Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

Election 1895: A Winner Announced! Messages in this topic - RSS

Sir Frederick
Sir Frederick
Administrator

7/16/2017
dov wrote:
Do you have any references to her ever being a representative of the law?

"Representative of the law" does not appear to be a legally-protected term - I think we can fairly take it to refer to a private investigator who works closely with the police as well as to those officially employed by the government for the same purposes.

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
+1 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

7/17/2017
She is qualified to give lectures to the police body and attendance is even considered a privilege, so it wouldn't be too outlandish to call her that.

--
Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
I currently do not accept any catbox, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
+1 link
dov
dov

7/17/2017
Estelle Knoht wrote:
She is qualified to give lectures to the police body and attendance is even considered a privilege, so it wouldn't be too outlandish to call her that.

So is the player character (called for consultations and to help the police), but I believe most of us don't consider ourselves as an "official representative of the law", or "officer of the law".

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+2 link
Sir Frederick
Sir Frederick
Administrator

7/17/2017
Hey, speak for yourself. I am a consulting detective, a servant of justice, and one of the foremost criminal agents of our age! ...okay, I solve the occasional case.

--
FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
+1 link
dov
dov

7/17/2017
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook wrote:
Hey, speak for yourself. I am a consulting detective, a servant of justice, and one of the foremost criminal agents of our age! ...okay, I solve the occasional case.

I did say "most of us", and also "I believe".

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
0 link
Sir Frederick
Sir Frederick
Administrator

7/17/2017
Well, as the FL story arc is a journey across Victorian popular fiction, we all get at least a taste of detecting. That's a totally valid character signifier for anyone who wants to claim it.

--
+2 link
dov
dov

7/17/2017
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook wrote:
Well, as the FL story arc is a journey across Victorian popular fiction, we all get at least a taste of detecting. That's a totally valid character signifier for anyone who wants to claim it.

Oh, absolutely! Perfectly valid.

I just have the feeling this is not how most of the players see their character. But what do I know?

--
+1 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

7/17/2017
Just imagine the old lady to be a hyper focused player who does nothing but grind Constable Renown 24/7 even if she capped it, and there you go :P

--
+4 link

7/18/2017
I find this election really absurd from a lore perspective. Everything I've read in the game paints Tomb Colonists as ostracized and removed from normal London society. Furthermore a major part of Feducci's reputation is his duels to the final death, why would the average Londoner consider that a good thing? The black ribbon society is barbaric, it offers no political clout, and it just paints Feducci as a sadomasochistic pointless risk-taking madman.

BFW edit: Nope
edited by babelfishwars on 7/19/2017
-7 link
Sir Frederick
Sir Frederick
Administrator

7/18/2017
Woah woah woah; I'll bring your attention to the forum rules - in particular, the section "Be polite and respectful. Don’t post anything aggressive or personally offensive".

--
+11 link
Wilhelm Klossner
Wilhelm Klossner

7/18/2017
GaryStudebaker wrote:
Of course the player base would vote overwhelmingly for him because he's a badass mysterious male and his portrait looks cool. That's what the typical manchild gamer likes.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that the player base of "Fallen London" consists of "typical manchild gamers". Not only these accusations are needlessly heavy and offensive, they are most likely completely baseless as well.

--
Big Scary Mouse — Gone NORTH

Wilhelm Klossner
+10 link
The Soft-Hearted Revolutionary
The Soft-Hearted Revolutionary

7/18/2017
Also, it was not exactly an overwhelming victory, Feducci did not even reach 50%
+3 link
dov
dov

7/18/2017
The Soft-Hearted Revolutionary wrote:
Also, it was not exactly an overwhelming victory, Feducci did not even reach 50%

We'll know more when FBG release their statistics, but "nearly half the vote" is a pretty overwhelming victory in a 3-way race, unless one of the other candidates received almost no votes.

--
+2 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

7/18/2017
I think it is a parody post? If you look at his profile, it is all MAN SLIME MAN MUCUS MAN MAN MAN. Not exactly fitting with these "dang manchildren" posts.

That said, if you are serious... skim the forums or any social media regarding the Election and you will find most people voting for Feducci because they just want to see more Elder Continent, or for the fact the other two just don't have as much exposure beforehand.

Really, the playerbases are probably more weeaboo bandage fetishist, see, because both mayor had bandages.

--
+3 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

7/18/2017
Did anyone actually vote for a candidate they didn't think was cool? I thought the DTC was very cool. I nominated her because of her cool factor :P I want to see more of her because she is so cool. ^_^

From a "lore" perspective, London is a violent city full of violent adventurers, so electing a violent adventurer mayor would not be out of character for the place. And Tomb Colonists can be rather fashionable - the Mercies for example are highly prized guests at London's many salons despite, or perhaps because of, their tendency to shoot holes in the ceiling. And, you know, Feducci isn't really a Tomb Colonist and I think most Londoners suspect as much, even if they don't voice their suspicions out loud.... :P

Anyway, I thought Feducci a very realistic candidate. He fit the city and had this "I'm going to steal your stuff and you're going to let me because I'm awesome" confidence to him.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/18/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair

Happy Hallowmas! Please share your Feducci interactions!

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic25298-share-your-feducci-interactions.aspx?MessageID=207908#post207908
+7 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/18/2017
I also think part of why Feducci works, lore-wise, is that he's an incompetent mayor. Many Londoners wouldn't even want a competent government, because that would crimp their rather, ah, free-spirited style.

EDIT: Also, if you like, consider it the fault of the Masters. They don't want a competent mayor, either, and both of the other candidates may have made things inconvenient for them.
edited by Isaac Zienfried on 7/18/2017

--
Isaac Zienfried, 'The Vacillating Belligerent.'
A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
But really, it's hard to keep things simple down here!
+3 link

7/18/2017
Regardless of the game's established fiction, from a meta gaming perspective it was obvious Feducci was going to win; I even suspect the competing candidates were chosen specifically to make sure he won.

BFW Edit: Nope
edited by babelfishwars on 7/19/2017
-11 link
Sir Frederick
Sir Frederick
Administrator

7/18/2017
Mr Studebaker, if you are being deliberately provocative, I'll remind you once again to review the forum rules - consider yourself officially warned. Ms Vaincœur, I'll remind you that we must be civil even when others are being rude, and refrain from personal slights.

While I can't pretend to know for sure, I do like to think that Fallen London players, as a set, are right-minded good-hearted folks. And I certainly don't think Failbetter set out to shoo Feducci into office, by making him the only man running or by any other means.

--
+11 link
Kukapetal
Kukapetal

7/18/2017
GaryStudebaker wrote:

Why was it obvious Feducci would win? Misogyny... it still is a major factor in real life politics, so it's going to be magnified many times over in the gaming community. A couple old woman just don't appeal to the typical white male gamer, just look at things like the 'GamerGate' controversy and you'll see the reaction to feminist notions by the gaming community at large is VIOLENT rejection.

So why did Jenny win last year, despite running against two male characters? :P
+5 link
Lady Sapho Byron
Lady Sapho Byron

7/18/2017
GaryStudebaker wrote:
Why was it obvious Feducci would win? Misogyny...

On the other hand, Jenny defeated the Contrarian and the Bishop.

In the two elections, I suspect the sum of all votes for female characters and the sum of all votes for male characters is about the same.

Election 1894: Jenny ~50%, Bishop+Contrarian ~50%
Election 1895: Feducci ~50%, DTC+Detective ~50%

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
Fighting the Menace of Corestry Since 1892.
+2 link