Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Why are the new favors the worst? Messages in this topic - RSS

Anchovies
Anchovies

5 days ago
Getting a favor from the bohemian card costs £0.50 and gives +1 cp of Scandal.

Getting a favor from the society card costs £0.50 and gives +1 cp of Suspicion.

Getting a favor from the revolutionaries card costs £0.50 and gives +1 cp of Suspicion.

All other faction cards which add menaces (criminals, great game)do not also cost money. And all other faction cards which cost money do not cost nearly so much (usually £0.10 worth of common items; only Urchins comes close, if you buy the weasel).

What gives? And why did "attend a church fete on the south bank of the river" become the new Church favor source, while "buy drinks for writers" and "an invitation to dinner" are now virtually useless?

Also (yes I know this is stretching into intoxicated-rant territory) why does our poor Regretful Soldier not give any favors, while his counterparts now give two each? I could see the fellow having friends among the docks, church, or revolutionaries.

--
Perhaps our role on this planet is not to worship God — but to create Him.
—Sir Arthur C Clarke

Lionel Anchovies. Most social actions welcome. Ready and willing to engage in delicious roleplaying. Please no betrayals, photographer, or lethal sparring.
+8 link
A Dimness
A Dimness

5 days ago
Not that I necessarily agree with it, but Failbetter's stated approach is "Assymetrical gameplay" meaning some avenues are harder than others.
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 8/11/2017

--
A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence
+2 link
Siankan
Siankan

5 days ago
It is also possible (though this is mere speculation) that when Failbetter created the Favours/Renown system to begin with, they decided how each faction would be treated, then organized their batches by grouping similar factions on the conversion timeline.

Also, it is to be noted that Society favours (to use an example) can be painlessly acquired in numerous situations - up to three free favours every time you accept A Polite Invitation. The faction card in that case is neither the best nor the most reliable source of favours, and I can easily see anyone not actively pushing Society renown choosing to skip it in favor of cheaper options.

That said, I'm entirely with you on the Regretful Soldier. Poor old boy's gotten the short stick, wot?
edited by Siankan on 8/11/2017

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+2 link
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu

5 days ago
Methinks they decided the older factions were too profitable, and since they dislike actively nerfing old content, they just scaled back future faction profitability.
0 link
Siankan
Siankan

5 days ago
I don't think that lines up over the whole system, though. Society is overflowing with profitable favour options in a way that rivals the Docks; the faction card just doesn't happen to be among them. Consider how many favours you can get just from A Polite Invitation, and that's building MW and leading toward a profitable conclusion every few rounds. That in itself make Society one of the more profitable factions when it comes to favour-earning.

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

5 days ago
Kaijyuu wrote:
Methinks they decided the older factions were too profitable, and since they dislike actively nerfing old content, they just scaled back future faction profitability.

I'm pretty sure that Revolutionaries now give 720 proscribed material per favour, so I highly doubt they're trying to make them less profitable overall.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman

PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
0 link
dov
dov

5 days ago
Optimatum wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Revolutionaries now give 720 proscribed material per favour, so I highly doubt they're trying to make them less profitable overall.

It's now 3 x Favours: Revolutionaries for the 720 x Proscribed Materials.

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
0 link
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu

5 days ago
The revolutionaries' absurd return is the one thing I expected to be nerfed and instead it got buffed. Oh well.
0 link
Artful
Artful

5 days ago
For those seeking Paramount Presence via a Salon, the Society and Bohemian favors are wonderful.

Echos are not the only form of value for all players.

--
A Legendary Charisma. Open to mentoring Protégés in the art of Persuasion.
A Crooked Cross looking to make waves at your Salon.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Artful
0 link
Tystefy
Tystefy

4 days ago
Unlike other factions, you can't even call in regular favours with Criminals, Urchins, and Revolutionaries!

Makes sense, really. Hard to wrangle them up for getting paid back.

--
I am the eyebrow dog, yes.
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

4 days ago
Oh yeah, that's still a thing. Time to make yet another post in the feedback thread. If Favours are supposed to be something to spend they need to actually provide a constant way to spend them.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman

PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
0 link