Note on Revolutionary favours:

Agreeing to start Plotting Against the Masters gives at least 1 favour (Doing it for the Cause may give 2, haven't confirmed yet), and you can refuse to continue with the plan and reset your Plotting Against the Masters back to zero + removing all Rev favours you had at the time (you'll have 0 after cashing them in for renown or items). This allows you to do the first step for 1-2 favours again.

It's a bit of a niche grind that requires good timing and/or keeping the 2nd step's card in your hand for a long amount of time, but it's useful for those who don't want to actually support the cause beyond nodding to some revolutionaries every once in a while for RP reasons.

You should also be able to draw Bringing The Revolution, which trades 1 Compromising Document for a Rev favour. There's a possibility it was changed to require 2 levels of Plotting instead of 1, as I haven't managed to draw it yet using my method.

Update: Just drew Bringing The Revolution. That option is still awailable making this a much better option for grinding now.

--
Vavakx Nonexus, the Deranged Solicitor: Black-and-Gold. and a Particularly Fancy Dress.

Blabbing, the Hobo Everyone Knows: The One Who Pulls The Strings. Someday.

Hear the Deranged Solicitor's story along with several others at The Tower of Mind and Law: Tales from 'Euphemia'
+1 link
dov
dov

8/13/2017
Kaijyuu wrote:
Those aren't caps; those are random favors. They can't award half a favor, so sometimes they award a random number between 0 and 1. Unfortunately, the 0 result will give a very misleading message that's similar to hitting the cap.

A bit confusing, but a different message:
  • "[Quality] has not increased; this quality cannot currently increase past X" --> hard cap
  • "[Quality] has not changed from X because it's higher than Y --> soft cap (i.e. other actions might pass this cap)
  • "[Quality] remains unchanged, at X" --> Action might or might not give of this quality, and you got unlucky.

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+4 link
phryne
phryne

8/13/2017
Special thanks to Sinnouk and Vavakx Nonexus for very useful info on An Agent of the Cheesemonger and Plotting against the Masters! smile

--
a Scarlet Sainta Monster-Huntera Memorya Raven?
Exceptional Stories poll results: 20162017
List of useful thingsFavours & Renown Guide
+1 link
Wiwo
Wiwo

8/13/2017
Being a Shepherd of Souls gives you several options on a new opportunity card. The most expensive gives you a full menace wipe and 3-5 favours each for Church, Constables, and Society. The next most expensive simply gives 1 favour each for Church, Constables, and Society.

--
Wiwo. Almost certainly not a squid in a cunningly tailored suit. Surely.

Care for some cider? Here's how to ask me for some. Strange pranks strongly preferred.

I'm a Correspondent and would be delighted to lecture at your orphanage.
0 link
AzraelWalker
AzraelWalker

8/15/2017
phryne wrote:
It should also be understood that Renown can never be lost. That's right again: NEVER.

Wellllllllll that's not entirely accurate. There is exactly one way you can lose it (and all of it in one go in point of fact), but you would have to be half mad before you ever saw the option.

--
Always happy to receive social actions (although if you want to send SMEN actions please direct them to my alt http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Richard%20Keister)

Also a Corespondent and happy to tutor any orphans.
+2 link
Dudebro Pyro
Dudebro Pyro

8/15/2017
I don't recall any TC favours anywhere in Tanah-Chook. Certainly not at any point during the EPA carousel - and I don't think there are any favours to gain entering or leaving the Republic, either (this being the extent of possible interaction after the ES is completed).

--
Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar
0 link
lady ciel
lady ciel

8/15/2017
I don't see allowing Dr Schlomo to publish your dreams of dead men which gives the chance of a Tomb Colonist favour

--
ciel

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome though loitering might be inconvenient at times. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

storynexus name - reveurciel
0 link
Pumpkinhead
Pumpkinhead

8/15/2017
At a polite invitation, while choosing your dance, "stick with something stately" has a rare success that gives a docks favor. Not sure how likely it is, but it's there

--
McGunn/Bsymstad Sporadically still around. Might respond if you send something.
Amanda Albright is a *spoiler* now, like she always wanted.
0 link
Màiread
Màiread

8/15/2017
I believe it as about 20% odds to get the docks favour.

--
Màiread - Correspondent, composer, lover of cats. Can probably bake you a d__n fine cake.

Useful Links: Traveller's Friend (Progress Tracker & Notability Calculator) | phryne's Guide to Favours & Renown |

Peggy the Nowoman lived to see the Feast. Thank you for the memories, Snow Lady.

I'm happy to accept most social actions except for lethal sparring and loitering suspiciously. Please challenge my plant! Currently seeking calling cards.
0 link