Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

1896 Mayoral Candidates Discussion Messages in this topic - RSS

Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

13 days ago
gronostaj wrote:
see anne, this is why i love you. the next election won't be for almost a year, and i'm already primed and ready to fight you (just kidding i swear).

Oh, you are so not kidding :P Which is why I love you too ^_^

gronostaj wrote:
in my view, the difference is between jenny's "let's provide people with help first, worry about reforming them later (or never)" and DTC's "let's reform people first so they deserve the help we provide them".

it's not an unreasonable approach, but me, myself, being an utterly tender and delicate person that i am; I much prefer jenny's approach here. DTC shows to me the worst face of the temperance movement; the judging face, getting too much inspiration from that one "jesus cleansing the temple" scene from the bible.

The DTC's position wasn't that people need to be made deserving. It was more that if people were homeless you had to treat the underlying conditions. A bed in a gin parlor is better than nothing, but it wouldn't do that much to help someone who became homeless because of alcoholism, would it? The symptom is being treated while the disease is being exuberated. Providing houses of healing on the other hand treats the symptom and the disease at the same time (that's the theory anyway). Similarly, cracking down on the exploitative slumlords who are making people poor and homeless is a direct strike at the social sickness, not the symptom.

So the DTC's approach, where homelessness and poverty were concerned, was much more ambitious than Jenny's, especially when you take into account that Jenny directed a lot of the resources to her Bohemian supporters.
gronostaj wrote:
Anne Auclair wrote:
Where does the Soft-Hearted Widow stand in this debate? [...] there would be the question of whether it would be closer to the DTC's approach or Jenny's.

personally I think she'd be a balance between them, which would be the most interesting option; constantly getting pulled either in jenny's or DTC's direction, it's just a situation primed for delicious conflict. The widow's a saint, she is (letting a confirmed decadent duellist honeypot cannibal deathtrap crash on her couch after I lost my lodgings to seeking more than proves that) but neither as forgiving and ready to party with fellow sinners as jenny (indeed, she doesn't seem to see the sinners as "fellow"), nor as stern and uncompromising as DTC.

Oh, the Soft-Hearted Widow takes in Seekers? I did not know that!

The Widow also lacks Jenny's self-aggrandizing nature and the DTC's crusading ways, making her a bridge in personality as well as attitudes/policy.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair

Happy Hallowmas! Please share your Feducci interactions!

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic25298-share-your-feducci-interactions.aspx?MessageID=207908#post207908
0 link
gronostaj
gronostaj

13 days ago
Anne Auclair wrote:
Oh, you are so not kidding :P Which is why I love you too ^_^

of course i'm not kidding i just said that so sir friderick doesn't trim our rivalmance before it has a chance to fully bloom

The DTC's position wasn't that people need to be made deserving. It was more that if people were homeless you had to treat the underlying conditions. A bed in a gin parlor is better than nothing, but it wouldn't do that much to help someone who became homeless because of alcoholism, would it? The symptom is being treated while the disease is being exuberated. Providing houses of healing on the other hand treats the symptom and the disease at the same time (that's the theory anyway).

if only it were that simple. the "houses of healing" have a distinct problem of taking away agency of people commited to them. it's a discourse as old as time; if a homeless person asks you for money, do you give them cash, knowing they're likely to spend it on alcohol but respecting that they're an adult and it's their right to make wrong choices at their leisure, or do you buy them groceries instead of handing out cash, making a healthier choice- but making that choice for them?

And what if some percentage of suffering londoners won't want to recover and return to being productive members of society (bohemians for example); would the DTC force them into healing homes? would she ignore them and focus on those who are prepared to adhere to her standards of recovery as well as moral standards?

The situation with the once-outgoing tomb-colonist shows clearly that she does make moral judgements, and harsh ones at that. She's uncompromising. and it's often the people who she would deem irredeemable that need help the most. Help that jenny provides without judging or placing expectactions upon people she's helping.

Oh, the Soft-Hearted Widow takes in Seekers? I did not know that!

it's so sweet of her, isn't it? i lost all my homes; my premises at the bazaar obviously went, the bouncers at brass embassy didn't recognize me, the key to my dear old townhouse no longer fit the lock, and most tragically, i couldn't find the way in the dark to my cosy little cellar in new newgate, where i could've holed up unbothered by the visits of london's most persistent villain, the struggling artist.

so i eyelash-fluttered my way into the soft-hearted widow's spare bedroom, and she even apparently cooks as well, even if seekers would consider her meats overdone. if only she wasn't so much into hymn-singing at truly inhumane hours of the morning....-

The Widow also lacks Jenny's self-aggrandizing nature and the DTC's crusading ways, making her a bridge in personality as well as attitudes/policy.

i genuinely want to see these three interacting. if not in mayoral-related setting (although the three characters would be perfect for that), then at least in some off-handed side-storyline or even a mention somewhere. The drama potential is through the roof.

--
Gronostaj (pl. Ermine), an irresistible and lethal individual of mysterious and indistinct gender. Seeker. Willing to die- but not of boredom. Open to all social actions, including mutual murder.
+2 link