Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Off topic: The Surface

Discuss topics unrelated to our games here - as ever, be courteous and have fun!

Alexis Kennedy's Cultist Simulator Messages in this topic - RSS

illuminati swag (Benthic)

3/13/2018
How would one get the Rite Intercalate? I have one rite for each lore type other than Forge, so I should think I would have all the rites, but I don't have the Intercalate. Anyone know how to get that?
0 link
Alice Lutwidge
Alice Lutwidge

3/13/2018
There are 10 rites total so far, but only 8 of them can be created with Forge. The last two are:

[spoiler]Rite of the Beast's Division (Winter+Grail) and Rite Intercalate (Winter+Secret Histories)[/spoiler]

Edward Warren wrote:
Somehow, I totally confused my roman numerals and thought that the X was five and not V. I was right the first time, Lionsmith is Death. That makes more sense to me now. Man, how embarrassing...

If it helps you technically weren't wrong haha, I think I see how you got confused. The first Lionsmith draft Sarah posted did have the number VIII, but in the final version Alexis posted his number was changed to XIII.
edited by Alice Lutwidge on 3/13/2018

--
Professor Alice Lutwidge
Poet-Laureate, Correspondent, Legendary Charisma
+2 link

3/13/2018
Alice Lutwidge wrote:
There are 10 rites total so far, but only 8 of them can be created with Forge. The last two are:

[snipped for spoiler]

[spoiler]Oh, that makes sense. I expected the Rite Intercalate would require Forge given that the Forge of Days was responsible for the Division, but I guess I was wrong.[/spoiler]
0 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

3/13/2018
illuminati swag (Benthic) wrote:
Anne Auclair wrote:
edit: holy shit a Caligine broke free so I fed it the Detective and I got something even stranger out of it, this is a great development

I have yet to have a Caligine summoning where the smokey daemon didn't try and break free of my control :P Like, the Dead, the Hinter, and the Raw Prophets sometimes try and break free, but Caligines always try and break free. They're bad eggs, those Caligines.

They always try, but this one managed it even with Passion. And then gave me a Hinter when I fed it the Detective. What I like about Hinters is you only need to add Knock to summon new ones, so you can get new ones without any sacrifices other than time.
edited by illuminati swag (Benthic) on 3/12/2018

That's the summoning system being either bugged or unfinished. Right now you add Passion and you have a chance of succeeding or failing. What's supposed to happen is each Passion has a chance of quelling the daemon and if it fails you have to contribute more Passion to try again. And at the end of the Summoning, all the contributed Passion becomes Fascination (right now the Fascination icon appears when you add in Passion, but nothing happens). And of course any breach currently results in a Hinter, regardless of whatever it was you summoned.

There are currently two types of dangerous Summons - devourers and deceivers. Devourers have Edge and will kill mortals and Wound you. Deceivers have Moth and will drive mortals insane (presumably turning them into Poor Lunatics) and probably do something to your Reason (turn it into Fascination maybe?).

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair

Liberate London from the Anodyne Menace! Vote the Princess!
+1 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

3/13/2018
Edward Warren wrote:
Here the Lionsmith is dominant over the lion because he just finished beating the thing senseless with a massive hammer.

Rather fitting for an Hour whose Names are known for their "savage" strength, in contrast to the "cunning" of the Colonel's Names.

Edward Warren wrote:
First, his physical "death" in the Tombs of the Shadowless Kings, where his body became dust presumably so he could ascend to godhood.

Presumably that's a location we can visit. Huh, I wonder if we'll be able to collect some of that dust...

Edward Warren wrote:
Then, the Rite of the Rebel Striving, where he sacrificed his most prized possession -his sword- in order to get the power to fight the Colonel.

The Rite's description and the Exalted Oath of the Bright Edge indicate it was a little more complex than that. The Lionsmith - presumably before he was the Lionsmith - broke his sword when he submitted to the Colonel's superior strength. But the destruction of the Lionsmith's precious sword, overtly an act of surrender, was really a sacrifice to the Forge of Days aimed at bringing about the Lionsmith's eventual victory. What appears a defeat was really a deliberate ploy to one day become stronger and overcome the Colonel.

So the Lionsmith isn't just savage and brutal - he's also cunning and duplicitous. Another thing to consider, the fact he's now back to openly warring against the Colonel suggests that while he still cannot defeat the Colonel, the Colonel no longer has the strength to subdue him.

btw, his relationship with the Forge probably predated his elevation and war against the Colonel. When you're seeking Power, the Forge is the Hour you end up petitioning. I suspect it's not an accident that the Lionsmith's original body became dust - as if it were burned up. Also, the background is a burning desert ruin. When you summon King Crucible, the Name-emanation of the Forge of Days, it declares: "In the desert I wait, in the ruins I burn."

--

+1 link
Edward Warren
Edward Warren

3/14/2018
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Vagabond yet. In Rite of the Map's Edge (which I got with Forge and Secret Histories), we're introduced to the Hour that has the dubious distinction of not residing inside the Mansus. In order to please her, the player must offer the "rightness" of the moment, so that the Vagabond might claim it for her own.

In the prayer of the Knock, we get reference to "she who was stone, I offer this moment".

On the Mansus map we've got a Mount Doom place in the background with a either a cloud of smoke or a skull faced rock staring at the House of the Sun. Coincidence?

Also, take a look at these early sketches of the Velvet taken from Sarah Gordon's twitter.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Unlike the finished Tarot where it's obscured with moss, we can clearly see the Branches are coming straight out of the Black-Flax's back. That, combined with the way the feet are clearly taking root and even more screaming faces on the "trees", I'd consider it safe to assume the trees of the Wood are indeed made of people. Now, is the Velvet suffering this fate by choice, or as a punishment?

--
WHAT IS BELOW CANNOT ESCAPE WHAT IS ABOVE
0 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

3/14/2018
The number of books in the game is about to more than triple.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
And that's still 30-some shy of the final number.

--

+3 link
Lord Alexander Alderman
Lord Alexander Alderman

3/14/2018
Sorry for possibly interrupting the flow of theory-craft (I hope for the day we can get an actual CS site) But I would like to start looking into the deeper parts of the lore but don't know what would be the best way to start (Waiting for the full release date) So just a few tips would be nice. And one question, when and where did Winter first appear and what is it? It seems to be similar to a Principle such as Grail but I'm not sure, was it revealed suddenly in an update? Is it odd to even try to get into the lore without playing the early access?
+1 link

3/15/2018
Lord Alexander Alderman wrote:
Sorry for possibly interrupting the flow of theory-craft (I hope for the day we can get an actual CS site) But I would like to start looking into the deeper parts of the lore but don't know what would be the best way to start (Waiting for the full release date) So just a few tips would be nice. And one question, when and where did Winter first appear and what is it? It seems to be similar to a Principle such as Grail but I'm not sure, was it revealed suddenly in an update? Is it odd to even try to get into the lore without playing the early access?

It just materialized in one of the updates and then was revealed to be associated with the Sun-in-Rags, who we already knew about. If you want lore information, I'd suggest reading through this thread and old Weather Factory posts - the ones on the Tarot cards for the Hours are very interesting. The Early Access has a lot of lore information but until it comes out I think your best bet to learn about it, if you don't have it, is to look at what's posted here; there's plenty of information from before this build.

Unrelatedly, here's a Weather Factory post on the development of Iris.
edited by illuminati swag (Benthic) on 3/15/2018
+1 link
Edward Warren
Edward Warren

3/15/2018
Sarah Gordon is sketching a "horrible fleshy blob thing".

The Crowned Growth? Is our first Secret Hour Tarot incoming?

How would that even work?
edited by Edward Warren on 3/15/2018

--
WHAT IS BELOW CANNOT ESCAPE WHAT IS ABOVE
0 link
Vexpont
Vexpont

3/15/2018
Anne Auclair wrote:
edit: holy shit a Caligine broke free so I fed it the Detective and I got something even stranger out of it, this is a great development

I have yet to have a Caligine summoning where the smokey daemon didn't try and break free of my control :P Like, the Dead, the Hinter, and the Raw Prophets sometimes try and break free, but Caligines always try and break free. They're bad eggs, those Caligines.

It appears that you have found a genuine bug, which is more than I've done recently.

Everything inclined to struggle against your Summons has a 30% of doing so...apart from Caligines, which have a somewhat-uncooperative 220% chance. Ha. If the Struggling didn’t immediately go into a different Action cycle you could never summon a bastard Caligine at all.

--
Dangerous to my enemies; loyal to my friends. Not too handy at telling the difference.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Vexpont
+3 link
Vexpont
Vexpont

3/15/2018
Anne Auclair wrote:
The Adept's Build is beatable. So has anyone gotten a victory without cheats?
I have also been wondering about this and present my adventures in trying to play CS pseudo-honestly – but I value my time, we are warned that things are unbalanced at present, and I don’t want to accidentally pilot a promising game into what turns out to be an unwinnable state.

I guess there’s 2.5 ways of cheating: a) devpanel fiddling b) checking out hunches in Resources, c) copying saves which is surely only mildly dastardly at this stage, so I am only totally forbidding myself a) (or I did until Study nixed my Essays and Glimmering four times in a row, after which I gave myself leave to generate Glimmerings until I succeeded; so much for high-minded honesty). In terms of looking behind the curtain, I checked to see if we can officially learn Fucine yet – not unless you’re very fortunate, I think. And I do check to see if I’ve just been so stupidly unlucky it’s a bug; usually the answer is ‘just unlucky, stupid’.

Everything is in spoilers mostly because this is long. None is likely to be a revelation.

[spoiler]Finding 1: Do not be a Bright Young Thing, unless IRL mental torment is your jam.

Anyone using BYT as their Legacy and playing without artificially generating any cards at all has my admiration; my attempts usually go 1) snag a victim for Poppy, 2) burn through her blood-money trying to gain Erudition in a clip joint whilst painting badly, 3) die. It also seems to me that missing out on even a few important tomes at Oriflamme’s would render the game unwinnable; if you lose an auction, the book really is gone forever.

Finding 2: St. Hydra is fun but I was very wrong to call it overpowered; it would be exceedingly hard (if not strictly impossible) to get to a Minor Victory with it. The easiest cult appears to be the Knock one.

Having seen what there is to see with St. Hydra which is a fast way to explore the early game, but runs out of steam because you cannot Exalt anyone, I put aside my doomed Wintercult and switched to The Society of the Holy Wound: starter Knock and Lantern Lore as a Physician, the Geminiad is +2 Knock, the gentler of the +2 Lore-generating nightmares is Knock, Knock Followers bring their valuable Aspect to summonings, and Exalted Knock Followers (Keys) are unstoppable theft machines.

So after Dreaming with Reason, and pulling the second Reason like a coward if it was going to give me Cleansing Dawn/Lantern/Fascination rather than Hersault’s Nightmare/Knock/Dread, and lucking out by stealing a +8 Knock Tool, I used it with my +8 Knock fragment to get Key Neville and Key Enid:

But there’s being a metaphysical Passepartout, and there’s having a practical eye; both Neville and Enid are magpies who’ll steal any old tat. Somewhere in Morland’s there’s probably a book called ‘For Fun and Prophet: How to Steal the Crap you Need Right Now’ – if I could only persuade either of my Keys to nab it.

Finding 3: the easiest current cult/legacy/victory goal combination is possibly, a Knock cult, the Physician Legacy, and the Enlightenment victory. So that’s what I’m playing.

I haven’t done it yet but I reckon you can get one or more Exalted Followers in things other than Knock if you are patient and your Moth/Knock/Forge Disciples are wildly fortunate with stealing/blagging/earning relevant +12 ingredients or tools (Knock Disciples are pretty much not worth risking, though, and the Summoned won’t steal for you – either due to surprisingly lofty principles when it comes to theft, or maybe just a lack of appendages). Even then, Exalteds gained by this laborious, frustrating route would be mostly not as useful as Keys. Skintwisters are currently like Keys with the ability to nix evidence, but without the usefulness as Summoners; Seers can’t yet (I think) give you access to really potent Influences; Assassins mostly kidnap Prisoners; Exalted Winters ‘obtain’ (ahem) Corpses, Tarantellists...do some sort of interpretive-dance PR, I guess.

The exceptions are Reshapers who currently do flawless labwork and get paid in random stuff, making them Keys without the Summoning perk, but who also score 10 in Forge, and Cyprians who are sexpot kidnappers, but also score 10 in Grail. If I try again for a Forge or Grail victory this will no doubt be more relevant. Compared to a Lantern victory, a Forge victory would be difficult, and a Grail one – devoid of any Follower who can steal/con/earn Tools or Ingredients for me with 100% success – would be ‘you gotta be kidding’ difficult, especially from the tempting BYT Legacy start.

Finding 4: Ending the game is a bit of a slog at the moment.

I am now ready to power-thieve my way to getting enough high-tier items to complete the game. I will also (I think) need the Rite Intercalate, because it’s a horrifyingly dangerous rift in reality/it has five slots:

Again, the Summoned are great for boosting Rituals but apparently they are not dumb enough to trifle with the Intercalate, so my lovely assistant will have to be the ill-starred ‘Pope’ Clifton at +5 Lantern. I’m sorry, Clifton. I won't be far behind you.

I think Enlightment must be the easiest victory because you can Dream to generate extra Lantern lore, albeit at the cost of a Reason card which will become Fascination and promptly be grabbed and neutralised by A Season of Visions. When you start becoming a properly Enlightened horrible mindflayer you get an extra Reason card for every sap whose psyche you guzzle in order to raise/maintain your Mark at 6 (diet tip: always keep a Prisoner in your snack cupboard).

And now I’m stuck at getting to the Seventh and final Mark, using all the Lantern aspect I can scrape together in the Rite Intercalate, with my honed Summoning skills being not much use in the current endgame. The Aspect Number I’m aiming for is 36, apparently to be made up any way that falls to hand.

I cannot for the love of me work out how to get the game to tell me this information, though it’s quite possible it did so in a one-time panel I failed to read properly – I looked through Resources for the words ‘thirty-six’ on a Hersault-inspired hunch (Late Edit: the Rite Intercalate generates six slots; the one for the Obsession card is right on the very bottom and fascinatingly, you need to use the scrollbar to notice it, load the Obsession card, and get your helpful hint). With only theft to gain me Tools, potions etc. and The Cleansing Dawn nightmare to generate a trickle of Lantern lore it may be rather slow going until I get my Seventh Mark and the Watchman comes for me. Unless I’m missing the obvious, yet again.

I’ve still got Wakefield on my case, since the respawning Weary Detective needs more skill to juggle than I possess, so I tend to stick with Moth-Eating Tentative Evidence and slinging the Bureau the occasional Scapegoat...who as a result of a fun bug does not have to be even approximately human:

“...and that, Sergeant, is why most of us on the Bureau wear galoshes these days.”
edited by Vexpont on 3/15/2018

--
Dangerous to my enemies; loyal to my friends. Not too handy at telling the difference.

+2 link

3/15/2018
Vexpont wrote:
In terms of looking behind the curtain, I checked to see if we can officially learn Fucine yet – not unless you’re very fortunate, I think. And I do check to see if I’ve just been so stupidly unlucky it’s a bug; usually the answer is ‘just unlucky, stupid’.

I've apparently been quite lucky in this one regard. I got a book that let me study Fucine. The Geminiad gives 3 level-8 lores (Heart, Moth, Grail) when read, along with a version of the book that still has the Knock aspect but can't be read again.

Finding 2: St. Hydra is fun but I was very wrong to call it overpowered; it would be exceedingly hard (if not strictly impossible) to get to a Minor Victory with it. The easiest cult appears to be the Knock one.

Having seen what there is to see with St. Hydra which is a fast way to explore the early game, but runs out of steam because you cannot Exalt anyone, I put aside my doomed Wintercult and switched to The Society of the Holy Wound: starter Knock and Lantern Lore as a Physician, the Geminiad is +2 Knock, the gentler of the +2 Lore-generating nightmares is Knock, Knock Followers bring their valuable Aspect to summonings, and Exalted Knock Followers (Keys) are unstoppable theft machines.

So after Dreaming with Reason, and pulling the second Reason like a coward if it was going to give me Cleansing Dawn/Lantern/Fascination rather than Hersault’s Nightmare/Knock/Dread, and lucking out by stealing a +8 Knock Tool, I used it with my +8 Knock fragment to get Key Neville and Key Enid:

On the other hand, I've been extremely unlucky in terms of not getting a +8 Knock item. I've had all of my Forge and Knock cultists die without getting anything to upgrade to Keys. If you don't get a +8 Knock tool/ingredient it's entirely possible to lose everyone who would be useful. This is particularly annoying since I've gotten to 30 Lantern but I don't have any Lantern Tools as far as I can tell. I might be able to get to 34 by summoning the Baldomerian, but I don't have anyone to steal things so I can't get the remaining couple of points.

Edit: I did a little stuff to check if there are Influences beyond level 6, since they're the only thing I can get at this point. The answer seems to be "no", which means I literally cannot win right now. I have no way of getting a Lantern Tool or a better version of anything else. I could have won if I hadn't used the Noonstone in a ritual a while ago, so I'll probably cheat it back in to see what happens and then start a new game which is what I would have done anyway.

Finding 4: Ending the game is a bit of a slog at the moment.

I am now ready to power-thieve my way to getting enough high-tier items to complete the game. I will also (I think) need the Rite Intercalate, because it’s a horrifyingly dangerous rift in reality/it has five slots:

Again, the Summoned are great for boosting Rituals but apparently they are not dumb enough to trifle with the Intercalate, so my lovely assistant will have to be the ill-starred ‘Pope’ Clifton at +5 Lantern. I’m sorry, Clifton. I won't be far behind you.

At least some Summons have the Follower aspect and can go in that slot. The Hint definitely does, and I suspect most of them do. That means you can get, at minimum, a Hint for +8 Lantern, and maybe the Baldomerian for +12 if she also has that aspect. Edit: Yes, she does.

I think Enlightment must be the easiest victory because you can Dream to generate extra Lantern lore, albeit at the cost of a Reason card which will become Fascination and promptly be grabbed and neutralised by A Season of Visions. When you start becoming a properly Enlightened horrible mindflayer you get an extra Reason card for every sap whose psyche you guzzle in order to raise/maintain your Mark at 6 (diet tip: always keep a Prisoner in your snack cupboard).

I think you can only generate one extra Lantern lore, since the Tree of Lights only happens once. Unless I'm mistaken about that, but I certainly haven't seen it multiple times, and some other people had the same impression as me. It'll get you to +8, but that's it. I also suspect that Hersault's Nightmare is only successful once, unless I'm being extremely unlucky trying to get more stuff out of it.

And now I’m stuck at getting to the Seventh and final Mark, using all the Lantern aspect I can scrape together in the Rite Intercalate, with my honed Summoning skills being not much use in the current endgame. The Aspect Number I’m aiming for is 36, apparently to be made up any way that falls to hand.

I cannot for the love of me work out how to get the game to tell me this information, though it’s quite possible it did so in a one-time panel I failed to read properly – I looked through Resources for the words ‘thirty-six’ on a Hersault-inspired hunch (Late Edit: the Rite Intercalate generates seven slots; the one for the Obsession card is right on the very bottom and fascinatingly, you need to use the scrollbar to notice it, load the Obsession card, and get your helpful hint).

You can also put the Obsession into any Rite with a Desire slot, such as the Watchman's Sorrow. That will give you the same hint.
edited by illuminati swag (Benthic) on 3/15/2018
+1 link

3/16/2018
Weather Factory post on Sanskrit text from some of the books in the next update.

And a new image from Twitter, apparently listing some of the new books with their authors:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
edited by illuminati swag (Benthic) on 3/16/2018
+1 link

3/17/2018
Since it's only possible to have one spoiler per post, my guesses for which phrases are from actual Tantra are below.

[spoiler]
My guesses for the two real ones would be the Furious Tantra (“A full moon appears, creatures are reborn and even a lizard should not be slain, for it could be you.”) and the Devoured Tantra (“A million blazing fires in the belly engulf what has been swallowed by the multiform mouths.”)
[/spoiler]
0 link
Clifton Royston
Clifton Royston

3/17/2018
Since it's only possible to have one spoiler per post, my guesses for which phrases are from actual Tantra are below.

I was looking at those earlier and would guess quite differently, almost the opposite in fact.

[spoiler]My guesses for the two real ones would instead be the CeaselessTantra (“That which does not cease, is not ceased.”) because it just sounds like traditional Indian metaphysical reasoning, and The Shaven Lock Tantra / The One Who Has Shaven His Hair (“Whisper your secrets into the earth, burn them in fire, scatter them in the sea. Still they will cling to your hair.”) because shaving ones head is an important traditional sign of asceticism, Hindu or Buddhist. [/spoiler]

--
A person of little significance:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/cliftonr

Currently accepting all non-harmful social actions, at least until I learn better.
+1 link

3/17/2018
Clifton Royston wrote:

I was looking at those earlier and would guess quite differently, almost the opposite in fact.

[spoiler]
"That which does not cease, is not ceased" is possible but seems a bit too pithy and apt, which is why I'd guess it to have been written for CS. Compare "we must devour to be devoured; we cannot be undevoured, as we cannot be unborn". Shaven Lock seems like very Alexis-y prose, so I'd expect it to have been written by him. The Devoured Tantra and the Furious Tantra sound, in my opinion, the least like Alexis's style, and thus the most likely to be actual tantra. The Devoured Tantra sounds like a description of a demon, which feels plausible to the translations I've read of some Indian texts, and similarly with the Furious Tantra.
[/spoiler]
+2 link
Clifton Royston
Clifton Royston

3/17/2018
Something further just clicked for me about the game design and how it works thematically.

I've been finding it pretty hard to put together a lot of the summons out of the pieces I have on hand - lore, ingredients, cultists, tools, etc. because of the need to have Knock + at least two other principles in some proportion. Of course to get virtually anywhere, you have to get some kind of other element from somewhere besides your lore and cultists, and so even if it's not what you'd personally prefer you have to send some of your people out to swindle or burglarize others. Even if it's not what your character would prefer, it's for a worthwhile cause.

But of course the corpse summons are easy, and I just thought "Aha, prisoners have several principles!", so if you've got a prisoner to sacrifice then it's much easier to raise something big. And thus the game gently guides you past theft and robbery and on to murder and human sacrifice, all in the pursuit of knowledge and power.

Just as advertised on the package, inn't it? A++ well done.

--
A person of little significance:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/cliftonr

Currently accepting all non-harmful social actions, at least until I learn better.
+3 link
Vexpont
Vexpont

3/18/2018
cliftonr wrote:
But of course the corpse summons are easy, and I just thought "Aha, prisoners have several principles!", so if you've got a prisoner to sacrifice then it's much easier to raise something big. And thus the game gently guides you past theft and robbery and on to murder and human sacrifice, all in the pursuit of knowledge and power.

As a Cultist with Obsession:Enlightment, I just wish I had spare Prisoners to sacrifice. They must be treated with every courtesy, given reading materials, games, and pastimes, reassured that they're actually on a witness protection scheme, and on no account be allowed to become bored. One never knows when the need for Conversation will strike.

On the other hand, I've been extremely unlucky in terms of not getting a +8 Knock item. I've had all of my Forge and Knock cultists die without getting anything to upgrade to Keys. If you don't get a +8 Knock tool/ingredient it's entirely possible to lose everyone who would be useful. This is particularly annoying since I've gotten to 30 Lantern but I don't have any Lantern Tools as far as I can tell. I might be able to get to 34 by summoning the Baldomerian, but I don't have anyone to steal things so I can't get the remaining couple of points.

Unfortunately, since the glad day when a Consecrated Lintel fell off the back of a lorry, my rolls as a pathologically vain Knock medic have been cursed at the subatomic level, but even if I were a bit more fortunate, finishing the game at present is still Very Hard. Here's the sad best I can currently do in seeking Enlightenment (if I can put Teresa in the empty slot, I get to Lantern 30):

Spoilers to reduce post length.

[spoiler]My Grail and Edge Disciples fail to obtain a living mind for me, three or four times in a row, which would merely be a sub 3%/sub 1% level of poor luck. Have I siphoned all the free-range cogitation from this city? Is it Time to turn on my own flock? I can best spare the Heart crowd, I suppose, though I’ve mixed feelings about optimists, especially Clovette; it would be like snorting icing-sugar. Alas for Inspector Wakefield, whose underpaid synapses would sustain me for weeks. But it is not to be, and I scorn to have him murdered, though I would be tempted if he offered me a coinflip: Excision for me if I lose – or for him, a Conversation with one who truly appreciates his mind. I suppose that classically, the villain should take the initiative. I shall keep a spintria in my pocket, Zachary, in case we ever meet.

I don’t fear the Bureau now. The Rite of the Beast’s Division plus Knock Lore allows me to keep a self-recycling Raw Prophet (messy creatures, but obliging) or a recopying Hint on hand:

Anonymously sending the Bureau an occasional Prophet really quietens them off; I hate to think of their laundry bills. And finally Rose manages to kidnap someone! Things are looking up.

Whoops. I take my eye off the ball on a Hinter summoning!

Olympe Bechet, who obviated her usefulness by teaching me Greek, knows nothing about it as she turns her back to a cheval-mirror. I like to think that Ysabet plays the grieving niece and retrieves Madame’s body. When my ex-tutor takes root, we shall plant her in the yard.

Sadly, Enid and Neville continue to steal like they’re raiding a department-store drunk and blindfold, if the place sold Piebald Pigment, Bitterblack Salts, Greydawn Oil, Rose-Pearl Dust, Labhitic Grains, the Byzantine Tinct and Refulgin (+4 Lantern, nice but no damn cigar). Also a Cinnabar Amulet, a Paradoxical Curio, an Icon of St. Agnes, Stained Gloves and Furious Silver (a magnificent +12 Edge Tool that wants to puncture the universe in the left ventricle, and which I wield like sheep-shears).

Enid nabs the Journal of a scholar of Fucine! I greedily translate the Geminiad, and it helps with Summonings quite a bit, but none of the Lore is Lantern. My Keys then nick:

A Meteoric Bullet
Martensite Paste (perhaps we should start an Armoury...)
A Malleus Imperative
A Bone Flute (...or a Marching Band)
Wolf-Snow
An Elegabaline Manacle
Funds (Why Neville, why?)
Wolf-Snow again
A Kingskin Bodhran (+12 Heart tool. Could be old Jan Zizka himself, if Bodhrans were only a little more Czech)

etc. etfc. I think I must have committed well over 40 acts of larceny (for real, it must be more but I've lost count), and still I cannot get to Lantern 36 even with Teresa. My time on this plane is not indefinite. Even a Disciple-level kidnapper will eventually fail and vanish, leaving me with no Prisoners with which to have nutritious Conversations; I will dwindle to a nagging little gleam, and be snuffed out in the Mansus like rest.

Actually, as some point, I will throw in the ichor-stained towel and generate a suitable card. The burglary system is only a very temporary stop-gap and it can be brutal; I also think that it is perhaps possible to exhaust the possibilities without getting what you need. But I would kind of like to get a natural endgame once.[/spoiler]

--

+3 link

3/19/2018
A few thoughts on choice of cult:

I think the easiest cult to Exalt with would be Lantern, since you can get a level-8 Lore and summon a Hinter to be able to Exalt disciples. Unfortunately, it's not a particularly useful cult to Exalt disciples in, since the only thing they can do at the moment is produce Influences. Influences have their uses, but Ingredients and Tools are a lot better. Also, Lantern lets you get Disciples as soon as you get to a level-6 Lantern lore using Contentment, which is pretty useful. Lantern Exalted aren't necessary to win the game, since you can summon the Baldomerian, but if you have one it's a lot easier to summon her without having to e.g. sacrifice lores.

The Holy Wound lets you get similarly high lore quantities, but no summons have Knock as far as I know, so you have to rely on Disciples to get you a +8 Knock item to get Keys. If you get Keys they'll be able to steal lots of items, of course. I don't think they're the most useful for rituals, though, since you only need a small amount of Knock to do things. You can get Disciples using Injuries, which is pretty decent.

I'm using the Wildwood Club this run and I'm thinking it might be a mistake but I'm not sure. Skintwisters are probably the most useful Exalted right now, since they can get items and destroy evidence, whereas any other Exalted can only do one thing. It's possible to summon beings with high Moth, so theoretically if I could get level-8 Moth lore I'd be able to get Skintwisters. However, I misremembered how much Moth lore you get from normal books, so right now I'm stuck at 6. The Geminiad gives Moldywarp Admonitions if you research it, but that requires getting the Fucine textbook. I've done a bit of snooping around and it's about as common as any particular level-4 item, so it's more likely to get it than it is to get a level-8 Knock item specifically, but it's still risky and not at all guaranteed. You can get Disciples using Peculiar Rumours, and if you kept your head down during the early game you should have accumulated a good supply of them, and they aren't likely to be very useful for anything else.

Forge can promote Disciples via Funds, which is quite good, and certainly easier than Injuries. It only goes up to level-6 Lore from books, but there's a summon with 12 Forge so, if you manage to amass the aspects required to summon it, you can get Reshapers. Forge cultists get items so Reshapers should be up there with Keys in terms of how useful they are. I haven't ever tried summoning King Crucible but it should be possible with a Caligine and a few other items. You might need the Intercalate to get it all together but you shouldn't have to sacrifice anything that isn't replaceable, if I have this right. Honestly this might be the best combination of Exalted utility and ease of Exaltation.

EDIT: I was wrong. It turns out you can get another piece of Moth-lore from the Tree of Lights, by not putting in Reason for the Cleansing Dawn. Unfortunately, this means that you can't ever get the Tree of Lights again, so no more Cleansing Dawn and Lantern-lore once you do that, but it means that you can get to 8 Moth-lore and therefore upgrade without taking any items, and without any cost other than time if you wait to get as much Lantern as you want out of it. Thanks to Lapis on the Discord. Also, I was a bit mistaken in my assumptions about how best to summon King Crucible - since Funds are an Ingredient rather than a Tool, you can't stack them with Injuries, so you might have to sacrifice something small to get him the first time. These two facts mean that Moth is indeed the most useful cult at the moment, if I'm right about all of this. That said, Skintwisters may not be quite as useful as I thought - if some people on the Discord are right, they have a 100% chance of destroying evidence. But they should still have a 100% at getting items, which is the main reason they're good, and you can summon Raw Prophets infinitely to throw at evidence. Glory be to the Moth, in whose Hour I now Exalt my Skintwisters.
edited by illuminati swag (Benthic) on 3/21/2018
+2 link