Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Mysteries Discussion Messages in this topic - RSS

Indigo Clardmond
Indigo Clardmond

7/18/2017
After obsessing over this all of yesterday and most of today, I think I'm pretty content with my answers for every question. My theory on the identity of May in particular, I'm quite proud of, and will love Failbetter forever if I end up being right because of it.

The only one I'm uncertain about is who opened the mirrors. I've heard a few different answers and theories, as well as some of my own, but nothing conclusive or that just 'clicks' like almost everything else.

--
Indigo Clardmond - A kind-hearted Notary that is also a member of the C.V.R. And good friend to the Rubberies. And close to Hell. A gentleman of many talents. He is most definitely not secretly an imp of an existential nature. That would just be silly.

Vazio Solus - A broken, bitter Correspondent with a sick relationship to the Truth. Defiant to all, even in the end, as the Gate was opened.

The Luminous Orphan - A dazzling young Doctor of legendary charisma, weaving powerful Celestial imagery while she studies the form...'a star' would certainly be an appropriate way to describe her.
0 link
JimmyTMalice
JimmyTMalice

7/18/2017
Anchovies wrote:
1. What about Penstock's Wicket?

[spoiler]The seven doors are already accounted for: Ormolu, Copper, Glass, Ivory, Teeth, Paper, Steel. The first four are from the Unsigned Message card, and the Paper Door was blown up last Hallowmas. The other two are found in various places.[/spoiler]

Indigo Clardmond wrote:
The only one I'm uncertain about is who opened the mirrors. I've heard a few different answers and theories, as well as some of my own, but nothing conclusive or that just 'clicks' like almost everything else.

This one is found in the Family Ties Season item trade-in story: either Mount Nomad or the Mountain of Light. It's a little ambiguous.
edited by JimmyTMalice on 7/18/2017

--
Gideon Stormstrider, the Episcopalian Esotericist
Jimmy T. Malice, gone.

A Tale of Two Suns - Meeting Your Maker - A Squid in the Polls
+5 link
folklore364
folklore364

7/18/2017
The Fingerkings most stories or interactions with them, they seem to be trying to escape Parabola(dreams) or better yet build a way for all of them to come into this reality. They are part of the cats reason cats don't like snakes.

On another note, I'm stumped on the doors of the bazaar. Any assistance would be appreciated.

--
A correspondent who hungers for knowledge. May have doomed london to war with Hell.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/folklore364
+3 link
Indigo Clardmond
Indigo Clardmond

7/18/2017
JimmyTMalice wrote:
Indigo Clardmond wrote:

This one is found in the Family Ties Season item trade-in story: either Mount Nomad or the Mountain of Light. It's a little ambiguous.
edited by JimmyTMalice on 7/18/2017

Oh, thanks! I'm sure I would've stumbled on it eventually when I got to that point in my journal, but yeah, makes a whole lot more sense now.

--
Indigo Clardmond - A kind-hearted Notary that is also a member of the C.V.R. And good friend to the Rubberies. And close to Hell. A gentleman of many talents. He is most definitely not secretly an imp of an existential nature. That would just be silly.

Vazio Solus - A broken, bitter Correspondent with a sick relationship to the Truth. Defiant to all, even in the end, as the Gate was opened.

The Luminous Orphan - A dazzling young Doctor of legendary charisma, weaving powerful Celestial imagery while she studies the form...'a star' would certainly be an appropriate way to describe her.
+1 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/18/2017
Indigo Clardmond wrote:
My theory on the identity of May in particular, I'm quite proud of, and will love Failbetter forever if I end up being right because of it.

I wonder if it's the same as mine... hmm. Probably not. I went with something of an obvious guess.

[spoiler]The Jovial Contrarian[/spoiler]

EDIT: Oh boy, Post #333! Fans of semi-obscure urban horror and dark fantasy might know why that's significant.
edited by Isaac Zienfried on 7/18/2017

--
Isaac Zienfried, 'The Vacillating Belligerent.'
A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
But really, it's hard to keep things simple down here!
0 link
Sir Joseph Marlen
Sir Joseph Marlen

7/18/2017
folklore364 wrote:
The Fingerkings most stories or interactions with them, they seem to be trying to escape Parabola(dreams) or better yet build a way for all of them to come into this reality. They are part of the cats reason cats don't like snakes.

See, the problem with the Fingerkings is that their are two things they've said they want. Both are actually mentioned in the storyline James Sinclair alluded to.
JimmyTMalice wrote:

Only one spoiler box is available per post, so I'll finish both of these below.
[spoiler]The text is pretty vague. I had thought that the Mountain opened them since the Fingerkings covet her and her light, but it does sort of seem that the text with the Boatman during the Family Ties trade-in is talking about the Mountain's daughter opening the mirrors, so Mt Nomad would seem to fit. Speaking of the Fingerkings, they seem to want the Mountain's light and to exist, both of which are referenced in places such as the Deranged Medium investigation. I'd go with the former, but that's just my opinion. [/spoiler]
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 7/18/2017

--
Sir Joseph Marlen - The Romantic Sophist
Alexus Harven - The Defiant Fatalist
Rose Reinhelm - The Respectful Revolutionary
Cappuccino - The Perfidious Spycraft

Available for any and all social actions.
+2 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

7/18/2017
Isaac Zienfried wrote:
Indigo Clardmond wrote:
My theory on the identity of May in particular, I'm quite proud of, and will love Failbetter forever if I end up being right because of it.

I wonder if it's the same as mine... hmm. Probably not. I went with something of an obvious guess.

[spoiler]The Jovial Contrarian[/spoiler]

Doubt it. He could fit for August, given the debate-focused book in the Agendums of Ascent. May's book is love stories though so doesn't seem like there's a connection there.

(may is the bazaar confirmed)

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+9 link
Indigo Clardmond
Indigo Clardmond

7/18/2017
My theory for May is somewhat sound in terms of lore and character and connections, but the chief thing that's convinced me is the fact it would make a very, very horrible-yet-brilliant pun if it were the case, hehehe...

--

0 link
Akernis
Akernis

7/18/2017
Cthonius wrote:

For most of these I'm going with the simple answers for now (Admiralty with the Dawn Machine)

That seems very unlikely given the phrasing of the question - "Who was the original architect of the Dawn Machine."
'Who', 'was', and 'architect' all signifies a singular individual rather than an organisation. To my knowledge we also have no indications the admiralty ever built it, only that they are targeted by its influence.
edited by Akernis on 7/18/2017

--
Vena's profile - http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Akernis
+2 link
lady ciel
lady ciel

7/18/2017
[spoiler] Elderwick = Aldwych = Wych Street in Victorian times [/spoiler]

--
ciel

Sorry RL means I am not a very active player at the moment. No social actions unless you are prepared to wait and definitely no sparring or other mult-action things.

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

storynexus name - reveurciel
+3 link
Màiread
Màiread

7/18/2017
Goodness me, what a tantalising quest. As someone who has a) not been playing much for the last year and b) is mostly bedbound for the forseeable, this seems like an excellent opportunity to go rooting around for content I've either forgotten or missed first time around. I'd love to find the sources for these answers myself as much as I can (some like the hero and the doors I think I know, though I'm unsure how!) so any tips on where to begin hunting, pm'd or otherwise, would be appreciated (especially if it involves Fate, as my resources are limited). This looks fun!

--
Màiread - Correspondent, composer, lover of cats. Can probably bake you a d__n fine cake.

Useful Links: Traveller's Friend (Progress Tracker & Notability Calculator) | phryne's Guide to Favours & Renown |

Peggy the Nowoman lived to see the Feast. Thank you for the memories, Snow Lady.

I'm happy to accept most social actions except for lethal sparring and loitering suspiciously. Please challenge my plant! Currently not accepting calling cards.
+2 link
lady ciel
lady ciel

7/18/2017
[spoiler] Lusitania Row might be Portugal Street except it is not in the right place. But it is part of Piccadilly which fits with the other mentions of Lusitania Row - Beatrice's Tea Rooms "The queen of tea-shops! A glittering location with a proud address in Lusitania Row." [/spoiler]

--
ciel

Sorry RL means I am not a very active player at the moment. No social actions unless you are prepared to wait and definitely no sparring or other mult-action things.

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

0 link
Pumpkinhead
Pumpkinhead

7/18/2017
You know, living on a different continent than actual london means I don't have the foggiest idea for any of the geography questions. For me, Blythenhale is no more imaginary than, say, Islington. In fact I probably know marginally more about Blythenhale than I do Islington.

--
McGunn/Bsymstad is on the slow boat, waiting to see if he can find out what death is. (I'm done with London for now. Thanks for everything!)
Amanda Albright is a *spoiler* now, like she always wanted.
+12 link
Tystefy
Tystefy

7/18/2017
... Um. I can't remember what mystery I wanted to ask about.

*illuminati jingle plays*

--
Will sometimes return to post absurdity.
0 link
Cthonius
Cthonius

7/18/2017
Pumpkinhead wrote:
You know, living on a different continent than actual london means I don't have the foggiest idea for any of the geography questions. For me, Blythenhale is no more imaginary than, say, Islington. In fact I probably know marginally more about Blythenhale than I do Islington.

That's been my problem. I'm just going with whatever anyone here says come the locations.

I wonder if May is like...Lilac? We've only one clue to go on for now though

--
Cthonius, gone North. Gone.

Oneiropompus, a Scarlet Saint, eager to help make your dreams realities. Accepting all social requests for now.
+4 link
dov
dov

7/18/2017
Optimatum wrote:
Doubt it. He could fit for August, given the debate-focused book in the Agendums of Ascent. May's book is love stories though so doesn't seem like there's a connection there.

(may is the bazaar confirmed)

I agree that the Contrarian is August.

Now, it's possible that the clues as to May's identity have not been revealed yet.

But if we have to go only based on available clues, we basically only know that May's book is about Love Stories.
Who is associated with Love Stories? Well, taking the Bazaar itself out of the equation, then who was the one who *told* us that "in the matters of the Bazaar, always look to love"?

[spoiler]She and her cats certainly know about scheming and playing the long game...[/spoiler]

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+6 link
lady ciel
lady ciel

7/18/2017
I wonder if any of the Failbetter Team is a Terry Pratchett fan. In the Night Watch 25th of May is Lilac Day in honour of the Glorious Revolution.

--
ciel

+14 link
Dima Lazarev
Dima Lazarev

7/18/2017
Could May be the Curt Relicker?

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Dima Lazarev
0 link
A Dimness
A Dimness

7/18/2017
Dima Lazarev wrote:
Could May be the Curt Relicker?

It's a possibility, but not one backed by too much content.
He does seem to be both experienced with avoiding the law (Suspicion reduction gamble) and in the Intriguer's Compendium buy option, arrives smoke-blackened from a distant explosion, which might very well be an anarchist strike.

--
A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence
0 link
lady ciel
lady ciel

7/18/2017
I still like the idea that May could be Lilac. She is very involved in the Feast of the Rose - so involved with love
[spoiler] I think that speaking to her at the Panopticon also involves talking about love [/spoiler]

--
ciel

0 link
1234 ..23