Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

1896 Mayoral Candidates Discussion Messages in this topic - RSS

Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

8/10/2017
The Society conversion to the renown/favor system has added a bit more information about Slowcake's Exceptionals, among them this little declaration of absolute might:

Build a reputation wrote:
There are differences in wealth, ability, title, and all the rest: but the only arbiter that matters is Slowcake's.

The only arbiter that matters...

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair

Please consider donating to CoseBelle'sSelling Sunlight.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cosebelle/selling-sunlight-a-wandering-merchant-rpg?
+1 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

8/12/2017
Anne Auclair wrote:
The Society conversion to the renown/favor system has added a bit more information about Slowcake's Exceptionals, among them this little declaration of absolute might:

Build a reputation wrote:
There are differences in wealth, ability, title, and all the rest: but the only arbiter that matters is Slowcake's.

The only arbiter that matters...

I love the idea of Mr Slowcake as mayor! Having an illusive candidate would be the perfect metaphor for the office of Lord Mayor of London: an illusion of democracy, beneath the thumbs (talons?) of the ruthless Masters of the Bazaar, concerned solely with the perceived Notability of wealthy, powerful, and famous citizens. Like some sort of useless minor deity, voters would be free to attribute good things to Mr Slowcake and curse his name when bad things happen, without actually having to deal with a fallible individual. Said mayor would, of course, always be terribly terribly busy with important city matters and so would be unavailable for in-person meetings or comments, even at his own victory ball.

This would be even more hilarious if anonymous citizens "draft" Slowcake into running without the knowledge or consent of the Brass Embassy, and then rabidly campaign on "his" behalf. It's not as if the Devils could speak out against it without blowing open the whole scam. I imagine that the increasingly unhinged Amanuensis would either try to capitalize on his invisible master's new status, or would collapse in a nervous wreck (I'd love to see a new storylet on the Amanuensis card, like 'Ask him about the Mayor', and having him panic in response).

Either way, perhaps Slowcake's Mayoral Influence card would involve a lot of Making Waves, and/or have Notability-based challenge (like on the 'An Unsigned Message' card).

--
James Sinclair, a man of many interests and a singular goal.

Paramount Presence Progress: London's Blood, London's Sinew, London's Nerves

A fully-fledged rêveur of The Night Circus.

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+2 link
Frederick Metzengerstein
Frederick Metzengerstein

8/20/2017
I would like to add my voice to those proposing Mr Slowcake as a candidate.

It would be one way to involve Hell in the Mayoral race while acknowledging the objection that no Brass Embassy devil would ever be permitted to hold the office or openly run London.

It would also involve that part of society which is less commonly in the public eye. The decadents, the spies, those who aren’t what they appear, those with ulterior motives.

It would be fascinating to see the campaign being managed by spokespeople and surrogates, maybe the Quiet Deviless, maybe Mr Slowcake’s Amanuensis (“MR __ ___, Assistant to Mr Slowcake”), maybe the ever glamorous Captivating Princess, but as you dig deeper you see the hand of a cabal of devils and a network of surface spies.
edited by Frederick Metzengerstein on 8/20/2017
+3 link
Sara Hysaro
Sara Hysaro

8/20/2017
It would be pretty interesting to explore the Bazaar-Brass Embassy deal in more detail; I'm always keen on more Bazaar and Master content.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sara%20Hysaro
Please do not send SMEN, cat boxes, or Affluent Reporter requests. All other social actions are welcome.

Are you a Scarlet Saint? Send a message my way to be added to the list.
+3 link
Skwawk
Skwawk

8/21/2017
I definitely agree with Mr Slowcake and the Numismatrix. I also think the Gracious Widow would be excellent. Manager of the royal beth, even though he might not want to run. Maybe even the topsy king. Ambitious Barrister is fair, but I feel like there are more interesting options. I'd rather the Last Constable, if she ever comes back to London.Part of me wants to say the Duchess, but I don't think that would be politically legal. And what about the merry gentleman? Is that possible? Anyways, here are my three lineups in order of likelihood.
The realistic (but still interesting) lineup:
-Mr Slowcake
-Numismatrix
- Last Constable
This is my favorite of the three. Each has reason to be running. Slowcake could either be nominated purposefully or not, especially if it was just kind of assumed but neve stated he was running, and it couldn't be refuted. The Numismatrix has power and position, but she would always be interested in boosting the economy. And the Last Constable is out to fix London. Each is likely to be voted for in canon(Slowcake would get society, last constable would get the working class, numismatrix gets everyone). And they all have a platform- Slowcake in providing opportunities for the wealthy and important, Numismatrix in economic development and factional peace, and the Last Constable in ending crime. But lastly, I'd love to see more lore for all of these candidates. The whole Slowcake conspiracy, the unexplored backstory of how the Numismatrix got where she is, the long awaited return of the Last Constable.

intriguing lineup (and mildy unrealistic):
-Gracious widow
-Topsy King
-Manager of the royal beth
In canon, this would probably never happen. A smuggler, a revolutionary, and the lunatic collector. Not to mention none of them are interested in running. But perhaps that makes it more interesting. And of course, delicious lore.

I also would love to see a rubbery man run, but it would probably never happen in the real FL. Maybe against wsomeone pretending to be a rubbery man for balance?
I also think that the only faction that can compete with rubbery men in unrealistic popularity would be the urchins. So here is my joke lineup:
-Tentacled entrepeneur
-Manager/topsy king/etc pretending to be a rubbery man
-A random urchin (who just showed up, and literally there entire platform is 'wot you lookin at')
edited by Skwawk on 8/21/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/skwawk
Correspondent
+4 link
Teaspoon
Teaspoon

8/21/2017
Skwawk wrote:
-A random urchin (who just showed up, and literally there entire platfor is 'wot you lookin at')

I would campaign for this so hard.

--
Truth lies at the bottom of a well.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/Alt%20Ern
+6 link
phryne
phryne

8/21/2017
Since next year's Election will probably happen shortly after the release of Sunless Skies, why not pick three of that game's characters as candidates? They'll be quite new to almost everyone and therefore campaign on a relatively level field.
edited by phryne on 8/21/2017

--
a Scarlet Sainta Monster-Huntera Memorya Raven?
Exceptional Stories poll results: 20162017
List of useful thingsFavours & Renown Guide
+1 link
Robin Alexander
Robin Alexander

8/21/2017
phryne wrote:
Since next year's Election will happen shortly after the planned release of Sunless Skies, why not pick three of that game's characters as candidates? They'll be quite new to almost everyone and therefore campaign on a relatively level field.

I actually love that idea.

It'd also be a good way to promote the game and link the larger universe. That being said, isn't "Sunless Skies" set both in a specific timeline and in the future compared to "Fallen London"? I'm wondering now whether that would work having specific characters from that game in this one?
edited by Robin Alexander on 8/21/2017

--
Robin Alexander - Main
Benjamin Parker - Gone North
Lucius Parker - Son of Benjamin Parker (Alt)

Open to all social actions.
+1 link
phryne
phryne

8/21/2017
Robin Alexander wrote:
That being said, isn't "Sunless Skies" set both in a specific timeline and in the future compared to "Fallen London"? I'm wondering now whether that would work having specific characters from that game in this one?
Not every character would work, of course. But all your officers that are originally from London, for example, would work just fine with Sunless Skies as a possible future - maybe the losing candidates took to the skies in disappointment over not becoming Mayor wink

--
a Scarlet Sainta Monster-Huntera Memorya Raven?
Exceptional Stories poll results: 20162017
List of useful thingsFavours & Renown Guide
+1 link
Blaine Davidson
Blaine Davidson

8/21/2017
Looking forward to next, next year's election I'd love to see a return of familiar faces. I want the "losers" of the previous 3 elections to try again.

The Bishop renewed, the Campaigner reinvigorated, whoever next year's unfortunate is, all having another go at the election.

--
Blaine Davidson, a reserved and sensible woman with a fondness of collecting rarities.
+4 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

8/22/2017
Skwawk wrote:
the long awaited return of the Last Constable.

Spoiler for the Last Constable:
[spoiler]If you favoured The Last Constable in her storyline (over the Cheery Man), she can actually return to London and be acquired as a companion during The Feast of the Exceptional Rose, as "A Stiff-Backed Young Lady". This does not resolve her conflict with The Cheery Man, who if you favoured him, can also be gained as a companion. But since you can't favour them both, you can't get both at the Feast.[/spoiler]

--
James Sinclair, a man of many interests and a singular goal.

Paramount Presence Progress: London's Blood, London's Sinew, London's Nerves

A fully-fledged rêveur of The Night Circus.

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+1 link
Vincur
Vincur

8/25/2017
I nominate Mrs.Plenty.
So we can beat Khaganians on trade deals and show that we are not in fact fazed by #NeathExit

--
Don't go alone out there.
+3 link
Reused NPC
Reused NPC

8/28/2017
Laugh if you will, but I want to see Dauntless running for mayor next year as well. I'd never heard of her before this year's election, and in the time since, she's sorta gained a lot of my respect. Since she's literally been campaigning against Feducci nonstop since the election.

--
ReusedNPC, a d__ned lunatic. Send him a cat.

Edmund Viric, a rather dreamy sort.

Available for Enigma enquiries.
+1 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

8/31/2017
Blaine Davidson wrote:
Looking forward to next, next year's election I'd love to see a return of familiar faces. I want the "losers" of the previous 3 elections to try again.

The Bishop renewed, the Campaigner reinvigorated, whoever next year's unfortunate is, all having another go at the election.

I think a pretty solid case could be made for giving the Jovial Contrarian another go.

1. The Contrarian came in second in 1894 with 35% of the vote. He beat out of the Bishop, a much bigger name, and managed 35% against unstoppable Juggernaut Jenny. When all was said and done, that was a very respectable showing. The Contrarian would be a strong contender in a second contest.

2. I think we can all agree that the Contrarian was dealt the worst hand of the 1894 election when February showed up and the Contrarian started being, well, very contrarian about his own campaign. There were a lot of good reasons for this story wise, but it was still a pretty significant handicap for someone who was the least well known of the three candidates. Between Jenny and February, the Contrarian definitely deserves a second chance.

3. The Contrarian's campaign had a very interesting story that seemed set up to continue:

The Contrarian wrote:
"Take heart, friend. The light has not yet gone out. This is not the end."

But which hasn't been continued. Jenny's mayoral term was largely about Jenny, with Sister Lydia, the Masters, and Huffam's Gazette all playing supporting roles. So the Contrarian played no role in Jenny's mayoral story-line and, aside from an off screen appearance in The Calendar Code and a cameo at the Mayoral Ball, hasn't received any new content. It seems that a second campaign is the only way we'll ever find out more about him and his goals.

4. The Contrarian (like the Campaigner) is just so well suited for an election campaign. He's just a naturally political character.

There'd even be a nice symmetry to the Contrarian entering the 1896 election. Right before the 1894 election he was denouncing the whole thing as an undemocratic fraud. Then he became a candidate and the election became a great democratic experiment. But in 1895 the Contrarian did another about face, labeling the election a sham and encouraging people not to vote. So in 1896 the Contrarian is well positioned to make a fourth change of position and once again throw himself into the great democratic debate. Two elections, four flip flops...it seem's right.

--

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cosebelle/selling-sunlight-a-wandering-merchant-rpg?
+2 link
Ixc
Ixc

9/1/2017
I would suggest:

The Muffled Intriguer: They're this mysterious person, who can do almost anything- rob the Museum of Mistakes, very barely scrape the surface of the secrets of the Vake (and a Master). It's clear they hold a lot of sway in Society and the Great Game. Also, they can have a tryst with you. But the number one reason is, if you can't see someone's face, you can't call them ugly. It also makes them very hard to assassinate.

Laconic Prodigy: Kills venge rats! Stronger than the Stuttering Company! Her only weakness is that she's not Persuasive. That's where you come in. But let's be honest, that's because she's giving the other candidates a chance. Is she not merciful?

The Tentacled Entrepreneur: He has business sense. He's wealthy. Would-be troublemakers and assassins would flee at the thought of being violently strangled by his tentacles. And he can never lie, because he can only mime!

Or:
The Rubbery Racer: A shroom hopper would certainly be able to run London, (in both ways) to see crime and injustice. He would go to the Flit, running over ruffians and villains with his Velicopede. And he would help the Velicopede Squad, because he understands how bad riding without rubber rims is. And imagine, it sneaking to your doorstep so you can teach the Mayor how to ride a Velicopede.

So why have shrubbery when you can Rubberies?

--
Pleased to meet you. Ixc , spy and detective. Inventor of the Correspondence Cannon. Are you a Paramount Presence? Record your name here. For posterity, of course.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
+4 link
Aardvark
Aardvark

9/8/2017
I would wholeheartedly support His Amused Lordship. For me he is poised at the perfect crossroads of gentry, scholarship, leisurely sense of unquestionable entitlement and generous patronship. A pure epitome of a modern Victorian nobleman, and a disturbingly sharp-minded, capable observer and planner beneath his boisterous persona, which he sometimes lets you see.

Other than him, in no particular order I'd be delighted to see:
- Mr. Murgatroyd, as an experienced and successful entrepreneur who might easily be motivated to try his hand at politics;
- the Gracious Widow, as an immortal, consummate and experienced plotter with agendas potentially spanning centuries; possibly even with the player character from the Silver Tree as an aide?
- the Duchess, for pretty much the same reasons as the Widow, plus who wouldn't be a sucker for beautiful oriental princesses in exile?
- Your Aunt. Can you imagine any way she could inconvenience you in a grander fashion than if she became the Mayor and proceeded by dragging you into a year's worth of political scandal, outrage and embarassment?

--
Sir Reginald Monteroy, Correspondent
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sir Reginald Monteroy

Will gladly come teach at your Orphanage, if you PM me in game.
+1 link
Robin Alexander
Robin Alexander

9/8/2017
I don't know if it's already been suggested, but:

What about the Widow, Duchess, and a University candidate? I'm thinking that those are probably the only Connections left with a strict conversion to renown; Masters being tricky, Glass/Shroud being more a story marker. It'd be kind of a fun tie-in to have the conversion happen just before or after the election; maybe some connection gained if we support certain candidates, if the conversion appears after, or renown gain if it occurs before. It'd be a good way to promote those characters, maybe encouraging players to boost their Connected/Renown for them and playing their relevant cards a bit more.

--
Robin Alexander - Main
Benjamin Parker - Gone North
Lucius Parker - Son of Benjamin Parker (Alt)

Open to all social actions.
0 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

9/8/2017
Aardvark wrote:
- the Duchess, for pretty much the same reasons as the Widow, plus who wouldn't be a sucker for beautiful oriental princesses in exile?

I believe the "Oriental" bit was meant for the candidate you listed before the Duchess. Egypt isn't quite the Orient.

--
Isaac Zienfried, 'The Vacillating Belligerent.'
A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
But really, it's hard to keep things simple down here!
0 link
Lallinka
Lallinka

9/8/2017
Aardvark
- Your Aunt. Can you imagine any way she could inconvenience you in a grander fashion than if she became the Mayor and proceeded by dragging you into a year's worth of political scandal, outrage and embarassment?[/quote
wrote:

I would wholeheartedly support my Aunt. Isn't that the right thing to do? You support your family. And if it makes her too busy to keep writing letters and inconvenience you, then that's just a nice plus smile

--
Lallinka is accepting any social interactions as soon as my actions allow it. No Loitering and no Photographer, please. Available for interviews about Nemesis and a Midnighter for Orphanages.

Ragish is accepting everything, including Loitering and Photographer. Available for interviews about Heart's Desire and a Crooked-cross for Salons.
0 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

9/9/2017
Isaac Zienfried wrote:
Aardvark wrote:

I believe the "Oriental" bit was meant for the candidate you listed before the Duchess. Egypt isn't quite the Orient.

Edward Said would disagree, at least as far as the Western imagination is concerned.

I could see the Duchess. But doesn't the Gracious Widow have a thing for shadows, darkness, and keeping her present decrepit state somewhat secret?

--

0 link